PDA

View Full Version : A plea.....

TheTramp
24th-November-2003, 04:54 PM
Well. Things have been getting a little fraught recently on the forum, with a number of people, and mentioning no names at all....

Having been around the internet for longer than most (about 12 years now), it's something I've seen a lot of times in the past.

People, when they are typing, tend to be a little more forward than when they are face-to-face. This happens a lot in emails, forums, messenger programs etc.

This forum has always been a friendly place to get together to discuss all things dance, and anything else as well - even previously when there's been a difference of views on a particular topic. I'd really hate for it to degenerate into something other than this.

When everyone is posting, please try to remember that you are talking to, or about, another person, and act accordingly. Even if the people you are talking about don't appear to be on the forum, it's quite likely (given the popularity of it) that the person you've just talked about will find out exactly what you've said from someone else.

Everyone has their own opinions about other people (some of you may even have one or two about me!). The forum is not always the best place to air them....

Steve

stewart38
24th-November-2003, 05:34 PM
agree, can't rememember who posted this :sick: ????

""Okie. Firstly, it was 36, and not 38. If you're going to quote me, at least have the decency to quote me correctly.

Secondly, you know nothing about the circumstances, or the road I was driving on. How can you have the gall to judge me?

Thirdly, 'bad behaviour'?? Maybe, in the eyes of the law. However, if you were less patronising, it'd probably help. It's your opinion, I'm not personally attacking you because you hold it. I'd appreciate it if you returned the favour."""

:what:

Emma
24th-November-2003, 05:37 PM
Well said Steve :cheers:

TheTramp
24th-November-2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by stewart38
agree, can't rememember who posted this :sick: ????

""Okie. Firstly, it was 36, and not 38. If you're going to quote me, at least have the decency to quote me correctly.

Secondly, you know nothing about the circumstances, or the road I was driving on. How can you have the gall to judge me?

Thirdly, 'bad behaviour'?? Maybe, in the eyes of the law. However, if you were less patronising, it'd probably help. It's your opinion, I'm not personally attacking you because you hold it. I'd appreciate it if you returned the favour."""

:what: Your point being??

I haven't really attacked anyone in that post for anything other than what they've previously written to me. Secondly, later on in the same thread, I publically apologised to the person that post was aimed at as I realised I sounded too harsh. Finally, I never claimed to be perfect.

Steve

michael
24th-November-2003, 06:03 PM
I think Steve was merely suggesting that things should not get too personal.

i have made a mistake on one post i done way back prompted by various people and being new to the forum, but it was my error and i quickly apologised several times to the person concerned, which is a reflection on how anoyed i was with myself let alone any offence caused. We all make mistakes but lets all think carefully before we jump in with both feet.

If you are unaware of your errors it is easy to forgive. Some people are well aware that they are causing offence and that is an entirely different matter.

We all love dancing so we should all appreciate and laugh at each others difference of opinion, views or whatever but lets keep insults out of the dancing scene.

Well done Steve for starting the thread it is timely.:cheers:

Dreadful Scathe
24th-November-2003, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
Finally, I never claimed to be perfect.

Kinda ironic that the first post in reply to your plea for less personal attacks sounds very much like a personal attack :rofl:
Hopefully stewart38 was trying to be funny, but his post highlights your point - its difficult to tell on a forum - a dry sense of humour can come across as downright nasty. A little common sense is a good idea, i do often post the first thing that comes into my head as you may have noticed :) but i dont think it gets too personal!

I dont know who you are reffering to in your plea, i just hope its not me :what: Ive not caught up with the forum much today.

TheTramp
24th-November-2003, 06:45 PM
I wasn't referring to anyone at all. It was a general post.

And yes, I quite agree that posting anything, followed by a 'smiley' does not in any way excuse what is said. In fact, posting something derogatory following it by a smiley quite often looks like a smirk which can be worse....

Steve

Graham
24th-November-2003, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
I dont know who you are reffering to in your plea, i just hope its not me :what: Ive not caught up with the forum much today. It's not you. And we don't want to name names on this thread.

I agree about the humour thing - I know of one person who stopped posting because nobody except his friends understood when he was joking and he came across as nasty to the uninitiated.

Will
24th-November-2003, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Graham
It's not you. And we don't want to name names on this thread.
Well I know who it is and I AM prepared to name and shame that wicked and nasty person.

Indeed DavidB has continuously, viscously and totally unprovoked, attacked the Glorious Manchester City FC. He is doing this to deliberately upset the majority of the people on this forum who LOVE the super blues.

I want to thank the thousands of people who have PM'd me saying that they too know that Man City is the greatest football team on earth and that they know that DavidB's evil antics are the bad fruit of jelousy as he see's his Leeds Utd team (who's players spend more time at police stations than on the pitch these days) slump to into further debt and non-league anonimatee.

In summary, I call on you, David, to post an unadulterated apology and show good will to the majority of peace loving members of the forum by purchasing a season ticket for the City of Manchester Stadium.

I thankyou.

Graham
25th-November-2003, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by Will
In summary, I call on you, David, to post an unadulterated apology and show good will to the majority of peace loving members of the forum by purchasing a season ticket for the City of Manchester Stadium. And I think, David, that you should make sure your seat is in the Bell End, in honour of Will.

xSalsa_Angelx
25th-November-2003, 12:44 AM
Steve honey,
maybe you should have emailed or sent a message to the person concerned that upset you or you thought that was out of order,
I knew where you were coming from by your post, but other people might take it the wrong way if they dont know you..!!

I know that you are a shy person and things may upset you (have not seen the post that you are reffering to btw)
some little weasels upset me on AOL the other night...!!! by saying crap on instant mesage, its only writing i know but words say alot even when you are the shy type person, as you say some peeps can be more forward on the internet.

but i dont say nothing on heren that i would not say in public, ask me any Q in public and i would give you the same amswer as on here, what the hell steve you only live once.

I used to be so shy a few years ago but have come to relise there is no point.

but glad you put across how you felt and i agree in certain ways.

hope i have not upset you, slap me otherwise when u see me next if i have you have my permission..!!!

Lynz xx

Chris
25th-November-2003, 08:28 AM
Getting back to the basic idea of the original thread (without anything else the poster might have meant), it's a good one and I think it is extremely difficult for some people to get the hang of posting comfortably. I could have almost done with a 'forum-taxi' to keep me right!

When there's personal history between individuals it can easily get out of hand - when they're fun exchanges or sweet nothings the rest of us can look on and enjoy; but if there isn't a close communication between the individuals and words are more heated it's less pleasant to watch, and even genuine attempts to build bridges can sometimes make things worse.

Every internet area and every forum is different - even if the basic 'rules' can be similar: it can take a while to see how they work in practice.

When there's personal history between individuals it can easily get out of hand - when they're fun exchanges or sweet nothings the rest of us can look on and enjoy; but if there isn't a close communication between the individuals and words are more heated it's less pleasant to watch, and even genuine attempts to build bridges can sometimes make things worse.

It can be like a baptism of fire. After getting into a scrap with someone I have the warmest regard towards (but not a close communication these days) I felt embarrassed - in that sense the recent scrap made me feel more human - thank you to the two people involved for that (and looking thru the old 'outside' threads also got a smile at Tramp's embarrassment - sorry mate!).

The rule of thumb I use for email is that it's okay when both parties are on the same wavelength about something - if there's a genuine difference of opinion or there's serious issues involves, email is easily misunderstood. This maybe applies to an extent to the Forum I think - what do more experienced 'netiquette' forumites reckon? Will it maybe help to discuss abstract principles if we can do so without raking up old threads (which would have the opposite, and negative, effect to the one this thread title suggests in a positive way)?
:hug:

Dan Hudson
25th-November-2003, 09:26 AM
Well said Mr Tramp.. totally agree.

I don't read the forum enough to know who you are on about but the principle is right..

:cheers: :cheers:

stewart38
25th-November-2003, 10:42 AM
I apologise to The Tramp

It wasn't funny and certainly not in the appropriate Thread

I remember my first two posting and I received what 'I precieved' to be a lot of sarcasm and this really got to me

As a more experience poster I do realize there is a fine line between a 'dry sense of humor' e.g. supporting Luton Town and pure rudeness

Sandy
25th-November-2003, 11:14 AM
Steve you have raised a good point. I'm sure many people on the forum cringe when they go back a few days or weeks and read threads they have previously posted. Probably better to read carefully before posting and also to think "how would I react to this??"

I know I have blushed when reading past threads:sorry but hopefully never offended but will make sure I am more careful now!

Sandy:wink:

Bill
25th-November-2003, 11:25 AM
Fine line between saying what you really think/believe and having a go at someone.

I remember having a go at Erik in London because of how I interpreted his messages but having now met him I understand his humour :rolleyes:

Curtain and I also had, what looked like a few spats but were in fact just winding each other up and having fun but it could - and did look as if we really meant it.

If someone does feel passionate about something then it may look as if they are being very rude or belittling someone else. I've also got it wrong at work a couple of times and received emails I've identified as being rude or insulting when the author was probably just being brief.

Any non face to face contact can lead to problems but at least if we apologise then hopefully things can improve again.

DavidB
27th-November-2003, 01:59 AM
It has come to my attention that a certain Mr Hargreaves has been making unfounded allegations against me.

Unfortunately I have no way of reading his post. I have recently installed a junk filter, and this blocks known troublemakers, junk content and bad language (such as M********r C**y). Will's posts generally get blocked on all three counts.

In addition, ever since Will's description was changed to Official Sports Comentator, his posts fail a sanity check. After all, no-one in their right mind could mention 'M********r C**y' and 'sport' in the same post.

Fortunately this state of affairs may not last much longer. Will has recently come out of the closet - his choice of car colour indicates his real love is indeed Manchester United, and not C**y. Man U might be the most hated football team in the world, but they are a football team, and not a bunch of comedians.

David Barker

TheTramp
27th-November-2003, 04:52 AM
Originally posted by DavidB
Man U might be the most hated football team in the world, but they are a football team, and not a bunch of comedians. And at least they are still a going concern!! :D Unlike some. Well, one. :na:

Steve

Chris
27th-November-2003, 06:55 AM
Unlike some. Well, one. :na:

Dear Correspondent

I love and respect you;

I feel warm and fuzzy.

This, however, is a load of b*llocks.

Just because Manchester United are a going concern does not mean they are a not a bunch of comedians. In fact they can probably afford some very good comedians. Quite a few in fact.

Q: How many Manchester Utd. fans does it take to change a light bulb? A: Three. One to change the bulb, one to buy the '1999 light bulb changing' commemorative T-shirt and video, and one to drive the other two back to London.

Andy McGregor
27th-November-2003, 11:28 AM
A personal plea...

I am passionate about my dancing, probably uncurably addicted. This sometimes leads me to go OTT about things I feel are wrong on the dance scene or could be improved. I recently got a missing half hours music/dancing at Camber completely out of proportion and was, quite rightly, flamed to a crisp for it:tears:

I have never intentionally made anything I've said personal. I have disagreed with opinions or actions related to dance and I've argued against those opinions or actions - probably too strongly so it could sound personal - but that is not my intention. It has always been my belief that I should never make or respond to any nasty personal comments about people in a way that is upsetting to an individual or perpetuates the thread keeping that argument alive. In my opinion, the Forum is not the place for personal disagreements, it's about dancing with a bit of social stuff between dancers.

I have poked fun at people like The Tramp, Lounge Lizard and ChrisA, but that's been friendly banter which I know they can stand and hope others find entertaining.

Of course I could claim insanity - visit the Department of Wiggling thread here (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1827) for evidence

My Personal Plea

If at any time I have upset anyone on the Fourm I apologise without reservation (please PM me if you I've upset you and I'll apologise personally). I'll try to be more careful in future but please, please, please PM me if you see me getting passionate, going OTT and doing it again. I'll either aplogise or ask Franck to remove the offending post.

Lounge Lizard
27th-November-2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Andy McGregor
A personal plea...I have poked fun at people like The Tramp, Lounge Lizare and ChrisA, but that's been friendly banter which I know they can stand and hope others find entertaining.
He spelt my name wrong the ****ing tosser:wink:

Andy McGregor
27th-November-2003, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Lounge Lizard
He spelt my name wrong the ****ing tosser:wink:

Had trouble controlling the middle finger of my left hand while thinking about the reptile:wink:

p.s. I've fixed it now.

Jon L
28th-November-2003, 08:30 AM
I think Tramp is quite right in one respect, in that where individual character assasinations go - we ought to think twice. I am sure maybe one or two of you have thought about me things like 'twit' on the odd occasion.

I think commenting on unsafe or inconsiderate types of behaviour out there is reasonable so long as you keep it general.

The one thing that seems to cause most controversy from what I have seen is the attitude of "cliques" on the dance floor, and it goes back to a theory I have that if all "recognised" dancers in venues i.e. those who are perceived to be good take 5-10 minutes an evening and dance with a few beginners/newcomers here and there, the whole atmosphere in any venue improves.

The only thread I wished I had not posted, was a thread called "Completing a dance lesson", when one or two of you said in no uncertain terms "No Jon boy you ain't got it quite right on this occasion" ;)

horsey_dude
28th-November-2003, 09:37 AM
Well. Things have been getting a little fraught recently on the forum, with a number of people, and mentioning no names at all....

Having been around the internet for longer than most (about 12 years now), it's something I've seen a lot of times in the past.

People, when they are typing, tend to be a little more forward than when they are face-to-face. This happens a lot in emails, forums, messenger programs etc.

This forum has always been a friendly place to get together to discuss all things dance, and anything else as well - even previously when there's been a difference of views on a particular topic. I'd really hate for it to degenerate into something other than this.

When everyone is posting, please try to remember that you are talking to, or about, another person, and act accordingly. Even if the people you are talking about don't appear to be on the forum, it's quite likely (given the popularity of it) that the person you've just talked about will find out exactly what you've said from someone else.

Everyone has their own opinions about other people (some of you may even have one or two about me!). The forum is not always the best place to air them....

Steve

NO STEVE! You are completely wrong you fool! (just kidding)...

I think that the people on this forum are very well behaved even for a moderated message board. Someone once posted the opinion that it was because, unlike many internet interactions, there is a good chance you could end up dancing with, or standing next to, the person you abuse on here which would be very uncomfortable to say the least.....

HD

Chris
28th-November-2003, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by horsey_dude
I think that the people on this forum are very well behaved even for a moderated message board. Someone once posted the opinion that it was because, unlike many internet interactions, there is a good chance you could end up dancing with, or standing next to, the person you abuse on here which would be very uncomfortable to say the least.....I agree it's very well behaved. But it's still quite difficult for many (I include myself as very much a beginner in using this sort of forum, which I find a wee bit daunting, and also the many many people who are members but have either never posted or only post occasionally.)

A new thread might be helpful - not only on tips on how to avoid arguments but how to get to grips in a positive way - people's first post, their feelings about it, how to keep a thread going (I find this one hard!) and how to handle people you 'know'. I find this hard in some cases - most of my close dance buddies don't post. Of the dancers from Scotland that do, a few would rarely open a conversation with me socially except to criticise, however many positive vibes or openers I give them. That's fine, we're all different, but interacting on a forum needs different skills to interacting at dance nights. I would like to hear from some of the experienced posters on their tips for forum posting, not just avoiding negatives but actively developing positives.
:wink: :grin:

Franck
28th-November-2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Chris
A new thread might be helpful - not only on tips on how to avoid arguments but how to get to grips in a positive way - people's first post, their feelings about it, how to keep a thread going (I find this one hard!) and how to handle people you 'know'.Yes, good idea... entering a new web community is always tricky. The best advice, rarely heeded, is to get a feel for the vibe of a place before posting. Read a lot (especially some of the older threads), and then post an inocuous introductory post, letting people know who you are.
The worst thing to do, is to jump in, find a thread where someone disagrees with you and bite their head off :D

Having said that, most people's first posts tend to get it 'wrong' to some degree, and it's an interesting exercize to go back in time and look at some of the prolific posters' posting history :wink:

I'd like to pick up on your 'Keep a thread going' remark, Chris. You shouldn't feel under pressure to keep any thread going, once a thread is started, it develops a life of its own, though some threads are kept alive via life support machines, despite all brain activity having ceased :wink:

Each Forum member only has so much time to dedicate to posting, and can handle so many threads at once.
The number of members who don't post is also quite typical, as most people enjoy watching the daily soap opera passively. The non-posting members would normally be guests, but for the need to register to access most areas of the Forum, and who knows, one day they might just hit the reply / quote button!

On the plea that the Tramp started, I would only re-iterate that while this Forum is un-censored, personal attacks of any kind (substantiated or otherwise) do not belong here, and will be removed.
Unfortunately, I am not always able to catch all posts on time (especially when I'm busy enjoying a great week-end of dance at the Beach Ballroom and my Birthday :cheers: ).
Please feel free to use the 'Report post' button if you think a post is out of order, or too personal. This will send an email to myself and the 2 moderators (Emma and Sheena) who can then act upon it.

Franck.

Mary
28th-November-2003, 11:14 AM
Have to say that when I posted my first post I was really nervous, and spent ages writing it. Can't even remember what it was now. I am getting better at it now.

When I met Chicklet she said 'oh, yes, you're the serious one' or something similar. Which I am/was because I am always afraid that what I say doesn't come out quite right or is taken the wrong way. I think I can be a bit more flippant now as more people know me. Beside, if Pammy can get away with all the stuff she writes ....... but, then, she is a complete nutter!!! (love you really Pammy - glad you're back :kiss: )

Anyway, must dash back into The Hollow Tree!:D

M

ChrisA
28th-November-2003, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Franck
though some threads are kept alive via life support machines, despite all brain activity having ceased :wink:

[Cough]

Did you have any particular ones in mind?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Gadget
28th-November-2003, 11:20 AM
{Not that I'm an expert, but since Chris asked and I do stick my nose in now and again :innocent:}
I always think of the forum like having a pub conversation; everyone can over-hear and contribute to what you are saying and you can walk around the tables listening to everyone else's discussions.
As with normal 'conversation', monalogues tend to tune people out; posts should either be fairly short, or formatted in such a way that each idea/comment is seperated for people to respond to.
Statements of fact should be only used for things that are unequivicably true; everything else is an opinion that may (or may not :devil: ) be shared with other forumites.
Opinions are only opinions if there is a premis behind them; just saying "no, you're wrong" is a bit impolite without a backing argument.
People should have a choice of listening to social gossip between two (or more) individuals; if a post is titled "last wednesday at bongor" then feel free - create a new post if necissary, but discussing it under posts like "the complexities of hand holds" will kill that thread.
Having people post on 'your' thread and keeping threads 'live' is not really important; but if you want to, topics need to catch the attention and arguments need to be clearly defined {or intentinally ambiguous :devil:}.
Bad language, "Politically in-correct" and highly contriversial postings should be avoided {with the exception of talking about f**tball :wink:}; remember the first point, and the proprioter has the power to barr you from this pub.
The line between sarcasm/humor and nastyness can be fine for some people; if your comment could be construde in a different way, consider re-wording it or pointing out the humor for those less fortunate.
You don't have to agree with everything posted; If you want to add your weight behind an argument, let the author/everyone know you appreciated the post, or dissagree with the post, then fine, but pages of people nodding sagely get a bit boring.
You don't have to be articulate or verbose to contribute; if people miss-understand or don't 'get it', then they will ask and you can follow up with more detailed explination.
When quoting long posts, you only need to quote the relevent section, or even just the Originally posted by... if your point is regarding the whole thing. (I use ~snip~ to indicate I have removed a large section of a quote)

please note that theses are the guidelines I try :rolleyes: to follow and seem to be fairly standard netiquete.

{PS I also use curley brackets in insert 'thoughts' into posts.}

Dreadful Scathe
28th-November-2003, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Gadget
Statements of fact should be only used for things that are unequivicably true; everything else is an opinion that may (or may not :devil: ) be shared with other forumites.aha but thats one of the big issues isnt it - opinions are stated by a person and sometimes taken as fact by someone else reading it. We can sum up forum flaws with 2 words* - "non-verbal communication" - there isnt any (barring smilies which are also liable to misinterpretation) in text to inform people in what tone they are supposed to take your comments. But i would generally say the onus is on the reader to not assume too much - therein lies the way of madness :).

* or maybe 2 and a half words

Graham
28th-November-2003, 01:10 PM
{PS I also use curley brackets in insert 'thoughts' into posts.} I've always wondered why you did that. Interesting that the bulk of your postings aren't thoughts. :wink:

Andy McGregor
28th-November-2003, 01:15 PM
therein

I would like it to go on record that DS has used a difficult, slightly dated and sometimes legalistic word.

I am not qualified to comment as I don't understand what he's talking about:confused:

Gadget
28th-November-2003, 01:40 PM
aha but thats one of the big issues isnt it - opinions are stated by a person and sometimes taken as fact by someone else reading it.
True. To a point. A statement like this:
"A basket always has the man stepping back on his left foot."
is written as fact.
"A basket involves the man stepping back to mirror the lady"
is written with ambigity and could be taken as fact, but
"A basket can be stepped back on either foot; but it's normally taught as the left."
gives yourself an escape clause :wink:

originally posted by Graham
I've always wondered why you did that. Interesting that the bulk of your postings aren't thoughts. :wink:
brain dead. Sorry. :tears:
{I would have put some witty response in here, but I can't think on one :sorry:}

{Oh, yea: the other reason I use squiggly brackets is that they can't be accidentally emoticoned :innocent:}

Chicklet
28th-November-2003, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Mary
When I met Chicklet she said 'oh, yes, you're the serious one' or something similar. Which I am/was because I am always afraid that what I say doesn't come out quite right or is taken the wrong way.
M

Just to be serious :wink: for a mo, I meant that much more as a compliment than it probably came over!!!!
As one who has written a lot of complete sh*** on here I give due respect to all those who take the time and effort to type up worthy posts and points of view....been quiet of late but am still enjoying reading as much as possible.

...and I'm sure I always thought you were probably capable of having your arm twisted for "just one more beer" and another half hour of lighthearted banter Mary!!!!:D

Mary
28th-November-2003, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Chicklet

...and I'm sure I always thought you were probably capable of having your arm twisted for "just one more beer" and another half hour of lighthearted banter Mary!!!!:D

Bu**er! I've been rumbled.:tears:

I took your comment as an observation BTW and it was completely true.

Can't wait to see everyone in Feb - you are going aren't you?:hug: (sorry, off thread).

M

Bardsey
28th-November-2003, 04:24 PM
And at least they are still a going concern!! :D Unlike some. Well, one. :na:

Steve

Grrrrrrrrr !!!!

Jill
(one time, and still fond memories of, Leeds Utd in their heyday!)

:grin: (Does that make it better? :rofl: )

TheTramp
28th-November-2003, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Bardsey
(one time, and still fond memories of, Leeds Utd in their heyday!)But Jill....

There's no way you look that old. I'm guessing that you must have watched old videos or something :rolleyes:

Steve

Bardsey
28th-November-2003, 05:09 PM
But Jill....

There's no way you look that old. I'm guessing that you must have watched old videos or something :rolleyes:

Steve

Well they did allow children in quite safely then you know. My friend's dad used to take us sometimes to Elland Road (as little girls, we had a crush on Norman "bites yer legs" Hunter :rofl: )

DavidB
28th-November-2003, 05:16 PM
There's no way you look that old. I'm guessing that you must have watched old videos or something Jill

Don't worry about The Tramp. He can still remember Wales winning rugby matches...:devil:

Bardsey
28th-November-2003, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by DavidB
Jill

Don't worry about The Tramp. He can still remember Wales winning rugby matches...:devil:

Oh he's that old then? :devil: :rofl:

TheTramp
28th-November-2003, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Bardsey
Oh he's that old then? :devil: :rofl: No. Unfortunately not :tears:

Steve

Boomer
28th-November-2003, 06:09 PM
No. Unfortunately not :tears:

Steve

You have no idea how much it pains me to do this....but didn’t a fluky Welsh team (with the aid of a bought ref) cost England the 6 Nations a few years ago :tears:

TheTramp
28th-November-2003, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by Boomer
You have no idea how much it pains me to do this....but didn’t a fluky Welsh team (with the aid of a bought ref) cost England the 6 Nations a few years ago :tears: Actually, I just thought that win was due to a really lousy decision by Laurence Dallaglio (who was then the English Captain before the drugs thing). :D

Steve

Boomer
28th-November-2003, 06:25 PM
Actually, I just thought that win was due to a really lousy decision by Laurence Dallaglio (who was then the English Captain before the drugs thing). :D

Steve
You could be right...all I can remember is one of the Welsh lads getting such a dirty look from someone that he had a hissing fit, fell to the ground in a fit of pique...and got a bloody penalty kick thingy :tears:

Andy McGregor
28th-November-2003, 07:19 PM
Marcus Aurelius Antonius was Emperor of Rome for 19 years from 161AD. He came to be idealised by the Romans as the perfect Emperor. He was a student of Stoic philosopy and wrote 'Meditations'. Here is an excerpt which, for me, puts this thread into perspective for us victims of upsetting postings. And, in my opinion we are more a victim when we are tempted to be nasty than when people are nasty about us.

"Begin each day by telling yourself: today I shall be meeting with interference, insolence, disloyalty, ill-will and selfishness - all of them due to the offenders' ingnorance of what is good or evil. But for my part I have long perceived the nature of good and its nobility, the nature of evil and its meanness, and also the nature of the culprit himself, who is my brother (not in a physical sense, but as a fellow-creature similarly endowed with reason and a share of the divine); therefore none of those things can injure me, for nobody can implicate me in what is degrading."

Graham
28th-November-2003, 11:04 PM
No. Unfortunately not :tears:

Steve :confused: Wales' glory years were in the late seventies: well into your school years, so surprised you can't remember it.

Forte
29th-November-2003, 09:22 AM
I would like it to go on record that DS has used a difficult, slightly dated and sometimes legalistic word.

I am not qualified to comment as I don't understand what he's talking about:confused:

thence...hitherto...are pals of therein...

does that help...:wink:

Forte
29th-November-2003, 09:25 AM
{Not that I'm an expert, but since Chris asked and I do stick my nose in now and again :innocent:}
[list] I always think of the forum like having a pub conversation; everyone can over-hear and contribute to what you are saying and you can walk around the tables listening to everyone else's discussions.

What!:really: You listen to other people's conversations in pubs!:eek:

Andy McGregor
29th-November-2003, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Forte
thence...hitherto...are pals of therein...

does that help...:wink:

I shall introduce them into my vocabulary henceforth:wink:

TheTramp
29th-November-2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Graham
:confused: Wales' glory years were in the late seventies: well into your school years, so surprised you can't remember it. I was under 10 years old then. I really didn't spend a great deal of time watching rugby :tears:

Steve

ChrisA
29th-November-2003, 11:07 AM
I shall introduce them into my vocabulary henceforth:wink:
I've already used "hitherto" and indeed "aforementioned"...

so watch it, this is myyyyyyyyy territory..... :devil: :devil:

Chris
30th-November-2003, 07:03 PM
Many thanks to Franck and Gadget for sage advice, and to one or two others who dared to speak about their first posts. Would it be possible I wonder to collect some of these in the technical forum or something to encourage newbies? (or even folk like me who just appreciate the thought of people who are more experienced at participating in online communities than I am). They could maybe even also be adapted to be included in a standard welcome message when people join the forum perhaps?
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Chris
ps with the addition of a spell-checker for Gadget's post! :wink: :wink:

Forte
1st-December-2003, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by Chris
Many thanks to Franck and Gadget for sage advice, and to one or two others who dared to speak about their first posts. Would it be possible I wonder to collect some of these in the technical forum or something to encourage newbies? (or even folk like me who just appreciate the thought of people who are more experienced at participating in online communities than I am). They could maybe even also be adapted to be included in a standard welcome message when people join the forum perhaps?
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Chris
ps with the addition of a spell-checker for Gadget's post! :wink: :wink:

Relax! Mao Tse Tung, he say : "It is not always a question of first learning and then doing...sometimes it is a question of first doing and then learning..."

No one has to sit an exam on posting...take a chill pill and have fun...:hug:

Boomer
1st-December-2003, 01:13 AM
Relax! Mao Tse Tung, he say : "It is not always a question of first learning and then doing...sometimes it is a question of first doing and then learning..."

Chin-chin :cheers:

Chris
1st-December-2003, 01:19 AM

Yep. Still I think it's helpful to get some ideas on the table.

Bardsey
1st-December-2003, 01:30 PM
Relax!

Right on the nail ! :cheers: