PDA

View Full Version : Which browser do you use

martingold
17th-December-2008, 11:35 AM
This came up in another thread so i thought it would make an interesting poll
I have been using firefox for about four or five years now and only us I.E. when the site in question hasn't been written properly to allow any browser

Dreadful Scathe
17th-December-2008, 11:49 AM
This came up in another thread so i thought it would make an interesting poll
I have been using firefox for about four or five years now and only us I.E. when the site in question hasn't been written properly to allow any browser
Gah, rubbish poll. You do get IE and FF on the MAC, and you do have people who have a MAC and a PC. And there are other browsers.

I use Firefox and Opera mainly. In fact IE is blocked by my firewall.

Northants Girly
17th-December-2008, 11:56 AM
nowt very interesting about a poll with only 2 options on it . . . .

straycat
17th-December-2008, 12:02 PM
Hmmm. I use, in no particular order:
IE6
IE7
IE8 (beta)
Safari (Mac & PC)
Chrome
Firefox (Mac & PC)

martingold
17th-December-2008, 12:08 PM
Gah, rubbish poll. You do get IE and FF on the MAC, and you do have people who have a MAC and a PC. And there are other browsers.
which was why the poll had multiple ticks available
the mac bit was a bit tongue in cheek
sorry to the mac user out there lol :na:

ducasi
17th-December-2008, 12:10 PM
When I'm on a Windows box, I'll use whatever comes to hand – IE or Firefox. Usually all I'm doing is downloading software and updates, etc.

When I'm on a Mac, I primarily use Safari, though Firefox has its uses...

When I'm on Linux, again, whatever is there, Konquerer or Firefox, probably.

On my phone, the standard Nokia browser derived from Apple's Webkit software.

On my iPod, MobileSafari.

Um... Think that's the main ones...

Zebra Woman
17th-December-2008, 12:18 PM
I have a mac (which I hardly ever use) and a PC, I use Firefox on both.

The reason I prefer Firefox on the PC is because it's about 30% faster than IE, and I have a 500mB connection so speed matters. Oh and Azande pointed me in the direction of 'Adblock' so I can permanently remove Franck's advertising banners from the top of my page (sorry Franck :blush:).

That said, I do have some annoying problems with Firefox on this Forum.

I am using the standard editor and the default orange forum skin.

When I'm using FF I can't just click on a smiley and use it in a PM or post (hence I haven't used many lately). None of the editing options work in FF either, bold, underline, change font colour etc.. In IE it's all fine.

If I click on the Quick Links menu option, then instead getting the drop down menu which includes 'Who's On-line' it completely refereshes the menu bar with different slightly different headings (Quick Links turns into Mark Forums Read for example).

Grrr.....

Any ideas?

pmjd
17th-December-2008, 12:18 PM
Well you did keep it simple Martin:wink:

Lory
17th-December-2008, 12:25 PM
I'd been using Safari on the Mac quite happily until it came to building the website and then I had to install Firefox, as the website program didn't like Safari for some reason

I use Explorer on the laptop and sometimes AOL

martingold
17th-December-2008, 12:30 PM
Well you did keep it simple Martin:wink:
lol :D

straycat
17th-December-2008, 12:30 PM
I'd been using Safari on the Mac quite happily until it came to building the website and then I had to install Firefox, as the website program didn't like Safari for some reason

Which website program?

ducasi
17th-December-2008, 12:43 PM
... 'Adblock' so I can permanently remove Franck's advertising banners from the top of my page (sorry Franck :blush:).

That said, I do have some annoying problems with Firefox on this Forum.

I am using the standard editor and the default orange forum skin.

When I'm using FF I can't just click on a smiley and use it in a PM or post (hence I haven't used many lately). None of the editing options work in FF either, bold, underline, change font colour etc.. In IE it's all fine.

If I click on the Quick Links menu option, then instead getting the drop down menu which includes 'Who's On-line' it completely refereshes the menu bar with different slightly different headings (Quick Links turns into Mark Forums Read for example).

Grrr.....

Any ideas?
Try removing the "Adblock" software.

Oh, and clear your cache, etc...

Zebra Woman
17th-December-2008, 12:52 PM
Try removing the "Adblock" software.

Oh, and clear your cache, etc...

Thanks Ducasi! :clap::hug::respect::D

I must have got carried away disabling stuff with Adblock, and gone a step too far.

Brilliant! :D

ZW

Lory
17th-December-2008, 12:57 PM
which website program?

1&1..

geoff332
17th-December-2008, 01:07 PM
I mostly use Chrome (it's light and fast and is very well behaved. In particular, it's tab implementation is brilliant).

On my work PC, I use IE7 - mostly because I need to use Sharepoint and this is not well written for any browser. I occasionally use Firefox, but has a few issues (on certain sites, it suddenly starts over-using the CPU; that and the fact it's a memory hog).

Gadget
17th-December-2008, 02:44 PM
Chrome for me. :D

Zebra Woman
17th-December-2008, 03:01 PM
I have just googled chrome and watched the demo - looks good. I quite fancy switching to that from Firefox.

Are there any disadvantages in switching from Firefox to Chrome?

ducasi
17th-December-2008, 03:13 PM
I have just googled chrome and watched the demo - looks good. I quite fancy switching to that from Firefox.

Chrome doesn't have the range of plug-ins that Firefox has. :(

But I really like the way it has separate processes for each web page. :)

I'm looking forward to Chrome (or something with the same process model) coming to the Mac.

Dreadful Scathe
17th-December-2008, 04:19 PM
Chrome doesn't have the range of plug-ins that Firefox has. :(

I stopped using Chrome as my Hard Drive was constantly going. For most pages i visit, i have no need of plugins.

But I really like the way it has separate processes for each web page. :)

Me too. That was the biggest annoyance with Firefox, its inability to have more than one session on one PC at a time - unlike IE, you cannot open a new session of Firefox - it complains that Firefox is already running :(.

ashenfie
17th-December-2008, 04:27 PM

The biggest issue is that it locks up on some websites, so it's not quite quite ready IMH:doh:.

TA Guy
17th-December-2008, 05:55 PM
The biggest issue is that it locks up on some websites, so it's not quite quite ready IMH:doh:.

Quite a few. Chrome is heavily based on 'webkit', an open source browser. It has some really good points (E.G. The javascript engine is vastly superior to Firefox at the moment), but essentially it is an unfinished product. And that is reflected in Chrome with, for example, half the security implementations of other browsers missing etc. There are a lot of niggly bugs.

On top of that, there is the issue of privacy. There are has been a lot of confusion about exactly what is sent back to Google, apparently the implementations as described are incredibly misleading and you may think you have turned off, for example, sending every URL you visit back to Google, but... nope. It appears to be basically a datamine for Google. This may or may not bother you :)

Personally, I can't even consider moving to chrome until they replicate the extension library that is available for firefox.

(Incidentally, it is perfectly possible to run instances of firefox in a separate process, but not the tabs unfort)

StokeBloke
17th-December-2008, 06:33 PM

I use Explorer on the laptop and sometimes AOL
If you're building a website it is pretty standard practice to install as many different browsers as possible to ensure that you do not lose your formatting in any of them.

If Ducasi decided to look at you site who knows which of his plethora of browsers he'd be using - you need to make sure he can get the information on any of them Lory :wink:

I know a couple of people (including Twirlie Bird) who surf from a mobile phone to see what events are coming up on UK-Jive. Usually as we're discussing forthcoming plans at a freestyle with people. It's worth bearing in mind how people may access the 'net when it comes to building your website Honey.

Ohhh and also bear in mind that normal people use a P.C. It may look funky dory on your Mac, but most people don't use those things.

JiveLad
17th-December-2008, 09:00 PM
I mostly use Chrome (it's light and fast and is very well behaved. In particular, it's tab implementation is brilliant).

On my work PC, I use IE7 - mostly because I need to use Sharepoint and this is not well written for any browser. I occasionally use Firefox, but has a few issues (on certain sites, it suddenly starts over-using the CPU; that and the fact it's a memory hog).

Chrome for me. :D

Chrome - it's a no brainer for basic surfing: faster and easier than IE.

I understand it is ahead of schedule in testing and will be released in full form early next year (?).

ducasi
17th-December-2008, 09:38 PM
Chrome - it's a no brainer for basic surfing: faster and easier than IE.

I understand it is ahead of schedule in testing and will be released in full form early next year (?).
:confused:

Didn't they release "version 1.0" last week?

JiveLad
17th-December-2008, 10:03 PM
:confused:

Didn't they release "version 1.0" last week?

Dunno? Did they? That's why I put a '?'

Lory
17th-December-2008, 11:48 PM
Ohhh and also bear in mind that normal people use a P.C. It may look funky dory on your Mac, but most people don't use those things.

I've got a laptop PC too, so I'm nearly normal :na:

martingold
18th-December-2008, 08:54 AM
I'm nearly normal :na::whistle:

Dreadful Scathe
18th-December-2008, 10:52 AM
(Incidentally, it is perfectly possible to run instances of firefox in a separate process, but not the tabs unfort)

I looked it up and its not exactly obvious (www.fusioncube.net/index.php/multiple-sessions-firefox+firefox+with+multiple+sessions&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=uk). It sounds like the cookieswap add-on will allow for different sessions in each tab, but i cant be bothered with the hassle ;) Ultimately I develop using firefox and test in multiple sessions of IE, thats what people have to use in business mainly.

Clueless
18th-December-2008, 01:25 PM
I usee ifrefox, fast easy and the plug ins are good (Though they got rid of the double click reload plug-in) I like the outlay, yes I know it eats you Computers memory but it's not as 'clunky' or slow as I.E

TA Guy
18th-December-2008, 04:40 PM
I looked it up and its not exactly obvious (http://www.fusioncube.net/index.php/multiple-sessions-firefox+firefox+with+multiple+sessions&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=uk). It sounds like the cookieswap add-on will allow for different sessions in each tab, but i cant be bothered with the hassle ;) Ultimately I develop using firefox and test in multiple sessions of IE, thats what people have to use in business mainly.

The way to get each instance of firefox to run as a separate process is a simple command line argument change, do it thru the properties windows and you are finished. It's a well known change, although I have never used it myself.

I know of no way to get the tabs to run as separate processes, neither the cookiepie or the cookieswap add-ons do that as far as I know. Sessions != processes.

Dreadful Scathe
18th-December-2008, 04:47 PM
I know of no way to get the tabs to run as separate processes, neither the cookiepie or the cookieswap add-ons do that as far as I know. Sessions != processes.

Well that depends on what the cookie does - if its session cookies that cookieswap deals with per tab then it should be fine surely?

TA Guy
18th-December-2008, 09:30 PM
Well that depends on what the cookie does - if its session cookies that cookieswap deals with per tab then it should be fine surely?

Sessions and Cookies have nothing to do with Processes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Process_(computing)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Session_(computer_science)

Dreadful Scathe
18th-December-2008, 10:16 PM
Sessions and Cookies have nothing to do with Processes.

yes i realise that, but the purpose of running a different process is to have a different session in each one, so if an add-on will handle multiple sessions for you in one process, there is no need for mulitple processes.

killingtime
18th-December-2008, 11:23 PM
Mostly FireFox though I've been trying Chrome at home and I like it (it seems faster) and a bit of IE at work for local domain stuff. Oh and IE in the new Steam beta so I can surf the web while waiting to respawn in a game :D.

TA Guy
19th-December-2008, 02:46 AM
yes i realise that, but the purpose of running a different process is to have a different session in each one, so if an add-on will handle multiple sessions for you in one process, there is no need for mulitple processes.

Personally I would think that the major reason for separate processes is to avoid a crash in one tab locking up all the others.

Dreadful Scathe
19th-December-2008, 11:00 AM
Personally I would think that the major reason for separate processes is to avoid a crash in one tab locking up all the others.
not for me. When I'm developing, I don't write anything that crashes browsers :)

straycat
19th-December-2008, 11:37 AM
not for me. When I'm developing, I don't write anything that crashes browsers :)

Alas, I do. Mostly with IE6 though. Oh - and Firefox under Vista - I've managed to write something which can occasionally take the whole machine down. The joys of shoddy Javascript implementations...

philsmove
19th-December-2008, 12:07 PM
After reading after reading this thread, I though I would give FF another go

But I quickly discovered, why I went back to IE the last time I tried it

I find the text on FF looks a bit fuzzy. IE just seems clearer

PS My eye sight is far from perfect and I were bi focals

Dreadful Scathe
19th-December-2008, 02:11 PM
After reading after reading this thread, I though I would give FF another go

But I quickly discovered, why I went back to IE the last time I tried it

I find the text on FF looks a bit fuzzy. IE just seems clearer

PS My eye sight is far from perfect and I were bi focals
you got cleartype on ? you could always use the same font or change the size :)

philsmove
19th-December-2008, 03:34 PM
you got cleartype on ? ...)
I have now,
I will see how I get on with FF, it is certainly faster
Many Thanks:cheers:

tsh
19th-December-2008, 05:24 PM
There's other oses than PC and mac you know... I run firefox on my TV, which is linux. (and opera on my phone)

Dreadful Scathe
19th-December-2008, 05:40 PM
There's other oses than PC and mac you know...

Neither PC or Mac are "an OS" ;)

I run firefox on my TV, which is linux. (and opera on my phone)

Yes the poll is rubbish :)

DavidY
23rd-December-2008, 11:46 AM
Hmm - just as well I do still have a copy of IE - I just came across a website which doesn't work in Firefox. :(

Dreadful Scathe
23rd-December-2008, 12:18 PM
which one ?

DavidY
23rd-December-2008, 03:33 PM
which one ?My local GP's practice website. They have an "order a repeat prescription" request page. Good idea but doesn't seem to like Firefox.

Dreadful Scathe
23rd-December-2008, 03:41 PM
I'd be tempted to send them an email pointing to some sort of w3c "best practice" doc with a complaint about them "forcing me to chose a specific technology" ;)

Tessalicious
30th-December-2008, 04:29 PM
I'd be tempted to send them an email pointing to some sort of w3c "best practice" doc with a complaint about them "forcing me to chose a specific technology" ;)Good idea. Or, he could email them saying "It's really great that you provide this service but did you know that x% of people don't use Internet Explorer, so you'll make this service available to more people (and save even more doctors' time) if you adapt it to other browsers."

Which approach do you think will be less likely to encourage them to prescribe him unwanted laxatives?

Dreadful Scathe
30th-December-2008, 04:44 PM
Which approach do you think will be less likely to encourage them to prescribe him unwanted laxatives?

Are you suggesting GP's prescribe pills based on petty revenge rather than actual medical need? :eek: I'm off to phone the BMA*.

* The Bank Marketing Association of course, I want to complain about the Credit Crunch

Dreadful Scathe
29th-January-2009, 01:47 PM
At last - huge fines for Microsoft and an order to force them to give users a choice of browser on install (http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2009/01/29/microsoft_ec_browser_warning/). About time too - monopoly making muppets.

Phil_dB
2nd-February-2009, 02:04 PM
I'm liking google Chrome.

If at work you want to browse more descretely, there's some good stealth browsers around, - i found Ghostzilla to be pretty good

AussieJ
24th-February-2009, 09:35 PM
FireFox 3 Portable Edition sitting on my Sandisk Cruzer micro :nice:

If and when Google releases support for third-party developed extensions to Chrome, I might check it out then.

DavidY
18th-April-2009, 02:14 PM
Found another website that seems to break in Firefox.

http://www.nokia.co.uk/storelocator is supposed to show a drop-down list of areas so (in my case) I can find someone repair my Nokia. (Which is broken :tears:)

It seems to work fine in IE but in the version of Firefox I'm using (3.0.4 - not the latest but not that old) it doesn't work.:confused: Have I got something wrong in my configuration?

pmjd
18th-April-2009, 02:20 PM
Found another website that seems to break in Firefox.

http://www.nokia.co.uk/storelocator is supposed to show a drop-down list of areas so (in my case) I can find someone repair my Nokia. (Which is broken :tears:)

It seems to work fine in IE but in the version of Firefox I'm using (3.0.4 - not the latest but not that old) it doesn't work.:confused: Have I got something wrong in my configuration?

Just checked the link, on Firefox 3.0.8 on OS X, and it works fine for me:confused:

DavidY
18th-April-2009, 08:32 PM
Thank for trying that. :cheers:

Updated to Firefox 3.0.8 (on Windows XP). Still no drop-down list. :confused:

AussieJ
20th-April-2009, 08:24 PM
Updated to Firefox 3.0.8 (on Windows XP). Still no drop-down list. :confused:

The 'Area:' drop down list is expanding and collapsing just fine under my Firefox 3.0.5 browser

Could be a particular config variable that's been set to something erroneous, under about:config ? Just a guess though.

Beowulf
29th-June-2009, 05:04 PM
hmm.. can't say i'm sold !! (http://www.danbaileyuk.com/2009/06/29/former-superman-in-funny-new-microsoft-adverts/)

Oh how superman has fallen !

Dreadful Scathe
30th-June-2009, 11:43 PM
hmm.. can't say i'm sold !! (http://www.danbaileyuk.com/2009/06/29/former-superman-in-funny-new-microsoft-adverts/)

Oh how superman has fallen !
only watched the first one...is that supposed to be a positive advert for IE8 ? :)

Danny
14th-July-2009, 08:11 AM
I actually quite like the adverts, unfortunately, spending about 75% of my web-designing time catering to failings that are IE-specific has dampened my enthusiasm somewhat (PNG support, everything CSS, etc).
Not to mention thinking back to the time before FF came along where popups and viruses were par for the course - and that STILL hasn't changed.
If you're using IE, please stop hurting the internet and switch to a real browser.

Dreadful Scathe
14th-July-2009, 08:54 AM
If you're using IE, please stop hurting the internet and switch to a real browser.

A maxim to live by...:)

killingtime
14th-July-2009, 10:40 PM
I actually quite like the adverts, unfortunately, spending about 75% of my web-designing time catering to failings that are IE-specific has dampened my enthusiasm somewhat (PNG support, everything CSS, etc).

IE quirks account for days of my life that I'll never get back :(. Thankfully I've moved away from web design stuff so I don't need to worry about that at least for the near future anyway.

Lory
15th-July-2009, 09:39 AM
Has Safari changed recently? (I've been mainly using firefox but came back to Safari today)

When I press cmd-T, it used to simply open up a new window but now it opens up something called 'top sites' :confused:

I'm not complaining, as its actually quite useful and the layout is great :nice: but wondered if its something 'I've' done or has everyone got that now?

If its everyone, I'd like to know what else is new, that I might not have discovered yet? :flower:

killingtime
21st-July-2009, 11:44 PM
When I press cmd-T, it used to simply open up a new window but now it opens up something called 'top sites' :confused:

It's a new thing but you can tell Safari whether to default to top sites or a homepage, blank window etc. It's somewhere in settings but I'm not allowed to use Safari at work to check :(.