PDA

View Full Version : Swan Lake

Agente Secreto
3rd-February-2009, 10:01 AM
I braved the snow to travel to Cambridge last night to see my very first ballet, accompanied by the 3 women in my life:waycool:.

Swan Lake was performed by a touring Russian ballet company that I'd never heard of - The Russian State Ballet of Siberia from Krasnoyarsk.

I loved it - the dancers were amazing and so was the orchestra (and it is funny just how many tunes from Swan Lake are easily recognisable). I was completely taken in by the sheer emotion being conveyed in the choreography and it makes me realise just how limited my own dancing is.

I'm left wondering if this was so enjoyable then how good might a top-flight ballet company be? Those of you out there that are real culture junkies who do you suggest?

Agent 000
Licensed to Dance

Dreadful Scathe
3rd-February-2009, 10:29 AM
My favourites are Birmingham Royal Ballet (http://www.brb.org.uk/masque/index.htm?act=WhatsOn)

Aurion
3rd-February-2009, 11:38 AM
Little Black Dress and I are going to see the Northern Ballet Theatre perform Swan Lake next month:clap:

If you get the chance go and see them!
Their performances and staging are always visually stunning :waycool:

Their shows range from the classics like Swan Lake through to maybe more accessible stories like A Streetcar Named Desire and Dracula so there should be something that appeals to most people.

rubyred
3rd-February-2009, 03:00 PM
Little Black Dress and I are going to see the Northern Ballet Theatre perform Swan Lake next month:clap:

If you get the chance go and see them!
Their performances and staging are always visually stunning :waycool:

Their shows range from the classics like Swan Lake through to maybe more accessible stories like A Streetcar Named Desire and Dracula so there should be something that appeals to most people.

Swan Lake is one of the best ballets to see for the first time, its on in Manchester along with Coppelia, which I haven't see yet, the week after next.

Aurion I saw Dracula a few years ago and it was absolutely amazing, it was the same company and preformed at the Palace in Manchester. You know when you've seen something and the memory stays with you,well that was my experience. I still don't know how Dracula managed to dance in the outfit he wore which I thought would trip him up, but it didn't.

Astro
3rd-February-2009, 03:20 PM
Swan Lake is one of the best ballets to see for the first time,

I saw it by a Russian Company,(Moscow), it was magnificent.

What happened to my plan to see more Ballet? :doh:

Aurion
3rd-February-2009, 03:49 PM
You know when you've seen something and the memory stays with you,well that was my experience. I still don't know how Dracula managed to dance in the outfit he wore which I thought would trip him up, but it didn't.

I can still remember the way he moved across the stage, particularly when he slowly decended the scaffolding (upside down) from the 1st story set, he seemed to flow down, then along the floor.

It's one of the things that impresses me with ballet dancers, it's the strength and control they have to make something look light and flowing when in reality it is anything but.

:worthy:

rubyred
3rd-February-2009, 04:25 PM
I can still remember the way he moved across the stage, particularly when he slowly decended the scaffolding (upside down) from the 1st story set, he seemed to flow down, then along the floor.

It's one of the things that impresses me with ballet dancers, it's the strength and control they have to make something look light and flowing when in reality it is anything but.

:worthy:

I have to say I wondered if he was on some kind of moving floor, he just glided across as if his feet had little wings on them.

emmylou25
3rd-February-2009, 08:32 PM
Apart from Birmingham Royal Ballet, I would also suggest English National Ballet or The Royal Ballet (plus with them you get the bonus of the Royal Opera House).

New York City ballet are amazing for more modern works - although getting them on tour generally means living with the uncomfortable seats at the London Coliseum.

If the standard of their opera performances are anything to go by, stay clear of anything produced by Ellen Kent (generally they tour round the provincial theatres).

gamebird
3rd-February-2009, 09:13 PM
I used to do and go to a lot of ballet as a child and hadn't been for years (no laughing!).

A few years ago I took a rugged, hairy, not particularly in touch with his femenine side, boyfriend to see Swan Lake by these guys -
Les Ballets Trockadero de Monte Carlo -
he never thought he'd enjoy ballet but had a great time watching these guys and not just for the comedy, though they were absolutely hilarious. But also incredibly talented - I'd recommend them if they come to a theatre near you.