PDA

View Full Version : TANGO - who's going where and was it amazing

ant
9th-January-2009, 01:47 AM
I thought it might be an idea for anybody going to a Tango event, to have a thread that they could post to, rather than using the Learning Tango thread that I tend to use presently.

I had in mind using it very much like the "who's going where" thread on the social events section but without the weekly breaks or maybe asking about an event or venue. Once you have been perhaps reporting back very much on the lines of the "was last night amazing for you" thread in the same section.

Possibally also using it for any weekenders people are thinking about attending and reporting back on them.

This should not preclude anybody from starting a thread for an individual event such as the LGTN monthly meets etc.

To get the ball rolling, I'm going to Negrachas tomorrow and La Mariposa on Sunday. I'm also going to Tango Mango for the weekend in February.

rubyred
9th-January-2009, 02:32 AM
What a great idea Ant :clap:and it give us the opportunity to see what's on in the rest of the country.

January events for me include Friday 16th to Sunday 18th Joaquin Amenabur at Tango Cheshire, Musicality workshop.

Tango Yorkshire at Batley, Women's Styling and Technique workshop on Sunday 18th.

At the end of Jan I will be going to Frederico's weekender in Bournmouth. Anyone else going to this on here?

I would ask if anyone has any tango weekender events in your area please post them on here as the tango gypsy in me wants to travel now!! Many thanks.

Trouble
9th-January-2009, 10:43 AM
Me and Scarface not going anywhere yet but wot a good idea for when we are able to dance enough to do a freestyle!!... well done Ant.

FIRST LESSON SATURDAY 17TH 9AM WITH MR DAVID BAILEY

oooooh so excited.

T xx

ant
9th-January-2009, 11:21 AM
....FIRST LESSON SATURDAY 17TH 9AM WITH MR DAVID BAILEY....

Good luck.

Trouble, 9:00 am start :doh:!!! Who's cracking the whip?

Trouble
9th-January-2009, 03:16 PM
Good luck.

Trouble, 9:00 am start :doh:!!! Who's cracking the whip?

Thats me cracking the whip Ant..... im good at that... esp in thigh high boots and mask. :na::lol::rolleyes:

ant
9th-January-2009, 04:21 PM
Thats me cracking the whip Ant..... im good at that... esp in thigh high boots and mask. :na::lol::rolleyes:

Getting ready for the Heaven and Hell Ball then......

...............as heaven :rofl:

Jay Jay
9th-January-2009, 04:27 PM
I thought it might be an idea for anybody going to a Tango event, to have a thread that they could post to, rather than using the Learning Tango thread.

Once you have been perhaps reporting back very much on the lines of the "was last night amazing for you" thread in the same section.

Possibally also using it for any weekenders people are thinking about attending and reporting back on them.

Brilliant idea........nice in both ways, to see what's on and to see what people thought about it the morning after the night before so to speak :wink:

To get the ball rolling, I'm going to Negrachas tomorrow and La Mariposa on Sunday. I'm also going to Tango Mango for the weekend in February.

You didn't mention The Factory...are you going?

ant
9th-January-2009, 04:42 PM
You didn't mention The Factory...are you going?

Post 2000 congratulations.

I will be at the Factory, I'm doing the lesson but then doing things with Caro.

My mate Malcolm is coming so maybe you will look after him for me please during the Practica. :flower:

BTW did you ever get in touch with that Tracy from Tango Nirvana. I spoke to her today about the Ladies Adornment DVD. Unfortunatley they are not ready yet but she will ring me when they are. She wants a fiver but I reckon if enough people want one I can probabally get that down by half.

To be honest when I started the thread I didn't mention lessons because I am not sure which section they should go in, this or Learning Tango. Anybody else got a view?

Jay Jay
9th-January-2009, 05:08 PM
Post 2000 congratulations.

I will be at the Factory, I'm doing the lesson but then doing things with Caro.

My mate Malcolm is coming so maybe you will look after him for me please during the Practica. :flower:

Lovely...see you there and no problem your Malcolm is safe with me :nice:

BTW did you ever get in touch with that Tracy from Tango Nirvana.

No absolutely went out of my head....will do it and get my name on the list :wink:

To be honest when I started the thread I didn't mention lessons because I am not sure which section they should go in, this or Learning Tango. Anybody else got a view?

IMHO I would include them on here, marked as a lesson.....it is better to have a place to just see what's on and who is going and a place for hints, tips and discussion etc on the Learning Tango thread as things can get lost on there due to so much discussion if you know what I mean :grin:

Jay Jay
9th-January-2009, 05:12 PM
Me and Scarface not going anywhere yet but wot a good idea for when we are able to dance enough to do a freestyle!!... well done Ant.

FIRST LESSON SATURDAY 17TH 9AM WITH MR DAVID BAILEY

oooooh so excited.

T xx

Hey well done you....I would say 'break a leg' but in this case I will just say 'go for it' :D

philsmove
9th-January-2009, 05:49 PM
I will be at The Mango 16-22 Feb
Rock Bottoms Tango weekend 7th - 9th May
and
will be going one or more Tango Fests in Devon

Kel_Warminster
9th-January-2009, 05:58 PM
Don't forget the monthly Tango De La Rosa Practicas in Bath Philsmove - next one is tonight! Plus the wonderful milongas that Jocelyn puts on at Pucklechurch, the Xmas one was fantastic. :)

ant
9th-January-2009, 06:22 PM
Lovely...see you there and no problem your Malcolm is safe with me :nice:

TBH thats what I am worried about.

Originally Posted by Jay Jay
No absolutely went out of my head....will do it and get my name on the list :wink:

No problem

Originally Posted by Philsmove
I will be at The Mango 16-22 Feb
Rock Bottoms Tango weekend 7th - 9th May

See you there then.

philsmove
9th-January-2009, 07:16 PM
Don't forget the monthly Tango De La Rosa Practicas in Bath Philsmove - next one is tonight! Plus the wonderful milongas that Jocelyn puts on at Pucklechurch, the Xmas one was fantastic. :)

OK a bit more detail

Mondays - Janet’s Practica Bristol
Tuesday - Tango De La Rosa Bristol
Wednesday - Tango De La Rosa Bath or Tango West Bristol
Thursday - Ed,s Bristol:clap:
Friday- Bath Practica or Salon Azul Bristol or Ed’s Practi-longa Bristol
Saturday - La Ventana or Abbots Leigh or Norwegian Church Cardiff or Milonga de la Rosa
Sunday - La Ventana or Halo or Bramshaw Tea Dance

ant
12th-January-2009, 07:53 PM
Went to La Mariposa on Sunday, that places just gets better and better. Two difficult lessons for their levels, one on a Vals step and the second on Secardas but everybody was so friendly we just all mucked in and helped each other out. About 60 people turned up including 10 MJers.

The Practica/Milonga afterwards was very enjoyable with a number of more experienced dancers coming later. I am noticing more people doing this. This sunday afternoon slot is very popular.

LilyB and FeelingPink I look forward to seeing you there. :yeah:

Feelingpink
12th-January-2009, 10:13 PM
Went to La Mariposa on Sunday ... LilyB and FeelingPink I look forward to seeing you there. :yeah:I look forward to it too ... just won't be this weekend. :hug:

ant
23rd-February-2009, 10:11 AM
Tango Mango, a report as promised.

It costs about £150 for six days or £90 for three days to include dorm accommation, lunch and dinner and all your dancing, except lessons.

Held at The Rudolph Steiner School near Dartington, Devon,directly off the road to Totnes. People present described the place as having good energy and other than a small amount of road noise to disturb the peace outside the building, I could see a yoga or meditation group being very happy there.

The dancing was a high standard. Out of maybe 100 people dancing each night 10 were event teachers, maybe another 10 were non event teachers and maybe another 10 were leading lights of local Tango groups. I have been dancing for about a year now and was one of the least experienced people there.

Groups came from Southampton, Cambridge, Oxford, Bristol and Norwich with a spread from other places, not many people from London. On the Saturday especially, people came from all along the South coast to attend some travelling over two hours each way.

Considering this was a dedicated Tango event the music was varied and enjoyable. For instance many of the Sunday afternoon tracks played I used to hear on the Blues Room decking at Southport, very easy listening and real chilled out dancing and there was an alternative classical set I thought very unusual but enjoyable. I especially liked the music from Oliver (one of the event teachers from Holland) and Mike Lavocah, who is considered a wiz with Tango music. He runs his own Tango music website www.Milonga.co.uk (http://www.Milonga.co.uk). Most of the teachers took a turn at DJing.

The dancing started at about 10:00 am each morning and finished at about midnight each evening. The dance floor was fast and generally not to crowded except for maybe on Saturday evening and the dancers were just as fanatical as the most ardent weekender MJer.

As part of the arrangement for lunch and dinner I had to help out in the kitchen once for about an hour . Almost everybody took up the same eating arrangement and it was a big social event. The dancing stopped for about an hour at each mealtime as the floor was quickly turned into a dining hall. The food was two courses, main and dessert and every meal was delicious.

At a cost of £6 per lesson I attended the beginners' lesson each morning for 10 people (no lessons on Sunday) a large group lesson, no more than 16 couples and at a cost of £9 one small group lesson for no more than six couples. This was the maximum number of group lessons you could attend each day. All the private lesson slots were fully booked so I could not get any. Book early, they cost £30 for an hour. All the lessons were well taught and worth attending and gave me alot of food for thought.

Many of the attendees have been coming since the event started about six years ago. I was one of the very few that was there for the first time. The people obviously held the organiser Ruth with great affection and in high regard and on a personal front I found her to be one of the best teachers I have come across. Over the week about 150 people attended.

My personal thought on the dorm accommadation was a slight compromise on the sleep and privacy front but a fantastic community spirit and much better than the local B+B or house share options. The only gripe people had was the lack of hot water for showers in the morning.

Great to see DianaS, who was one of my sleep neighbours and thank you for all the lovely dances. Sorry I could not find you Philsmove maybe next time. There were maybe five other MJers there as well.

I thoroughly enjoyed the event and would say this struck me as like being an old JA Southport on as much smaller scale and for Tango. I will almost certainly attend either or both of the July and August events. If you are thinking of going IMO you should give it a try, you will not be disappointed. The website link is www.tangoindevon.co.uk/tangomango.html (http://www.tangoindevon.co.uk/tangomango.html)

philsmove
23rd-February-2009, 10:27 AM
Tango Mango, a report as promised.

. Sorry I could not find you Philsmove maybe next time. There were maybe five other MJers there as well.[/SIZE][/FONT]

sorry to miss you too , If left on Saturday. I prefer the fist few days, when there is a bit more space on the floor
I think their were more like 30 people who had done MJ at some time or another, including a Ceroc franchisees from "up north"

Maybe see you at the next one:cheers:

rubyred
23rd-February-2009, 05:54 PM
I would have liked to have gone to this, perhaps next year??
The TLC Ball (Winchester) (http://tracieslatinclub.co.uk/Events.htm)

rubyred
23rd-February-2009, 05:57 PM
a Ceroc franchisees from "up north"

Maybe see you at the next one:cheers:

That's my friends Ann and Rob.:nice: I am going to the next mango in July so hope to finally finally get to get a dance Philsmoves, but I will probably come down for the latter end of the week.:flower:

Brighton Belle
23rd-February-2009, 06:23 PM
I think this may have been mentioned on here before but there are some all day Tango Boot Camp workshops coming up in Brighton. This weekend (1st Mar) there's a full day 'Improvers' workshop followed by a Cream Tea Milonga for all levels (loadsa calories!) and on 25/26th Apr there's a full weekend beginners 'Boot Camp' which is great for anyone just starting out. The teachers are Stefano Flava and Alexander Wood who I have always found to be excellent teachers.

