PDA

View Full Version : LeRoc - what are the differences?

Phil_dB
2nd-December-2008, 09:56 AM
Just wondering what the differences are between LeRoc and Ceroc?

Is it just a different franchaise with moves being given slightly different names? Or a bit more of that? I was chatting to someone the other day who was telling me that there is more footwork involved in LeRoc and the moves are nicer?

What's the differences?

Alan Doyle
2nd-December-2008, 10:15 AM
Ceroc(R) is a trade mark registered to Ceroc Enterprises Ltd. Ceroc(R) is a dance company that teaches modern jive.
All Ceroc Teachers are memebers of the CTA (Ceroc Teachers Association), which is self regulated.

The LeRoc Modern Jive Federation is an organisation of independent teachers who teach Modern Jive.
The LeRoc teaching syllabus is ratified by the UKA (United Kingdom Alliance of Professional Dance Teachers), which is an internationally recognised teaching qualification and they also ratify the teaching syllabus for other dance styles as well.

Although I did investigate buying a Ceroc(R) Franchise, I decided to go the LeRoc route.

Dreadful Scathe
2nd-December-2008, 10:23 AM

The letter L and the uppercase R in the Roc part of LeRoc, which is sometimes considered cool by LeRocers who don't get out much.

Is it just a different franchaise with moves being given slightly different names? Or a bit more of that? I was chatting to someone the other day who was telling me that there is more footwork involved in LeRoc and the moves are nicer?

Most people who go to LeRoc are criminals and most people who go to Ceroc are out to get laid. Those are the main differences. I wouldn't want to generalise though, so there may be exceptions to that rule :)
To be serious for a second, I am partial to a cappuccino and your friend is bewildered :)

What's the differences?

are they is ? or is it are ? :)

David Bailey
2nd-December-2008, 10:59 AM

What's the differences?

From a dancing point of view, not a lot. You'll probably find more variance in LeRoc classes than Ceroc ones - so, probably some worse classes and some better ones.

The music, moves and dancing will be pretty similar.

tsh
2nd-December-2008, 11:08 AM
It's like asking what the difference is between PADI and BSAC for scuba training. Mostly it comes down to the individuals running the specific venue rather than the organisation.

martingold
2nd-December-2008, 11:14 AM
Ceroc(R) is a trade mark registered to Ceroc Enterprises Ltd. Ceroc(R) is a dance company that teaches modern jive.
All Ceroc Teachers are memebers of the CTA (Ceroc Teachers Association), which is self regulated.
I used to think this but according to several recent threads on here you can be an associate now as well as being an actual fully trained member
Having said that in ten years of dancing at ceroc, LeRoc, Le jive, Jive club and whatever else people call their dance clubs I have never met an untrained (even in house) Ceroc teacher. Whereas most other modern jive teachers i have met have been untrained (and dont have to be a member of the LMJF as laid out below)

The LeRoc Modern Jive Federation is an organisation of independent teachers who teach Modern Jive.
The LeRoc teaching syllabus is ratified by the UKA (United Kingdom Alliance of Professional Dance Teachers), which is an internationally recognised teaching qualification and they also ratify the teaching syllabus for other dance styles as well.

Although I did investigate buying a Ceroc(R) Franchise, I decided to go the LeRoc route.

philsmove
2nd-December-2008, 11:38 AM
Most people who go to LeRoc are criminals and most people who go to Ceroc are out to get laid. :)

It is of course, it is the other way round:popcorn:

Leroc is not a franchise system, but a trading name, used by many independents teaching Modern Jive, as David says, because of this, you will find a greater variation in teaching style but no variation in the dance itself . In my area, Ceroc seem to getting more Latin based than Leroc, so you may notice a difference in the Music

Someone from a Leroc background should have no problems at a Ceroc event and visa Vera

Phil_dB
2nd-December-2008, 11:58 AM
From a dancing point of view, not a lot. You'll probably find more variance in LeRoc classes than Ceroc ones - so, probably some worse classes and some better ones.

