PDA

View Full Version : Hey babe, fancy a coffee?

Boomer
20th-November-2003, 12:34 PM
Prompted by Chris’s ‘fess up..’ thread would anyone like to share their best and worse ‘chat-up’ moments? Anything ‘chat-up’ related goes, lines, experiences, successes, blow-outs etc. In fact anything goes full-stop.

The only thing approaching a chat-up that I have/had is ‘Any chance of a drink and a chat?’, nice and safe. Fortunately, I have no experiences with embarrassing ‘put downs-offs’. Of course, now that I have an official ‘McGregster pulling shirt’, ‘Chat-up lines’ have been rendered obsolete :waycool:

:grin:

Pammy
20th-November-2003, 12:40 PM
My best one was a guy years ago (at ice-skating in Queensway) who was totally socially inept who said "I'd love to go out with you, you're not like other girls, your face isn't shaped like a shovel" :confused: :what: :really:

That was, I'm told, a compliment :grin:

Dave Hancock
20th-November-2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Pammy
a guy who said "I'd love to go out with you, you're not like other girls, your face isn't shaped like a shovel"

How sweet! Are you still togethere?

Bardsey
20th-November-2003, 01:54 PM

That was, I'm told, a compliment :grin:

A guy at a dance the other week came up to me, sat down beside me and proceeded to "sell" himself to me, listed what he thought was okay to do and not to do within a relationship, how many times a week we should see each other to start with etc. All through this I said nothing.... I couldn't cos for once in my life I was gobsmacked! When he'd finished, he looked at me, clearly expecting me to fall into his arms with joy. I looked him straight in the eyes and said ..... "sorry, what did you say? I missed that?" He walked off in a huff!

Why? Can anyone explain to me why? Did I upset him in some way? :rofl: :rofl:

Boomer
20th-November-2003, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Bardsey
...All through this I said nothing.... I couldn't cos for once in my life I was gobsmacked! ...
There is a god!:grin: you should have married him, there and then, cost the paracetamol(?) industry a fortune :devil:

I'm only joking hun!:hug::kiss: :hug: :hug: ...or am I :devil:

:nice:

Bardsey
20th-November-2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Boomer

I'm only joking hun!:hug::kiss: ...or am I :devil:

oooh just wait til we meet face to mask! I could be coming down there soon, but don't know when just yet, so don't hold your breath.......on the other hand......:rofl: :kiss: :hug:

Boomer
20th-November-2003, 02:36 PM
... so don't hold your breath.......on the other hand......:rofl: :kiss: :hug:

Oh ouch! :tears:

Not a chat-up but a date thing, long-story short.

1st date, me and girl. Raining, me in desert-boots (quite snazzy) near the flicks. Cinema, has big marble step outside - raining. Me, feeling silly, tries to show off. hop-skip-jump onto step - raining, desert-boots, marble step- us, puzzled exchange of looks I as I slid past her on my bum (in slow-motion of course), feet in the air, brolly and arms flung-out for balance :blush: :tears:

Bardsey
20th-November-2003, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Boomer
as a slid past her on my bum (in slow-motion of course), feet in the air, brolly and arms flung-out for balance :blush: :tears:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: that made me laugh out loud.....thanks Boomster! You just redeemed yourself :cheers:

Dreadful Scathe
20th-November-2003, 02:51 PM

Why? Can anyone explain to me why? Did I upset him in some way? :rofl: :rofl:

Dunno, but you do know dont you - that its ok to meet people on, say, a public forum. You could get chatting, you'd find out what a nice person they are, better than any other guy you've ever met , meet up around 2 or 3 times a week and maybe even share a McDonalds milkshake during week 4. Week 6 would see you sharing the straw and its then acceptable to want to think about marriage and the possibility of rearing socially inept children. My arms are now waiting for you to fall into them :D

Pammy
20th-November-2003, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
maybe even share a McDonalds milkshake during week 4.

Don't know about milkshakes, it's your wine gums you need to watch, and remember, it's always OUR LAGER :wink:

Forte
20th-November-2003, 03:01 PM
Boomer, that story made me laugh out loud! Thanks!:hug:

Bardsey
20th-November-2003, 03:02 PM
meet up around 2 or 3 times a week and maybe even share a McDonalds milkshake during week 4. Week 6 would see you sharing the straw and its then acceptable to want to think about marriage and the possibility of rearing socially inept children. My arms are now waiting for you to fall into them :D

As long as that eh? I decided in the summer that I'd had enough of being alone so made a concerted effort and dated about 20 guys (just one date each). I couldn't believe how many talked about serious stuff like living together or marriage on that first date..... needless to say they didn't see me for dust! :rofl: I've now decided to let fate take its course, if its going to at all! PLEASE, PLEASE Fate, let him be a dancer!!!! :tears:

Divissima
20th-November-2003, 03:06 PM
The worst chat-up line ever used on me was at a ceroc venue shortly after I moved back to London and started working. The guy was a regular at my usual weekly venue. He was (and is) a very nice man and I usually had one or two very nice dances with him, and often a chat too, and on one occasion about his adult son (who was the same age as me).

Next week he used, more or less, these immortal words: "I know I'm old enough to be your father, but would you like to go out some time..."

I managed to turn him down politely and (I think) sensitively and still dance with him when I see him. It just seemed an odd way to predispose me to say yes.

As for worst chat up line I've ever used... don't really have one (I'm so terrible when it comes to even speaking to someone I have a crush on, much less trying to chat them up).

Dreadful Scathe
20th-November-2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Divissima

As for worst chat up line I've ever used... don't really have one (I'm so terrible when it comes to even speaking to someone I have a crush on, much less trying to chat them up).

Hmm well 'Help me, Toby wan Kenobe. You're my only hope' is more of a plead than a chat-up line really isnt it :D

My prefered chat-up line is 'I know im old enough to be a Nobel Peace Prize winner, and you know...morally i should be. So do you fancy a shag?'

which is of course a perfectly good dance style. reminds me of a joke from 'The Detectives'. ..er..stop me if youve heard it...

To some a shag is a type of bird, to pipesmokers its a type of tobacco, to others its a type of dance, to me its just a remote possibility

Well I thought it was funny :)...

Pammy
20th-November-2003, 03:27 PM
Well I thought it was funny :)...

I bet YOU did! :wink:

See you tomorrow/Saturday :hug:

Px

Stuart M
20th-November-2003, 03:35 PM
It's not quite a chat-up story, but it is true.

I was out with friends couple of months back in an Irish pub. Amongst them was a quiet lady I was fairly taken with, and she offered to get a round in. When she asked me what I wanted her to get, I said in all innocence (but rather loudly, having had a Guinness or 3), "Black Bush, please, and make it a neat one".

She didn't know her malts, but thankfully she did see the funny side...

stewart38
20th-November-2003, 04:14 PM
I did once say to a girl at a 'disco' 'do you come here often' she wasn't impressed. Funny thing her friend married my brother. No I never went out with her and haven't seen her for years and years

In ceroc a couple of girls have asked 'are you dancing here or there etc' I've dated a few over the yrs, so know thats a chat up line ? Unless of course they say 'good I know where you dance I can avoid you now' :confused:

I think its sad that in the last 11yrs I have never been single for more then 3 weeks :sick: so often don't need to practice any chat up line ?:sorry

Pammy
20th-November-2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by stewart38
I think its sad that in the last 11yrs I have never been single for more then 3 weeks :sick: so

Some would say sad, most would say lucky :grin: or is that show off :wink: unless you were taking the girls perspective :devil:; but then again, there's only room for one Andy McGregor on this forum :sick:

Bardsey
20th-November-2003, 04:19 PM

My prefered chat-up line is 'I know im old enough to be a Nobel Peace Prize winner, and you know...morally i should be. So do you fancy a shag?'

That was so funny! :rofl:

To some a shag is a type of bird, to pipesmokers its a type of tobacco, to others its a type of dance, to me its just a remote possibility

Well I thought it was funny :)... [/QUOTE]

:rofl: :rofl:

Daisy Chain
20th-November-2003, 06:36 PM
After a 3 minute dance with a man in a strange town one Monday at the beginning of November, he uttered just 2 words. "Marry me" I grinned happily for days over that one. I was very flattered.

:D

Whoever you were, thank you. It made my night and I'm still boasting about it. Errrrrr.................I hope that's not his regular chatup line :tears:

Divissima
20th-November-2003, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe:
Hmm well 'Help me, Toby wan Kenobe. You're my only hope' is more of a plead than a chat-up line really isnt it I did not have to chat him up, fortunately (cos I'm useless at it) although there is an amusing Bognor weekend story I posted on the London Forum about his pulling technique!

remember, it's always OUR LAGERI have this problem too - why do the men always finish our drinks just cos they've drunk theirs quicker???? Most infuriating.

