PDA

View Full Version : Who is going to win the Rubgy World Cup?

Will
18th-November-2003, 01:48 AM
As the worlds 2 biggest Cerocing nations are head-to-head in the Rugby World Cup final to be played this Saturday, I'd like to start a poll asking forumites who they think will win this Saturday.

It would be respected (Ali G styleé) if voters would be brave enough to follow-up their votes with a post identifying who will win, so as to put there reputations as sporting pundits on the line.

I predict that England will win.

Will

ChrisA
18th-November-2003, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by Will
I predict that England will win.

Unless the Aussies somehow nobble Johnny Wilkinson...

I can't believe he scored _all_ England's points on Sunday...

Chris, not a rugby fan, but getting sucked in.

Boomer
18th-November-2003, 02:18 AM
How can any nation that considers ‘Fosters’ to be an alcoholic beverage possible win the cup? :grin:

England all the way.

Chris
18th-November-2003, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by Boomer
How can any nation that considers ‘Fosters’ to be an alcoholic beverage possible win the cup? :grin:

England all the way.

Some of us in Scotland apparently consider Tennants to be an alcoholic beverage (and it's far far worse than Fosters!) Both are ok for cooking with.:devil: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Gary
18th-November-2003, 03:21 AM
Gotta go for the Aussies, sorry. Lots of folks thought we didn't have a chance against NZ. Wrong.

Divissima
18th-November-2003, 09:04 AM
Did you dance in the opening ceremony, Gary?

TheTramp
18th-November-2003, 01:05 PM
Oh. C'mon....

70 views of this thread so far, and no-one has taken the proverbial out of Will for his typo in the heading???? I mean, what the hell is Rubgy anyhow??

(I was going to earlier, but I thought I'd let someone else have a go! :D )

What is the world coming too?

Steve

Boomer
18th-November-2003, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
Oh. C'mon....

70 views of this thread so far, and no-one has taken the proverbial out of Will for his typo in the heading???? I mean, what the hell is Rubgy anyhow??

:rofl: How'd I miss that! :grin: Mind you, some of us had been up for 28 hours, so I offer 'fatigue' as my reason. :grin:

Well done TT.

Tiggerbabe
18th-November-2003, 01:24 PM
Well done TT.
Right Boomer - need to sort you out here :wink: TT is Twinkle Toes - and she's a girl, and looks nothing like Steve.
Steve is Steve, or The Tramp or Trampy or whatever - but he's not TT :cheers:

ChrisA
18th-November-2003, 01:34 PM
Oh. C'mon....

Sorry, Steve, didn't realise you were so bored today... did you want to argue about the H thread some more??

:D :D :D :D :devil: :waycool: :innocent:

TheTramp
18th-November-2003, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Sheena
Right Boomer - need to sort you out here :wink: TT is Twinkle Toes - and she's a girl, and looks nothing like Steve.
Steve is Steve, or The Tramp or Trampy or whatever - but he's not TT :cheers: Hmmm. Maybe I should start a corporate takeover of the TT name. I could then split it into smaller companies (T) and (T). And then sell it off, making a huge profit in the meantime.

What do you think?

Steve

TheTramp
18th-November-2003, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by ChrisA
Sorry, Steve, didn't realise you were so bored today... did you want to argue about the H thread some more??

:D :D :D :D :devil: :waycool: :innocent: We weren't arguing. We were discussing :D

But yes, I am bored. After 3 days of Camber, getting back to the normal lifestyle isn't the same :(

Steve

ChrisA
18th-November-2003, 01:42 PM
We weren't arguing. We were discussing :D

But yes, I am bored. After 3 days of Camber, getting back to the normal lifestyle isn't the same :(

Steve
I know the feeling... it was like that for me with the post Rock Bottoms blues, despite the fact that I went dancing for 8 out of the 9 following days (and practically killed myself in the process :D)

In fact I think one of the reasons the H thread saw _so_ much activity was that quite a few of the RB crowd were also at H, and the venue and the thread combined to prolong the vibe a bit, as ISTR someone else commented.

Chris

Will
18th-November-2003, 02:25 PM
Well at time of going to press we have 14 votes cast (7 each), yet nothing like that number of people fessing up to which way they have voted.

Particularly noticable by there absence are 6 of the 7 voters for Australia.

Come on! In the words of Banzai hosts extrodinarily strong Japanese accent:-

Who will win Rugby World Cup Conundrum? Place Bets NOW!

Boomer
18th-November-2003, 03:52 PM
Steve is Steve, or The Tramp or Trampy or whatever - but he's not TT :cheers:
I thought 'TT' was Trampy and 'TwT' was Twinkle-toes:really: Twinkle, my humblest apologies, I'm sure I could never mistake you for Trampy.

Trampy, my sincerest apologies, how I on earth I could mistake you for a woman is a matter for intense discussion...or analysis. :grin:

BB, not long now :grin:

Dreadful Scathe
18th-November-2003, 04:00 PM
I thought 'TT' was Trampy and 'TwT' was Twinkle-toes:really: Twinkle, my humblest apologies, I'm sure I could never mistake you for Trampy.

Not unless you completely lost the use of ALL 5 senses :)

Boomer
18th-November-2003, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
Not unless you completely lost the use of ALL 5 senses :)

We should immediately whittle thse down to 3...I like Trampy (seems like a giggle :nice: ) but touch and taste just don't come into it :what: I'm sure he would agree. :grin:

TheTramp
18th-November-2003, 04:06 PM
Well. Definitely as far as both yourself, and Mr. Scathe are concerned at least.

I am open to offers from certain other people though :D

Steve

Neil
18th-November-2003, 04:34 PM
Steve is Steve, or The Tramp or Trampy Or The Trampster :)

Debster
18th-November-2003, 04:36 PM
OK, I don't know much about Rugby (or rubgy), except I vote for Aus to win... naturally. But here is an appropriate little look into the future for you... :D

:cheers:
A guy walks into a bar with a dachshund under his arm. The dog is
wearing an England rugby jersey and is festooned with England pom-poms.

The bartender says, "Hey! No pets are allowed! You'll have to leave."

The guy begs him, "Look, I'm desperate! We're both big fans, the TV's broken at home, and this is the only place around where we can see the game.

After securing a promise that the dog will behave, and warning him that he and the dog will be thrown out if there's any trouble, the bartender relents and allows them to stay in the bar and
watch the game.

The big game begins with the poms receiving the kickoff. They march down field, get stopped at the 22, and kick a penalty goal.
Suddenly, the dog jumps up on the bar and begins walking up and down the bar giving high-fives to everyone.

The bartender says, "Wow, that is the most amazing thing I've seen! What does the dog do if they score a try?"

The owner replies, "I don't know, I've only had him for three years." :rofl: :cheers: :rofl:

Boomer
18th-November-2003, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Debster
{snips a load of waffle}: :rofl:

I see.

:nice:

Neil
18th-November-2003, 04:39 PM
I voted for England, out of patriotic fervour, but I'm not entirely convinced. Australia on their own patch will be tough opponents.

My prediction: a dour contest which England edge 12-9.

Neil

Will
18th-November-2003, 04:52 PM
(cuts Aussie Winging)

Debstar could well be in danger of becoming Deadster if she keeps that up!

:kiss:

Neil
18th-November-2003, 04:53 PM
The owner replies, "I don't know, I've only had him for three years." Hmmm, wonder what that dog was doing in June of this year, when England put three tries past the Aussies (in Australia) :wink: :D

Neil

Boomer
18th-November-2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Neil
Hmmm, wonder what that dog was doing in June of this year, when England put three tries past the Aussies (in Australia) :wink: :D

Neil

Probably 'topping' up their Fosters.

Debster
18th-November-2003, 05:08 PM
Will the game be in Sydney? Surely it will (going by the size of the cup logo on the Harbour Bridge)... in which case... the Aussies will be very hard to beat. The whole Olympic thing flourished there and this has a similar feeling in Sydney at the moment.

Sorry guys, don't cry too hard when you are thrashed.... ;)

But as I said... I really know nothing about the game.

So will you teach me a lesson tonight at Hipsters Will? Huh? Dance me to within an inch of my life! Huh? Promise ?? :wink: :wink: :D

Tiggerbabe
18th-November-2003, 05:11 PM
In keeping with what appears to be a poll, carefully decided using all of the available sporting information (added to which I know absolutely nothing about rubgy :wink: ) - I voted for the Aussies because Debster wears beautiful shoes :D

Neil
18th-November-2003, 05:16 PM
Will the game be in Sydney? Indeed it will, in the Telstra Stadium.

But as I said... I really know nothing about the game. Don't worry, we believe you! :wink: :D

Neil

Debster
18th-November-2003, 05:24 PM
I voted for the Aussies because Debster wears beautiful shoes :D
Yay Sheena!
I like your thinking! :wink:

Franck
18th-November-2003, 05:37 PM
I voted for the Aussies because Debster wears beautiful shoes :D I voted Aussies because Debster! :D :D

Franck.

Debster
18th-November-2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Franck
I voted Aussies because Debster! :D :D

Hee-hee! That's funny :D
Thancks Franck :kiss:

<and she sees an opening and goes in for the dig...>
See what I mean Will? Who needs to know anything about rubgy to know there are lots of good reasons why Aussies should win :D :rofl:

Dance Demon
18th-November-2003, 06:15 PM
got to fancy the Wallabies ...but they'd better not give away too many penalties in their own half or Johnny W will punish them.Hope the Aussies win.......couldn't stand watching 20 years of replays a la 1966:sick: :devil: :devil:

Boomer
18th-November-2003, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Dance Demon
...Hope the Aussies win.......couldn't stand watching 20 years of replays a la 1966:sick: :devil: :devil:

And that is the only reason I'd be prepared to vote for the Aussies, lovely shoes be damned :grin:

Neil
18th-November-2003, 07:45 PM
couldn't stand watching 20 years of replays a la 1966:sick: :devil: :devil: Unlike, say, Archie Gemmill's goal, which is never ever mentioned :devil: :wink:

Neil

p.s Come on Scotland tomorrow night!

Gary
18th-November-2003, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Divissima
Did you dance in the opening ceremony, Gary?

Nope (non-partner dancing, on grass, no thanks). I know a few people who did, and they had a blast (although they didn't get tickets to see the game included, which I thought was a bit rude).

Doc Iain
19th-November-2003, 05:37 AM
well, just discovered this thread...
I know it is now a 2 horse race but I think I would have to plum for England, just because when we went to the games in Brisbane England were marginally less worse than the Aussies (sad but true both teams were poor)...but we did dress up and sing our little hearts out for the Scots you will all be glad to hear!!!
I know 2 english lads singing the flower of scotland irony if ever there was.

Anyway the other reason I vote for England is that during the NZ vs Aus match "swing low" was echoing around the stadium, and unless anyone can think of another reason for it it means that there wasl an awfull lot of english at that game (sydney is full of them at the moment, and the ball in lights on the bridge looks fab!)...and given that there were 7,000 spare tickets for the australia home quater final and there were still final tickets availiable up until a few days ago the numbers in the stadium should be fairly even.

:really:

but either was it promises to be a fab game featuring the best players in the world and a few people in yellow shirts.
:cheers: :rofl:

may the best team win

ps. waltzing matilda is pretty rousing though so a well timed burst could tip things....hopefully not the way of some of my drops though!

Debster
19th-November-2003, 01:10 PM
This is a bit out of date and so off topic, but gave me a laugh and is more relevant than you might think at first...

===
Supreme Court Case in NZ

A seven year old boy was at the centre of a courtroom drama last week when he challenged a court ruling over who should have custody of the boy. The boy has a history of being beaten by his parents and the judge awarded custody to his aunt. The boy confirmed that his aunt beat him more than his parents and refused to live there. When the judge suggested that he live with his grandparents the boy cried out that they beat him more than anyone. The judge dramatically allowed the boy to choose who should have custody of him. Custody was granted to the All Black rugby team this morning as the boy firmly believes that they are not capable of beating anyone.

psyc0diver
19th-November-2003, 02:03 PM
got to fancy the Wallabies ...but they'd better not give away too many penalties in their own half or Johnny W will punish them.Hope the Aussies win.......couldn't stand watching 20 years of replays a la 1966:sick: :devil: :devil:

I'm with this guy - I have nothing against England (well not much), but 37 years on & they are still baning on about '66 every single football game!!
:sick:
Face it England - the team that did it are all old age pensioners!
Come on OZ

Dance Demon
19th-November-2003, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by psyc0diver
I'm with this guy-Come on OZ

Ahh well...seems like little devils think alike.....

Boomer
20th-November-2003, 11:41 AM
DD, don't say I don't think of you :grin:

1966 (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/front_page/3281537.stm)

stewart38
20th-November-2003, 04:27 PM
If England don't win by 15pts I'll eat my hat

ps has anyone got any salt ? :what:

ps is this vote a bit bias ?

Sorry to see scotland lose 6-0 to Holland. Holland have done well to get through but as a average team can't see them going any further

Dance Demon
20th-November-2003, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by stewart38

Sorry to see scotland lose 6-0 to Holland. Holland have done well to get through but as a average team can't see them going any further

Ahem...AVERAGE ...they looked a bit more than average to me last night......they finally played as a team, and if they continue to do so, I reckon they could win Euro 2004...

Now then ...how does that song go..?......Once a jolly swagman...:wink:

Will
21st-November-2003, 02:40 AM
Gotta agree with DD in all seriousness, although they have been inconsistant, the Dutch performance last night was awesome and I doubt any nation would fancy playing them in that sort of form.

JamesGeary
21st-November-2003, 04:45 AM
Australia will win the World Cup.
Australia beat NZ. Case closed.
You could make bets on the margin though.

Chris
21st-November-2003, 06:16 AM
An old one . . .

There's a man sitting in the front row at the Rugby World Cup Finals, but amazingly, there's an empty seat beside him. Another man spots it, goes up to him and says: "Do you mind if I sit here?"

"No, not at all," replies the first man. "It's my wife's seat, but she's just died."

"So why didn't you get one of your family to come," asks the second man out of curiosity.

"They're all at the funeral."

There's funnier ones but they're not printable on a public forum :wink:

Will
22nd-November-2003, 03:54 PM
And so 12 of us correctly saw the outcome or the match - congratulations to you all.

However, here is something for the 15 of you who got it wrong! :grin:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39513000/jpg/_39513344_robinson_try_pa300x245.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39513000/jpg/_39513302_wilko_ap235x300.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39513000/jpg/_39513646_johnson_cup_gi.jpg

Gus
22nd-November-2003, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by psyc0diver
I'm with this guy - I have nothing against England (well not much), but 37 years on & they are still baning on about '66 every single football game!!
:sick:
Face it England - the team that did it are all old age pensioners!
Come on OZ

....and Scotland's contribution to Rugby and Football in World Cup finals would be.........??:devil:

Neil
23rd-November-2003, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by Neil
My prediction: a {irrelevant adjective deleted} contest which England edge 12-9. Not only did I predict the winning team, I also got the margin of victory correct. I am the world's greatest sports pundit :D

Neil

Dance Demon
24th-November-2003, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by Gus
....and Scotland's contribution to Rugby and Football in World Cup finals would be.........??:devil:

The cheeriest, most well behaved and welcomed supporters in the world......:D :cheers: :na:

Will
16th-December-2003, 06:39 PM
I know that we have a small but not insignificant Australian readership here on the Ceroc Scotland Forum. So for the benefit of you Aussies - A Picture that speaks a thousand words!!!

http://static.sky.com/images/pictures/1184385.jpg

TheTramp
17th-December-2003, 02:09 AM
I know that we have a small but not insignificant Australian readership here on the Ceroc Scotland Forum. So for the benefit of you Aussies - A Picture that speaks a thousand words!!!

http://static.sky.com/images/pictures/1184385.jpg You didn't show what was written on the back though, Will.

I believe it went something like.....

3/1 we'll take it off you next time.

Steve

Will
19th-December-2003, 02:50 AM
You didn't show what was written on the back though, Will.

I believe it went something like.....

3/1 we'll take it off you next time.

Steve
Didn't see the point. It's pretty much what he said the last time and look where it got him :D :D :D

psyc0diver
19th-December-2003, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Gus

So do tell me - who was the first team to defeat england after they won in 1966 ? Lets hear all about that!
However - we know we're not that great - we are a small nation after all

David Franklin
16th-February-2004, 12:26 PM

http://static.sky.com/images/pictures/1184385.jpg Will, I've now found the true reason Martin Johnson has retired and Jonny is taking time off. They're running scared over the new Aussie tactic; and it's most definitely not cricket...

http://www.sportal.com.au/league.asp?i=news&id=9703

[OK, does this mean the thread should be moved "upstairs"...?]