PDA

View Full Version : Oh. No. I can see it now....

TheTramp
22nd-November-2003, 12:26 PM
The year is 2040.

Will is saying: Remember, back in 2003, when we won the world cup. We'lll do it again this year.....

Steve

Chris
22nd-November-2003, 12:30 PM
Scraped. reckon the all blacks wore out the competition :wink:
(but whichever side won was doomed to be insufferable afterwards:rofl: )

Dance Demon
22nd-November-2003, 12:58 PM
OH MY GOD NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! ...............not another 30 years of video clips of "When Engerlund won the world cup....................anyone want to buy a telly:tears: :tears: :wink:

Will
22nd-November-2003, 03:48 PM
http://www.itv.com/news/images/reuters_johnson_cup_l2.jpg

Ian W
22nd-November-2003, 08:16 PM
At the risk of being a bit unpopular on this forum , this just has to be said ... :nice:

Scince I moved to Edinburgh (from Ireland) 14 years ago I never could quite understand the scottish paranoia about the english. The scots always supporting the team playing england (at any sport) always left me a bit bemused. This morning I supported england (as a fellow N.hemisphere team) and was glad to see them win :cheers:

On a slightly more serious note, disliking someone just because of where they are from makes me feel a little uncomfortable. It definitely smacks of racism :(

Maybe this always happens when a small country borders a larger one, and feels its culture is threatened - I've heard its similar between Germany and Denmark.

Sorry to get serious. I just dont understand why the scots cant give credit where credit is due, and congratulate england in thier win. After all, those S.hemisphere teams have had it thier own way for too long.

As to all the 1966 references - I dont think there has been that many. And I'm sure if you listened to French TV they would talk about thier win even more.

Ian

Chris
23rd-November-2003, 04:02 AM
Originally posted by Ian W
I never could quite understand the scottish paranoia about the english. The scots always supporting the team playing england (at any sport) always left me a bit bemused. This morning I supported england (as a fellow N.hemisphere team) and was glad to see them win :cheers:

I just dont understand why the scots cant give credit where credit is due, and congratulate england in thier win.

Good points. Traditionally Scots support whatever team is playing England, as often happens with adjoining countries. But a Scottish newspaper did a survey not that long ago and found that 2/3rds of Scots would in fact support England, contrary to popular opinion.

Much of it is good natured ribbing (though the Scots do this with such a dry expression that the English can take it seriously). When it goes beyond that it's not very nice. Much of British sport is let down by the total lack of 'sportsmanship' by supporters, though I think this is less so for Rugby than, say, football.

My feelings (as someone not very fanatical about sport) were with the Aussies for most of the game, but I was impressed with England's performance as it went into extra time and shifted my sympathies - I felt it was a very deserved win and was pleased England won.

If Scotland had been playing I would have felt patriotic fervour towards Scotland during the whole game, no matter what (unless they persistently acted in an unsporting manner). As they weren't, my interest was largely academic - just enjoyed an exceptionally exciting game.

Paul F
23rd-November-2003, 03:26 PM
Ok, i will get shot down fot this but......

I have been watching the world cup with avid interest as its England (sorry scottish peeps). I have watched nearly every match of all countries but obviously i have been taking note of Englands quest and , to be honest, i have become very dissapointed with Rugby Union. (or goalkick'fest) as its now known.

I have been watching Rugby for many many years now and decided to have a watch of the Rugby League test matches (think called the ashes) on tv over the last few weeks.
I had no idea how much more interesting and exciting League is over union. I hate to say it but the three most important players in a union match are the two kickers and the referee. I counted how many times the ref blew his whistle at one point in a union match (sad i know) but he blew up 8 times in three minutes at one point. Good god . Zzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!
This isnt including how many times the ball went dead for a line out.

So much interest in this World Cup but after that, i have to question why???

Im not sure how well attended the local union matches are but
surely they cant get many spectators watching.

How about the idea of taking penalties down to 2 and drops to 1 as in the other code. This can only make it more exctitng cant it??

Gus
23rd-November-2003, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Paul F

How about the idea of taking penalties down to 2 and drops to 1 as in the other code. This can only make it more exctitng cant it??

Sounds good to me. I remember (many, many) years ago when I played rugby that the real thrill of the game was hammering into rucks to get your hands on the ball, or legging it up with the 3quarters to get the ball to your winger. The running game is a beautifull game. If you want an event to wax lyrical about, what about the 70's BaBas game (v the All Blacks?).

I think rugby is facing a similar situation to Tennis where physical and technological advance ment has changed the game, for the worse. there have been a number of attempts to scupper the (boring) dominance of serve and volley players ... but to date that has not been so succesfull.

All credit to England, but maybe changes are due before the game declines further.

Dreadful Scathe
23rd-November-2003, 07:15 PM
on a slightly more serious note, disliking someone just because of where they are from makes me feel a little uncomfortable. It definitely smacks of racism :(

Thats hardly the same thng as supporting any team playing England. Its nothing personal.

Maybe this always happens when a small country borders a larger one, and feels its culture is threatened - I've heard its similar between Germany and Denmark.

:rofl: did you get British History at school ? theres a bit more to it than the fact that Scotland is a smaller country. And if 9.9 times out of 10 the less than friendly past between Scotland and England comes down to us cheering for the other team, thats hardly terrorism now is it. Raving nationalists are few and far between but Scotland has always maintained a sense of independance with its own legal and school system as well as other major cultural differences, so the fact that The Union was made in 1707 doesnt really come into it. We're brought up knowing a sense of patriotism.

As to all the 1966 references - I dont think there has been that many. And I'm sure if you listened to French TV they would talk about thier win even more.

Youre probably right, but the Welsh and Scots have put up with being labelled 'British' for years whilst English athletes get labelled 'English'. 1966 is a year that is often mentioned even when the media is talking about unrelated sports. The French may mention their win a lot but 1. its more recent and 2. who will watch French TV other than the French ? TV here is broadly British and the non-English nations in Britain are fed up hearing about 1966 :)
But congratulations on winning the World Cup, I would have supported Australia if i had been interested in Rugby :) but as you say - credit where credit is due .

Dance Demon
23rd-November-2003, 08:21 PM
Okie..here goes..................
1. I am not a nationalist 2. I don't crave independance 3. When asked on official forms to state my Nationality, I state British.

However:devil: ....as Chris has stated, most of it is just good natured ribbing:wink: ....but,....it may be that air of superiority that the English establishment give off that gets up other Britons (Scottish, Welsh, Northern Irish,) noses. For example

1. The SCOTTISH F.A. the IRISH FA, the WELSH FA.......THE FA......(Soccer)

2. the SCOTTISH ABA the WELSH ABA the IRISH ABA THE ABA.......(boxing)......

Notice the omission of ENGLISH......because for some reason it's as if the other associations are inconsequent to THE association

Anyway, well done to Englandshire for having the best kicker in world rugby at the moment:wink: ....perhaps some of the older generation will let todays followers know what it was like when tries won tournaments:D

DavidB
23rd-November-2003, 09:16 PM
3 The Royal and Ancient Golf Club that organise "The Open Championship".

Oh sorry - they are based in St Andrews...

TheTramp
23rd-November-2003, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by DavidB
3 The Royal and Ancient Golf Club that organise "The Open Championship".

Oh sorry - they are based in St Andrews... Sorry David. Don't think that I can agree with you on this one.... although, you probably know more about golf than I do....

I believe the full title is actually the 'British' Open (to define it from the American Open), and it has been held at places like Royal St. George's in Kent (in 2003), and the Royal Liverpool Golf Club in Cheshire (next to be held there in 2006).

Steve

Dance Demon
23rd-November-2003, 10:59 PM
And Royal Lytham & St Annes.....Lancashire:na:

Neil
23rd-November-2003, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
I believe the full title is actually the 'British' Open (to define it from the American Open) Sorry to disagree with you, Steve, but I always thought that it was indeed simply 'the Open' (and only Americans called it the 'British Open'!). It's the Open for the same reason that the FA is the FA, rather than the English FA. Simply because it was the first, and all the others are mere imitations :). It's the same with our postage stamps, which do not include the indication "UK" or "GB" or whatever, coz we (Brits) invented 'em.

:cheers:

Neil

DavidB
23rd-November-2003, 11:31 PM
I believe the full title is actually the 'British' Open (to define it from the American Open)It is definitely called "The Open Championship". The only people whe refer to it as the "British Open" are American TV comentators. It was the very first open golf competition in the world, which is why it is simply called "The Open" And for the first 30 years or so it was played exclusively in Scotland. The R&A is the governing body for golf everywhere in the world except the USA. But they would never dream of changing the name.

The Football Association was the very first Football Association in the world. It was started so that the different clubs could play to a standard set of rules. Prior to this each club had its own rules (whereas now only Man U seem to believe a different set of rules should apply to them!) Why should The FA change their name just because someone starts playing the game in a different country?

The Rugby Football Union was the first in the world, and was again started in an attempt to standardise the rules. It originally had Scottish members, and the very first international started when the Scottish members of the RFU challenged the English members to a match. Pretty soon after that the Scots decided to break away and form their own Scottish Rugby Union. If the Scots wanted to leave, why should the remaining members change their name?

I think the ABA was also the first in the world, but the name is "The Amateur Boxing Association of England" anyway.

I was trying to think of another sport (other than golf) invented in Scotland, and could only come up with curling. However there seems to be a desire to emphasise the Scottish roots, so the original world governing body was the 'Royal Caledonian Curling Club'. I dare say that if a world governing body had the word 'England' in the name, the Scots would complain like mad.

David

TheTramp
23rd-November-2003, 11:34 PM
Hmmm. Dunno. 'British Open Golf' on Google search of UK pages only, got 94,200 hits.

Seems that quite a lot of people know it by that name.

Anyhow, the main point is, that it is a British championship. Held all over the UK now.

Steve

DavidB
23rd-November-2003, 11:37 PM
HAnyhow, the main point is, that it is a British championship. Held all over the UK now.And my point was that it is organised by a Scottish organisation, not an English one.

Graham
24th-November-2003, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by Chris
Scraped. reckon the all blacks wore out the competition :wink:
(but whichever side won was doomed to be insufferable afterwards:rofl: ) Safe bet there Chris - the English and the Australians were, after all, insufferable before the match anyway!!!

Graham
24th-November-2003, 12:44 AM
Sorry David. Don't think that I can agree with you on this one.... although, you probably know more about (insert subject here) than I do....
Have to go with David on this one Steve :wink:

Will
24th-November-2003, 01:32 AM
Sorry guys but DavidB is definately right about the golf tournament being called "The Open" and not "The British Open" which is just an Americanism.

He is also correct in saying that we don't identify the FA as English as we invented the game, hence, the FA is assumed to be the English one unless stated otherwise. (And you all know how much I hate agreeing with anything he says after the nasty things he's been saying about Man City FC).

I too struggle to understand why some people (and I accept it is a minority) have this anti-English attitide. If Scotland had been playing Australia in the final instead of us, I'd have loved to see Scotland win!

Hec, Hadrian wall was knocked down 100's of years ago. Get over it guys!:cheers:

Graham
24th-November-2003, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by Will
Hec, Hadrian wall was knocked down 100's of years ago. :really: Really?? All that Lottery money spent opening up tourist facilities has been a bit of a waste then!! :really:

Will
24th-November-2003, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by Graham
:really: Really?? All that Lottery money spent opening up tourist facilities has been a bit of a waste then!! :really:
Remind me to take my passport next time I cross it then :wink:

Anway, that should be the least of your worries. What about the Tower of London? And then you've got those nasty Americans running Alcatraz. Surely that's got to controvene some international convention? :grin:

Graham
24th-November-2003, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Will
Remind me to take my passport next time I cross it then :wink: After your comments last week I would suggest kevlar body armour might come in more useful that a passport. :wink:

LilyB
24th-November-2003, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Graham
After your comments last week I would suggest kevlar body armour might come in more useful that a passport. :wink: Stop it, guys! :mad: Here I am, trying to persuade Wills to come up to Scotland, for the delectation of the lovely Scottish ladies - :drool: - and you guys are scaring him off. :tears:

He's not going to come now, not unless & until he learns to play golf. :what: :devil:

LilyB

Graham
24th-November-2003, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by LilyB
you guys are scaring him off. :tears: He knows we're only joking, and he must be able to take a bit of a ribbing - he is a City fan after all. :wink:

Geordieed
24th-November-2003, 02:41 PM
Hec, Hadrian wall was knocked down 100's of years ago. Get over it guys!:cheers:
Actually Will it is still there.

DavidB
24th-November-2003, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Geordieed
Actually Will it is still there. Well it doesn't work very well. Did you see how many of them came down to Blackpool!!

Chris
24th-November-2003, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by DavidB
Well it doesn't work very well. Did you see how many of them came down to Blackpool!!

Always did think the wall was a bit far north . . . I mean the bit of England north of the wall is sort of ok . . . and it would be handy if London was a bit closer . . . maybe we should just push all the boring bits of England and Wales out into the sea and shove London a bit closer . . .
:na:

Geordieed
24th-November-2003, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Chris
Always did think the wall was a bit far north . . . I mean the bit of England north of the wall is sort of ok . . . and it would be handy if London was a bit closer . . . maybe we should just push all the boring bits of England and Wales out into the sea and shove London a bit closer . . .
:na:

Geordieed
24th-November-2003, 03:30 PM
If you live in London you're practically French (especially those Gooners out there). Did you know that London is closer to Paris than it is to Edinburgh.

Bill
24th-November-2003, 03:33 PM
Bit late in joining in here but I think it's not the English people that many Scots objetc to or resent but the English press.

What bothers me is not that England won the Rugby World Cup but that the so called 'national' press and Tv will cover it and mention it for decades as they have done with the football world cup.

Any opportunity is taken to mention 1966 and yes it was a wonderful achievement for the English team - despite the fact that they had a very friendly linesman :D .

If Scotland won the World Cup ( yeh, very likely :rolleyes: ) we'd be just as proud as the English and we'd mention it as well, just as we always refer to 'that' goal but at least that's on Scottish TV and in the Scottish press.

National TV and press are in fact English based and biased media and that's what irritates so many Scots.

Congratulaitons to England but let's hope the press tone down the references in future.

Dreadful Scathe
24th-November-2003, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Bill

National TV and press are in fact English based and biased media and that's what irritates so many Scots.

Thats pretty much the point really, and i would say that national identity is quite strong in all countries in the United Kingdom. Northern Ireland actually has it worse than Scotland in the press a lot of the time as it is part of the United Kingdom but often not listed as such. (full title is The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland).

But, hey this is trivial stuff - is anyone going to lose sleep over such minor considerations ? :)

Geordieed
24th-November-2003, 03:59 PM
Just be thankful that we're not Canadian.

Bill
25th-November-2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe

But, hey this is trivial stuff - is anyone going to lose sleep over such minor considerations ? :)

hey.............I couldn't sleep last night :D :na:

psyc0diver
25th-November-2003, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Geordieed
Just be thankful that we're not Canadian.

Or even worse - American (pity theres no 'scream' smiley)