Jive Brummie
20th-November-2003, 10:09 PM
In a land far, far away, many years ago, (P.FC. - that's pre-filthycute). I had occasion to find myself in a nightclub in Cheltenham:confused: .

While stood at the bar a young lady came bouncing up to me, slapped me on the ass and said "It's my birthday today and I've left my purse at home, will you buy me a drink?!"

Now being someone who's been described as "...being so tight fisted he only breathes in...." I thought, "the damned impertinence of the young harlet...." and proceeded to tell said female to "Hit the road Jack..." in a butch, macho, I don't need any woman type of way.

I later found out that it was her birthday and she had left her purse at home.............

I felt bad:sorry :sorry

p.s i didn't feel that bad though, I still didn't buy her a drink....ha ha ha!!!:wink:

Jon L
21st-November-2003, 12:20 AM
I did ask a young lady who I quite liked one evening

Would you like to go out for a meal or just stick to dancing.

I got the latter response -:tears:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The whole chat up thing is a problem. Sometimes we meet prople who are not attracted to us, and sometimes it's the other way round.

I think you can say "no thanks" to anyone so long as you accept someone else may say the same to you.

Boomer
21st-November-2003, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by Divissima

I have this problem too - why do the men always finish our drinks just cos they've drunk theirs quicker???? Most infuriating.

Ahem....Hipsters...3 weeks ago(ish)...backwash...ring a bell?

(ok it was a genuine mistake, but my beer still tasted like garlick :grin: )

Divissima
21st-November-2003, 09:26 AM
ah..:sorry er.... :sorry :tears:

yes, forgot about that one (conveniently :wink: )
As you say - a mistake :sick: Since Hipsters have started selling beer in cans instead of bottles, I've found it much harder to 'customise' my beer (used to rip bits off the label). Maybe I should bring a colourful ribbon to tie onto my beer (which would have a deterrent effect for most men, although not -sad to say - TwK).

Humble apols for garlic backwash incident :sick:

but you'll never touch my beer again :wink: :rofl: :hug:

Bardsey
21st-November-2003, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Jon L
I did ask a young lady who I quite liked one evening

Would you like to go out for a meal or just stick to dancing.

I got the latter response -:tears:

Asking someone out? I never get asked out at dancing! I've always assumed its because :-

a) cos everyone is concentrating so hard on the moves they don't see me, the woman

b) They are too out of breath after dancing with me that they can't talk

c) I'm only 7" tall and they can't see me
:tears:

Bill
21st-November-2003, 12:05 PM

c) I'm only 7" tall and they can't see me
:tears:

So why was our dances so good :confused: ...............I'm well over 7" ( erm........... that might sound wrong actually) and I managed.

Are you sure you think that 7" is tall enough ? You don't mention that to the men you dance with do you ??????

Can't rememebr any chat up lines I ever used - apart from asking a few girls home from the disco in my late teens and that would have been something very profound like....'can I take you home?'.

Most women I ever went out with I knew for a while first and so never had to chat them up - just as well as I'd be absolutely hopeless at it. Don't remember being chatted up either and probably wouldn't know if it was happening unless it was really blatant :sick: :innocent:

Bardsey
21st-November-2003, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Bill
So why was our dances so good :confused: ...............I'm well over 7" ( erm........... that might sound wrong actually) and I managed.

Hey, steady boy....giving away trade secrets there :rofl:

Are you sure you think that 7" is tall enough ? You don't mention that to the men you dance with do you ??????
[/QUOTE]

Perhaps I should try that, should be good for a laugh
:blush:

Lory
21st-November-2003, 12:16 PM
A few weeks ago at Hipsters, I was dancing with a guy, laughing and smiling at him, then suddenly he said 'Can I ask you a question?' 'Yes of course' I replied joyfully, 'Are they your own teeth? he asked :what:
It instantly wiped the smile straight off my face, I felt very self conscious 'erm why? I asked nervously:blush:
Oh no, its just they're really nice, I thought they must be false! he replied :what: :rolleyes:

-1/10 for effort!

:rofl:

Bardsey
21st-November-2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Lory
Oh no, its just they're really nice, I thought they must be false! he replied :what: :rolleyes:

-1/10 for effort!

:rofl:

Perhaps a swift kick in his (teeth, of course....lol) would have shown him the error of his ways :rofl: