PDA

View Full Version : Plea to Franchisees on behalf of DJs

Gus
23rd-November-2003, 05:00 PM
This probably applies less in Scotland than elsewhere but nevertherless....

Guys/Gals,

can we please recognise that for a club to be successful, and for MJ to prosper, the role of well trained and well supported DJs is essential. Can we move away form sticking any old munter on stage with a limited play list. Can we play a variety of music, some of which is new and challenging? Without new music the dancers wont advance and the whole game simply falls apart!

I've been asked a numebr of times why I dont dance much anymore. Simnple reson ... the music in the North is CR*P! Ask any dancer of a reasoinable standard and they will tell you just how bored they are .... but no-one listens:tears: :tears:

I know of a number of good dancers in our region who live for the weekenders and trips to Hipsters to feel real music again. Its not that hard to get right ... so why do so many clubs get itr so wrong:confused:

[Rant over]

Chris
23rd-November-2003, 05:11 PM
:rofl:
This reminds me of a trip I made to the Mull of Kintyre. For those of you who know it, it's a pretty isolated place, much talked about but takes a long time to get to. Standing on the cliff edge it struck me looking out to sea that somewhere was America - and maybe if I peeeeeeed hard enough it would reach there (inspirational thought with a full bladder).

Needless to say, the p**ing in the wind was just that - I counted myself lucky that the wind didn't change.

Sorry Gus - couldn't resist it!

Chicky
23rd-November-2003, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Gus

Can we play a variety of music, some of which is new and challenging? Without new music the dancers wont advance and the whole game simply falls apart!

As an organiser of 2 venues, we have the fabulous Roger Chin as our DJ. One of the reasons we wanted Roger was for his ability to mix up the music and, of course, his wealth of experience in the world of dance.

A lot of our customers don't want us to mix it up and just like dancing to faster tunes, not ones with breaks in, no 'slower' tunes (or Bluesy type ones).

To be fair Roger is a brilliant DJ who always looks at the customers and what they like, but occasionally will play something a little different. Unfortunately, they don't like this and as a business we have to keep the customers happy so they'll come back.

We do teach them moves that can be danced to slower songs, but they seem to want the faster (130bpm) tunes.

Nicky

Tazmanian Devil
23rd-November-2003, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Gus

Guys/Gals,

can we please recognise that for a club to be successful, and for MJ to prosper, the role of well trained and well supported DJs is essential. Can we move away form sticking any old munter on stage with a limited play list. Can we play a variety of music, some of which is new and challenging? Without new music the dancers wont advance and the whole game simply falls apart!

I've been asked a numebr of times why I dont dance much anymore. Simnple reson ... the music in the North is CR*P! Ask any dancer of a reasoinable standard and they will tell you just how bored they are .... but no-one listens:tears: :tears:

I know of a number of good dancers in our region who live for the weekenders and trips to Hipsters to feel real music again. Its not that hard to get right ... so why do so many clubs get itr so wrong:confused:

[Rant over]

I have to agree it takes a certain ability to be a Ceroc/Jive dj the franchise I taxi for have excellent dj's at both their venues. The wonderful Dan Hudson and lovely Emma, Both experiment with new tracks and listen to the requests of the dancers, Making the nights very enjoyable. :kiss: :hug: I also went to Dartford for the first time on thursday last week and their dj (I don't know his name) was equally good. Decent dance dj's ARE hard to find but with Dan (Charlton) Emma (Greenwich) Darren (Welling) Kam (Beckenham) Unknown (Dartford) Oooh and the lounge lizard (who I heard djing at Camber) there is still hope :wink: :kiss: :hug:

Emma
23rd-November-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Tazmanian Devil
I have to agree it takes a certain ability to be a Ceroc/Jive dj the franchise I taxi for have excellent dj's at both their venues. The wonderful Dan Hudson and lovely Emma We don't pay her, you know :blush::nice:

Tazmanian Devil
23rd-November-2003, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Emma
We don't pay her, you know :blush::nice:

You don't need to hunny I say it as I see it!!! :kiss: :hug:

Mary
23rd-November-2003, 09:34 PM
I agree the standard of DJ is crucial to a venue. And, as such, I have to commend Helen, who is the franchise owner and DJ at Uxbridge. She plays a pretty wide mix of music, and she is always on the lookout for new and interesting stuff. She takes her DJ-ing very seriously, so is always watching the floor and making notes.:cheers: :cheers:

M

Tazmanian Devil
23rd-November-2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Mary
I agree the standard of DJ is crucial to a venue. And, as such, I have to commend Helen, who is the franchise owner and DJ at Uxbridge. She plays a pretty wide mix of music, and she is always on the lookout for new and interesting stuff. She takes her DJ-ing very seriously, so is always watching the floor and making notes.:cheers: :cheers:

M

Will she be djing for your christmas ball on the 11th December? I am seriously considering coming up there!!:kiss: :hug:

Mary
24th-November-2003, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Tazmanian Devil
Will she be djing for your christmas ball on the 11th December? I am seriously considering coming up there!!:kiss: :hug:

Absolutely, as far as I know. Look forward to seeing you there.:wink:

M

Tazmanian Devil
25th-November-2003, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by Mary
Absolutely, as far as I know. Look forward to seeing you there.:wink:

M

Great do you know of any b&b's up that way as I will probly return home the next day! Please send me a pm :cheers:

RogerR
3rd-December-2003, 01:44 AM
The music has to develop with the group and the times. The best time to introduce a new track is in the class. then people realise that this new music is danceable. If you play an unfamiliar tune in freestyle people will leave the floor, and that track is branded BAD permanently. If the teacher demonstrates to a new track it is considered "properly introduced"

This is my first post here, but my twentysomethingth year as a pro dj

Tazmanian Devil
3rd-December-2003, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by RogerR
The music has to develop with the group and the times. The best time to introduce a new track is in the class. then people realise that this new music is danceable. If you play an unfamiliar tune in freestyle people will leave the floor, and that track is branded BAD permanently. If the teacher demonstrates to a new track it is considered "properly introduced"

Oooh I have to disagree with you there :blush: Belive me there is some BAD dj's out there that play total Crap, remixes of popular tracks which are no where near as good but people still get up and dance! :rolleyes: Why I dont know but they do!! I personally enjoy dancing to new tracks, myself and Emma are always trying out new tracks to see if they work, if they do she plays them and I must say Emmas music is always a hit :kiss: :hug:

ChrisA
3rd-December-2003, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by RogerR
The music has to develop with the group and the times.
Absolutely.

The best time to introduce a new track is in the class. then people realise that this new music is danceable. If you play an unfamiliar tune in freestyle people will leave the floor, and that track is branded BAD permanently. If the teacher demonstrates to a new track it is considered "properly introduced"
Er... where???

Chris

RogerR
3rd-December-2003, 07:36 PM
I once jocked for a new group to whom Brown Eyed Girl - Van Morisson, Was a New and Unknown jive track!!! they all sat down til it was over cos they didnt know one could jive to it,

In this situation, to introduce in the class say five fresh tracks each week broadens the beginner's perception of jiveable music.

There never is any justification to force unsuitable music of any age or description onto anyone.

some people can PERFORM to really unexpected tracks ( Roger Chin used Ice Ice Baby once to seperb effect ) mere mortals need a narrower range of styles. Seasoned dancers will often try a new tune but beginners usually not those beginners go when the difficult music comes on.