PDA

View Full Version : Retro clothes shops

Gav
2nd-March-2009, 10:47 AM
Next step on the Lindy Hop journey for us is to look the part, but it seems to be easier said than done.

Any pointers to on-line shops would be appreciated, but even better would be if anyone can point us to retro clothes shops in the London area please?

We've tried Radio Days near Waterloo and it is a great little shop, but didn't have much suitable when we went there.

I'm also thinking that if anyone has any suggestions for what's best to wear, this could be a good place for it too.

:cheers:

Astro
2nd-March-2009, 11:06 AM
You could go to Brick Lane market on Sundays, it's huge. There's a large indoor market there too.

There's a Vintage shop with retro on Hanbury Street at the Commercial Street end.

It's not as expensive as other vintage shops and it's open Sundays if you go to Brick Lane.

Twirly
2nd-March-2009, 11:27 AM
Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but it might be useful - Vivien of Holloway (http://www.vivienofholloway.com/). New but retro.

And although I've never been in either, there are two huge retro clothing stores in London - one is on Great Marlborough Street (behind the Oxford Street M&S that's up the Tottenham Court Road End of Oxford Streeet, roughly), and there's another one in the Spitalfields area, although I can't remember exactly where now. They do all sorts of vintage clothes, so not just the era you're looking for but they might be useful.

Double Trouble
2nd-March-2009, 11:34 AM
Vivien of Holloway (http://www.vivienofholloway.com/). New but retro.

Thanks Twirly - This site is perfect. The dresses are so beautiful and really cheap compared to say, Debenhams dresses which are similar. :flower:

clevedonboy
2nd-March-2009, 12:02 PM
Some useful links on this site (not just for the clothing / shoes)

http://www.getintheswing.com/links.htm

Gav
2nd-March-2009, 12:27 PM
You could go to Brick Lane market on Sundays, it's huge. There's a large indoor market there too.

There's a Vintage shop with retro on Hanbury Street at the Commercial Street end.

Thanks, it's Absolute Vintage (http://www.absolutevintage.co.uk)according to Google.

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but it might be useful - Vivien of Holloway (http://www.vivienofholloway.com/). New but retro.

Ta.

one is on Great Marlborough Street (behind the Oxford Street M&S that's up the Tottenham Court Road End of Oxford Streeet, roughly)

Thanks to Twirly & Google again, that'll be Beyond Retro (http://www.beyondretro.com).

and there's another one in the Spitalfields area

and I think that's Astro's Absolute Vintage.

clevedonboy
2nd-March-2009, 12:44 PM
Other things
1 - shoes. Two tones are the classic choice but are generally not the most practical - look at good Lindy dancers feet and you'll see a real mish mash of shoes. I'm firmly in the retro trainers with added suede soles camp. I still wear my two tones from time to time but comfort wins most nights!

2 Twinwood August Bank Holiday weekend. Great festival & there are always loads of stalls on site flogging loads of gear

Double Trouble
2nd-March-2009, 12:49 PM
Two tones are the classic choice but are generally not the most practical - look at good Lindy dancers feet and you'll see a real mish mash of shoes.

Yeah I noticed most of the girls were wearing flat shoes. I like wearing flat shoes to Lindy in but I'm only 5'2" and feel much more confident in high heels - much more flattering. Is it possible to lindy in high heels without having the two tone brigade looking down their noses at you for doing it all wrong I wonder?

clevedonboy
2nd-March-2009, 01:33 PM
Yeah I noticed most of the girls were wearing flat shoes. I like wearing flat shoes to Lindy in but I'm only 5'2" and feel much more confident in high heels - much more flattering. Is it possible to lindy in high heels without having the two tone brigade looking down their noses at you for doing it all wrong I wonder?

"The Two Tone Brigade" just aren't worth worrying about - anyone who cares about another persons appearance on "style" grounds is not somebody I'd have any time for. For ladies anything over a low heel is going to be an issue when it comes to Lindy - there is a large chance of turning an ankle in ballroom shoes. Oxfords and Wedges are a good compromise - have a look at Aris Allens's range http://shop1.actinicexpress.co.uk/shops/apothecary2/index.php?cat=Dancing_Stuff&ActinicSID=d14df3fca7c056bc178ece5d93ac7719

BTW Julia (my wife / dance partner) is shorter than you and wears flat shoes almost all of the time

Double Trouble
2nd-March-2009, 01:39 PM
http://shop1.actinicexpress.co.uk/shops/apothecary2/index.php?cat=Dancing_Stuff&ActinicSID=d14df3fca7c056bc178ece5d93ac7719

Gav, have a look at the mens trousers on page two of the link above..

inky66
2nd-March-2009, 01:49 PM
Beyond retro is fantatsic value. Also Vivien of Holloway is just a brilliant shop to go to, I bought a stunning dress there. It's above a motorbike garage down an alley so very easy to miss (I walked past it twice before I found it). It really is lovely though, def worth a trip.

I x

HelenB
2nd-March-2009, 01:58 PM
I used this US store to order my Aris Allen sneakers (though the exchange rate was good at the time). They have swing clothes as well.

http://www.dancestore.com/

More options available on the shoes now since when I ordered - I love some of the sneaker designs :D

Gav
2nd-March-2009, 02:03 PM
My thoughts so far:

Radio Days - Lovely shop, helpful bloke, OK prices but not enough selection (especially menswear).
Blackout 2 - tiny shop, all original gear, prices so high I wouldn't want to wear the clothes for fear of damaging them!

I'll be nipping out during lunch breaks to have a look at all the other selections over the next couple of weeks. :clap:

Mel_and_tonic
2nd-March-2009, 03:05 PM
The flagship Beyond Retro store is on Cheshire St, off Brick Lane - it's way better than the Soho one because it's a HUUUUUUUUUUGE warehouse! It's most definitely my favourite vintage shop in London, and is reasonably priced too! Plus, if you go on a Saturday arvo, they have bands playing live in the shop! Woop!

Also, I tend to find my best vintage dresses etc in America (Beyond Retro get most of their clothes from the USA) so maybe check out Ebay...

Trousers
2nd-March-2009, 03:29 PM
It's a while away but the Hop Farm does a War and Peace show every year.
There are always clothes available there. Link here (http://www.warandpeaceshow.co.uk/Show-Information/2009-Show/Entertainment.html)

I'm certian Minnie goes you should ask her.

Its a War themed do but there is evening dancing - Banana Men are going but much better is the John Miller Orchestra (that's 40's alright)

and the day time it's good to watch the german storm troopers digging latrines.

It's a cracking day out.

clevedonboy
2nd-March-2009, 03:55 PM
Banana Men are going

But they go EVERYWHERE.....

& John Miller is dead good

Astro
4th-March-2009, 12:12 PM
Thanks, it's Absolute Vintage (http://www.absolutevintage.co.uk)according to Google.

and I think that's Astro's Absolute Vintage.

Yes, that's the one. You can get a dress in there for £30.

The flagship Beyond Retro store is on Cheshire St, off Brick Lane - it's way better than the Soho one because it's a HUUUUUUUUUUGE warehouse! It's most definitely my favourite vintage shop in London, and is reasonably priced too! Plus, if you go on a Saturday arvo, they have bands playing live in the shop! Woop!

Is it open Sundays?

I didn't know about this one Mel, though must have walked past many times. I live a mile away. Head in the clouds as usual.

From Cheshire Street and Sclater Street, the market stretches down Brick Lane to Hanbury Street, then accross to Petticoat Lane (Wentworth Street, on the map). A massive area.

Also on Sundays, to the north of Cheshire Street, is Columbia Road Flower market. if you go around 2pm, they sell flowers and bedding plants at knock down prices.

NB You don't tend to get many women's vintage trousers. Apparently the women in the past were a different shape, and their trousers don't fit women of today.

Anyone know more about that, as it sounds odd to me.

Astro
4th-March-2009, 01:07 PM
About a month ago, on a Sunday on Brick lane, listened to a busker who looked and played like Jimi Hendrix - he was playing the guitar with his teeth.

Mel_and_tonic
4th-March-2009, 01:34 PM
Is it open Sundays?

I didn't know about this one Mel, though must have walked past many times. I live a mile away. Head in the clouds as usual.

Yes it is open on Sunday's - that's when I tend to go there :nice:

Hmmm, I'm not sure about the trouser thing? I have vintage shorts and trousers, and they fit me fine. The only difference I can think of is that they tend to all be fitted on the waist and are often tiny!

Saying that, there are quite a few high-waisted trousers and pedal-pushers on the high street now which can be teamed with cute vintage blouses and other accessories to get the same 1940s/50s look.:flower:

Minnie M
4th-March-2009, 05:00 PM
I am surprised you haven't asked Caron (your teacher), she sells them.

Minnie M
4th-March-2009, 05:22 PM
Next step on the Lindy Hop journey for us is to look the part, but it seems to be easier said than done.....

Is it Lindy or 40's you are after ??? Lindy is 20's & 30's style and 40's is wartime stuff etc.

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but it might be useful - Vivien of Holloway (http://www.vivienofholloway.com/). New but retro.....

I would call this 50's Rock 'n Roll styling - definitely not lindy

Some useful links on this site (not just for the clothing / shoes)

http://www.getintheswing.com/links.htm

These people are pure lindy - if that is what you want.

Most lindy dancers wear boring flat shoes - whereas the 40's crowd wear the sexy shoes, strappy and wedges althought they are usually only about 2" high

You will have to go to Rhythm Riot (http://www.rhythmriot.co.uk/) - they have masses of clothes stalls for men and women.

Double Trouble
4th-March-2009, 05:33 PM
Is it Lindy or 40's you are after ??? Lindy is 20's & 30's style and 40's is wartime stuff etc....I would call this 50's Rock 'n Roll styling - definitely not lindy

I actually like different aspects of 40's and 50's styles. I like 40's hair, makeup and shoes and like 50's dresses, styles, etc. Can't I just mix it up the way I want or will I just end up looking like a Numpty with all the wrong gear and no idea?:blush:

Minnie M
4th-March-2009, 05:51 PM
I actually like different aspects of 40's and 50's styles. I like 40's hair, makeup and shoes and like 50's dresses, styles, etc. Can't I just mix it up the way I want or will I just end up looking like a Numpty with all the wrong gear and no idea?:blush:

Hmmmmmm.......... the 40's (wartime) and the 50's (Rock 'n Roll) crowds are different, they cross over on music but not a great deal on dress (especially the men) early 50's RnR syles are OK no pettycoats though or pop socks

Check out the piccies on the Rhythm Riot (http://www.rhythmriot.co.uk/)site, will give you an idea of what they wear.

Unfortunately the original 40's dress were made for flat chested skinny gals. I tend to wear baggy sailor type trousers and tops. Some of the 40's tops are very flattering for ladies with boobies.

However, if you get on the 40's scene - burlesque is in :wink:

Gav
4th-March-2009, 06:01 PM
I am surprised you haven't asked Caron (your teacher), she sells them.

I'm guessing she stopped selling because I did ask and she pointed me to Radio Days. :confused:

Is it Lindy or 40's you are after ??? Lindy is 20's & 30's style and 40's is wartime stuff etc.

Well, I was after Lindy (don't think I mentioned 40's?) err, oh I'm all confused now. :tears:

I would call this 50's Rock 'n Roll styling - definitely not lindy

Well, our next weekender has some Rock 'n' Roll too, so maybe we should go for both. :clap:

Thanks for all the help and advice. I'll get my head around it eventually. :sick:

Minnie M
4th-March-2009, 06:05 PM
How's this as a 40's retro styled couple ?

Gav
4th-March-2009, 06:10 PM
So Lindy is 20s/30s
Rock 'n' Roll is 50s

40s is something in between?

Minnie M
4th-March-2009, 06:16 PM
So Lindy is 20s/30s
Rock 'n' Roll is 50s

40s is something in between?