There are various discounts and things available for combining with the regular DecaDances or future milongas in Hove or if you book more than one etc so they're very good value. Details:

http://www.decadancenights.co.uk/id12.html

On a separate note, all the MJ events I was planning on going to in Brighton last Friday were cancelled so I ended up going to Negracha without the LGTN group :eek:. I was a bit apprehensive but I had a great time and had a really good evening.

I met the lovely Ken and apparently I'm now bringing the cake for the LGTN cake club on the 6th March:grin:. Not exactly sure how I got into that one but no probs. I've got a great new recipe for American chocolate fudge cake that I've been meaning to try out (note to self - must remember serviettes, might be a bit sticky!). See you all there.

Tiggerbabe
23rd-February-2009, 06:29 PM
The teachers are Stefano Flava and Alexander Wood who I have always found to be excellent teachers.
Alexandra

:wink:

Brighton Belle
23rd-February-2009, 08:18 PM
Alexandra

:wink:

Whooops!! Sorry Alex :blush::blush: Humble apologies!!

rubyred
23rd-February-2009, 10:41 PM
I would have liked to have gone to this, perhaps next year??
The TLC Ball (Winchester) (http://tracieslatinclub.co.uk/Events.htm)

Here is the review of the above.
http://www.jivetango.co.uk/Reviews/TLCBall.html (http://www.jivetango.co.uk/Reviews/TLCBall.html)

Toasti
24th-February-2009, 07:33 PM
Thanks Ant,

This is a great idea for a thread. I'm not into Tango enough yet to have worked out where to find the event listings, and it's so much better to go somewhere where you know there will be MJers so you recognise some faces.

I'll join you at one of the events post BA and show you what I've learned :flower:

ant
24th-February-2009, 07:52 PM
I'll join you at one of the events post BA and show you what I've learned :flower:

:yeah:Thanks and I will look forward to it.
Have a great time in BA.

inky66
28th-February-2009, 01:48 AM
I live 5 minutes walk from La Mariposa so have started going there. Was a bit nervous about going after hearing general horror stories about tango snootiness at milongas, but I haven't seen any evidence of this. Everyone at Mariposa was really friendly and there was such a good vibe every time I've been.

Has anyone been to Tango at the Welsh in Kings X? Went there tonight and although it was quiet it was really good - very friendly and chilled (plus yummy free food!) and they have taxi dancer types. Totally recommend it.

ant
28th-February-2009, 03:08 AM
I live 5 minutes walk from La Mariposa so have started going there.

Hi inky66

I am going to La Mariposa this Sunday it would be nice to have a dance.

I don't know if you are aware but a number of Tango dancers on this forum meet will be meeting at Negracha next Friday. There is normally a crowd of 30-40 of us and it is usually a very enjoyable evening. It would be nice to see you there.

If we manage to meet at La Mariposa I can give you further details or ask Ken or Kymme when you are there as well, as they organise the meet.

inky66
28th-February-2009, 12:07 PM
Thanks Ant. I don't use this forum much so don't know who anyone is! Will see if I can figure it out on Sunday :)
Negrachas = scary from what I've heard? I've only been tango-ing a couple of months so not sure if I'm ready for that! Sounds a bit daunting for a tango newbie, is it?

ant
28th-February-2009, 12:38 PM
Negrachas = scary from what I've heard? I've only been tango-ing a couple of months so not sure if I'm ready for that! Sounds a bit daunting for a tango newbie, is it?

Thats one of the reasons the monthly meet has been arranged. It helps us get over that problem.

Downstairs where we meet is not nearly as scary as upstairs, its all nuevo and far less formal in terms of line of dance etc. Try and come along you will be among friends.

mshedgehog
28th-February-2009, 01:20 PM
The monthly thing at Negracha is very nice.

But I don't think you need to worry about not knowing anyone at any London milonga: if you can turn up early and take the class then the problem disappears. That's what I used to do when I didn't know anyone, and it means that you then do know people, and it's easy to get dances later. I almost always go to Carablanca (http://www.carablanca.co.uk/) - 5 minutes walk from Holborn, and you can just have a nice evening without having to make special arrangements, because it's a nice place.

I haven't been to the new one at the Welsh, but they say they have 'taxi dancers'. I also haven't been to the one at that place at Trafalgar Square, I've forgotten its name. What I mean is - there's no real need to go to the most difficult place, unless you really dislike the traditional music. If that's the case, and nuevo music really is a priority for you, then you're pretty much stuck with downstairs at Negracha on a Friday. If not, there's a choice of easier places.

inky66
1st-March-2009, 11:36 AM
Thanks Ant and see you today!

inky66
2nd-March-2009, 10:01 AM
La Mariposa was wicked yesterday, best one (for me, anyway) yet. But Ant - no dances?!

ant
2nd-March-2009, 11:10 AM
La Mariposa was wicked yesterday, best one (for me, anyway) yet. But Ant - no dances?!

