PDA

View Full Version : Tango events: Listings?

jivecat
22nd-December-2008, 01:57 PM
I'm often frustrated by the lack of a good web-site which systematically lists all the tango events across the country. It's really hard to plan what to go to, and often events happen which I miss because I didn't know about them. I'm about to go down to Gloucestershire for the Great Midwinter Feast and I'm going to have to spend hours trawling for an event which I might go to. The only option seems to be to be on the mailing list of dozens of different tango groups within my patch.

It would be really good to have a site like UK Jive which lays everything out systematically. Wes also does sterling work with his MJ listing, as did John Sweeney.

Is there a tango site which does a similar job? And if not, how easy would it be to start one, for a totally non-computer-literate person?

ant
22nd-December-2008, 02:11 PM
I'm often frustrated by the lack of a good web-site which systematically lists all the tango events across the country. It's really hard to plan what to go to, and often events happen which I miss because I didn't know about them. I'm about to go down to Gloucestershire for the Great Midwinter Feast and I'm going to have to spend hours trawling for an event which I might go to. The only option seems to be to be on the mailing list of dozens of different tango groups within my patch.

It would be really good to have a site like UK Jive which lays everything out systematically. Wes also does sterling work with his MJ listing, as did John Sweeney.

Is there a tango site which does a similar job? And if not, how easy would it be to start one, for a totally non-computer-literate person?

The best source I know is

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tango-uk

This gives information countrywide by email alert rather than by lists though but the search facility is good. You do get rather alot of emails however.

jivecat
22nd-December-2008, 02:27 PM

This gives information countrywide by email alert rather than by lists though but the search facility is good. You do get rather alot of emails however.

That's what I was hoping to avoid. On UK Jive you can get a complete overview of any night just by one-click.

David Bailey
22nd-December-2008, 02:37 PM
That's what I was hoping to avoid. On UK Jive you can get a complete overview of any night just by one-click.

I use the Tango groups thing also.

Basically, I don't think there is any other way of finding stuff out, for non-London events.

philsmove
22nd-December-2008, 03:07 PM

if you set preferences to "daily digest" you only get one email per day

philsmove
22nd-December-2008, 03:11 PM
about to go down to Gloucestershire for the Great Midwinter Feast and I'm going to have to spend hours trawling for an event which I might go to.?

New year eve Milonga -Bristol

Boxing day Practica -Bath

David Bailey
22nd-December-2008, 04:56 PM
And if not, how easy would it be to start one, for a totally non-computer-literate person?
There's a Google Maps thing, apparently, which allows you to create a personalised map-thing.

Details here:
http://maps.google.co.uk/help/maps/mymaps/create.html

I've not tried it - I may have a go with this over the hols for my site though...

jivecat
23rd-December-2008, 11:39 AM
New year eve Milonga -Bristol

Boxing day Practica -Bath

Thanks for that, Phil, I have now found it on the Tango Bristol calendar page - seems like the groups in that area are cooperating to provide an at-a-glance listing.

Any idea whether the Boxing day practica will be well-attended?

philsmove
23rd-December-2008, 12:04 PM

Any idea whether the Boxing day practica will be well-attended?

Well I will be there :wink:

philsmove
27th-December-2008, 10:49 AM
There's a Google Maps thing, apparently, which allows you to create a personalised map-thing.

Somthing like this (http://www.tango.org.uk/)

David Bailey
7th-January-2009, 12:11 PM
Somthing like this (http://www.tango.org.uk/)
Good link - I've added that to my site, thanks.

I've also done a listing of weekenders here, as supplied by Ant:
http://www.jivetango.co.uk/Events.html

- any others, let me know and I'll add them in.

philsmove
7th-January-2009, 12:54 PM
Good link - I've added that to my site, thanks.

- any others, let me know and I'll add them in.

I have not been to any of these events but have had very good reports

http://www.vidadetango.co.uk/events/events.html

This lists most events in Bristol & Bath plus a few others

http://www.bristoltango.co.uk/
:cheers:

David Bailey
7th-January-2009, 01:40 PM
I have not been to any of these events but have had very good reports

http://www.vidadetango.co.uk/events/events.html

Cor, that Tango Feast looks like a gorgeous venue. I've added those 4 to my list now.

Blimey, it's all happening in the West Country, innit?

Trouble
7th-January-2009, 03:35 PM
Blimey Bailey...... didnt realise that your site was actually this good. I mean its got oodles of information on it and its really quite easy to read and get on with... Im impressed.

Anyway, im struggling to find an intense course that will teach us tango before rockbottoms in May......

that is unless we want to travel to Devon, or the otherside of the world.

Thoughts?

Feelingpink
7th-January-2009, 03:53 PM
Blimey Bailey...... didnt realise that your site was actually this good. I mean its got oodles of information on it and its really quite easy to read and get on with... Im impressed. He has his uses :wink:

Anyway, im struggling to find an intense course that will teach us tango before rockbottoms in May......

that is unless we want to travel to Devon, or the otherside of the world.

Thoughts?Tango South London does a four-hour taster workshop (http://www.tangosouthlondon.co.uk/classes.php) for complete beginners once a month - the next dates are Jan 31, Feb 28 and March 28.

ant
7th-January-2009, 03:59 PM

Darling part of the problem is that alot of the learning is in the dancing itself.

Once you have masterd a few basic steps, forward and backward ocho and Giro and maybe a basic step pattern to move in (this takes about an afternoon), the rest is up to you.

It is then a question of technique, walking, lead or follow, connection, disociation, balance plus a feel for the music.

Of course there are other basic steps you can learn paradas, baredas, secardas, boleos, colgadas etc but there is no point until you are ready.

When are you ready?

Everybody is different but it does take time and in my opinion it is best to get introduced to these slowly one at a time.

Knowing the pressures on your time I would say your best move is to go to the Beginners Intensive course at the Factory and then go to their Saturday lessons and then stay for the 2 hour Practicas (informal social dancing). If you are also free on Sundays get down to La Mariposa (I go and can introduce you to all the other MJers that attend, I reckon at least 10 each week), the tuition is very good and and there is a 2 1/2 hour practica afterwards.

Let me know what days in the week you are free and I will find the best places for you to go. In my opinion you need to some good basic tuition with a practica afterwards.

Trouble
7th-January-2009, 04:08 PM
Darling part of the problem is that alot of the learning is in the dancing itself.

Once you have masterd a few basic steps, forward and backward ocho and Giro and maybe a basic step pattern to move in (this takes about an afternoon), the rest is up to you.

It is then a question of technique, walking, lead or follow, connection, disociation, balance plus a feel for the music.

Of course there are other basic steps you can learn paradas, baredas, secardas, boleos, colgadas etc but there is no point until you are ready.

When are you ready?

Everybody is different but it does take time and in my opinion it is best to get introduced to these slowly one at a time.

Knowing the pressures on your time I would say your best move is to go to the Beginners Intensive course at the Factory and then go to their Saturday lessons and then stay for the 2 hour Practicas (informal social dancing). If you are also free on Sundays get down to La Mariposa (I go and can introduce you to all the other MJers that attend, I reckon at least 10 each week), the tuition is very good and and there is a 2 1/2 hour practica afterwards.

Let me know what days in the week you are free and I will find the best places for you to go. In my opinion you need to some good basic tuition with a practica afterwards.

yes David Bailey has offered tuition for us on weekends 2 hour slots fortnightly which i am going to take him up on as long as he can get the hall hire.

So, we will do practicing at the berko on the sunday each fortnight. Fingers crossed eh!!! :flower:

tanjive
7th-January-2009, 07:36 PM
http://www.tangouk.co.uk/workshops.htm

Trouble: The tango toolkit is probably suited to what you are looking for.

DB: Thanks for putting some of these on your website, but the tangk academy is probably the right level for the LGTN crowd.
Tangk academy (3 day event) dates 23/5 Jan, 27Mar, 23/5 Oct

Please, contact me if want some advice about the organisers, venue etc

I do recommend the tea dances first Sunday of the month, though the New Forest is along way from some. The cakes are yumm!!

Trouble
8th-January-2009, 10:21 AM
http://www.tangouk.co.uk/workshops.htm

Trouble: The tango toolkit is probably suited to what you are looking for.

DB: Thanks for putting some of these on your website, but the tangk academy is probably the right level for the LGTN crowd.
Tangk academy (3 day event) dates 23/5 Jan, 27Mar, 23/5 Oct

Please, contact me if want some advice about the organisers, venue etc

I do recommend the tea dances first Sunday of the month, though the New Forest is along way from some. The cakes are yumm!!

Thanks Tanjive. I looked at this immediately in the new year as your right it sounds great and the New Forest is wonderful so could have made a weekend of it but its booked up until May 30th and i need to learn this before the rockbottoms weekend so it could not help us out on this occassion. Hopefully DJ will get us enough to be competant at it for the weekend then we can concentrate on things like the toolkit to really get a hold of it and improve. xxx

philsmove
25th-January-2009, 01:08 PM
There is a new face book group Tango in England

You can share here the information of your tango group or any tanguero's event.
It is for all those who enjoy dancing tango or
just love the tango, are, have been or will be living in UK, or just are interesting what is about tango in UK.

Tango consists of a variety of styles that developed in different regions and eras of Argentina and Uruguay. The dance developed in response to many cultural elements, such as the crowding of the venue and even the fashions in clothing. The styles are mostly danced in either open embrace, where lead and follow connect at arms length, or close embrace, where the lead and follow connect chest-to-chest.

Different styles of Tango are:
-Tango Canyengue
-Tango Liso
-Tango Salon
-Tango Orillero
-Tango Milonguero (Tango Apilado)
-Tango Nuevo
-Show Tango (also known as Fantasia).

These are danced to several types of music:
-Tango
-Vals (the tango version of waltz)
-Milonga (a related dance usually with a faster tempo)
-Tango Electronico
-Alternative Tango (non-tango music appropriated for use in the dance)

The "milonguero" style is characterized by a very close embrace, small steps, and syncopated rhythmic footwork. It is based on the petitero or caquero style of the crowded downtown clubs of the '50s.

In contrast, the tango that originated in the family clubs of the suburban neighborhoods (Villa Urquiza/Devoto/Avellaneda etc.) emphasizes long elegant steps, and complex figures. In this case the embrace may be allowed to open briefly, to permit execution of the complicated footwork.

The complex figures of this style became the basis for a theatrical performance style of Tango seen in the touring stage shows. For stage purposes, the embrace is often very open, and the complex footwork is augmented with gymnastic lifts, kicks, and drops.

A newer style sometimes called "Tango Nuevo" has been popularized in recent years by a younger generation of dancers. The embrace is often quite open and very elastic, permitting the leader to lead a large variety of very complex figures. This style is often associated with those who enjoy dancing to jazz- and techno-tinged "alternative Tango" music, in addition to traditional Tango compositions.