PDA

View Full Version : Championships in Musselburgh

JYork18
5th-August-2002, 04:16 PM
Hi Guys,

OK - really quick one for you...

Would love to compete at the champs in Musselburgh on October 20, but can't seem to find any info about entering. If there are any spaces left, could someone please tell me how to register! I don't live in Scotland but LOVE the dancing up there. Would be great to be a part of the first Scottish Champs!!

Thanks,

James

John S
6th-August-2002, 01:43 AM
I think the entry forms are due to be available at the Scottish venues this week (but as I'm south of the border for the next few days I can't actually confirm that.)

Not sure how mush publicity there'll be in England, but I see from your "Location" that you're moving from York to Newcastle, so at least you're heading in the right direction - one final push now!!!:nice:

Scot
6th-August-2002, 05:16 PM
For update info on this event goto

www.ceroc.info (http://www.ceroc.info)

Franck
7th-August-2002, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by John S
I think the entry forms are due to be available at the Scottish venues this weekThey are indeed.
In the meantime, you can download the PDF of the brochure (and application form) here (http://www.cerocscotland.com/ScotComp.pdf) (you will need the free Adobe Acrobat Reader available from the Adobe website)Adobe website (http://www.adobe.co.uk/products/acrobat/readstep.html)

Cheers,

Franck.

John S
13th-August-2002, 10:13 AM
Maybe I'm alone in this and ticket sales will rocket, but I think there's a danger of the event being pitched (a) too expensively, and (b) with too much emphasis on the "competition".

If about 1000 people come to Ceroc every week in Scotland, then a very high hit-rate is needed to fill a 500-place venue, even with entries from down south.

I plan on going and I really do want the event to be a success, for the sake of Ceroc in Scotland and for all those who are working so hard to put it together. So, before you say "tight-fisted whingeing Scottish so-and-so" let me explain my thinking, and if I'm wrong then I apologise in advance.

A. Prices

The admission and entry prices seem to be about the same as for the UK Ceroc Championships. For several reasons (location, time of year, volunteer staffing, charity event, lower prizes, possibly the scale of the event) I didn't expect this.

Probably we're spoiled by how cheap the regular weekly Ceroc parties and various charity events are, but perhaps £19 for the evening party only is too high. And if a couple want to go in for (say) the Intermediate event and the Lucky Dip, then they have to find £70 between them.

I know several people have said to me that they won't be paying those prices (plus travel, meals and possibly accommodation).

No doubt somebody has done the sums of what it costs to pay for the event, the music, the judges etc, and of course the proceeds are going to a worthy cause, but it all relies on people being prepared to put their hands in their pockets and come up with the cash - they will only do this if they think they're getting value, and so far I think the jury's still out - they need to be convinced (see below)!

B. Presentation

The Competition leaflet does cover the fun and party elements of the day, but only if you read the detail. Most of the leaflet (correctly) has to be taken up with the details of the various competitions and the practical information.

Most dancers in Scotland haven't been to the UK Championships so they won't realise how much time there is to dance freestyle, or how much enjoyment can be had from just watching the competitors. So somebody hearing about the event as a "Competition" or "Championships" automatically thinks of something serious, and assumes it's not for them.

Also, the vast majority of us have absolutely no chance of winning anything, so again when the event has been announced at a class, the common reaction I have heard is "No way would I have any chance in something like that" - and that has been from "Intermediate" dancers who could have a reasonable goal of a Personal Best (eg reaching the 3rd Round or whatever).

So there's an onus on the instructors at the classes to pitch the event at a level that will attract sufficient numbers to make the event a success, by emphasising the party/fun/celebration/social aspects of the day as well as the competition.

Even then, we all know that not everyone listens to the announcements during the lesson, so maybe a poster at the desk/door of every venue would also help to advertise the event and remind people of it whenever they turn up.

---------

So I'm sorry if any of this sounds carping - it really is intended to be constructive and I hope it's taken in that spirit.
:cheers:

Scot
13th-August-2002, 11:10 AM
Hi John

In answer to you post

You are correct the pricing is in line with the UK event unlike other events of this nature all proceeds from this event will go to charity and all staff/judges/DJs are volunteers. I am sorry that you feel it is a bit over priced but just because it is in Scotland does not mean that it will be any less of an event. By comparison if you went to an evening show, workshop or a premier league football game with a mainstream team it would cost you about the same. You may argue that it is better value for money but given some of the football I have seen recently I am not so sureÉ..but then I guess that is just the team I support.

Anyway I sincerely hope that people realising what we are trying to achieve here will indeed back the event. I guess time will tell.

Wrt to the £ 19 for the party only It is priced this way because if we sell a party only ticket then it is one less full day ticket that we can issue. Unfortunately the venue is restricted to the numbers it will allow through the door.

As regards point B I agree completely and we will do so. The day is designed to be a fun event rather than a serious competition and there will be much more freestyle than at the national event.

As regards winning the judging is set on a number of Criteria which will be published shortly. However I would encourage people to compete as they have as good a chance of winning as the next person.

Hope this helps

Kind Regards

Scot

Franck
13th-August-2002, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by John S
Maybe I'm alone in this and ticket sales will rocket, but I think there's a danger of the event being pitched (a) too expensively, and (b) with too much emphasis on the "competition". Wow, John, that was some post. You have put a lot of thought into it, and I agree to a degree with you.
Scot has already answered a lot of your points, so I'll just add my tuppence.

As far as the price is concerned, I think it is about right, in fact, I was pushing for a higher price for some competition categories.
I think that £22.00 for a days entertainment is very reasonable, especially as the event's proceeds will go to Charity. As for the pricing of the party alone, it is mostly to encourage people to come for the whole day, making it even more special for all of us.
If you also take into account that this time all of us in Scotland will not have to pay to travel to London (+ accomodation), then you have yourself a bargain. :nice:

With regards to the promotion of the event, I agree with you. The leaflet is not enough, and because it is also an entry form, it contains more info about the competing side of things than about the fun / dancing aspect.
This will be the responsibility of venue managers, teachers, taxi-dancers and every Cerocer to spread the word.
I believe this forum will help a lot in making people aware that the Ceroc Comp will just be a huge dance party, with the added bonus to see some of the best dancers competing against each other.
We will have leaflets and posters nearer the time, aimed at attracting freestylers (ie non-competitors), at the moment, people who wish to compete are the priority, as they will need to register and prepare.

I hope this answers some of your very constructive points, keep them coming, don't be shy :wink:
We need the feedback so we can clarify and hopefully improve what is the first such event in Scotland.

Franck.