PDA

View Full Version : Rings and Bangles

Danny
3rd-December-2008, 01:39 AM
Hey peeps, I'm usually just a lurker but thought I'd post a problem I occasionally have at dancing and wanted your opinions.

My problem is with women wearing rings (and perhaps men, 'cept I don't dance with them) - as well as other hand/arm accessories at dancing.

About 2 months ago, I had a nail half ripped off my finger by a lady's ring getting caught underneath and slicing it deep, hurt a lot and had to have it grow back before I could cut it down.Tonight a ring on a woman's finger sort of pulled out my nail and luckily it pinged back into place but it definitely lifted enough to hurt.
Let me say that I do NOT have long or even sticky-out nails and make sure they're cut before dancing.
Another person had a massive rock around her finger which cut the back of my hand, nothing major, but not pleasant either.

Bracelets and bangles are also pretty annoying, especially when doing moves like the Step In (or whatever its called) where your forearms touch - I've purposely stopped wearing a watch because I could see that it would sometimes hit the woman's arm pretty hard on faster songs.

Maybe its me being nitpicky but when women are wearing all these things on their hands, after so many 'injuries' dancing I feel more apprehensive about dancing with them and don't feel its particularly appropriate for anybody to be wearing lots of jewellery around their hands when dancing.

Am I alone in this and just being a moany bastard? Are there any official rules regarding jewellery in Ceroc?

NZ Monkey
3rd-December-2008, 02:53 AM
I've occasionally been scratched by rings before, particularly if the person wearing them has three on each finger, but nothing as bad as what you're describing.

That said, I used to wear a braclet myself until it caught in the ties of a bikini style top and undid it once. :devil:

David Franklin
3rd-December-2008, 09:16 AM
That said, I used to wear a braclet myself until it caught in the ties of a bikini style top and undid it once. :devil:So, where did you get this bracelet...? :wink:

Gav
3rd-December-2008, 09:47 AM
Am I alone in this and just being a moany bastard?

You're not alone. Some people consider others, some people don't. That's life and it's no different in the dance world.

martingold
3rd-December-2008, 10:01 AM
Am I alone in this and just being a moany bastard?
yes but your not alone most of the people on the forum are moany bastards :wink:

That said, I used to wear a braclet myself until it caught in the ties of a bikini style top and undid it once. :devil:

So, where did you get this bracelet...? :wink:
:yeah:you beat me to it david rep on its way

as for rings i am often getting cuts etc from the rich people i dance with who wear huge rocks
I used to wear a bracelet but that went when i caught a lady with it when doing the first move jump

Maxine
3rd-December-2008, 10:19 AM
:blush:Oh dear I think I may be one of the hated ones because I wear bracelets, anyone who dances with me give me feedback it they hurt you, I will have to remove them:tears:

StokeBloke
3rd-December-2008, 10:21 AM
If you find yourself dancing with someone wearing rings that catch, or bracelets, you could try changing your hold/moves to suit. This may work out better than the 'say a quick prayer and hope for the best' type approach.

I dance quite often with someone who is very well known on this forum. She wears a really catchy cheese grater of a ring on her hand. I have never mentioned it and I have never been caught by it, as I change my hand holds, avoid certain moves and lead slightly differently when I dance with her.

It's just about adapting yourself to the current situation.

emmylou25
3rd-December-2008, 10:32 AM
I try to avoid wearing extra jewellery when dancing because I find it's restrictive to me, as well as potentially hurting your partner. I do wear my engagement/wedding rings (but I only have a small stone) and a watch, but only find my rings a pain when they swizzle round (fairly rare as they get tighter when dancing as I get quite hot) so the stone's on my palm side.

I did once wear a bangle, but found it kept getting caught and then squashed when someone kept grabbing my wrist, so took it off and now avoid wearing anything else round my wrist. I also find a necklace can be annoying and dangly earrings but more so to me than a partner - I don't particularly want my earrings wrenched out, or a necklace breaking.

I just think there are some ladies who need to be more aware of what they're wearing when dancing as jewellery can be dangerous to others as well as them (shame cos usually it looks nice).

Having said that, there's also people who obviously aren't aware of the long nail issue which I find more of an issue when leading & following.

CheesyRobMan
3rd-December-2008, 10:44 AM
Having said that, there's also people who obviously aren't aware of the long nail issue which I find more of an issue when leading & following.

This is probably the worst one, especially if the lady (sorry, but it is usually a lady) with the long nails also uses the Lobster Claw Of Death. The only time I've had a problem with bracelets is during a cerocspin when you are meant to take hold of the lady's wrist, otherwise it doesn't seem to be much of an issue. I would say sharp nails are a much more common problem.

martingold
3rd-December-2008, 11:18 AM
:blush:Oh dear I think I may be one of the hated ones because I wear bracelets, anyone who dances with me give me feedback it they hurt you, I will have to remove them:tears:
I have never felt any pain while dancing with you maxine
Not felt your jewelery either :whistle:

If you find yourself dancing with someone wearing rings that catch, or bracelets, you could try changing your hold/moves to suit. This may work out better than the 'say a quick prayer and hope for the best' type approach.

I dance quite often with someone who is very well known on this forum. She wears a really catchy cheese grater of a ring on her hand. I have never mentioned it and I have never been caught by it, as I change my hand holds, avoid certain moves and lead slightly differently when I dance with her.

It's just about adapting yourself to the current situation.

I fully agree stokie
changing your hand hold can help although not when the ring reverses

Filthy Monkey
3rd-December-2008, 11:39 AM
I've never had a problem with women in bracelets, but rings are a serious bugbear of mine. I've had my fingers hurt too many times in the past when dancing with women wearing big rings. I'm not too keen on changing my hand hold, as most moves require a certain grip, so these days I'll just tell the woman that it hurts and ask if she wouldn't mind removing it. It's never been a problem and most women are quite apologetic about it...

tsh
3rd-December-2008, 11:41 AM
changing your hand hold can help although not when the ring reverses

just lead off their shoulder, and avoid the hand with a ring altogether.

NZ Monkey
3rd-December-2008, 11:44 AM
So, where did you get this bracelet...? :wink:Andrew Suttons' online supplies store. :wink:

Chef
3rd-December-2008, 12:16 PM
Maybe its me being nitpicky but when women are wearing all these things on their hands, after so many 'injuries' dancing I feel more apprehensive about dancing with them and don't feel its particularly appropriate for anybody to be wearing lots of jewellery around their hands when dancing.

Am I alone in this and just being a moany bastard? Are there any official rules regarding jewellery in Ceroc?

Yes. You are being a moany bastard. But getting injured by other dancers is, IMHO, something to moan about, especially as it is so needless.

Sharp fingernails combined with the claw of death grip are very effective at slicing out chunks of flesh.

Bangles are really good at getting little fingers trapped in, and broken.

Watch straps, especially the mens expanding link type are really good at scraping flesh and tearing out hair (eyebrows and eyelashes as well as head hair).

Rings are just sharp and uncomfortable and although as stokebloke says, you can alter your hand hold to minimise potential damage, sooner or later you ar going to lose a chunk of skin and leave a trail of blood around your partners dress. I understand that many people have rings of great emotional importance or sentimental value and would not feel able to remove them, but I have encountered dancers that put a bandage around them for their evenings dancing out of consideration of thier partners.

So why would I say that all these injuries are needless?

People really do not need to wear a watch while dancing - are they really going to look at during a dance? Take the darn thing off and put it in your bag and check it between dances. Got a very expensive watch? Leave it at home and put a cheap travel clock in your bag - it may not be waterproof to 50 metres but it will survive an average jive venue. In any case you will know when the time to leave has arrived - the music stops and you find yourself alone.

Sharp rings and bangles are just weaponry in my view and add nothing to the dancing except injury and fear of injury. They let me know that the person wearing them is not really serious about dancing and I consequently avoid these people like the plague. That may sound harsh but having sustained quite a number of these needless injuries over the years my desire to take the risk has diminished.

So my advice would be to check out which people have sratchy watches, bangles, or sharp rings, and make a mental note of them to avoid them. There will always be others to dance with. Is it really worth it to have a broken finger just for a dance?

Trouble
3rd-December-2008, 12:36 PM
If i want to wear a ring, i wear it on my left hand as this does not get used hardly as much.

But yes your right.. us girls should never get our rings out in the dance world. :whistle:

geoff332
3rd-December-2008, 12:42 PM
I never wear a watch or carry anything in my pockets when dancing. I do wear a ring, but I've never had problems with that. As well as keeping my nails trimmed. I put this on a par with showing and wearing deodorant before a class (if anything it's a little more important). It's important for my partner and important for myself.

As a general rule, I tend to notice that wearing a lot of jewellery is more common among the newer and less able dancers. That's not a perfect correlation, but as a general rule, it's not a bad guideline.

As well as jewellery, I often find clothing gets in the way - particularly tops with ties that get in the way.

Yes, you can avoid them by modifying your dancing, but it's another thing to worry about and something that can generally be avoided if people take a little consideration.

whitetiger1518
3rd-December-2008, 12:47 PM
I usually only wear one plain ish ring (on my left middle finger) and a similarly plain watch on my right wrist. If I dress up any further it will be with earrings or a necklace with not too long a chain. If I have hurt anyone with my jewellry please tell me and I will stop wearing the offending item:eek:

One thought - Anyone fond of the slow comb or other close moves might well lose their watch - My hair-do eats watches :lol:

Whitetiger

Gav
3rd-December-2008, 12:49 PM
It's very nice of everyone to adapt their dancing to suit their partners, however, as with dancing faults, if no-one ever tells them it's a problem, they'll never know and accidents will continue to happen...

FWIW, I've never had a problem with your jewellery. :hug:

so these days I'll just tell the woman that it hurts and ask if she wouldn't mind removing it. It's never been a problem and most women are quite apologetic about it...

See?

:respect:

Gav
3rd-December-2008, 12:56 PM
I never wear jewellery at all, so I don't have to have any special considerations for dancing :wink:.
I have got my shirt sleeve buttons caught in someone's hair though :blush:. I think it must've been her fault for not brushing it properly :D, or maybe I should take my shirt off before I dance? :cool:

I put this on a par with showing and wearing deodorant before a class

You have to show your deodorant before a class? They must be very strict where you dance! :eek:

martingold
3rd-December-2008, 01:07 PM
Sharp fingernails combined with the claw of death grip are very effective at slicing out chunks of flesh.

this is invariably the leads fault as the amount of people i see in a class who cant just move their hand so its never a fingernail grip
for example when i dance the catapult for the lean away with my hands behind my back i just reverse the normal flat hand hold that i usually use so my palm is still facing in and my thumb is pointing down instead of up this only allows the follow to hook her/his hand over the side of mine and not hook finger nails into my palm

Lory
3rd-December-2008, 01:09 PM
I hardly ever wear any rings for dancing, as it hurts 'my' fingers when men, for some reason have a habit of squeezing your fingers together :sick:

Also, they can get caught on mens shirts.

But my little bug bear is, rough cufflinks :angry: I can't tell you how much hair I've lost in them over the years :tears:

Gav
3rd-December-2008, 01:12 PM
this is invariably the leads fault

:rolleyes:

geoff332
3rd-December-2008, 01:17 PM
You have to show your deodorant before a class? They must be very strict where you dance! :eek:They don't ask me to - but I volunteer the information when walking in.

Is this unusual?

Double Trouble
3rd-December-2008, 01:42 PM
particularly if the person wearing them has three on each finger

Ooooh, classy.:waycool:

Double Trouble
3rd-December-2008, 01:50 PM
maybe I should take my shirt off before I dance?

Having a six pack doesn't make you Austin bleedin' Healy, you know. :rolleyes:

Moondancer
3rd-December-2008, 01:59 PM
I never wear any rings or bracelets for dancing, and take my (disposable) watch off - like Lory says, getting your hand squeezed hurts with a ring on. I already have a neat little scar at the base of one finger from leaving a small ring on inside boxing gloves and I don't want to repeat the experience. I also wear button or stud earrings not danglies for dancing.

My most lethal attribute is my hair, I think, which is long enough to take out someone's eyes. I either put in a bun or trap the end of my ponytail inside a neck chain. Then my problem is only when some men bash the bun when we're dancing so that it falls down! (Self inflicted pain for them if I end up with loose hair!)

Depending who I'm dancing with, I am sometimes tempted to put beads on the end of a plait, and let it swing... :devil:

Gadget
3rd-December-2008, 02:27 PM
I've accidentally 'pick pocket'-ed partner's watches and rings while dancing before :what:
I don't wear rings or necklace - personally I find bangles more annoying than rings because I tend to lead from any point between fingertip and shoulder.

I think that injury from partner's rings should be 100% avoidable by the lead, especially nails on rings as the initial post suffered: I can't think on any combination of hand grip or hand connection that would put the lead's nails close to the inside digit of the follower's hand - any leading/contact should be from the pads of the fingers or the edge of the index finger.
What hand/finger position (and move) caused it?

Danny
3rd-December-2008, 02:42 PM
So, where did you get this bracelet...? :wink: I'm glad someone else said it.
Though now I'm wondering if ladies are surreptitiously trying to remove my clothes...

But yes your right.. us girls should never get our rings out in the dance world. :whistle:O lawd.

As a general rule, I tend to notice that wearing a lot of jewellery is more common among the newer and less able dancers. That's not a perfect correlation, but as a general rule, it's not a bad guideline.I agree, though there'll always be the clueless few I suppose. Newer dancers also tend to wear those jumpers/cardigan type things that have large holes in them, hard to explain but they're great for getting your fingers caught in momentarily as you spin them.

And yep, there's one woman where I dance with incredibly long nails and she smiles sweetly as they sink into my palms...Shes well known amongst the men for being an nightmare anyways.

What hand/finger position (and move) caused it?
Honestly I can't remember, but it involves them being turned so that my fingers are in their hand as they spin.

In all this I'm probably being a hypocrite, I'm complaining about women when in fact, I have the nerve to ask a woman to dance and then proceed to dance with the grace of a monkey with one leg (monkeys are notoriously bad dancers), so the jokes on me I suppose.

martingold
3rd-December-2008, 02:51 PM
I have the nerve to ask a woman to dance and then proceed to dance with the grace of a monkey with one leg.
welcome to the forum :na:

Kel_Warminster
3rd-December-2008, 03:11 PM
I don't wear any rings when dancing, and now take my watch off as well, after the experience of getting a partner's metal watch strap caught in the lace trimming at the waist of my old favourite dress while he was performing a step-across....it tore the trimming from said dress and it was ruined :( Made me see the error of my ways!!

StokeBloke
3rd-December-2008, 03:13 PM
It's very nice of everyone to adapt their dancing to suit their partners, however, as with dancing faults, if no-one ever tells them it's a problem, they'll never know and accidents will continue to happen...
Dancing faults; you are starting to sound like Len Goodman mate! :D

If you adapt your to suit every partner you dance with, then it doesn't become a problem that they would need to be informed about. And let's face it, it's not the only reason for adapting the way you dance and interact with your partner, would you feel the need to inform them about all the other reasons too?

Me. I am just happy that these poor women let me dance with them at all. I'm not going to dash that chance in the future by trying to tell them how to accessorise :lol:

martingold
3rd-December-2008, 03:19 PM
If you adapt your to suit every partner you dance with, then it doesn't become a problem that they would need to be informed about. And let's face it, it's not the only reason for adapting the way you dance and interact with your partner, would you feel the need to inform them about all the other reasons too?

Me. I am just happy that these poor women let me dance with them at all. I'm not going to dash that chance in the future by trying to tell them how to accessorise :lol:

:yeah: to all of what you said stokie me old mate
I mean these poor women have to put up with enough just dancing with us mere men

ant
3rd-December-2008, 03:37 PM
If you adapt your to suit every partner you dance with, then it doesn't become a problem......

Hi Stokie, I think I agree with what you are saying now I am a few years down the line.

I did have problems with injuries from rings when I first started and suspect my grip was to tight and I was unable to adapt.

Therefore I do think that injuries because of the wearing of rings especially is a problem for less experienced dancers.

Why it is not such a problem now may not only be because you adapt better but because you tend to ask the more experienced ladies to dance, bearing in mind earlier comments that experienced lady dancers dont wear so much jewellery, I am not sure on this bit though.

The main problem I tend to find is bangles and those big fluffy rings that stop my hand movement down the arm or along the hand but thats no big deal and long hair generally flicking in my face but once it happens once I can then adapt.

Moondancer
3rd-December-2008, 05:13 PM
long hair generally flicking in my face but once it happens once I can then adapt.

So what is the deal on hair, guys? I look at some of the experienced dancers and wonder if their hair grows differently from mine, because if mine is in a ponytail but not restrained I have a few regular partners who duck when I spin (to remind me to tuck it in my neck chain). Yet some ladies dance with hair as long as mine and I don't see their partners ducking.

I do try to spot when I spin, so maybe that speeds up the hair whip, so maybe it is a bit eye-scouring on Cherry Poppin'...or is it just a height thing (I'm 5' 7½"")?

Huh - put me on your list of poor women to dance with! :flower: I certainly enjoyed my dance with you at Rugby, just the knowledge I'm a few leagues below you stops me asking you too often!

(I'd ask you about my hair but I put it up that night!)

martingold
3rd-December-2008, 05:25 PM
So what is the deal on hair, guys? I look at some of the experienced dancers and wonder if their hair grows differently from mine, because if mine is in a ponytail but not restrained I have a few regular partners who duck when I spin (to remind me to tuck it in my neck chain). Yet some ladies dance with hair as long as mine and I don't see their partners ducking.

I do try to spot when I spin, so maybe that speeds up the hair whip, so maybe it is a bit eye-scouring on Cherry Poppin'...or is it just a height thing (I'm 5' 7½"")?

we have a lady at chelmsford whose hair always spins into my face in a fast spin
tbh it really doesnt phase me at all we just laugh and get on with dancing

Huh - put me on your list of poor women to dance with! :flower: I certainly enjoyed my dance with you at Rugby, just the knowledge I'm a few leagues below you stops me asking you too often!

(I'd ask you about my hair but I put it up that night!)
ha yeah ok a few leagues below anyone on here
although i have never danced with you moondancer (i think) i feel you have a lot of knowledge when you comment about the dance and you certainly must think live and breathe it the same as most of us do

ant
3rd-December-2008, 05:40 PM
So what is the deal on hair, guys?

The problem with long hair and I am not sure whether it is in a ponytail or not, as I have not given it that much thought, just responding to thread really, is that it does whack you in the face occassionally, especially if you are not prepared for it.

I was going to say that it comes in the same category as being elbowed in the mouth or headbutted etc accidents we have all had, that are just part of the accepted risk in dancing.

Having thought about that though, is it possible to for ladies to organise there hair so that there is not a long tail coming round at your face when you spin?

StokeBloke
3rd-December-2008, 05:42 PM
Hi Stokie, I think I agree with what you are saying now I am a few years down the line.With age comes wisdom :lol:
Why it is not such a problem now may not only be because you adapt better but because you tend to ask the more experienced ladies to dance, bearing in mind earlier comments that experienced lady dancers dont wear so much jewellery, I am not sure on this bit though.If you are implying that I don't dance with inexperienced or new dancers.... you couldn't be further from the truth ant.

(I'd ask you about my hair but I put it up that night!)Leagues! There are leagues?! I just thought we went out and danced with each other for the pure pleasure of the fun you can have on the dancefloor. Please. Stop it with the whole leagues above/below thing. It really isn't important and it certainly isn't helpful in having fun - and that's what it's all about.

I loved the dance we had at Rugby. As for hair... there's something kind of fun about getting a ponytail lashing mid-dance. But again this is a great case for adaptive dancing. If as a lead you didn't like ponytails swishing you (which incidentally I do) then you lead less spins! Ta-da!

Rocket science it ain't :wink:

ant
3rd-December-2008, 06:02 PM
With age comes wisdom :lol:If you are implying that I don't dance with inexperienced or new dancers.... you couldn't be further from the truth ant.

Honestly Stokie I was not trying to imply anything.

I was just thinking that as we get more experienced the proportion of beginner dancers we dance with gets less and so the risk of getting hurt reduces.

Lory
3rd-December-2008, 06:11 PM
As for hair... there's something kind of fun about getting a ponytail lashing mid-dance. -

If as a lead you didn't like ponytails swishing you (which incidentally I do)

I think its one of those things, men either love it or hate it! :devil:

All I know is, mine's a lethal weapon in a ponytail :doh:.. its much softer when its loose! ;)

Little Monkey
3rd-December-2008, 06:13 PM
I've had hair pulled out by men's cufflinks, shirt buttons or watches several times, or had these things stuck in my hair. I've also had scratches on my arms from men's watches (blood and all!).

As for ladies, I don't like dancing with girls who wear bangles, as it's easy to get a finger trapped if you're not concentrating. Rings with big rocks are also a pet hate of mine. They don't bother me when I'm actually holding the lady's hand, as I normally use quite a loose, open handhold, but I've had scratches down my arms a few times, and on my hands. I think this mostly happens when you're trying to catch the lady's hand after a spin, and in other moves where there's a certain amount of speed and movement involved, and you're not actually holding on to the lady's hand.

I never wear rings or any form of bracelet or watch when dancing, as I don't want to draw blood on the dance floor. I am, however, still growing my hair so that I can get a lethal, eye-whipping pony tail! :devil:

StokeBloke
3rd-December-2008, 06:15 PM

All I know is, mine's a lethal weapon in a ponytail :doh:.. its much softer when its loose! ;)
Oppps! Now you know the reason for all those multi-spins Lory :blush:

LemonCake
3rd-December-2008, 06:46 PM
Sharp rings and bangles are just weaponry in my view and add nothing to the dancing except injury and fear of injury. They let me know that the person wearing them is not really serious about dancing ...

Pretzelmeister does drops which require a firm grip/hand-hold and a ring band which is very square digs into the fingers either side of the one on which I wear the ring. (I know, as I have one already). So when we were choosing an engagement ring that I plan to wear all the time and don't want to take off for dancing, we factored dance-comfort in. The criteria were not scratchy/sharp for a lead and not square-edged band for me. We were sufficiently concerned that when at an antiques fair we had narrowed the selection down to two rings, we found a space in the corner to test a few dance moves out with each ring - much to the amusement of the antiques dealers at nearby stalls!

End result: I have a beautiful engagement ring which is sparkly but not scratchy, comfortable to wear and no danger to anyone :awe:

However, is it being too serious about dancing to determine choice of an item as significant as an engagement ring around dancing? :blush:

Lory
3rd-December-2008, 07:03 PM
Oppps! Now you know the reason for all those multi-spins Lory :blush:
Multiple spins are always good! :devil:

gamebird
3rd-December-2008, 10:43 PM

I work on this theory too. I do occasionally put it in a pony tail - the only comments I get about it seem to be from the lovers, not the haters:wink:
( I do realise that this doesn't mean that all leaders like it but, as in a number of threads on here at the moment, if you tell me, I may blush and I'll certainly do something about it)

gamebird
3rd-December-2008, 10:49 PM
I also wear a number of rings but they are all smooth and without rocks. Hopefully no-one's had a problem with them either, as posted by others...if you don't like it let me know.

My pet hate are the leaders who seem intent on trying to remove the ring on my 3rd finger, right hand - even though I'm sure none of them would ever use thier thumbs while dancing!!!:doh:

ducasi
3rd-December-2008, 11:38 PM
... is it being too serious about dancing to determine choice of an item as significant as an engagement ring around dancing? :blush:
No, not at all.

Yliander
3rd-December-2008, 11:50 PM

I have long hair and friends have told me that my pony tail will hurt more when it hits a guy than long loose hair, pony tail is more whip like than loose hair ...

Moondancer
4th-December-2008, 11:41 AM
ha yeah ok a few leagues below anyone on here
although i have never danced with you moondancer (i think) i feel you have a lot of knowledge when you comment about the dance and you certainly must think live and breathe it the same as most of us do

:DYes, Martingold, I do live and breathe dancing! It took literally years for my linedance friends to persuade me to have a go; I was very reluctant and eventually only tried it because I thought it would improve my linedancing (see ‘live and breathe’). Having got into it, I can’t believe I didn’t listen to them earlier – they were so right! :doh: I’ve learnt a lot from this forum, and I’m working on improving all the time, so I do pay attention. I’m glad if that comes over!

Having thought about that though, is it possible to for ladies to organise there hair so that there is not a long tail coming round at your face when you spin?

Yes, you can put it in a bun (but that does get banged sometimes and therefore starts to fall out) or you can tuck your ponytail into a neck chain if it's long enough.

With age comes wisdom :lol:If you are implying that I don't dance with inexperienced or new dancers.... you couldn't be further from the truth ant.
Leagues! There are leagues?! I just thought we went out and danced with each other for the pure pleasure of the fun you can have on the dancefloor. Please. Stop it with the whole leagues above/below thing. It really isn't important and it certainly isn't helpful in having fun - and that's what it's all about.

I loved the dance we had at Rugby.

Well, I can definitely vouch for Stoke Bloke dancing with beginners because he’s been accepting dances from me on the odd times I’ve seen him since I started this lark (though I only realised it was him last Saturday). Leagues apart (sorry, can’t help seeing it a bit like that!) has never stopped me from asking him or anyone else, nor from enjoying the dancing no matter how challenging it has been. I loved our dance too - thank you!

I am, however, still growing my hair so that I can get a lethal, eye-whipping pony tail! :devil:

:devil:Little Monkey, for a really lethal ponytail, nipple length will work very well. I’ve inflicted just as much pain at that length as waist length, and slightly shorter is easier to tie away if you like your lead.

I’ve just had my hair thinned out drastically in the hope of making it more jive-friendly. I don’t know how anyone dances with long loose hair though – even when it’s straightened I find there’s too much of mine, it gets everywhere, and the weight of it makes it very hot on my neck. I suppose a lead would get more of a car-wash effect in the face than a whip though, but I suspect I would blind myself on fast dances. The odd time my bun has been completely knocked out and I’ve had to finish a dance with it down, I’ve been complimented on how much nicer my hair looks - right up until I’ve been spun!:lol:

Lory
4th-December-2008, 12:17 PM
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]Yes, you can put it in a bun (but that does get banged sometimes and therefore starts to fall out) or you can tuck your ponytail into a neck chain if it's long enough.
I've tried mine in a bun, I put enough pins in it to pick up radio Luxembourg but when I span fast, the pins started to fire out like missiles!

nipple length Is that nipple length with or without a bra? :rofl:

I suppose a lead would get more of a car-wash effect in the face than a whip though,
Yeah, I'm sure I mop up more than my fair share of sweat in mine :sick:

martingold
4th-December-2008, 01:45 PM
Is that nipple length with or without a bra? :rofl:

:lol::lol:

Moondancer
4th-December-2008, 01:49 PM
Is that nipple length with or without a bra? :rofl:

Well, it's the same for me... :whistle: (Is this going to trigger a 'perky' discussion?!)

I love the idea of the pins flying out - I nail my bun directly to my head.:wink:

martingold
4th-December-2008, 01:52 PM
Well, it's the same for me... :whistle: (Is this going to trigger a 'perky' discussion?!)
:what::blush:

Moondancer
4th-December-2008, 02:07 PM
:what::blush:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

martingold
4th-December-2008, 02:09 PM
:rofl::rofl::rofl:
i was wondering if we needed illustrations :whistle:

firefly
4th-December-2008, 04:27 PM
Pretzelmeister does drops which require a firm grip/hand-hold and a ring band which is very square digs into the fingers either side of the one on which I wear the ring. (I know, as I have one already). So when we were choosing an engagement ring that I plan to wear all the time and don't want to take off for dancing, we factored dance-comfort in. The criteria were not scratchy/sharp for a lead and not square-edged band for me. We were sufficiently concerned that when at an antiques fair we had narrowed the selection down to two rings, we found a space in the corner to test a few dance moves out with each ring - much to the amusement of the antiques dealers at nearby stalls!

End result: I have a beautiful engagement ring which is sparkly but not scratchy, comfortable to wear and no danger to anyone :awe:

:yeah: to an extent.

When we were choosing an engagement ring, we didn't specifically think about dancing, but definitely factored in comfort as I wasn't used to wearing a ring, but didn't plan on taking it off for most activities. End result: a ring with a low profile which seems to be very dance-friendly. However, if someone's danced with me and has been suffering in silence, please do let me know! :flower:

However, is it being too serious about dancing to determine choice of an item as significant as an engagement ring around dancing? :blush:

Not at all, I think it's entirely reasonable! :wink:

Twirly
4th-December-2008, 05:51 PM
When we were choosing an engagement ring, we didn't specifically think about dancing, but definitely factored in comfort as I wasn't used to wearing a ring, but didn't plan on taking it off for most activities. End result: a ring with a low profile which seems to be very dance-friendly. However, if someone's danced with me and has been suffering in silence, please do let me know!

:yeah:

Same here. I'm not keen on knuckle-duster rings anyway, and they don't suit me. So although I didn't conciously look for something suitable for dancing, my engagement ring sits quite flat to my hand.

Before that, I used to wear a diamond ring which was slightly more obtrusive on my middle finger of my left hand - my mother's engagement ring. I've not worn it much since Beo and I got engaged, though it is currently in residence on my right hand, as I don't want to leave it at home (we've got builders in at the moment :sick:). But I don't think it caused anyone any grief ever - at least I've never been aware of it, and it's not sharp at all. No-one seemed bothered when I wore it at the Beach Ballroom a couple of weeks ago.

I do have some dress rings that I wear dancing on my right hand sometimes, but both have smooth stones and again sit quite close to my hand, and only one has ever caused a problem. Still no idea how he did it, but my partner managed to slide his finger along mine and insert it into the ring as well :eyebrow: We both stood there in the middle of the dancefloor looking in bemusement at our inseperable hands and laughing :o

Have to confess that I do wear a sparkly bracelet on my left wrist sometimes, but it's stretchy, and I'm never aware of it having got caught up at all. If anyone does have a problem with it, do please let me know... as for other jewellery, short necklaces and clip-on earrings that don't interfere in the dance at all. Although I had to stop wearing dangly earrings as they have a tendency to fly off unexpectedly... last time my cleavage luckily acted as a catching mit, though I think my dance partner wondered why I suddenly started fishing around in there :what: :blush:

Moondancer
4th-December-2008, 06:15 PM
i was wondering if we needed illustrations :whistle:

The thing is, Martin, you wouldn't actually know whether I was illustrating 'naturally perky' or 'unnaturally perky' as you wouldn't be able to see through the curtain of hair :wink:...think 'modest mermaid' and you get the picture!

...though having said that, my new drastic haircut means that I would now be somewhat less of a modest mermaid...:devil:

StokeBloke
4th-December-2008, 06:26 PM
I've tried mine in a bun, I put enough pins in it to pick up radio Luxembourg but when I span fast, the pins started to fire out like missiles!
:lol: Thanks Lory, this really made me laugh, and also put me in mind of this... (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6PqZOVgF-so&feature=related) (Especially @ 3:13)
(http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6PqZOVgF-so&feature=related)

Filthy Monkey
4th-December-2008, 06:42 PM
To be honest, I don't find that the rock bothers me so much. The worst thing is getting my fingers caught on the actual ring itself, on the underside of the woman's finger, especially when it's quite a thick band...

Juju
4th-December-2008, 09:51 PM
We were sufficiently concerned that when at an antiques fair we had narrowed the selection down to two rings, we found a space in the corner to test a few dance moves out with each ring - much to the amusement of the antiques dealers at nearby stalls!

Aaaaaaaaaw, that's so sweet. :awe:

martingold
4th-December-2008, 11:08 PM
The thing is, Martin, you wouldn't actually know whether I was illustrating 'naturally perky' or 'unnaturally perky' as you wouldn't be able to see through the curtain of hair :wink:...think 'modest mermaid' and you get the picture!

...though having said that, my new drastic haircut means that I would now be somewhat less of a modest mermaid...:devil: gulp :flower: