PDA

View Full Version : Beach Ballroom Party

Kay
23rd-November-2003, 11:19 AM
Decided to be brave and start a new thread. First of all happy birthday tomorrow Franck:kiss: :cheers: and well done again, the party last night was a brilliant success. The Jive Aces were great, DJ played good music and the Beach Ballroom is such a superb venue - roll on February!!!

Daphne
23rd-November-2003, 01:03 PM
What a great band! Fantastic night, thanks Frank! My feet are aching (is that how it's spelt?)

Kay- did you know there are now 3 Scooby Doos on the forum?

xSalsa_Angelx
23rd-November-2003, 05:15 PM
I had a great time last might also, i thought the band were great too, of course i had to flirt with them and tell them they looked like canaries in their yellow suits..lol

It was also great to finally meet my favorite taxi dancer :) thanks for the dances, they were good, or better than good should i say?

cant wait for the Perth Xmas party now, Ive never been out of Aberdeen for a party so this is the time i think now.

Roll on the next ballroom event too...!!!

P.s I was a piggy and ate the whole box of after eights on my table ... of course i can get away with it Tee Hee......

XsaX

Dreadful Scathe
23rd-November-2003, 08:07 PM
great party. well done Franck :)

Heres a look at the floor - recognise anybody ? :)

Dreadful Scathe
23rd-November-2003, 08:10 PM
heres an example of what you all missed - musicians and packets of After Eight mints on every table. :)

Dance Demon
23rd-November-2003, 08:42 PM
That looks like DD & Pammy trying to dance to an EXTREMELY fast version of "In the Mood"...sorry Pammy:blush: :blush: ...hope the second dance made up for it:D
Also the back of Mrs demons head, the top of Mrs Scathes head...
and a kinda perplexed looking DavidB..........This photo looks lik a cue for a funny caption competition:devil:

PS Great night Franck...dont think I sat down all night.& my legs were aching at the end...well done:cheers:

TheTramp
23rd-November-2003, 08:44 PM
What a great night. Had an absolute blast!!

Very tired now though (had to stop 2 times to 'rest my eyes' just on the way down to Dundee).

Roll on the next BB, and all the other fabby events leading up to it. December just promises to be a great month of dancing in Scotland!!

Steve

Dave Hancock
23rd-November-2003, 08:48 PM
Would have to agree with all that's been said, well done Franck, I had a great time and very glad I came out for it. I thought the band were very good and it was lovely to have live music and the way they played two sets helped break up the night.

I also thought Ceroc Jock performed fairly well on the discs and the Dundee/Aberdeen girls certainly managed to put a smile on your face:wink:

Dave Hancock
23rd-November-2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Scooby Doo

Kay- did you know there are now 3 Scooby Doos on the forum?
One was slighlty more original than the others though :na: :na:

linda
23rd-November-2003, 09:02 PM
Yes! it was brilliant night. well done Franck:grin: :grin:
The hall looked great, the band were fantastic, especially as I believe they adjusted their sets to accomodate us dancers then really let rip with the numbers at the end.

To everyone who danced with me thank you for the fab dances. To those of you I didn't get a chance to dance with, sorry, next time for sure!!!

Boomer!!! what a star you are:wink: :wink: It was great to meet you, dance with you and talk to you, although I have to confess you did have rather an apprehensive look on your face when I told you I was Linda...... Now that youv'e met me you know I'm the quiet one!!!!
Loved my dances with you but when I came back to get you again, you had disappeared!!!! No worries though will get you the next time!!!

Lily, looking as beautiful as ever,you have an evergrowing fan club and group of admirers up here:grin: The guys you danced with said they loved dancing with you but even better they thought you were great:grin: !!!

David you were the talk of the dance with that magic soft touch of yours... the ladies loved it:grin:

Roll on February!!

Linda
:hug:

PS Did anyone get any decent photos of our little routine for Franck? I stupidly put a full card into my camera and Gregor couldn't take any pics for me!:sad:

Dreadful Scathe
23rd-November-2003, 09:03 PM
by popular demand here are 2 pics of Francks 'surprise' - several, as The Sun would say leather clad lovelies :D

pics were dark but i tried to lighten them up a bit

Dreadful Scathe
23rd-November-2003, 09:05 PM

Boomer
24th-November-2003, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe

Yeah, DD, Pammy and the lord of the undead...in a hawian shirt, lurching towards his next victim :grin:

Had a wonderful time, am absolutely gutted that I had to come back to London so soon:tears: Am too tired to blather on now, so will have to bore the pants off everyone later :nice: To all the ladies....and blokes as well I guess, that I put faces to, a bigger collection of misbegotten, depraved, corrupt, degenerate reprobates I could never hope to meet :hug: ....this side of Hippies of course :grin: ...and this doesn’t even begin to cover DS and the chief hoodlum Franck :grin:

PS, Linda isthe quiet one, and that is food for thought, thanks for the drugs hun, they really put me in the mood :wink:

PPS, DavidB thanks for the chat that you have probabaly forgotten about, did wonders for my sense of perspective :nice:

Bill
24th-November-2003, 11:36 AM
Anyone get a photo of Franck's 'surprise' ????

It was hard heading off to bed before midnight on Saturday knowing folk were dancing their socks off in the BB. :sick: Aah well............still managed to have a good weekend.

Sounds like a superb evening and missed meeting Boomer, Pammy et al. Maybe next time :wink: And missed the chance with more dances with Lily............:tears:

Hope everyone gets back up for Feb..... :cheers: :D

Boomer
24th-November-2003, 12:07 PM
Here's a few piccies, qualitity is a bitt naff, but they'll just have to do :grin:

PS, never tried multiple pic posts, so if it doesn't work just have a go at me :grin:

Boomer
24th-November-2003, 12:17 PM
Try try again :blush:

Dreadful Scathe
24th-November-2003, 12:18 PM
nice pics boomer :) but why has no one else posted how great Beach Ballroom was ? are we the only ones who enjoyed it ? surely not :)

p.s. should i get a haircut ? comments please!

TheTramp
24th-November-2003, 12:21 PM
No-one except Scooby Doo, Linda, Dave Hancock, Dance Demon, Kay and Salsa Angel and me that is....

(Although, there were a lot more people there than just those 7, I'll agree).

Steve

Boomer
24th-November-2003, 12:32 PM
nice pics boomer :) but why has no one else posted how great Beach Ballroom was ? are we the only ones who enjoyed it ? surely not :)

p.s. should i get a haircut ? comments please!

They're probably still in Aberdeen trying to find the workshops :grin: ....or recovering from 'Garlick Prawnies', purchased from the market :sick:

The only regret I have (have I already siad I only have one?) is that I now know the difference between a good floor and a not so good floor. I thought the floor was excellent...once I got used to the bounce and fast surface, I even managed a naff spin!
[Lovey mode on]
Ladies, thank you all for taking a clumsy, dopey ape in hand and making him feel at home and welcome :hug: :kiss: Still a bit sad coz its all over :tears:

PS No need to rub it in that you have lush flowing looks and I'm on the verge of iminent chrome-domeness :tears:

Nice to meet the Tramp at last...he's not bad for a beginner, just needs a bit more practice on the arm-jive :grin:

See you all soon :hug:

Graham
24th-November-2003, 12:49 PM
I had a fantastic weekend too. Wendy asked me what my favourite dance of the night was and I honestly couldn't pick one, as there were so many really nice ones to choose from! It's a brilliant venue, and it was great that the evening went on long enough for me to nearly get round all my favourite dancers! :yum: :yum: :grin:

michael
24th-November-2003, 01:13 PM
What a fab weekend best yet for me superb all round.

Highlights too numerous, but walking through the town with Mary and Jean on each side holding hands! was a laugh the looks and whistles we got was hilarious, the food was good too.

Meeting the famous two: Boomer and Pammy

Having my first dance with Lisa prior to the spinning workshop!

Going to the two workshops i had booked. Dips and drops BIG THUMBS UP as we concentrated on just a few moves but getting more details on what you SHOULD be doing. well done Lorna for great insight and comments.

Spinning workshops: just fabulous and again concentrating on what i thought really mattered. Most remarkable was the number of "key foundation" pointers, i just hope i remember them and APPLY. Lisa was superb in her pointers and even included the "cheating ones" ??

The party after the party: Big thanks to all of you for making it a great laugh and most topical conversations:devil: :yum: :wink:

Hearing afterwards that another ceroc party crowd had been told to er.......go to sleep and less noise at 3.30am despite their appeals that all the noise was coming from that lot in room 300:innocent: we did eventually go to bed some time after 7.30am

Managing to get through the weekend with 2.5 hours sleep.

Magic Moment:Well two magic moments really. My first (and i hope not my last) dance with the fabulous Lily superb. The second was the kind comments afterwards, Lily you are just toooooooooo kind:hug:

Special praise: Just my wee observations but i thought David B was really friendly and so down to earth with everyone that you stop being in awe and just chat.

Apologies: none really except maybe to my monkey whom i left with friends while i danced the night away and had to be rescued by DS who told the stewardess who its owner was:wink:

Best offer: As usual my monkey gets all the best offers especially at the end of the party when a certain red haired girl wanted to spank him. Its certainly true that dogs have sensitive ears as one came over and commented on someone wanting to spank my monkey but being "An original" he probably had better ears than the other two dogs?:D

Ceroc is special and so are ALL the people associated with it so well done Franck for making it happen in the first place:cheers:

DavidB
24th-November-2003, 02:12 PM
We had a great time. A superb venue - it must be the only dance floor where you can get sea-sick whilst sitting down! Thanks for all the great dances, and for the chance to meet some more of the forum members.

Our only problem in the whole weekend came when deciding whether or not to have any garlic parwns. Fortunately for everyone, we thought better of it.

And now for the photos

David

DavidB
24th-November-2003, 02:15 PM
try again

DavidB
24th-November-2003, 02:16 PM
No 3

DavidB
24th-November-2003, 02:16 PM
No 4

DavidB
24th-November-2003, 02:17 PM
No 5

DavidB
24th-November-2003, 02:18 PM
No 6

DavidB
24th-November-2003, 02:18 PM
No 7

DavidB
24th-November-2003, 02:19 PM
And finally

xSalsa_Angelx
24th-November-2003, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by michael
Best offer: As usual my monkey gets all the best offers especially at the end of the party when a certain red haired girl wanted to spank him. Hiya Michael was nice to meet you and your monkey... LOL
hope he recovered?? Tee Hee

XsaX

Cerocfan
24th-November-2003, 02:56 PM
I suspect there are not many comments on the fabulous BB night coz most people were at the workshops, (how did they find the energy?), or, like me, exhausted & on their way home yesterday.

It was a wonderful setting - great floor, decor, patient cloakroom staff as I kept going back to get another change of clothes, no bar queues, fabulous music. Very impressed the band tailored their music to us - the second set was danceable without needing oxygen after every dance. CJ delivered a broad mix & read the crowd well as usual.

Highlight for me? DS gently shoving me in the direction of DavidB & saying 'Go on, dance with him!' after I'd said I was too intimidated to ask. David was such a gentleman, & led so gently but clearly that I only missed a few leads. We even had a second dance near the end at a 'meeting of glances - do you want to dance?' sort of thing, which made my night!

I was at the noisy party after & had approx 1 hr's sleep - head spinning with images, then had get back to Edin, finish work for an ehxibition by 5pm yesterday, then off to see the Manfreds at the Usher Hall. They were superb as usual - very rocky last night, which is just as well as I thought I'd fall asleep! - then tried to find an open curry house coz Paul J was hungry. All closed so he just had to slope off to his hotel with growling stomach & I didn't finally crash out till 12.30

I took today off & am only now feeling my brain emerging from the mince it had become!
What a great Aberdeen night! Thanks to all

Can I add I was at Route 66 on Fri - so sad it's the last time it will be at Westfield - & had a fabulous night there too - most of the best local dancers were there, & the contrast between DD's & Dave's music was great! I'll be back

Just totted up I've danced 10 hrs in 3 nights - didn't think I could do that - & I feel all the better for it - will prob go to Marco's tonight!

PS DS Haircut?

Sandy
24th-November-2003, 03:01 PM

Oh my god, what am I doing??? The feet say it all:sick:

Had a great night, some fab dances and superb company.

The dips and drops workshop was really good and the moves were exciting........especially the last one!!

:cheers:
Sandy x

michael
24th-November-2003, 03:42 PM
Quote from Sandy:The dips and drops workshop was really good and the moves were exciting........especially the last one!!

Agree totally Sandy i think they must have selected those few known we would approve and the last one............wow

Now look here Franck.............. do you really think we will restrict that last move to an empty dance floor or what??????

Safety was a big issue at that workshop and rightly so. Having practiced over this last few weeks to get the balance right and safety of my partner secure i had been more comfortable doing drops. My own awareness has improved (i know it could be better) but still find the sudden appearence of a couple behind you scary. One thing i didnt take into accountand mentioned at the workshop was that others are frightened, concerned or just annoyed that you have placed someone in an awkward position close to them. That aspect really kinda hit me hard as "never thought about that" Most of us believe it is safe when we do a drop otherwise we would not do it so that aspect left me somewhat concerned:sad: Others might not think and they may have a higher regard to what is the safety margin for them which again makes me concerned and feeling sad.

Looking at many other far more experienced dancers doing drops there is obviously some measure of what is safe without going overboard (sorry Franck)

:D Not the type to remain sad for long. Scotlands Premiere Dance venue your words Franck i think) soon to be opening up in Glasgow See dance party nights.

LARGE MASSIVE DANCE FLOOR WITH PLENTY OF SPACE TO DO THE ODD DROP OR TWO WITHOUT RISK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gee Franck you do know how to spoil us........and.....er when did you say you would do the Blues......theme night:drool:

Even managed to persuade my ex to change the night i watch my wee boy (told her there was a good Ballroom class on a wedesday somewhere and she should try it:rofl: Cant wait till it opens and apologies for going off topic and tooooo long a post (again) but hey i am still buzzzing after the weekend so there:D

linda
24th-November-2003, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Bill
Anyone get a photo of Franck's 'surprise' ????Looked at the photos by Boomer and DavidB???

That was Franck's birthday surprise The Leather clad lovelies
( AKA Dundee MAd crew and Aberdeen All stars!!:wink: :wink: )

Yes, you did miss a fantastic night:grin: :grin: But don't worry there's another one in Feb so clear that diary of yours!!!!

Linda
:kiss:

Sandy
24th-November-2003, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Sandy
The dips and drops workshop was really good and the moves were exciting........especially the last one!!something I forgot to add! the point Lorna made about elegance was so true and so important. It did look much nicer and was much safer. No need to throw your body all over the place, legs akimbo!:sick: I've always been a bit scared of dips and drops but knowledge is the key and now I know a few more moves and what to expect! (well some of the time at least:eek: )

Sandy:wink:

Eva
24th-November-2003, 04:11 PM
Naughty Naughty Michael.................who says a gentleman doesn't tell!!!!

This was my first Aberdeen party night but won't be my last . Fantastic venue, band , music, dancers..........the list goes on. A huge thank you to Francke for all of the hard work putting together such a terrific night and thanks to all the fabby dancers who made the dancing such a divine experience.

Special thanks to Steve WOW what a dancer first time ever doing twelve spins in a row although it was a bit disconcerting having to be carried off the dance floor due to an inability to walk.

Thanks also to the Dundee "MAD " crew for being so entertaining.

Look forward to more fabulous dancing in December .

Franck
24th-November-2003, 04:57 PM
heres an example of what you all missed - musicians and packets of After Eight mints on every table. :) :rofl:

Well, yes... what a week-end... I'm still recovering, from lack of sleep, Red Bull abuse, dancing pretty much non-stop from 9.30am on the Saturday until 4.30pm on the Sunday and the Cabaret :wink: ...

Once again, the Beach Ballroom did us proud (if a little sea-sick sorry DavidB), and the Winter frost / wonderland decorations looked amazing.
So many wonderful people turned up and made the night magic! I think Scotland's reputation as the friendliest dancing place will now be firmly established.

The Jive Aces were incredible, and I can't thank them enough for taking on board my request to select their 'slower' songs out of their wide repertoire. Dancing to live music is unbeatable when you have such talent on the stage!
Their Finale performance was so funny and entertaining, and the last dance had us all challenged and a true test of musical interpretation!

All the workshops went brilliantly, and I must thank Lorna and Lisa for the phenomenal amount of work they put in, prior to the week-end in preparation, and all day... Aberdeen can be very proud to have two of the best teachers in the world! :nice: :cheers:

Only one or two regrets over the week-end... First that Pammy and Boomer missed the workshops... Sorry guys, I wish I'd checked you had all the info :sad:
You are both invited to attend any future workshop in Scotland as VIP guests...
The second regret is not having enough time to dance with everyone... Sorry Salsa Angel... and everyone else... I really wanted to dance with you all... and will over the next few weeks :D

Finally, Lily, thanks for seeking me out, I hadn't realised it was that late... Next time I'll see you, please show me that move you did... I'm sure it breaks many laws, and certainly the laws of gravity! :waycool:

Roll on the next Beach Ballroom!

Franck. :hug:

Sandy
24th-November-2003, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Franck
:rofl:

Next time I'll see you, please show me that move you did... I'm sure it breaks many laws, and certainly the laws of gravity! :waycool:

Roll on the next Beach Ballroom!

Franck. :hug: Wow, I like the sound of that!:wink: Looking forward to Feb beach party

Sandy x

Chicklet
24th-November-2003, 05:14 PM
Loverlies in Leather - what were you singing / dancing to????

michael
24th-November-2003, 05:17 PM
Do we actually have a date set for the Beach Ballroom on February?????

Then we can all start to plan ahead. It looks like many of the forumites down south may well make the journey up so advance notice would help them in particular with cheap flights etc and possibly cheaper hotel bookings.:cheers:

Sandy
24th-November-2003, 05:22 PM

Then we can all start to plan ahead. It looks like many of the forumites down south may well make the journey up so advance notice would help them in particular with cheap flights etc and possibly cheaper hotel bookings.:cheers:

I think it's the 21st, that's the Saturday. It's somewhere on the Forum, maybe under Las Palmas???

Sandy

Franck
24th-November-2003, 05:36 PM

Then we can all start to plan ahead. It looks like many of the forumites down south may well make the journey up so advance notice would help them in particular with cheap flights etc and possibly cheaper hotel bookings.:cheers: Yes we do... The Beach Ballroom is booked years in advance :nice:

The next few dates for 2004 are:

Saturday 21st February, 22nd May, 20th November.

So get your diaries out and keep thes week-ends free, especially as I have much more in store during and around the above dates :D

Franck.

linda
24th-November-2003, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Chicklet
Loverlies in Leather - what were you singing / dancing to????

We were singing and dancing to Queen's version of 'A crazy little thing called love'
Heather and I put new words to it ... just for Franck.... 'That crazy French guy called Franck' :wink: :wink: (Heather is going to post the words I think)

Missed you, when will we see you next?????

Linda
:hug:

Gadget
24th-November-2003, 06:47 PM
I ache all over and I need to get some sleep. :tears:

Great weekend. :D There were too many delectable ladies to dance with and too few songs to dance with them to. The band were rather good {<- a slight underestimation :wink:}, if a bit fast to dance to - but that just meant a clearer floor for all us brave souls who risked heart-attacks :grin: :wink:
Loved the last track of the first set where they played with the music. Interesting.

Thank you to all my partners of the evening for making it such an enjoyable night. Memorable moments:
- The dancer who parted with "where have you been all night?"
- SA asking me for a dance even though she had endured my dancing twice already
- Managing to catch Lilly and Pammy for a dance or two.
- Being remembered for dancing with someone two years ago at the same venue when they were a complete beginner.
That's from a sleep depraved and over-tired mind, excluding the band's excentiricities & Franck's birthday present :wink:
If I've omitted anyone or anything, sorry; there was only one dance I had all night that was poor {and I only missed a handful :D} (More a practice in controlling an out-of-controll partner to avoid collisions and keeping my shoulders attached to my body... thinking on it, that may explain my shoulders aching so much.)
Actually, it only served to further contrast the great dancers and dances for the rest of the evening :D

Can't wait till Feb's. :D

{I have a feeling that I'm using :D too much, but it's how my 'inner self' is feeling ("even smiling makes my face ache") ... and I just got a message that I have used too many: even the computer thinks I'm grinning too much!}

Tiggerbabe
24th-November-2003, 07:00 PM
I had a fabulous weekend too :D

Big thanks to Franck for organising it all - and to Franck, Lorna and Lisa for the great workshops. Was great to meet so many new faces at the Beginners Plus workshop and lovely to see most of them at the party at night too. I'm sure a lot of the men will be very grateful to Lorna for all of those new moves at the Ladies Perogative :drool:

The Beach Ballroom looked absolutely superb, it really was a Winter Wonderland. The floor is excellent to dance on and the bar/cloakroom staff are very helpful. The After Eights on the table was a nice touch as are the jugs of iced water (we didn't get a musician on ours :sad: mind you I never sat down all night so it's maybe not surprising :wink: ) Thought the Jive Aces were great too - loved the suits :D And CJ played great music - nearly all my favourites were in there, thanks babe!

It was great to finally meet Pammy and Boomer - loved the shoes Pammy, loved the dances Boomer (once I eventually managed to persuade you onto the dancefloor). Also thought Lily looked absolutely stunning - and had such a wonderful dance with David (I would have loved another but we seemed to keep missing each other - maybe next time I'll be greedy and hang on to him for more than one :drool: )

Like everyone else - I had so many fab dances but missed so many other people that I would have loved to have danced with - I meant to, honest! How come the party went on till 2 am and I still ran out of time?

I love the pictures you've posted, David, of Franck's surprise - enough said - no need for words eh? :wink: :drool:

Only regret - that I forgot my trainers and had to put those bloomin' high heeled (bought in a moment of madness) boots on to get back to the hotel.

Big thanks to Heather for making the tops for the cabaret - took her ages - all that material :wink: :hug:
And to Linda - the Aberdeen Venue Manager - for looking after Franck's cake.
Oh, and Heather Mac, from Dundee for explaining why it helps when you take the lens cover off the video camera - oops!

Heather
24th-November-2003, 08:51 PM
:D As promised, here are the words to Franck's birthday surprise.

This guy called Franck,we just can't handle him,
This guy called Franck,he's got us in a spin,
We kinda like him, Crazy French guy called Franck!!!

This guy called Franck,he drinks Red Bull all night,
He swings, he jives, he shakes all over like a jellyfish,
we kinda like him, Crazy French guy called Franck!!!!

There goes our Franckie, he knows how to rock and roll,
He drives us crazy, he gives us hot and cold fever,
And makes us sigh Ooh la la!

We gotta stay cool, relax, get hip,
Get our French kiss, in the backseat of his car,
With his comb variations, he'll take us far,
We kinda like him, crazy Jivemaster called Franck!!
(Repeat).

This French guy Franck,he sure can shake his ass,
This French guy Franck,he shakes it in his class,
We kinda like it, Crazy French guy called Franck.
Crazy Jivemaster Franck,Crazy French guy called Franck,
Crazy French guy called Franck!!

He seemed to enjoy our rendition on Saturday

:wink: :rofl:especially when all he thought he was getting was a cake! . Only problem is, what is he going to expect next year?

:hug: :kiss:
Heather,
XX

MaxHep
24th-November-2003, 10:57 PM
Hi all!

This is my first ever post and it's just to say how much I (and my sister) enjoyed Saturday night at the Beach Ballroom in Aberdeen.

We were up from Glasgow seeing family and were brought along by a cousin, not knowing what we were letting ourselves in for. But we had such a fantastic time, even though I at least didn't know what I was doing on the dance floor, and we're going to start classes this week.

Look forward to keeping in touch and seeing some of you again in the future.

MaxH

timmah
26th-November-2003, 12:17 AM
4 pics, not great quality, sorry......me & cameras not good buddies