PDA

View Full Version : Brain Freeze!

frolicols
26th-January-2009, 10:29 AM
Hi all, first time poster here! I've been doing Ceroc for three weeks now (in Stevenage, for my sins) and am loving it! I've been trying to "get ahead" by reviewing the free DVD and learning all the beginners moves.

The problem I'm having now is linking them together! I know all the moves separately. It's like I can't decide which move to do next! What I want to ask is, what would you suggest is a nice "fallback" combination to do if my brain freezes? Manspin -> Backpass? What is your fallback when your mind is elsewhere?

CheesyRobMan
26th-January-2009, 10:41 AM
Hi all, first time poster here! I've been doing Ceroc for three weeks now (in Stevenage, for my sins) and am loving it! I've been trying to "get ahead" by reviewing the free DVD and learning all the beginners moves.

The problem I'm having now is linking them together! I know all the moves separately. It's like I can't decide which move to do next! What I want to ask is, what would you suggest is a nice "fallback" combination to do if my brain freezes? Manspin -> Backpass? What is your fallback when your mind is elsewhere?

Welcome!

It took me about 3 months to be comfortable with all the beginners' moves and then about another 3 months to be able to link them as I wished in freestyle without having to stop and think. Don't worry if it isn't coming together just yet, it does take a bit of time. One good way of expanding your repertoire is just to concentrate on (say) 3 or 4 moves to start with and make sure you are really comfortable with them, then each week add in a new move and try to include it in each dance you have. Most of the beginners' moves can be linked to each other and if not then a quick in & out hand swap will do the job.

My "brain dead" routine is a first move, manspin, yoyo and shoulder-drop - gives me a few seconds to think about what to do next if I've gone blank, been distracted or if my partner is too darn sexy for me to think straight :wink:

martingold
26th-January-2009, 11:09 AM

welcome to the forum Frolicols
dont worry about brain freeze it happens to all of us from time to time
end up slipping into first moves and yoyos lol :whistle:

what i would suggest you do is on wed have a word with amy (the teacher)
Also you could chat to Sue (alan on the doors wife ) she is really nice and patient
If you prefer to talk to a male lead theres Richard the demo DTS from here who i think still taxis there or of course alan on the door
all of them good people with loads of experience helping new dancers get the most out of the night

You can tell any of them martin from chelmsford told you to talk to them they will know me lol

martingold
26th-January-2009, 11:10 AM
if I've gone blank, been distracted or if my partner is too darn sexy for me to think straight :wink:
arnt most of the follows (inc DTS) just that lol

MarkW
26th-January-2009, 11:15 AM

Hi there.

The brain freeze moment still gets me but the symptoms are less obvious than way back when. Then - stood still in mild panic; now - wondering where my moves have all gone and hoping my partner doesn't object to seeing the same move AGAIN.

My first fallback four was first move, arm jive, man spin, hatch back (no longer a beginner move).

Your local taxi dancers will probably prove to be a great help with this sort of thing, don't be afraid to nab them.

Have fun,
Mark

bigdjiver
26th-January-2009, 11:31 AM
Hi all, first time poster here! ... What is your fallback when your mind is elsewhere?Welcome.

A useful time consuming move is basket walk-around. Get into basket position then walk around, man forwards lady backwards. Hip wiggling an option. This gives an opportunity for a friendly chat. Diverting the brain unfreezes it.

Little Monkey
26th-January-2009, 11:36 AM
Hi frolicols, welcome to the forum, and welcome to the wonderful world of dance!

I'm a female, but also enjoy dancing as a lead. Although I've danced for a long time, I still have the odd moment when I'm really tired, and my brain just freezes when I'm leading. I normally do an armjive, in and out or an octopus until my brain catches up again, and I think of another move! All those moves are good 'filler moves' that will allow you some thinking time.

I also think CheesyRobMan's advice was spot on: Concentrate on a few moves (3-4) until you're comfortable with them. Then add more, or start learning variations. The armjive can be ended with a swizzle, a turn or a push spin, leaving you with three options of which handhold to end up with, depending on what move you want to do next: double handed, left handed or right handed.

