PDA

View Full Version : Lindy footwork patterns

Gav
28th-January-2009, 10:10 AM
So far I've been to one teacher that teaches only 8-count triple step and Charleston (they've never even mentioned that there are others) and now I'm doing a course with teachers that also teach 6-count basic and 6-count triple step.

So that makes 4 types of footwork patterns that I know of.

I have 2 questions for the more experienced 'hoppers':

Are there any more types?
How do you decide which to use?

is it just a matter of choosing your favourite?
what you feel like doing at the time?
I suspect it's driven by the music playing at the time?

If so, what makes a particular pattern suitable for a particular track?

DJ Andy
28th-January-2009, 01:32 PM
My (admittedly limited) understanding of lindy footwork patterns, is that there are single, double, and triple time.
'Single' being the six beat basic you mentioned (step, step, rockstep)
'Double' involving kicks (kick replace, kick replace, rockstep)
Triple being the triple step you mentioned.

Of course when you get to 8 beat stuff, you can stick kicks between your triple steps just to complicate matters!

AFAIC, I do whatever the music and mood suggest, but I expect Straycat is the expert to give a proper answer!

straycat
28th-January-2009, 02:26 PM
I do so love that earthy smell when you open a fresh can of worms... :D

Basically, so far as the common footwork patterns go, Andy's pretty much summed it up - although you need to add all the Charleston variations.

The good news is that you can go a pretty long way only using your 8-count basic (plus 6-count if you're so inclined), and Charlestons.

Single time and kicksteps are normally reserved for when the music gets too fast to easily do triples.

But.

As you get more and more comfortable with the footwork, the game starts to change completely. The way I see it is that these patterns are chiefly a guide - they get one familiar with the footwork techniques, how they tie into the music, how they tie into your connection and lead etc - but once you've got to grips with all that, you can pretty much cut loose and do whatever you feel like. It's not easy at first and I've been to workshops where all the teachers did was give us exercises to break us out of the 8-count patterns most of us (especially me) were locked into, but it's so much fun when you start to get it.

Here's a fun example video - Dax & Emily, mucking about with footwork patterns (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=TLgh5ZT2kOs&fmt=18) (for a 4 minute dance, there's an incredibly small number of actual moves in there)
The thing about this video, especially as the track has no real breaks, and a scarcity of dramtic hits and the like, is that at first glance, there might not seem to be a whole lot of musical interpretation going on. There's an amazing amount of different rhythmic variation going on with the various different instruments at different points though, and what you see them doing is picking out various different rhythms and instruments, and coming up with footwork etc to suit.

Gav
28th-January-2009, 02:32 PM
I do so love that earthy smell when you open a fresh can of worms... :D

Gav puts the lid back on, slides the can into the back of the cupboard and sneaks away...

straycat
28th-January-2009, 02:38 PM
Gav puts the lid back on, slides the can into the back of the cupboard and sneaks away...

Sorry.... too much information? :innocent:

Gav
28th-January-2009, 02:49 PM
Sorry.... too much information? :innocent:

:lol: not at all, but the answers to my questions are way higher than my current ability level.
I'm glad I know the answer, but it'll be a while before I can make use of it. :worthy:

Gav
29th-January-2009, 04:29 PM
Aha!
The teachers gave a new spin on where the 6-count triples could be useful.
Bearing in mind that theoretically we only know 6-count basic and 6-count triple, they said that 6-count triple is good to use for very slow tracks where 6-count basic feels awkward (and it does!).
Also, that above a certain speed, triple steps are not a good idea and you look very silly trying.

clevedonboy
29th-January-2009, 09:13 PM
oooo Lindy footwork one of my favourites!

There are MANY teachers who give you the shortcut to dancing Lindy and it's the 8 count - it's simple and gives you the way to "perfect" musicality - if you start on 1 you can guarantee to be hitting those breaks!

Unfortunately, they're missing the point of the original dance - it wasn't 1 2 3&4 5 6 7&8 but Quick Quick Slow Slow or Quick Quick Triple Step Triple Step or (I could go on all night) anyway the point was the patterns usully began Quick Quick (Rock Step typically) - after that all bets were off.

If you are with teachers who teach six & eight count that's better for you - many of the six count shapes have lots of energy whilst also being pretty simple to remember (so you have more chance to improvise).

The music will often tell you which footwork to use when the music has a two step feel, Charleston steps rule, Boogie Woogie feels right to triple to (even though you may need the oxygen at the end of the track). And then there's Rock n' Roll the perfect music for six count single time.

Basically, don't let anyone tell you there is a right or wrong thing to do!