PDA

View Full Version : Outlook Has Disappeared!

Jay Jay
5th-December-2008, 02:34 AM
Hoping someone can steer me in the right direction as I am absolutely hopeless with computers but my Outlook has gone!

All my saved e-mails have disappeared, they were saved (offline) to hard drive and I cannot find them anywhere!

Trousers
5th-December-2008, 09:46 AM
Hmmmmm

Do you still have all the boxes and packaging that the computer came in?

:grin:

Alan Doyle
5th-December-2008, 10:09 AM
What service provider is your e-mail using? Is it like hotmail or yahoo or gmail or is it an internal company e-mail (are you connecting to an exchange server)?

DavidY
5th-December-2008, 10:16 AM
Which version of Outlook is it?

Some people have "Outlook Express" (which is a cut-down version) and some people have Outlook (which usually comes as part of Microsoft Office).

pmjd
5th-December-2008, 10:37 AM

Some people have "Outlook Express" (which is a cut-down version) and some people have Outlook (which usually comes as part of Microsoft Office).
:yeah:
When you say "outlook is gone" do you mean the outlook program won't start or do you mean that outlook is working (ok maybe not properly) but your emails have disappeared? Also what version of windows are you using, as outlook stores your mail files in different places depending what version of windows it is.

Jay Jay
5th-December-2008, 12:20 PM
Hmmmmm

Do you still have all the boxes and packaging that the computer came in?

:grin:

What service provider is your e-mail using? Is it like hotmail or yahoo or gmail or is it an internal company e-mail (are you connecting to an exchange server)?

:yeah:
When you say "outlook is gone" do you mean the outlook program won't start or do you mean that outlook is working (ok maybe not properly) but your emails have disappeared? Also what version of windows are you using, as outlook stores your mail files in different places depending what version of windows it is.

Thank you all for getting back to me, the history is that it is a laptop that was a used for company business, which now no longer exists and has no server anymore. I wanted to now use it for personal use, I know that there were emails that were saved to the hard drive. I pressed something when connecting it to my wireless network at home to make it personal use and it said it was going to shut down and reconfigurate and when it came back to life the outlook icon had gone...did manage to find it but it was all empty :sick:

pmjd
5th-December-2008, 12:37 PM
Mmm not sure what happened but you can try searching to see if you can find a file called Outlook.pst, it's the default name for the file that should contain all your emails. It's most likely to be in C:\Documents and Settings\Your user name\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook folder. You may have to turn on the option to view hidden files and folders to see it thought, which can be done by going to Tools, then selecting Folder Options in a windows explorer window, then go to view tab and you'll find the option there.

Once you've found the file you could try re-importing it to outlook and hopefully get your mail back.

Gadget
5th-December-2008, 12:54 PM
Probably created a new "account" on the laptop - ie the icons, desktop etc. are different when logging in as person/account A to person/account B.

You can play about with file locations, but the easiest way would be to "backup" your e-mails under the old account and save it to a mutual location (eg c:\temp) and then log in under the new account and "restore" your backup.
(assuming that you can log in as both)