AFAIK yes - I am on both scenes (Lindy & 40's) but the past couple of years with the coming of Hollywood/Dean Collins Lindy, they seem to be mixing

....... but I think I have overstepped my mark here - too enthusiastic, so I will step back - good luck :hug:

(BTW you would look fab is a double breasted 40's suit, rather than a Zoot suit - and DT would look fab in a sweetheart neck based top / dress)

Gav
4th-March-2009, 06:21 PM
AFAIK yes - I am on both scenes (Lindy & 40's) but the past couple of years with the coming of Hollywood/Dean Collins Lindy, they seem to be mixing

Thanks. :flower:

but I think I have overstepped my mark here - too enthusiastic, so I will step back - good luck :hug:

I don't know why you'd think that, please keep discussing (privately, if you'd rather). If it wasn't for help like yours, DT & I would probably turn up wearing all the wrong gear and looking very silly. :blush:

(BTW you would look fab is a double breasted 40's suit, rather than a Zoot suit - and DT would look fab in a sweetheart neck based top / dress)

We'll make sure that we get plenty of pictures of whatever we end up in. :cheers:

Minnie M
4th-March-2009, 07:05 PM
...........We'll make sure that we get plenty of pictures of whatever we end up in. :cheers:

Look foward to seeing them :D

Mel_and_tonic
5th-March-2009, 10:59 AM
You will have to go to Rhythm Riot (http://www.rhythmriot.co.uk/) - they have masses of clothes stalls for men and women.

I definitely want to try and go to Rhythm Riot this year!! A bunch of my friends go, and they say it's super-dooper fun! :clap:

Trousers
5th-March-2009, 01:16 PM

Personally I think the retro styled couple on the left are fab
but why's there a bloke in the picture?

Trousers
5th-March-2009, 01:24 PM
Clothes aside Gav and DT.
If you have started Swing/Lindy you should get into London and try the 100Club on a Monday night.
The bands are mostly great - they do have some stinkers occaisionally tho.
Atmosphere is brilliant tho.

Gav
5th-March-2009, 01:27 PM
Clothes aside Gav and DT.
If you have started Swing/Lindy you should get into London and try the 100Club on a Monday night.
The bands are mostly great - they do have some stinkers occaisionally tho.
Atmosphere is brilliant tho.

I've heard many good things about it from many sources, but it's trying to find a babysitter and the fact that it's on a school night that's the problem. :sad:

Jivejunkie
5th-March-2009, 02:49 PM
Before you spend all your money, Baggy Pegged Pants with turn-ups and braces are a good start, and nearly always black and white two-tone shoes (Bleyers are the current flavour of the month according to Genevieve) and a white shirt with a brightly coloured tie, and of course don't forget the trilby!
As for the ladies... . I'm told that it's Bell dresses (as opposed to full-circle skirts), seamed stockings and stillettos (Banned from dance halls in the 40's and 50's, because the1/4 " heels damaged the floor) Don't forget the flower in your hair. however some of the lady lindyhoppers where we go look great in baggy jeans (Obviously with the customary turn-ups) baggy blouses and a hairband.
Just as a rough guide - It was the Charleston in the 20's, Lindyhop (nearly always afro-carribean), shag and the Shim Sham into the 30's and early 40's, when the American GI's changed Lindy into the Jitterbug, which then became JIVE (the REAL sort! :whistle:) in the middle to late 50's, then I think partner- dancing stopped for a bit :D (apart from of course ballroom, which started before any of em!) :waycool:

Yliander
5th-March-2009, 02:59 PM
NB You don't tend to get many women's vintage trousers. Apparently the women in the past were a different shape, and their trousers don't fit women of today.

Anyone know more about that, as it sounds odd to me.

Hmmm, I'm not sure about the trouser thing? I have vintage shorts and trousers, and they fit me fine. The only difference I can think of is that they tend to all be fitted on the waist and are often tiny!

It is actually sort of true - what it is that at these times women would wear as standard issue girdles and the like which would cinche their waists in - hence creating a different figure/shape to what is considered standard today.

Astro
5th-March-2009, 03:22 PM

Gav, you may need to wear some fake glasses.

It is actually sort of true - what it is that at these times women would wear as standard issue girdles and the like which would cinche their waists in - hence creating a different figure/shape to what is considered standard today.

Yeah, British women ditched there girdles around when?

My mother and her contemporaries were wearing them in the 70's in Yorkshire.

But in London they were burning their bras in the 60's, and must have got rid of their girdles too.

Is it possible to dance in a girdle?

Trousers
5th-March-2009, 03:41 PM
. . . . trilby!. . . . ?

I went out with a brilliant dancer for a few years and one of the best days out we had was a viit to Crich tram museum for a 40's day.
Suse just raided her wardrobe with was more like the TARDIS with its date select stuck in the 40's.
I rented a double breasted navy pinstripe suit and Homburg.

It's a better looking hat all round - I'll see if I can find the photo's

For shoes I just had Brogues - If you wore spats you were a wide boy in my book.

I just wore an ordinary shirt though could not be arsed to source a button on collar shirt.

Brilliant day - as is the case with all 40's events most people instantly go for military uniforms. But Civi is much cooler.

Astro
5th-March-2009, 03:45 PM
Brilliant day - as is the case with all 40's events most people instantly go for military uniforms. But Civi is much cooler.

Well, that Gav sorted then. :nice:

Trousers
5th-March-2009, 03:51 PM
Well, that Gav sorted then. :nice:

That's known as a postmans holiday

Minnie M
5th-March-2009, 04:20 PM
Check out the photos on Shona's (http://www.flickr.com/photos/fleurdeguerre/) site she makes lindy/retro clothes and has a stall at most events and has possibly made most of the costumes displayed

Astro
6th-March-2009, 01:27 PM
Some info is taken from "The meaning of Sunglasses" - Hadley Freeman

Vintage became fashionable 10 years ago when Kate Moss and other models started wearing it.

At the same time the high street got good. For the first time the masses were able to buy decent clothes.

Fashion world, wanting money, made out the High Street is manufactured tat, whereas if you want to keep it real, you have to pay £700 for an Ossie Clark dress from Rellik.

Vintage shops do rip customers off. They have an intriging aversion to putting price tags on clothes.

Top Shop have a vintage section - Peekaboo at Topshop (vintage)

Another problem if you muist have suffient lesuire time to trawl though the racks.

Same at Oxfam, but here you can find vintage and designer at cheap prices, and you know your money is going to starving people in the 3rd world, and not into the hands of the vintage fashion seller snob.

I'm still going to have a look at the Beyond Retro warehouse on Cheshire Street though.

At Absolutely Vintage I got an outfit that was ex-stage for £30. It had quadruple seams, which I found out when I tried to unpick it.

Gav
6th-April-2009, 09:08 PM
Look foward to seeing them :D

Friday Night
http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=60&pictureid=429

Saturday Night
http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=60&pictureid=430 (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=60&pictureid=430)

If you're not on the list, you're not coming in
http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=60&pictureid=431

Minnie M
7th-April-2009, 03:28 PM
.......... fab photos .........

Thanks for sharing, you both look great :worthy:

Gav
28th-September-2009, 12:33 PM
I've just seen that BeyondRetro are opening a new shop in Brighton, Lynda. :clap:
I guess the new one will be more convenient for you if you're like me and you I could spend hours nosing around the ones in London. :blush:

Minnie M
28th-September-2009, 05:32 PM
I've just seen that BeyondRetro are opening a new shop in Brighton, Lynda. :clap:
I guess the new one will be more convenient for you if you're like me and you I could spend hours nosing around the ones in London. :blush:

wow thanks Gav - will check it out :hug:

Astro
29th-September-2009, 03:54 PM

I found the Beyond Retro in Cheshire Street.

No wonder i had not noticed it before - it's pratically in Bethnal Green.

It is a large building all on it's own, past all the shops.

Didn't buy anything - nothing took my fancy, believe it or not.

I did notice a shop today on Kings Cross Road selling rubber outfits. Certainly not for dancing in, with the exception of CJ. :wink: