PDA

View Full Version : Private Lesson

horsey_dude
24th-November-2003, 09:34 AM
Am I the only one annoyed by people who join the class and only dance with each other? This seems to happen a lot at Fulham and when it is crowded and you are trying to rotate on to the next person it causes a lot of confusion when they just stare at you as if to say "sorry, no one else here is good enough for me to do the class with". I would like to see them segregated off especially when there is very limited space.

HD.

ChrisA
24th-November-2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by horsey_dude
when they just stare at you as if to say "sorry, no one else here is good enough for me to do the class with". I would like to see them segregated off especially when there is very limited space.
I think this is a bit unfair.

There are lots of reasons a couple might want to do the lesson just the two of them, and it isn't necessarily cos they think they're too good.

It can sometimes cause a little confusion at the end of the rows when people rotate, but it always works itself out.

I think it's better, especially for beginners, to rotate, but cut folk a little slack, huh?

Chris

Graham
24th-November-2003, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by ChrisA
There are lots of reasons a couple might want to do the lesson just the two of them, and it isn't necessarily cos they think they're too good.

It can sometimes cause a little confusion at the end of the rows when people rotate, but it always works itself out.
Phil didn't actually say they shouldn't be allowed to do it - what he asked for was for them to be well out of the way of the rotation so they don't cause confusion. I remember one class where the men were rotating (which was possibly the main source of confusion!) and I was waiting at the side - each time we rotated on there was a different source of confusion and I ended up without a partner and back at the side. The fourth time in a row it happened I was getting pretty annoyed! :angry: So I agree that people should be allowed to stick with a partner, and also to drop out of the class - but please don't confuse the rotation.

ChrisA
24th-November-2003, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Graham
Phil didn't actually say they shouldn't be allowed to do it - what he asked for was for them to be well out of the way of the rotation so they don't cause confusion.
Sure, and I agree... and the non-rotaters should help by indicating to the rotaters where to go if there's any confusion.

The only thing I thought was potentially a little unfair was the suggestion that people would not rotate because they thought they were too good... I reckon you need to be more able, not less, if you rotate, especially in a complicated class with a wide variety of abilities.

Chris

stewart38
24th-November-2003, 01:40 PM
I think the problem is when these non rotators stay in the lines and don't go off to a deep dark corner.

:confused:

ChrisA
24th-November-2003, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by stewart38
I think the problem is when these non rotators stay in the lines and don't go off to a deep dark corner.

One way it can work is if the NRs move well out of the way (to the back or the side) while people are moving round, and then come back after the moving round has finished.

It's definitely for the NRs to make it as easy as possible for the Rs, IMHO, but of course, given that most blokes can't even walk and count at the same time, they won't realise there's a problem unless it's spelled out :D :D

Chris

stewart38
24th-November-2003, 02:22 PM
I feel sorry for the women walkers. Having a non rotator in the line is like asking them to count a pointless exercise which only leads to confusion. b:grin:

NR should be seperate not 'pull in and out', I'm not against them

I'm against women dancing as men (unless there is a large excess of women,ownly as I have been told a lot of women don't like it, but thats going of the thread something we never do in forum

re speeding :devil:

ChrisA
24th-November-2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by stewart38
I feel sorry for the women walkers. Having a non rotator in the line is like asking them to count a pointless exercise which only leads to confusion. b:grin:

NR should be seperate not 'pull in and out', I'm not against them

I'm absolutely not saying the NRs should be in the line.

If the hall is so empty that there can be a large space between the ends of the lines and the NRs, then all well and good. But this is frequently not the case.

All that is necessary for everything to be fine is for the NRs at the ends of the lines, not in them to pull well away from the lines at the point where the teacher says to move on.

Then it is perfectly clear where the ends of the lines are, and no confusion results. Once the moving round finishes, the NRs can come back again.

It really isn't that difficult to make it work with a bit of give and take. Sometimes it goes wrong, and it can be a bit frustrating when it does. But it's really not that big a deal.

Chris

Jive Brummie
24th-November-2003, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by horsey_dude
Am I the only one annoyed by people who join the class and only dance with each other? This seems to happen a lot at Fulham and when it is crowded and you are trying to rotate on to the next person it causes a lot of confusion when they just stare at you as if to say "sorry, no one else here is good enough for me to do the class with". I would like to see them segregated off especially when there is very limited space.

HD.

Sorry Mr. H.Dude but I have to disagree and so does FC. Recently at the Amir Giles workshop in Edinburgh we danced with each other the entire time and don't regret it one iota.

If we go to a party, then we dance socially with loads of folk. If we go to a particular lesson or workshop that we want to do, to aid our dancing then we'll stay together. We make absolutely no apologies for this. And like other's, we pay our money and so to that end, we're entitled to do what we want. I know for a fact that other people wanted to do this as well but felt that they shouldn't as it seem's 'it's not the done thing'. And in hindsight they regretted their decision... Maybe staying together should be addressed more at workshops so people can feel more comfortable and possibly even get more out of them. Value for money and all that..........

Having said all that, we do try and segregate ourselves to avoid 'NR' confusion.

james..:cheers:

Graham
25th-November-2003, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by Jive Brummie
Recently at the Amir Giles workshop in Edinburgh we danced with each other the entire time and don't regret it one iota.

Having said all that, we do try and segregate ourselves to avoid 'NR' confusion. I was also at that workshop, and just to be clear, what you and Mel were doing is absolutely not what is being complained about. You positioned yourselves to one side, well away from any of the rotating rows, and nobody got in the least confused. If only everyone did likewise!

Chris
25th-November-2003, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Jive Brummie
If we go to a particular lesson or workshop that we want to do, to aid our dancing then we'll stay together.
Quite right too I think, though as Graham said, there was no problem in the workshop you referred to.

I think it's the teacher's responsibility ultimately, though admittedly hard sometimes. My thoughts tend towards that if you tell people they can choose not to rotate you lose half your class; if you don't, most people who want to practice NR will do so anyway. Then the teacher has to make sure (if possible) that those people do it without inconveniencing others.

When I saw Simon de Lisle demo ("and this is what we're going to do") a class at Cambers, everyone's jaw just dropped - most people had never seen a class like it. I waited till the rotation gave me the chance to quickly contact a lady who used a similar approach to learning moves as myself and asked her if she wanted to NR. It's the only way we would have learnt the moves. I still use most of them (and I think so does she if she gets the chance - she lives hundreds of miles away btw).

I think you've got the right handle on the exception to the rule.:cheers:

Mikey
25th-November-2003, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Chris
Quite right too I think, though as Graham said, there was no problem in the workshop you referred to.

I think you've got the right handle on the exception to the rule.:cheers:

i think anyone has the right to stick with partners if they wish and yes any teacher should try to creat some sort of seperation if only to avoid confusion in moving the class around...
The onlyy time i think it's a bad idea is when a pair of beginners decide to stick together, we get the sad case of the blind leading the blind then.. i can understand them doing it at times, but they will never learn if they only dance with each other...

i have always said to my classes that in the class they learn ideas and get to see the breakdown of moves etc, but to truly learn they should freestyle as much as possible with a variety of people.. thats where the experience will help them become better dancers in the end...

horsey_dude
27th-November-2003, 09:08 AM
Funnily enough I had forgotten that I even posted this... It was just a brief annoyance at the inconvenience of trying to rotate during a crowded class... I didn't expect more than one or two replies.

bigdjiver
27th-November-2003, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Mikey
The onlyy time i think it's a bad idea is when a pair of beginners decide to stick together, we get the sad case of the blind leading the blind then.. i can understand them doing it at times, but they will never learn if they only dance with each other...I can understand a couple wanting to be together more than wanting to learn to dance, and, as for the blind leading the blind, they do seem to do a lot of communication in Braille.

Mikey
27th-November-2003, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by bigdjiver
I can understand a couple wanting to be together more than wanting to learn to dance, and, as for the blind leading the blind, they do seem to do a lot of communication in Braille.

:what: now theres a whole new concept for a sunfull class.. Blind-jiving.. feel the way.. :rofl:

TheTramp
27th-November-2003, 03:06 PM
:what: now theres a whole new concept for a sunfull class.. Blind-jiving.. feel the way.. :rofl: You mean that you've never danced with a girl in a blindfold then Mikey?? :D

Steve

Forte
27th-November-2003, 03:07 PM
i've done other things in a blindfold...:blush:

Mikey
27th-November-2003, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
You mean that you've never danced with a girl in a blindfold then Mikey?? :D

Steve

:sick: err.. no I havn't.. i would be frightened of you cutting in Steve and doing a seducer on me:what:

Lory
27th-November-2003, 04:38 PM
You mean that you've never danced with a girl in a blindfold then Mikey?? :D

Steve Your going to laugh at this but its true, last night at Ashtons I was Dancing with someone I dance with a lot and he said, you know my moves so well that I bet you could do it with your eyes shut, so, I tried for about 10seconds but couldn't keep it up as we were giggling too much.
:rofl:

Forte
27th-November-2003, 04:43 PM
To be honest I get a little offended if a man closes his eyes when he dances with me. (He may have his reasons...:rofl: ) But I feel that a vital connection is lost if you dodn't make eye contact a few times during a dance.

Lory
27th-November-2003, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Forte
To be honest I get a little offended if a man closes his eyes when he dances with me. (He may have his reasons...:rofl: ) But I feel that a vital connection is lost if you dodn't make eye contact a few times during a dance. I totally agree, somethings defintily lost if theres no eye contact. I was only having a giggle with someone I know pretty well!

:nice:

Dave Hancock
27th-November-2003, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Forte
To be honest I get a little offended if a man closes his eyes when he dances with me. (He may have his reasons...:rofl: ) But I feel that a vital connection is lost if you dodn't make eye contact a few times during a dance.

I sometimes quite enjoy a dance with my eyes shut and have done the blindfold thing myself, which apart from the slight worry of bumping into someone was a thoroughly enjoyable experience and have also danced with females who have been blindfolded. Indeed last night both and I my partner danced the last song with our eyes shut for part of it and there was no complaints from either of us, was probably my favourite dance of the night and there was a fair amount of connection:wink:

Mr Lampert, can you tell me what the song was as can't remember dancing to it before and enjoyed immensely

TheTramp
27th-November-2003, 05:10 PM
Probably the reason that you haven't danced to it before, was that it's only just come out.

It's off the new Sugababes album (I kid you not). It's called 'Too lost in you', and I think it's an excellent track to end a night on (thanks Sheena - both for the recommendation and the dance) :D

Steve

Lory
27th-November-2003, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Dave Hancock
I sometimes quite enjoy a dance with my eyes shut and have done the blindfold thing myself, which apart from the slight worry of bumping into someone was a thoroughly enjoyable experience and have also danced with females who have been blindfolded. :wink:

I'm Intregued!! Can I ask where you were when you and your partner wore the blindfolds?

(apart from the slight worry of bumping into someone)
I presume from that, you must have been at some kind of venue? (the mind boggles) :what: and at what point did u decide, 'nows a good time to put them on'? :rofl:

TheTramp
27th-November-2003, 05:51 PM
I was at the Chiswick venue, just before the champs in May (at the dance the night before).

And she walked up to me, asked me to dance, and held out a blindfold.

Steve

Dave Hancock
27th-November-2003, 05:53 PM
Danced at both a regular class night and a party with a blindfold, if you've got a blindfold than any really bluesy song would do it for me. Just anything you can totally lose yourself in.

Mikey
27th-November-2003, 06:02 PM
I was at the Chiswick venue, just before the champs in May (at the dance the night before).

And she walked up to me, asked me to dance, and held out a blindfold.

Steve

so she insisted on wearing a blindfold to dance with you:sad: mmmmm... i wonder... :wink:

TheTramp
27th-November-2003, 06:04 PM
Yeah. Normally I have to pay people to dance with me. This might be a cheaper option :D

Steve

Mikey
27th-November-2003, 06:06 PM
Yeah. Normally I have to pay people to dance with me. This might be a cheaper option :D

Steve

your breaking my heart:tears: anyway.. come on.. looks and body are not everything tiger... your a nice guy with a great personality....:waycool: :hug:

Chris
27th-November-2003, 06:08 PM
your breaking my heart:tears: anyway.. come on.. looks and body are not everything tiger... your a nice guy with a great personality....:waycool: :hug:

Did he give you the blindfold before you said that?
:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Lory
27th-November-2003, 06:10 PM
:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: No, that was when the whip came in to use! :rofl:

Chris
27th-November-2003, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Lory
No, that was when the whip came in to use! :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl: photos please!
:wink: :wink: :wink:

Mikey
27th-November-2003, 06:19 PM
:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

who could resist this man eh ? come on ladies.. no more blindfolds..

Chris
27th-November-2003, 06:23 PM
who could resist this man eh ?

He looks stronger than me but I will try to resist . . .