PDA

View Full Version : Line Dance / WCS

Lee Bartholomew
20th-December-2008, 02:00 PM
I taught an easy line dance as part of an end of year fun class the other day and actually enjoyed doing the dance. Whilst looking at the clps etc on youtube, I realised just how much technique etc you need to be able to line dance well.

Also I have been told that most line dance teachers teach WCS. Now im thinking of doing line dancing every week in the new year but was wondering what the connection between WCS and Line dancing is?

Gerry
20th-December-2008, 02:51 PM
I taught an easy line dance as part of an end of year fun class the other day and actually enjoyed doing the dance. Whilst looking at the clps etc on youtube, I realised just how much technique etc you need to be able to line dance well.

Also I have been told that most line dance teachers teach WCS. Now im thinking of doing line dancing every week in the new year but was wondering what the connection between WCS and Line dancing is?

being able to dance musical, being able to use syncopated footwork.

Paul Warden, cat, Lee Easton and Sydney Smyth are all outstanding line dancers

Brian Doolan
20th-December-2008, 05:43 PM

It was whilst linedancing in Linwood, 7 or 8 years ago, that I first saw WCS and wondered what it was they were doing. I remember the organiser, Gary Lafferty, being quite pi**ed off with them as they were taking up so much room at the front of the hall and told them to stop; they were all accomplished linedancers.
I don't know of any linedance teachers in Scotland who accommodate, never mind teach, WCS so I think the LD/WCS teachers must all be in England.
I'm not sure if James McLauchlan teaches linedance but I know he is deservedly a world champion line & WCS dancer.
btw - I'm not suggesting James brought WCS to Linedance in Scotland.

Minnie M
21st-December-2008, 05:55 AM
AFAIK Line Dancers who compete in National & International competitions need to have at least one 'partner dance' to gain medals etc., and WCS is one of the prefered partner dances.

There are many dance schools teaching Line Dancing, but not all teach their students to competition level, therefore they do not require to know or teach WCS or any other partner dance (such as Night Club Two Step)