I've recently taken my boyfriend to his first ever ceroc class, and he's now determined to learn it all, and do it all perfectly straight away! I've given him the same advice: Concentrate on a few key moves until you're comfortable with them and do them correctly, then add a move at the time, slowly building up your repertoire. But remember, even the most advanced dancers stick to a fairly limited repertoire of moves! Most dancers will agree that it's not the number of moves you know that counts, but how you do them.

Good luck, and happy dancing!

Little Monkey :flower:

dave the scaffolder
26th-January-2009, 11:45 AM

Welcome to the murky world of the Forum frolicols.

I will be at Stevenage on Wednesday, come and grab me and I will spend a bit of time with you to try and help you with this.

Ps I am the bald Welsh bloke who will not be Taxi'ing next Wednesday but come and have a chat anyway.

DTS Dave XXX XXX

martingold
26th-January-2009, 11:46 AM
Concentrate on a few key moves until you're comfortable with them and do them correctly, then add a move at the time, slowly building up your repertoire. But remember, even the most advanced dancers stick to a fairly limited repertoire of moves! Most dancers will agree that it's not the number of moves you know that counts, but how you do them.

Good luck, and happy dancing!

Little Monkey :flower:
good advice indeed
i think most ceroc and mj dancers go through the stage of thinking they have to throw a whole load of moves at a dance to make it interesting for the follow
then hopefully you come out the other side and realise that the more moves you throw at a dance the more there is to go wrong
you then smooth it all out and reduce your move quota to the bare necessities and leave the move choice to the music
It will come i guarantee it but give it time

martingold
26th-January-2009, 11:47 AM
Ps I am the bald Welsh bloke
DTS Dave XXX XXX
you missed the magnificent bit

Chef
26th-January-2009, 11:48 AM
Hello and welcome to the forum.

The previous posters have given lots of good advice, all of which is worth pursuing.

I would urge you to be more forgiving of yourself and not put too much self imposed pressure as this can be counter productive. When you are learning from the DVD you don't have the added complexity of leading a partner. When you are leading a partner in the class then sometimes things don't go as you expect and there is a moment of doubt or confusion which is difficult for you to deal with or recover from. At your current stage this is exntirely normal.

Learning stuff in the lessons is different from leading the same stuff in freestyle. In the lessons you know the sequence of moves, with all the hand changes and your main problem is holding the individual moves and sequence in your head. Your partner also knows the sequence and sometimes this is a help and sometimes it is a hinderance. In the lesson all the dancers tend to stick to their own space and you don't have to worry too much about avoiding them.

A lot of this changes when you get into freestyle. Your partner does not know what is coming next and can offer no help (indeed it really is better if they just follow your mistakes accurately so that you can refine your lead). In freestyle, both you and your partner will be less accurate in the positioning of your moves, as will all the other dancers around you - this will give you even more to think about at a time when you are already fully loaded with thinking about moves, hand changes, staying in time, leading your partner, coping with your own mistakes and the mistakes of your partner. In short you are getting mentally overloaded with all the (new) things that you have to do.

All I ask you to do is to breathe in and out, relax, and understand that what you are going through is what every other experienced dancer in the room has gone through. Because we have all gone through it you will find that everyone you dance with (worth dancing with) is very tolerant and understanding of what you are going through.

Understand that you will learn stuff in layers. As one aspect becomes second nature you will turn your mental abilities to (and be frustrated by) another layer.

As for on the floor brain freeze. I still get it when I try other dance styles. Try doing one of the beginners workshops. I found them very helpful. They contain much more information than just the beginners moves. Well worth doing.

dave the scaffolder
26th-January-2009, 11:48 AM
you missed the magnificent bit

Lets ease him gentle like!

DTS XXX XXX

frolicols
26th-January-2009, 11:53 AM
Welcome to the murky world of the Forum frolicols.

I will be at Stevenage on Wednesday, come and grab me and I will spend a bit of time with you to try and help you with this.

Ps I am the bald Welsh bloke who will not be Taxi'ing next Wednesday but come and have a chat anyway.

DTS Dave XXX XXX

Ahhhh the same bloke that took us for the beginner breakout session and said I was "spot on"? :wink: (I was the chap in the blue A-team t-shirt!)

dave the scaffolder
26th-January-2009, 11:57 AM
Ahhhh the same bloke that took us for the beginner breakout session and said I was "spot on"? :wink: (I was the chap in the blue A-team t-shirt!)

I know you mate, you are doing exceptionaly well, me and the Batgirl will work on your links and get you a fallback routine for when you get a brainfreeze.

Stop panicing you are way ahead of the learning curve, Batgirl said to me last Wednesday that you were picking it up really well.

So........Dont panic, we will sort you out on Wednesday mate.

DTS XXX XXX

frolicols
26th-January-2009, 12:00 PM
I know you mate, you are doing exceptionaly well, me and the Batgirl will work on your links and get you a fallback routine for when you get a brainfreeze.

Stop panicing you are way ahead of the learning curve, Batgirl said to me last Wednesday that you were picking it up really well.

So........Dont panic, we will sort you out on Wednesday mate.

DTS XXX XXX

That'd be great! Everyone is really cheery up there (and on here too) It definitely gets you motivated!!!

dave the scaffolder
26th-January-2009, 12:06 PM
Good man yourself! We shall see you on Wednesday mate.

DTS XXX XXX

Batgirl
26th-January-2009, 12:26 PM
Hi There xxx

I danced with you twice on Wednesday and you are doing amazingly well.

As the others have said - don't panic, it will take some time to settle into it.

Mind you - when dancing with you on wednesday it felt more like a social dance than a taxi dance (If you know what I mean)
For a dancer who has been learning for only a few weeks (which you can normally tell by their hand grip and the terror on their faces) you have good confidence and the tension in your arm is great - not a yanker or a wet fish - so just keep on enjoying it and don't get too bogged down in 'learning' the moves - look at DTS - he only dances about 8 official moves.(Note to DTS: the hair pull is NOT an official move:eyebrow:)

See you on Wednesday!

Rachel
x

martingold
26th-January-2009, 12:29 PM
(which you can normally tell by their hand grip and the terror on their faces)
what do you think of the terror on my face when i dance with you rachel babes :flower:

(Note to DTS: the hair pull is NOT an official move:eyebrow:)

barbs will want to know if the armpit tickle is an official move

frolicols
26th-January-2009, 12:30 PM
Hi There xxx

As the others have said - don't panic, it will take some time to settle into it.

Mind you - when dancing with you on wednesday it felt more like a social dance than a taxi dance (If you know what I mean)
For a dancer who has been learning for only a few weeks (which you can normally tell by their hand grip and the terror on their faces) you have good confidence and the tension in your arm is great - not a yanker or a wet fish - so just keep on enjoying it and don't get too bogged down in 'learning' the moves - look at DTS - he only dances about 8 official moves.(Note to DTS: the hair pull is NOT an official move:eyebrow:)

See you on Wednesday!

Rachel
x

Do all threads turn into love-ins? :waycool: Not that I'm complaining, I love a good ego massage! :innocent:

dave the scaffolder
26th-January-2009, 12:39 PM
what do you think of the terror on my face when i dance with you rachel babes :flower:

barbs will want to know if the armpit tickle is an official move

The armpit tickle is a little move I try on my very select dancers. Barbs is one of my select few mate. There is a variation mit use of the tongue, we may have to work up to that gently.:devil::flower:

Nothing wrong with a little hair pull, a little tickle and a good tongue swipe on the dance floor pips. I pay my taxes, ok I dont, but you get the drift.

DTS XXX XXX

Batgirl
26th-January-2009, 12:42 PM
Do all threads turn into love-ins? :waycool: Not that I'm complaining, I love a good ego massage! :innocent:

No Sweetie - unfortunately it can get quite cutting on the forum.

But I try to live by the rule - if you can't say something nice - say nothing at all.

Each to their own.

Rachel
xx

frolicols
26th-January-2009, 12:50 PM
Hmm maybe I'll keep my head down in that case! Don't want to stir up trouble! :P

The girls that I come along with both work with me so we have been disappearing at lunch to have a practice in spare rooms! My yoyo is coming along nicely it seems (well I guess we'll see on Wednesday!).

I've also taken Gav's advice about adding a bit of flair to it for some fun - he seems to be the King of Flamboyance!

dave the scaffolder
26th-January-2009, 12:59 PM
Hmm maybe I'll keep my head down in that case! Don't want to stir up trouble! :P

The girls that I come along with both work with me so we have been disappearing at lunch to have a practice in spare rooms! My yoyo is coming along nicely it seems (well I guess we'll see on Wednesday!).

I've also taken Gav's advice about adding a bit of flair to it for some fun - he seems to be the King of Flamboyance!

Gav is without doubt the most flamboyant dancer upon the dance scene mate, any advice from flamboyant Gav is worth heeding. Gav is a prince amongst men IMHO.

DTS XXX XXX

Clueless
26th-January-2009, 01:51 PM
Hi Frolicols,

I did and still do get brian freezes as every other person has said on here. I was once dancing and did the beginners stop and then start again, you do get out of this and like people have said do basic simple moves and ones that can take a while the basket walk around, Octopus, first move even a comb can be good for padding.

I realsied, that when I danced I used to think too much about the moves and what I was going to do next etc etc, I have managed to get a small, limited yet (I Hope) pleasant repertoire. Eventually it does become second nature and you end up switching your brain off and let the music take you away and the moves will flow.

Stop kicking yourself in the derriere, at 3 weeks I was still to scared to dance. You’re doing fine mate. Take notes from DTS and Bat girl they're good dancers.

David Bailey
26th-January-2009, 02:04 PM
Hi all, first time poster here!
Hi Frolicols and welcome :)

What I want to ask is, what would you suggest is a nice "fallback" combination to do if my brain freezes?
Good question - and you're right, it's very good to have a backup move / combo.

Personally, I'd keep it simple - when I started learning, I remember Mike Ellard suggested the "Hallelujah" move (God knows what it's called now) - as it's simple, and can be stretched out as required.

I'd also say it's never too early to start thinking about technique:
- Are you moving on time?
- Are you leading (not yanking) your follower?
- Are you smiling?

(Note to DTS: the hair pull is NOT an official move:eyebrow:)
Well it damn well should be. The trick is to get a good handful by the root.... err, so I'm informed.

frolicols
26th-January-2009, 02:09 PM
Hi Frolicols and welcome :)

I'd also say it's never too early to start thinking about technique:
- Are you moving on time?
- Are you leading (not yanking) your follower?
- Are you smiling?

I think I've got these three down (probably the last a little too much). I think on the smiling front I need to tone it down a bit, I probably look like a crazed maniac!!!! Luckily there doesn't seem to be any allowance for biting heads off bats yet (or batgirls for that matter).

Trouble
26th-January-2009, 02:10 PM

!

no you dont.

Gadget
26th-January-2009, 02:55 PM
Welcome :D

Lots of good advice above - sounds like you're in the right place to get some 'hands on' encouragement :clap:

"fallback" combinations; I normally use simple moves (plural is optional) that end with the same hand-hold as they start with and folks just think that I'm good at stringing moves together ;)
Simple ideas that work for me:

Man-spin/shoulder slide/step across. (while stepping past your partner, all you're doing is gradually raising the hand. Hardest bit is catching with the hand you've just let go of. And while your back is to your partner you can be quickly scanning the floor for inspiration from other leads)

Octpus/basket (again, it's a 'look around and catch some inspiration' move. You can do however many legs of an octopus as you want, break it with the odd basket and use the exit to start another one.)

Shoulder drop/Catapult/back pass mishmash thingie (they all involve your partner passing behind you, so you have a good excuse to look around. Don't be worried if you forget exactly which move of these you're doing - just exit like one of the other ones and you'll look like you know what you're doing.)

My most common combo just now is based on the first move, then working out every exit I can from it, and how to get back into the first move again... but I have spent years breaking down moves and putting them together again; I have hundreds of options from every count within a move - you will soon begin to see some repetition in classes and "this move is similar to that move" from this you will then begin to work out your own combos...

I think I've got these three down (probably the last a little too much). I think on the smiling front I need to tone it down a bit, I probably look like a crazed maniac!!!! Luckily there doesn't seem to be any allowance for biting heads off bats yet (or batgirls for that matter).
Never have too much smiling :D Just avoid fluids leaking from the corners of the mouth :what:

Some general advice:
1) Don't stop. If something goes wrong, it's an improvisation you haven't mastered yet; pretend it was intentional and you'll look cool.

2) Don't be afraid to loose your partner. No gripping, no 'snatching' of hands, let them go if they are pulling you about,... the furthest your partner is going is a step away.

3) Share the movement. If your partner is stepping forward, you step forward to meet them half-way. If you are turning them, step in on the turn and step back when they do. If your partner is moving to your side, bring your side half-way towards them. Much less effort on your arms and back.

4) have fun

5) don't hurt your partner (or yourself)

The last two should really be numbers 1 an 2, but you probably know them already. ;)

{Some of the links on my syg may also be of use.}

Trouble
26th-January-2009, 03:21 PM
Brain freeze comes whether your experienced or not im afraid.

Most men dancers have a set few moves they use and thats it. Full stop. Its quite rare that they change those set moves. What they might do is ham them up a bit or they might get sabotaged and that will make for a little interest but its quite normal to get used to something then not bother to change it much. :D

frolicols
26th-January-2009, 05:01 PM
Thanks for all the advice everyone! I'm itching for it to be Wednesday night already!

dave the scaffolder
26th-January-2009, 05:17 PM
Gav is without doubt the most flamboyant dancer upon the dance scene mate, any advice from flamboyant Gav is worth heeding. Gav is a prince amongst men IMHO.

DTS XXX XXX

Allow me to clarify my above statement afore the wrong end of the stick is grasped.

Gav is a well respected member of this Forum and an accomplished dancer. Gav is a man of few words, so when advice is offered from Gav, it would do you well to listen what he has to say. Gav is also nearly as tall as me, another reason to mark his words.

Hope this clears up any little misunderstanding anyone may have.

Bless you.

DTS XXX XXX:worthy:

Lory
26th-January-2009, 05:25 PM
H What is your fallback when your mind is elsewhere?

I danced with a newby guy last night (it was his 5th time) anyway, about 2 minutes into the dance he cried, "help, I'm stuck, I can't get out of this move" :tears: he was doing the one where the guy loops his hand over his head, then over the follows head, then over his head, then over my head, then over his head then.............

anyway, I laughed and said, shall I get you out of it? :innocent:

So, I backlead a little exit and he said WOW, can we do that a couple of times, so I know how to do it myself?

If you happened to be dancing with a more experienced follow, just fess up and ask for help.. you might even learn a couple of new moves in the process and its far better than standing there looking like a lemon! :wink::hug:

David Bailey
26th-January-2009, 05:30 PM
I danced with a newby guy last night (it was his 5th time) anyway, about 2 minutes into the dance he cried, "help, I'm stuck, I can't get out of this move" :tears: he was doing the one where the guy loops his hand over his head, then over the follows head, then over his head, then over my head, then over his head then.............
Ah yes, the Shoop Shoop Move :)

Gadget
26th-January-2009, 06:43 PM
{psssst - if you are going to get stuck in a move loop, try and make sure at least one bit of the loop has you facing away from your partner - much more likely to find inspiration that way ;) ... looking over their heads or peering around shoulders could be considered rude and kind of gives the game away :whistle: }

MarkW
27th-January-2009, 01:38 AM
No Sweetie - unfortunately it can get quite cutting on the forum.

But I try to live by the rule - if you can't say something nice - say nothing at all.

Each to their own.

Rachel
xx

I have a similar rule:

If you can't say anything nice about anyone then come and sit by me :really:

martingold
27th-January-2009, 09:46 AM
I have a similar rule:

If you can't say anything nice about anyone then come and sit by me :really:
no fair mark we all want to hear the gossip lol:waycool:

Gav
27th-January-2009, 10:32 AM
I did and still do get brian freezes

What's so special about Brian's freezes? :na:

Allow me to clarify my above statement afore the wrong end of the stick is grasped.

To further 'clarify', frolicols was not talking about me. :waycool:

dave the scaffolder
27th-January-2009, 01:48 PM
What's so special about Brian's freezes? :na:

To further 'clarify', frolicols was not talking about me. :waycool:

Good that means there is not a problem then doesn't it Gav

DTS

dave the scaffolder
29th-January-2009, 01:15 AM
Ok moving on Pips as twere, me and the Batgirl sorted out some filler, thinking moves for frolicolis. He really is coming on a treat and will make a mark upon the dance scene. Well done mate you are doing it all the right way IMHO.

DTS XXX XXX

frolicols
29th-January-2009, 07:00 PM
Ok moving on Pips as twere, me and the Batgirl sorted out some filler, thinking moves for frolicolis. He really is coming on a treat and will make a mark upon the dance scene. Well done mate you are doing it all the right way IMHO.

DTS XXX XXX

Thanks Dave, I really enjoyed last night!!! I feel like I know the beginner moves now technique-wise, but need to style them up a bit! Like I said, I might give it a couple more weeks and then have a go at the intermediates!!

whitetiger1518
5th-February-2009, 02:18 PM
Hi frolicols,

Welcome to the forum,

Hi There xxx

For a dancer who has been learning for only a few weeks (which you can normally tell by their hand grip and the terror on their faces) you have good confidence and the tension in your arm is great - not a yanker or a wet fish - so just keep on enjoying it and don't get too bogged down in 'learning' the moves - look at DTS - he only dances about 8 official moves.(Note to DTS: the hair pull is NOT an official move)

See you on Wednesday!

Rachel
x

High praise indeed from Batgirl - Take this as a serious compliment :waycool: If you have Batgirl and DTS singing your praises, then you are definitely worth dancing with - If you have the time, then come up North and visit. :drool:

Hi Frolicols,

I did and still do get brian freezes as every other person has said on here. I was once dancing and did the beginners stop and then start again, you do get out of this and like people have said do basic simple moves and ones that can take a while the basket walk around, Octopus, first move even a comb can be good for padding.

I realsied, that when I danced I used to think too much about the moves and what I was going to do next etc etc, I have managed to get a small, limited yet (I Hope) pleasant repertoire. Eventually it does become second nature and you end up switching your brain off and let the music take you away and the moves will flow.

Stop kicking yourself in the derriere, at 3 weeks I was still to scared to dance. You’re doing fine mate. Take notes from DTS and Bat girl they're good dancers.

You always have been a lovely dancer Clueless - don't worry yourself! :hug:

I danced with a newby guy last night (it was his 5th time) anyway, about 2 minutes into the dance he cried, "help, I'm stuck, I can't get out of this move" he was doing the one where the guy loops his hand over his head, then over the follows head, then over his head, then over my head, then over his head then.............

anyway, I laughed and said, shall I get you out of it?

So, I backlead a little exit and he said WOW, can we do that a couple of times, so I know how to do it myself?

If you happened to be dancing with a more experienced follow, just fess up and ask for help.. you might even learn a couple of new moves in the process and its far better than standing there looking like a lemon!

:yeah: Experienced Follows can play with the music and add style to even the most basic move. I like repeated moves as they let me think of variations that can add to the interpretation of the music.

Thanks Dave, I really enjoyed last night!!! I feel like I know the beginner moves now technique-wise, but need to style them up a bit! Like I said, I might give it a couple more weeks and then have a go at the intermediates!!

IMO a smile is the best move you can bring to the dancefloor. Everything else is a bonus!

In fact the fewer moves well done, the better, IMHO :worthy: (also the slower the better, for Blues but that is another story :blush:)

Hope to meet you soon

Cheers Whitetiger