Sorry, last minute change of plans. I had to leave early to take a friend to the airport. :flower:

We did dance in the class though and when the Practica started neither Ken nor I could find you.

Come on Friday to Negracha I will be there all night.

inky66
2nd-March-2009, 06:02 PM
Sorry, last minute change of plans. I had to leave early to take a friend to the airport. :flower:

We did dance in the class though and when the Practica started neither Ken nor I could find you.

Come on Friday to Negracha I will be there all night.

I snuck off for a quick ciggie.
But then didn't stop dancing!

Hope you had fun at the airport. I'll try and make Negracha this week, although may have to come next month instead.

Ix

Andy Razzle
4th-March-2009, 02:02 PM
Sunday 22 march Newcastle Maria Mondio & Ishmael Ludman workshops
Sunday 29 march Leeds Eleonara & Martin Cole workshops Leeds (norther tango society)
April 16-24th Leeds & newcastle? Gato Valdez & Andrea Monti (northern Tango society
Saturda 13th June newcastle Pablo Nieves & Valencia Zunio

Check Vincent and flavias website for a list of where and what they are doing (note middlesbrough july 18th event is 2 tango workshops & 2 latin workshops, night doo is ballroom dancing with a performance, Im still awiting further info on pricing for just doing 2 tango workshops myself

Andy

ant
16th-March-2009, 11:41 AM
There will be a Cambridge Tango Festival over the May Day Bank Holiday weekend.

It will include workshops, Practicas and an all night Milonga.

Details can be found on

http://www.cambridgetango.com/site/cambridge/fest.shtml

Jay Jay
21st-March-2009, 07:47 PM
Went to an intimate Tango gathering last night, there were only eight of us, thoughts of 'have I done the right thing' were crossing my mind thinking of a normal freestyle evening that I had given up for it, but I have to say it turned out to be a really nice evening.

I did actually get an awful lot out of it and felt that I had improved quite a bit in the four hours quite intense dancing that we did. My confidence grew and I have to thank David Bailey, Ken and Ghost for patience and a lovely evening.

philsmove
31st-March-2009, 09:46 AM
So more dates for 2009

Tangkademy ( Bramshaw) 23 -25 October (I have already booked my space)

Tango Mango
July 17th - 26th
August 14th - 23rd
October 27th - Nov 1st ( I will be going for the first 4 days )

Quite afew of my party have dropped out of RB Torquay 8th to 11th May 2009

PM me if you would like one

under par
1st-April-2009, 07:50 PM
I think this may have been mentioned on here before but there are some all day Tango Boot Camp workshops coming up in Brighton. ..............on 25/26th Apr there's a full weekend beginners 'Boot Camp' which is great for anyone just starting out. The teachers are Stefano Flava and Alexander Wood who I have always found to be excellent teachers.

See you all there.

I have just booked in for this and really looking forward to it...Stefano and Alex were great last weekend.

Its nice being a beginnner again

Being local in Hove is really helpful for us too.

rubyred
2nd-April-2009, 12:16 AM
Quite afew of my party have dropped out of RB Torquay 8th to 11th May 2009

I have had to change my plans and will not now be attending this event :tears::tears:

Jay Jay
2nd-April-2009, 01:19 PM
Cake made, ready and waiting....

Fri - Negracha - Holborn :grin:

rubyred
6th-April-2009, 10:40 PM
Here is my review about the Tango on the Nile Cruise

Review: Tango On The Nile (http://www.facebook.com/ext/share.php?sid=62874598193&h=M2scn&u=1kkmi)

:flower:

jivecat
6th-April-2009, 10:51 PM
I went to the Blaby (Leicester) milonga on Saturday and had a great time. This monthly event was established about a year ago and has gradually built up momentum since then. On Saturday I counted 30 couples in the lesson with more people arriving afterwards and it now seems like it is going from strength to strength.

It's held in the little hall of the Blaby Sports and Social Club, about 7 minutes easy drive from J21 of the M1, with plenty of free parking. The venue has a nice wooden parquet floor and a pleasant "village hall" atmosphere. Soft drinks and nibbles are provided in the price- £5 for the milonga, £6 if you do the class as well. The lesson runs from 8 till 9, thereafter social dancing until 11:30.

There's usually an hour's lesson beforehand taught by Su and Ricardo of Tango Warwick -on Saturday they stuck to the basics of walking, the cross, and an embellishment of the cross, delivered in a clear and sympathetic way, definitely worthwhile.

The music is mainly authentic Argentinian with brief slots of nuevotango and non-tango tangoable music. There are no cortinas, making for an informal atmosphere, though lots of people were painstakingly counting to three in a rather self-consciously correct manner.

There are always cinematic images projected onto the wall from a laptop to create atmosphere. This can be a bit distracting, though it provides something to do if there are any planchadora moments - not that there were on Saturday, the gender balance was spot-on.

It was particularly intriguing to see a lot of new faces as well as all my well-loved local tangueros. It looks like this event could become a hub for dancers from all over the Midlands - people had come from Nottingham, Northants and the West Midlands, as well as some vistors and holidaymakers from further afield. I was glad to see that the event was being supported by a wide range of people.

In case MJers got lonely there were familiar faces in the shape of Marc Forster and Rachel Pears (fab tangueros, both) DJ Rob Ambridge and several other crossover peeps.

There will be no milonga in May due to hall use but there is an event planned for June and subsequent months, always on a Saturday.

jivecat
7th-April-2009, 05:36 PM
There will be no milonga in May due to hall use but there is an event planned for June and subsequent months, always on a Saturday.

Sorry, wrong about this, there is a milonga on May 23rd, but no lesson.

There is also one on June 20th.

