PDA

View Full Version : text messages to PC?

batnurse
27th-March-2009, 02:58 PM
Is it possible to download text messages from my mobile to my PC? I have hundreds that I don't want to lose should my phone die / get lost / get stolen.
It's a pretty basic Nokia 2630 and wasn't sold with any leads except the charger.
Can anyone out there please help this poor old technophobe? :flower:

pmjd
27th-March-2009, 03:11 PM
If you don't have one you'll need to get either a data cable or a bluetooth adapter for your computer, it's the only way to get your phone to connect to a computer. Haven't used it in ages but nokia's own software, which you can download from there website, should be able to back up your phone and it's contents.

HTH
Paul

jeanie
27th-March-2009, 03:17 PM
If you're with o2 sign up for their 'bluebook' online. From the moment you sign up they will store all messages received/sent online for you. (for future messages you want to keep :D)

Depending on what you're tariff is (free texts), you can also forward your texts to an email address if you can't download them from your phone. Then you have them that way too!

DavidY
27th-March-2009, 05:38 PM
Haven't used it in ages but nokia's own software, which you can download from there website, should be able to back up your phone and it's contents.
:yeah: to what pmjd said.

I have a Nokia and have used the software - the version I have allows you to copy texts to a comma-separated file (which you can open in spreadsheet software).

Agente Secreto
27th-March-2009, 07:47 PM
If you don't have one you'll need to get either a data cable or a bluetooth adapter for your computer, it's the only way to get your phone to connect to a computer. Haven't used it in ages but nokia's own software, which you can download from there website, should be able to back up your phone and it's contents.

HTH
Paul

Looks like bluetooth for you. A friend had that phone and there is no cable connection to PC. You can buy a device that backs up the whole content of the SIM, that might be an easier option.

Lost Leader
27th-March-2009, 08:27 PM
(stuff about text messages)

Incoming message for Batnurse - have you booked for Southport in May yet?

DavidY
27th-March-2009, 08:33 PM
You can buy a device that backs up the whole content of the SIM, that might be an easier option.OK - stupid question - do text messages actually get stored on the SIM?

I know that when I swapped my SIM to a new phone, the text messages didn't transfer across, and a couple of phones back my phone could only store about 20 messages - I was told this was because this was the capacity of the SIM.:confused:

(My SIM is probably quite old by now - maybe newer ones have more capacity??)

pmjd
27th-March-2009, 08:53 PM
Looks like bluetooth for you. A friend had that phone and there is no cable connection to PC. You can buy a device that backs up the whole content of the SIM, that might be an easier option.
Checked ebay and found a data cable that claimed to work with Batnurse's phone.

OK - stupid question - do text messages actually get stored on the SIM?

I know that when I swapped my SIM to a new phone, the text messages didn't transfer across, and a couple of phones back my phone could only store about 20 messages - I was told this was because this was the capacity of the SIM.:confused:

(My SIM is probably quite old by now - maybe newer ones have more capacity??)

SIMs have increased in capacity to nearer 250 messages these days but it's more usual for texts to be stored on the phone memory these days as there is more space. That's why your texts didn't come with you David, they were left behind on the phone.

As far as I know AS the SIM back things would be very limited in capacity, so making an incremental backup of all your texts might not be an option, plus the fact that the messages are more likely to be stored on the phone these days too.

batnurse
30th-March-2009, 08:41 AM
Big thanks to everyone who posted a reply :hug:
I have now ordered a cable from Ebay.

Tracey XX