The music, moves and dancing will be pretty similar.

Thank-you! :D

The dance moves, music etc was all I was mainly interested in.

Alan Doyle
2nd-December-2008, 01:53 PM
I used to think this but according to several recent threads on here you can be an associate now as well as being an actual fully trained member
Having said that in ten years of dancing at ceroc, LeRoc, Le jive, Jive club and whatever else people call their dance clubs I have never met an untrained (even in house) Ceroc teacher. Whereas most other modern jive teachers i have met have been untrained (and dont have to be a member of the LMJF as laid out below)

There are a lot of untrained teachers using the LeRoc Name (because it's not protected) but the ones that are part of the LeRoc Federation are listed on the website: http://www.leroc.org.uk/members.htm

I've done the training (twice) but I haven't joined the Federation yet.

geoff332
2nd-December-2008, 02:25 PM
I wish LeRoc would publish more information on exactly what their accreditation involves. Specifically, what the required standards are for each level of membership (associate, full and examiner). It would be useful to know what standards LeRoc actually teaches to.

ISTD, for example, publishes the outline of the full syllabus, right from amatuer/social to the higher professional exams. This is the ballroom syllabus (in pdf) (http://www.istd.org/ballroom/syllabus/modballroom_syllabusoutll.pdf), if anyone's interested. It specifies what basic components need to be included at each level; it defines how a person is assessed on each level (this is divided into safety, technique, presentation, and musicality); and progression through the various stages. In practice, when you do a ballroom medal, you train in a set of routines that encapsulate the requirements for the level that you are being tested.

(A final note: this is not an attack: I'm fairly sure the LeRoc syllabus is very good; I just want to know what it is).

ant
2nd-December-2008, 03:05 PM
Thank-you! :D

The dance moves, music etc was all I was mainly interested in.

Hi Phil

I have some knowledge of your local Le Roc venue, Le RocSurrey, infact it is run by a fellow forumite, Colin who is Bluey? on the forum.

Almost all my knowledge is positive.

The Tuesday venue at Dorking is well presented. They have a well established team of good taxi dancers that are dedicated to helping beginners. A series of visiting teachers are used for the classes,again many are fellow forumites, simon r, Sinner and I think mikeyr so the teaching is first class. Bluey looks after the music so that is always solid.

But at the end of the day the proof of the pudding is in the eating, I can only speak for three of the freestyle venues, Leatherhead, Ashtead and Dorking but I have always found the dancing to be of a reasonably high standard and always have a good night. In fact on Saturday it was better than that with Sheepman being the DJ in the blues room it was an execptional night.

At the end of the day so long as the person running the venue is up to speed the Le Roc venue is always going to be that little bit more interesting to learn at as it can pull in good visiting teachers, or have slightly differnt music or just genereally stamp its own identity. However I think that if I did not know a venue and had a choice of a Ceroc or Le Roc venue, I would always go to a Ceroc venue because I think their quality control to a reasonable standard is better. In general the moves are the same, although they may classify their beginners and intermediate moves differently

Phil_dB
2nd-December-2008, 05:15 PM
Hi Ant,

sounds good - cheers for the info. I'm popping along tonight to Dorking Halls.., - I had a brief telephone conversation with Colin who told me that they have 100 - 180 along on Tuesdays, and have around 50 - 80 at the Friends Provident Social Club also in Dorking...

Cheers
Phil
:cheers:

ant
2nd-December-2008, 06:15 PM
..... I'm popping along tonight to Dorking Halls.., - I had a brief telephone conversation with Colin who told me that they have 100 - 180 along on Tuesdays, and have around 50 - 80 at the Friends Provident Social Club also in Dorking...

What you are saying about Dorking agrees with my understanding. I have never been to Friends Provident and the taxis I know have not spoken to me about it.

I hope you have a good time and lets know how things go.

Phil_dB
3rd-December-2008, 01:05 AM
Hi Ant,
nice big hall, pretty busy - not a huge amount of room to dance, - the intermediate lesson was taught by http://www.simonandnicole.com/ - & taught very well I thought, but the moves taught were pretty tough going, - the girls were saying that most blokes were struggling so you can probably imagine how a newbie like me got on with them. The music tonight dragged a bit, - quite a lot of smoochy numbers, and theatrical 'all the jazz' type tracks, which aren't particularly up my street...

A good night though, lots of very friendly people, some good dances - I'm sure i'll be trying out the other FPSC on the Monday sooner or later. :nice:

Did you go to Ashtead on Saturday night? Good night?

ant
3rd-December-2008, 02:18 AM
The music tonight dragged a bit, - quite a lot of smoochy numbers, and theatrical 'all the jazz' type tracks, which aren't particularly up my street...

A good night though, lots of very friendly people, some good dances - I'm sure i'll be trying out the other FPSC on the Monday sooner or later. :nice:

Did you go to Ashtead on Saturday night? Good night?

Thanks for letting me know.

Colin did come in for some criticism after the last Southport in relation to his music and I know what you mean by "all that jazz" type music. Personally I like it but I'm probabally a quite a bit older than you.

The people are friendly and the dance standard is fairly high.

I did go to Ashtead. I like their freestyles. Maybe we can meet when you feel up to going to one. Perhaps you can PM me when you are ready.

ant
3rd-December-2008, 10:00 AM
The music tonight dragged a bit, - quite a lot of smoochy numbers, and theatrical 'all the jazz' type tracks, which aren't particularly up my street...

Hi Phil_db
Your profile does not give your age but I am guessing you are one of the younger dancers (could be completely wrong).

The venues that tend to attract the younger dancers are ISH (Tuesday), Fulham (Thursday) and Casbah Kensington (slightly less, on Fridays), they are all Ceroc London venues.

They are normally very busy especially ISH and Fulham and the dance learning experience is slightly compromised as they normally get a load of beginners each week.

You might want to check them out if you can though.

marcusj
3rd-December-2008, 10:50 AM
I've only been to one LeRoc class, opposed to loads and loads of Ceroc classes, the LeRoc I went to in Cardiff appeared to be Ceroc Lite, no stage to teach on, no DJ with the teacher putting music on themselves from CDs on a poor sound system - on the plus side it was very friendly and I enjoyed the evening.

Minnie M
3rd-December-2008, 04:20 PM
......Colin did come in for some criticism after the last Southport in relation to his music and I know what you mean by "all that jazz" type music. Personally I like it but I'm probabally a quite a bit older than you......

I am a almost regular at Colin's Dorking Tuesday classes - I just love the hall and the fact that there is NEVER a problem with parking is fab ! (massive car park behind the venue)

The standard is quite good, very good for weekday classes, and the natives are very friendly (I also like their Chill-Out area, including the home made cakes at the bar) - last night's DJ was John Miller, who is very popular with the local dancers (he has is own monthly dances in Gt. Bookham)

I LOVE :respect: Colin's music, just wish he would DJ himself more often !

ant
3rd-December-2008, 04:43 PM
last night's DJ was John Miller
I LOVE :respect: Colin's music, just wish he would DJ himself more often !

Thanks for pointing that out Minnie.:worthy:

My apologies to Colin.

I also like John Miller's music, The Barn is one of my favourite venues.

Toasti
4th-December-2008, 01:20 AM
In my area, Ceroc seem to getting more Latin based than Leroc, so you may notice a difference in the Music

In my area there's a LeRoc venue where the teacher has a latin background so it's the other way round...

Someone from a Leroc background should have no problems at a Ceroc event and visa Vera

QED!!! :D

I Modern Jived for nearly three years without knowing who the heck either of these organisations were and it's still all just MJ to me! :sick::nice:

Phil_dB
4th-December-2008, 06:53 PM
Hey Ant,

thanks for the info regarding those younger crowd venues, - not often I pop into London, but good to know for the off-chance i'm around those areas.

Yes, I'll let you know when I'm ready for a Saturday nigher! Oh, and i'm 33 btw :)

cheers
Phil