Andy Razzle
15th-April-2009, 01:04 PM
additional event of note - sunday 21st june Leeds (skegness on this weekend! Im having to do private lessons on the monday) workshops with carlos paredes and diana 2006 showcase world champions, probably the best tango dancers Ive seen. They are also available for private lessons sunday and monday.

Note Ishmael and maria mondio mentioned earlier were excellent dancers and instructors definately worth doing workshops with if you get the chance (reminded me of carlos and diana in style). maria mondio has her own website so you can see were they are.

rubyred
15th-April-2009, 09:03 PM
additional event of note - sunday 21st june Leeds (skegness on this weekend! Im having to do private lessons on the monday) workshops with carlos paredes and diana 2006 showcase world champions, probably the best tango dancers Ive seen. They are also available for private lessons sunday and monday.

hello Andy Razzle I am interested in this do you have a link to the web site please :flower:

rubyred
15th-April-2009, 09:13 PM
Easter Tango Review

Introduction
This was a non-residential weekender event held by Thames Valley Tango in Baldwin Court, Eton over the Easter Weekend from the 10-12 April.
If booked early enough two full days of Workshops, Practicas and 2 Milongas cost £59 or £65, if you included the third Milonga.
The teachers were Jenny Frances and Ricardo Orio.

The venue
Baldwin Court is a single storey hall, which belies its internal character. Once though the doors you are faced with a nice size hall, with a nice floor and a vaulted black and white ceiling with wooden beams giving the impression of an old style banqueting hall.
Charles and Sarah had obviously put in a great deal of effort to dress the hall by hanging pictures, lights and drapes and putting tablecloths and flowers on all the tables.
They stocked a separate kitchen with plenty of teas, coffee and biscuits. During the evening they put out small Easter eggs, crisps and bottled water on the tables.
A nice surprise was to find that a private car park had been arranged free of charge, close to the venue.

The program
The Milongas were held each evening from 7:30 pm until 11:00pm (11:30pm on Saturday)
There were two 1 1/2 hour workshops each day on Saturday and Sunday starting at 11:00am and 3:00pm.
Music played in the hall all day from 10:00am, and was available to continue Practica at all other times.
Private lessons and massages were available, and could be booked during non workshop times

The workshops
The Workshops on the Saturday were very much technique based. They concentrated on lead and follow, pushing off from the back foot, some work on Giros and walking backward techniques. Some time was spent in showing how to make some contrasts in the dance by the use of changes in the length of strides. Some time was then devoted to a clockwise turn within stride, which brought you out to face the line of dance, and continuing the stride.
The workshops on Sunday devoted some time to the embrace, and the purpose of the arms and their use in containment and connectivity. The balance point in the stride of the follower was then explored, where the leader could easily move the followers moving foot backwards or forwards, from a chest lead. Jenny and Ricardo devoted some time to this as they felt it was not until this balance point is understood that Volcadas can be properly executed. The class then progressed to a mini 'in axis' Volcada performed whilst in stride, and then to a larger 'in axis' Volcada that required some preparation.
At the end they spent some time on floor craft exercises in order to improve the floor craft skills required on the dance floor during a Milonga.
Another feature of the teaching was the amount of time devoted to technical points for followers, which was much appreciated.

The Milongas
The music each evening was provided by Charles, and was almost exclusively traditional Tango, Milonga and Vals in Tandas, with only the last Tanda of each evening being Nuevo or alternative tango music.
All three Milongas were well attended. However the Saturday night Milonga was special, with a good vibe. People including a number of teaching couples arrived from all over the South East, and helped to produce an electric atmosphere, which encouraged a great night of high quality dancing. Although the floor was very busy, it did not stop an enjoyable dancing experience. It seems the floor craft skills passed the Jenny and Ricardo test. This has been a hot topic on the forum recently! We were informed the next day that this part of the workshop program had been relegated to the end of the workshop and with a shorter amount of time devoted to it.

The Attendees

I would estimate that there were 30 couples for the workshops, and this expanded for the Milongas by about another 40 people on Saturday and maybe 20 people on Friday and Sunday.

Even though the workshops were billed as intermediate standard, due to the Jenny and Ricardo factor very good, experienced dancers of many years standing still attended and fully participated in the workshops. For instance Captain Jack has been dancing for 8 years, and his dance partner for about the same amount of time.

Conclusion

A thoroughly enjoyable weekend with well planned, and well executed workshops and Milongas providing good music and a most enjoyable dancing experience. Being able to walk around Eton and Windsor by the river helped to give a special quality to the break times. I had no gripes and I don't think anybody else did either. Roll on the next one.

Links

http://mshedgehog.blogspot.com (http://mshedgehog.blogspot.com/) for her review
http://thamesvalleytango.co.uk (http://thamesvalleytango.co.uk/) the organizers website

rubyred
15th-April-2009, 11:11 PM
My apologies to Ant I should have signed the above review from Ant and myself, it was a joint effort.:hug:

mshedgehog
16th-April-2009, 12:07 AM
Links
http://mshedgehog.blogspot.com (http://mshedgehog.blogspot.com/) for her review
http://thamesvalleytango.co.uk (http://thamesvalleytango.co.uk/) the organizers website

I've posted 2 more posts since then so the review is no longer at the top of the page: the direct link is http://mshedgehog.blogspot.com/2009/04/easter-thames-valley-tango.html

Jay Jay
21st-April-2009, 01:53 AM
Any suggestions for this Friday, not a lot doing in the Ceroc world and fancy getting a little Tango practice in instead :D

Feelingpink
21st-April-2009, 07:17 AM
Any suggestions for this Friday, not a lot doing in the Ceroc world and fancy getting a little Tango practice in instead :DApart from Negracha? :nice:

Jay Jay
21st-April-2009, 08:45 AM
Apart from Negracha? :nice:

Oh yes, :doh: I tend to just think of Negracha for the nights of the LGTN meet ups. Have never attempted to go without the safety net of my MJ'ers :D

Might consider it, thank you.

tanjive
22nd-April-2009, 06:27 PM
Some of the London tango people might be interested in this.
The idea of explaining different orchestras sounds great.
SUNDAY 26th April
TANGOLOGY

5:30-6:30pm:
BODY PREPARATION & TANGO TECHNIQUE
by Eleonora Simoes
All levels, from beginners to advanced.
6:30 - 8:00pm:
SPECIAL LESSON "Dancing to different orchestras"
TANGOLOGY @ WILD COURT
4 Wild Court, London WC2B 4AUIf I was not doing the Super Tangk in the New Forest, I might even have been tempted to come to town.

I will see some of you at LGTN in June. Great live orchestra that night.

If you go please provide a review.

Andy Razzle
28th-April-2009, 12:57 PM
hello Andy Razzle I am interested in this do you have a link to the web site please :flower:
web site is.. tangoyorkshire - apparently I cant post a URL yet

philsmove
28th-April-2009, 01:35 PM
Susie (from Dorchester Tango) and my self have booked to go to Tangkademy Saturday 24 - Sunday 25 October 2009

Susie has booked an apartment at the Green Dragon (http://www.greendragonbedbreakfast.co.uk/), about a mile-and-a-half from Bramshaw V.H. It can sleep four and Susie and I will take the two singles (well, one is a sitting room but we'd hardly have time to use it as a SR!). We are looking for a couple, they could have a twin room (the beds can be zipped together to become a huge double if they prefer). The apartment has a large bathroom with bath and a kitchenette (where we can have the pub-provided Continental breakfast). If we want cooked breakie then we go downstairs to the bar area apparently. There is a separate entrance to the apartment, so we do not have to go in via the pub. It costs £100 per night. (£25 each per night)

under par
29th-April-2009, 11:32 AM
I went to Tango Bootcamp for beginners in Hove on Sat and Sun.

It was absolutely fantastic.:clap: I got so much out of it.

more to follow when I have got more time.

Teachers Alex and Stefano are amazing.....really made it understandable and achievable for me. :respect:

rubyred
9th-May-2009, 11:33 PM
web site is.. tangoyorkshire - apparently I cant post a URL yet
Thank you for this Andy Razzle, my friend is trying to book us onto the workshops and tea dance on the Sunday. I may go to the milonga at Batley on the Saturday. Not sure if we have met as yet, but please say hello if our paths cross, I do come over to Yorkshire to dance.
Have a nice time at Skegness. :flower:

bigdjiver
10th-May-2009, 06:15 PM
I have no idea how much Tango it will be, but I'm planning on going to ceroc centrals:

Buckingham - Monthly themed party nights with a fun intermediate class & free teas & coffees every 2nd Monday of the month! First party night will be on Monday 11th May & this month's theme will be a "Taste of Tango".

http://www.ceroccentral.com/?page=3228

rubyred
11th-May-2009, 12:35 AM
Tango in Liverpool

I have just got back from Tango In Liverpool, which is launching itself after receiving monies from the Awards for All Big Lottery fund. It is all very new and exciting. They have been running classes for a while and such is their lack of advertising due to lack of funds I have really only just become aware of its existence. Hopefully they will be able to get on a web site properly and start advertising out there.

The venue is the El Rincon in Roscoe Street Liverpool, run by All Things Latin, who are Francisco from Chile and Freddy from Costa Rica. Both are very friendly and have a great sense of humour. They are musicians and have danced tango, salsa and all things Latin all their lives. Although they do not run Tango Liverpool, Francisco said they are willing to help all they can. Drinks are usual club prices and they serve coffee. The floor has been newly laid and is wooden, prior to this there was a stone floor, which was not popular for obvious reasons.

The venue is well established for its hosting of salsa events, Latin American bands and as it says on the packet, all things Latin. The room where the dancing takes place has a recently installed wooden floor, which would easily accommodate 40 to 50 dancers.There is a little stage area, and there was a band tonight, one singer and a bandeneon player, from Argentina.

The classes are to be held on Monday evenings beginners 6pm to 7 pm for beginners and then a practica from 7pm to 8pm, very much at the beginner level but once a month they are planning to host some top teachers and on the 28th June they will have Diane Rivero and Carlos Paredes.

I hope it takes off, it was really lovely to see the beginnings of what could be something good.

jivecat
11th-May-2009, 11:14 AM
Is anyone going to the Tango Spa weekend in Coventry next weekend? Jenny and Ricardo are teaching, and they have milongas on Fri, Sat evenings and Sun afternoon.

I think I might go to all three milongas as it's not too far to drive for me.

Andy Razzle
11th-May-2009, 12:58 PM
Thank you for this Andy Razzle, my friend is trying to book us onto the workshops and tea dance on the Sunday. I may go to the milonga at Batley on the Saturday. Not sure if we have met as yet, but please say hello if our paths cross, I do come over to Yorkshire to dance.
Have a nice time at Skegness. :flower:

Thanks, well its definately worth it, for me its not to be missed.
Not sure if we have although in last few years Ive done most of the main events in ceroc and jive as well as blackpool last year (tend not to go in blues room, so I dance with few of the blues addicts)
I do usually go to pudsey leeds for the saturdays as my furthest trip, you can generally recognise me with the white trainers v.short hair cut and glasses.
Enjoy the workshops :flower:

tanjive
11th-May-2009, 06:15 PM
Did anyone go to the AT Rockbottoms event?

Any comments, jive with AT on the side OR AT with jive on the side.

philsmove
11th-May-2009, 07:18 PM

During the day most of the classes were Tango. Amir and Tara, Flavio & Richard, did an excellent job of teaching large classes, with very mixed abilities

In the evening, apart from a fabulous half hour between 12.30 and 1 am, with Amir or Flavio on the decks, the main dance floor was only Jive

The “secret disco” did play some tango but it was a small floor and crowded with the music, from a Tango pint of view, a bit of a curate's egg,

I enjoyed the weekend, the high light, for me being Amir’s hilarious breakfast Ballet class

I have already booked for next year

For me, the down side was, a lack of Practica time and space

bigdjiver
11th-May-2009, 07:20 PM
I have no idea how much Tango it will be, but I'm planning on going to ceroc centrals:

Buckingham - Monthly themed party nights with a fun intermediate class & free teas & coffees every 2nd Monday of the month! First party night will be on Monday 11th May & this month's theme will be a "Taste of Tango".

http://www.ceroccentral.com/?page=3228:tears: I don't get to go.

and :tears: :sad: :banghead: for reasons why.

Sugarfoot
12th-May-2009, 04:51 PM

I spent most of yesterday sleeping and recovering from another fantastic Rockbottoms weekender. This was Rockbottoms first attempt at offering a mixed weekend of Tango & Jive. As always, there is a risk with trying something different. Judging by the feedback from everyone we spoke to it was a huge success.

Classes
The mixture of teachers worked well. Although there were 3 sets of Tango teachers they all gave a different approach that complemented each other. Amir and (Tara from Paris) had just returned from several months in Bones Aries with lots to share from his experiences. Flavio & Richard are very different with there show style aerials etc. Mandy & I concentrated on the basic principles of Tango and using simple moves as a means of navigating around the floor. The Jive classes were very well catered for by Keith & Beverley and Mick & Joe. Both sets of teachers are very talented and different in style.

Cabarets
The cabarets were excellent as always with a great mixture of style, fun, and the spectacular.

Freestyles
Unlike the WCS & Jive event this time the Tango was kept in the downstairs room with the odd 30min in the main room. This made for a very busy milonga, but worked ok once the numbers died down later. The Jive floor stayed busy all night in the main room. Rockbottoms used to change the music the more of a blues scene after about 2pm, this does not happen anymore and I miss that.

Music
The music seemed to satisfy everyone’s needs. Although I do get a bit miffed when I keep hearing the same track repeated several times (even on the same night). With so much music available this is not necessary.

Social
This event has to be one of the most social events with shared meals and excellent seating to chill out and get to know people better. It was good to see a few forumites there. If you are having a meal with CJ & Under par, it is recommended you bring wetsuits. :eek:

A big well done to the Rockbottoms team :clap:

Kel_Warminster
12th-May-2009, 07:06 PM
I spent most of yesterday sleeping and recovering from another fantastic Rockbottoms weekender. This was Rockbottoms first attempt at offering a mixed weekend of Tango & Jive. As always, there is a risk with trying something different. Judging by the feedback from everyone we spoke to it was a huge success.

Classes
The mixture of teachers worked well. Although there were 3 sets of Tango teachers they all gave a different approach that complemented each other. Amir and (Tara from Paris) had just returned from several months in Bones Aries with lots to share from his experiences. Flavio & Richard are very different with there show style aerials etc. Mandy & I concentrated on the basic principles of Tango and using simple moves as a means of navigating around the floor. The Jive classes were very well catered for by Keith & Beverley and Mick & Joe. Both sets of teachers are very talented and different in style.

Cabarets
The cabarets were excellent as always with a great mixture of style, fun, and the spectacular.

Freestyles
Unlike the WCS & Jive event this time the Tango was kept in the downstairs room with the odd 30min in the main room. This made for a very busy milonga, but worked ok once the numbers died down later. The Jive floor stayed busy all night in the main room. Rockbottoms used to change the music the more of a blues scene after about 2pm, this does not happen anymore and I miss that.

Music
The music seemed to satisfy everyone’s needs. Although I do get a bit miffed when I keep hearing the same track repeated several times (even on the same night). With so much music available this is not necessary.

Social
This event has to be one of the most social events with shared meals and excellent seating to chill out and get to know people better. It was good to see a few forumites there. If you are having a meal with CJ & Under par, it is recommended you bring wetsuits. :eek:

A big well done to the Rockbottoms team :clap:

:yeah:

I had my virgin Bottom well and truly Rocked....what a fantastic weekend it was! Dancers, music, atmosphere, classes were truly a cut above, I made so many new friends and was well taken care of by Hev and her team.

The blues on Friday night/Sat morning were some of the best I have danced - CJ your set was superb! :D

Special thanks to those peeps who took care of me when I flaked out at breakfast on Monday, after an upset stomach meant dehydration from Sunday night :)

Roll on November - I just hope I can get in!

Brighton Belle
14th-May-2009, 09:51 AM
Re Negracha 5th June

I think most people affected probably know about this already but just in case.

Our next 'Lets Go to Negracha's' meet on 5th Jun co-incides with the club's Summer Weekend so they have a live band and dance displays that night. Entrance fee though is higher than usual. £25 or £15 depending on when you come in. (£2 discount if you're a member of the Facebook group).

See details on their website

http://www.negrachatangoclub.com/

I think most people are still going but getting there after 9.30 (hence £13).

See you there!:cheers:

philsmove
14th-May-2009, 02:36 PM
Hope to go to Beach bottoms, Amir is teaching Tango

and Tango Mango 26th -29 October 2009

I already have booked for Rockbottoms Tango weekend (7th to 10th May 2010)

jivecat
18th-May-2009, 10:21 AM
Tango Spa, Coventry

This 3 day event proved very successful and has built on last year's achievments. All three evening events were well-attended with many people travelling some distance and staying over in Coventry for the complete event. So it was nice to see many new faces among the crowd.

Each milonga featured lovely display dances, from Ricardo and Su, (the organisers) Jenny and Ricardo, and from DJ Rui and his partner who showed us a more fluid and innovative nuevo tango style, which I very much enjoyed.

I attended one intermediate workshop with Jenny and Ricardo, and got a lot out of it. Basic technique for pivots, (or peevots, in Ricardo-speak) with strong emphasis on correct foot and leg movements and disassociation, followed by two simple ways of leading the lady into a boleo. Perfect. Very simple but very relevant.
All delivered in J&R's clear, sympathetic and engaging teaching style. Ricardo has got a fab sense of humour as well as rubber legs!

The venues were very mixed - Friday's and Sunday's events were held in very run-down local social clubs, of which Cov seems to have a great number to offer. Sometimes the meeting of large-screen sports viewing, fish and chips, smelly toilets and scuffed 70's decor with a bunch of airy-fairy, cerebral tango obsessives in harem pants and Comme il Fauts created excessive dissonance. Sometimes it just seemed like we were paying tribute to the working-class roots of Argentinian tango!

The Saturday night venue was very clean and fresh, although possibly lacking in atmosphere for that very reason. For me, a smaller, more intimate venue works better than a large room where the dancers seem to be rattling around in a large space. The village halls used as the milonga venues for last year seemed to suit the feel of AT better, had ample parking and were easy to find. Many people drove round Coventry searching for the venues; this could have been avoided by giving out clear written instructions to supplement map references.

Highlights of the weekend for me were asking men to dance - ones I had not been introduced to- (shock, horror, think of your reputation, my dear) and not getting turned down!:clap: Especially DJ Rui, who I tentatively asked, and who gave me several fantastically musical, witty and entertaining dances despite him being tired and sweaty from all the other ladies who were importuning him.

under par
19th-May-2009, 01:36 AM
I already have booked for Rockbottoms Tango weekend (7th to 10th May 2010)

Me too!

Astro
19th-May-2009, 04:49 PM
There is an open air (under a canopy) Tango event on at Amphitheatre Canopy, Bishop's Square, Brushfield Street, Spitalfields E1 6AA (circular area outside Pattisserie Valerie)

Thursday 26th May.

7pm to 10pm (Taster class 6.30)

FREE

But it is a hard floor, says to wear dance trainers or old shoes.

Andy Razzle
26th-May-2009, 12:45 PM
Neri and Yannina argentine tango world champs, currently teching in newcastle, yesterday had 3 private lessons and informal practica on friday, they are excellent, loads of little tricks and styling. They will have workshops this weekend in newcastle and are also available for private lessons (cost me £40/hour for both of them which is less than most charge) and will also perform at milonga saturday night. See newcastle tango website for more info.

under par
27th-May-2009, 05:28 AM
Went to La Mariposa on Sunday, that places just gets better and better. The Practica/Milonga afterwards was very enjoyable with a number of more experienced dancers coming later. I am noticing more people doing this. This sunday afternoon slot is very popular.

LilyB and FeelingPink I look forward to seeing you there. :yeah:

Mrs Par and I went this last Sunday. Took the train as we wanted to avoid bank holiday traffic, as the venue is opposite Clapham Junction station it was a great result.

Lessons were challenging but we were both accepterd and involved from the very beginning.

The practica and milonga was very informal and really enjoyable.

Allan and Ros really go out of their way to make it a pleasant experience for all but especially beginners.

We both had a very positive experience and will certainly be paying them a lot more visits in the future, it was a very comfotrable enviroment to be a beginner in.

Oh and the music was just ..... just... so! :respect:

Look forward to seeing some of you there.

Feelingpink
27th-May-2009, 07:33 AM
...We both had a very positive experience and will certainly be paying them a lot more visits in the future, it was a very comfotrable enviroment to be a beginner in.

Oh and the music was just ..... just... so! :respect:

Look forward to seeing some of you there.So pleased to hear you liked the music, atmosphere and will be visiting again ... and looking forward to seeing you both soon xx

ant
3rd-June-2009, 01:10 PM
There are opportunities for outside dancing this Summer that I am aware of as follows:

At Sptialfields on the last Thursday of each month see http://www.spitalfields.co.uk/dspevent.php?name=TANGO%40SPITALFIELDS

On Eton Bridge Saturday 4 July** and 1 August see www.thamesvalleytango.co.uk/events.htm (http://www.thamesvalleytango.co.uk/events.htm)

Tango AlFresco in Regents Park on Sunday 12 July and 9 August**, see www.tangoalfresco.com (http://www.tangoalfresco.com)

and River Tango Festival on weekend of 12 and 13 September, see www.rivertango.co.uk (http://www.rivertango.co.uk)

** These dates link in with the relevant LGTN meet for that month.

There may also be outside dancing on The South Bank but I have not been given any details yet. Does anybody else have these details?

rubyred
3rd-March-2010, 10:56 PM
Does anyone know of any tango events going on in Scotland over the Easter weekend please?

thank you :flower:

Kazibaby
4th-March-2010, 08:48 PM
Does anyone know of any tango events going on in Scotland over the Easter weekend please?

thank you :flower:

Hi hon, there is a small one on in the Counting House in Edinburgh on the Sunday night x