PDA

View Full Version : Negracha this Friday 5th Dec

LilyB
2nd-December-2008, 02:52 AM
The popular Negracha Tango Club in Holborn is celebrating it's 4th anniversary this Friday. A group of forumites led by our very own David Bailey will be going along. Everyone else welcome to join us. For details, see:
http://www.negrachatangoclub.com/4th%20Aniversary.htm

David Bailey
2nd-December-2008, 11:23 AM
I thought you couldn't make it?

Anyway. yes - it's more Ken's thing than mine, but I'll definitely be there.

If you're interested* there's a FaceBook group "Let's Go To Negracha's", here:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=19853725859
- let me know if you want to join.

We meet downstairs, usually on the first sofa - I suspect we may spill out onto several more on Friday, it should be a good turnout.

And Ken's baking a cake even as we speak :)

* that is, for everyone but Lily who hates FaceBook :)

Zebra Woman
2nd-December-2008, 11:36 AM
Kate and I are coming :grin:

See you there Lily!

Lory
2nd-December-2008, 11:37 AM
I'm coming! :na:

philsmove
2nd-December-2008, 11:56 AM
Sorry, going to Gloucester Nu Tango thingy

rubyred
2nd-December-2008, 12:15 PM
Sorry, going to Gloucester Nu Tango thingy

Please tell us more about this new tango thingy Phil, thanks

Negrachas on Friday
My friend Linda and I will be going, Linda is from Yorkshire, and dances MJ as well, she is not on the forum or facebook, I am sure she will receive a lovely welcome from all the jive/tango people. Ant:hug: is putting up with us, er I mean putting us up. We are really looking forward to our weekend of tango in the big smoke, going to the Crypt on Sat and a meal at The Kolossi Grill beforehand.:nice:

philsmove
2nd-December-2008, 12:30 PM
Please tell us more about this new tango thingy Phil, thanks

:

from John Baker

Strictly Ceroc Two Room Freestyle at the Churchdown Community Centre, Churchdown, Gloucester. Licensed bar and ample free parking.
Special Guest Teacher Roy Asaga Power with a Smooth Blues Class at 8-15pm.
Main Room : The music will be a mix of uptempo modern jive tracks with the emphasis on funky and energetic.
Second Utopia Room : The music will be the best in ,Blues, smooth latin, Nu tango, west coat swing , soul and R & B sounds.
You can wander freely between both rooms.
Doors open 8-00pm dancing through to 11-45pm

David Bailey
2nd-December-2008, 12:57 PM
from John Baker
Blimey, it's a bit of a stretch to call it a nu tango thing.

Not to mention the horrible abuse of the English language with the word "Nu" :tears:

philsmove
2nd-December-2008, 01:37 PM
Blimey, it's a bit of a stretch to call it a nu tango thing.

Not to mention the horrible abuse of the English language with the word "Nu" :tears:

THINGY not thing

so how is it spelt ?
and what does it mean?
somthing to do with young 21yr stick insect types?

David Bailey
2nd-December-2008, 02:39 PM
THINGY not thing
Sorry :blush: :na:

so how is it spelt ?
It's not, it's a made-up thing(y).

Some people use it as a trendy stylish name for music, but the proper term is "Neo Tango". That's the music played by Gotan Project, Tanghetto, Carlos Libewhatsit, that sort of thing - basically, the stuff played downstairs at Negracha (blimey, going on-topic there for a second :D ).

So I guess that's probably what the description refers to.

There's a good article on neo tango music here:
http://www.sharnafabiano.com/ar-neotango.html

somthing to do with young 21yr stick insect types?
Cor, someone actually reads that stuff :what:

Jay Jay
2nd-December-2008, 05:06 PM
I'm going......bit out of my depth I feel, but it is a lovely atmosphere and I should be able to get a dance or three oh and a bit of cake :wink:

LilyB
2nd-December-2008, 09:49 PM
I thought you couldn't make it?
Well, your powers of persuasion are legendary ...

... If you're interested* there's a FaceBook group "Let's Go To Negracha's", here:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=19853725859
- let me know if you want to join. ...

* that is, for everyone but Lily who hates FaceBook :)
Lawyers have suspicious minds ...

ant
3rd-December-2008, 02:28 AM
Lawyers have suspicious minds ...

Don't tell me your brainy as well as beautiful. :flower:

Life just isn't fair

See on Friday for that Tango dance I nearly got on Sunday.

rubyred
3rd-December-2008, 03:47 AM
Carlos Libewhatsit,

Carlos Libedinsky:whistle:...........:blush: but I am having trouble sleeping tonight, on my second cup of cocoa now :doh:

rubyred
3rd-December-2008, 04:21 AM
P.S is someone bringing a camera, we want pictures afterall for tagging:flower:

ant
3rd-December-2008, 09:44 AM
P.S is someone bringing a camera, we want pictures afterall for tagging:flower:

If you ask Jay Jay nicely, she will normally oblige.

Lory
3rd-December-2008, 10:09 AM
If you ask Jay Jay nicely, she will normally oblige.
I'll bring mine, Jay Jay seems to have an aversion to feet :whistle::wink:

Jay Jay
4th-December-2008, 03:28 PM
I'll bring mine, Jay Jay seems to have an aversion to feet :whistle::wink:

I am over my feet phobia and shaky hand syndrome, and for the price of a piece of cake like Ant said I am happy to oblige :grin:

Zebra Woman
4th-December-2008, 07:34 PM
I am over my feet phobia and shaky hand syndrome, and for the price of a piece of cake like Ant said I am happy to oblige :grin:

Brilliant news I think Puddy Tat and I will be wanting to have our feet photographed.

In close up :drool:

See ya there

ZW x

Jay Jay
5th-December-2008, 02:42 AM
Brilliant news I think Puddy Tat and I will be wanting to have our feet photographed.

In close up :drool:

See ya there

ZW x

I know why, you are just trying to make me jealous by making me look at your new Tango shoes and remind me that I still haven't got a pair :tears: ..... but don't worry the deed will be done :)

rubyred
5th-December-2008, 02:59 AM
The Northern girls i.e Linda and Rubyred, just in case you forgot who we were:rolleyes:, have had a little warm up at Wilmslow:nice: and have to say that Toasti you looked absolutely fantastic dancing tango, great style and poise at Tango Cheshire. Linda and I are so looking forward to the next stage of our tango weekend in the big smokie. See you all tomorrow night at Negrachas.

Lots of love

Linda and Rubyred

xxxxxx

ant
5th-December-2008, 04:58 AM
I know why, you are just trying to make me jealous by making me look at your new Tango shoes and remind me that I still haven't got a pair :tears: ..... but don't worry the deed will be done :)

Jay Jay maybe this will help?

NEW COMME IL FAUT COLLECTION ShoeView

THIS SUNDAY 7 DECEMBER

Dance Matrix Tango @ The Southgate Club, Crown Lane, Southgate, London N14
5EN

ant
5th-December-2008, 05:04 AM
Still, it's nice that Marc thinks we will make it to Negrachas. Reaaally hoping to come this time, but I'll be working late tomorrow so we'll have to see how things go - if it's anything like today (still at work now), then there's no chance.
Rachel

But you must come.

How can you possibally consider depriving us of your company?

Lory
6th-December-2008, 12:34 PM
Well, what a fabulous night!!!

The atmosphere was wonderful! Some people have said that this place can be intimidating but in all honesty, I've found it one of the most welcoming and friendly places i've ever been!

I can't believe how many people I knew there from MJ, there must have been at least 30, some of whom I didn't even know did AT?

The cabaret was awesome. I've got two dances on film and just watched them back on my big TV :really::worthy:

There were dancers there of all standards and extremely varying styles. It really made me realise something... there's no 'absolute right or wrong' way, people develop different styles and I find I click with some, more than others and finding out which ones, is all part of the fun!

Oh yeah, I broke the rules too, I asked a couple of men :devil: and thankfully both times received warm responses and both asked me for a second dance.

I still can't stand the music upstairs :sick: but the dancers up there are brilliant to watch.
Downstairs we had some very ODD music choices IMO but it all seemed to add to the fun.

A big thank you to David for driving and to Ken for the lovely Xmas cake.

LilyB
6th-December-2008, 01:54 PM
Well, what a fabulous night!!!:yeah:

The cabaret was awesome.:yeah::worthy:

A big thank you to ... Ken for the lovely Xmas cake.:yeah::flower:

And a huge thank you to all the guys who very kindly hauled .. er .. helped me round the dance floor. :hug:

Jay Jay
6th-December-2008, 04:02 PM
:awe::awe::awe: Another lovely evening at Negracha's, thank you for all the lovely dances, I hope they felt as good for you as they did for me. Thank you Ken, the cake was :drool:, anytime you need a taster I'm available :grin: Will put all the photos up soon.

It was even worth walking back to my car and driving home barefoot as someone had taken my shoe bag with my 'street' shoes in! SO if anyone has my black pumps I have some red/black dance shoes waiting to be re-homed.

David Bailey
6th-December-2008, 06:54 PM
Great evening - lively, busy, lots of people to dance with, lots of cake.

My only whinge would be that the music downstairs was on occasion a bit weird. Well, very weird. Elvis? :what:

I nominate Kymme / ZW for STDJ slots at the next meet. :waycool:

Mary
6th-December-2008, 11:48 PM
Well, I went to Negracha's last night and.................was really pleasantly surprised by what a good night I had! I would especially like to thank all those lovely guys for propping me up while I teetered around on my heels (yes, I actually wore heels!). Unfortunately I left my 'heels' for (ahem) someone else to take home who then had to go home barefoot.:blush:

Ken, thanks for the cake, which really added to the party atmosphere. Sadly I missed the cabaret, and there's only one person I can blame for that, however it would have been tough to drag myself away to watch it.:wink:

I came home feeling all warm and fuzzy from being able to join in with the LGTN's little group. Thanks everyone. :hug:

M

David Bailey
7th-December-2008, 03:59 PM
Some photos (contributed by a few people) here:

http://www.jivetango.co.uk/Articles/Negrachaphotos.html

rubyred
8th-December-2008, 01:34 AM
A really lovely evening, which was made so much nicer by the lovely people from the jive world turning up and sharing the laughs, the passion, beautiful music and ........cake!!!:nice:

ant
8th-December-2008, 03:30 PM
Negrachas was awesome.:respect:

I just love neuvo Tango and the chance to dance that genre of Tango with so many Jivers in a Neuvo Tango environment unique. Lovely dances with Bibi, Jay Jay, LilyB, Lory, Mary, Rachel, Ruby Red and all the other jivers on our facebook group that turned up to make it so exciting. Shame to miss, ZW and Kate, who staying up stairs for the more traditional style.:flower:

And a big thank you to Warren (Dance Inspired), DB, Kymme and Ken (also for the cake) for arranging such a marvellous evening. I am really looking forward to the next one.:worthy:

ant
9th-December-2008, 01:25 AM
Someone mentioned to me tonight that Negracha will be open to 5:00 am from January.

Does anybody know if this is true?

If it is true does this mean that the LGTN meet will also end at 5:00 am?

Mary
9th-December-2008, 01:30 AM
Someone mentioned to me tonight that Negracha will be open to 5:00 am from January.

Noooooooo. I will end up looking like my avatar. I'm afraid I really do suffer from the law of diminishing returns.

ant
9th-December-2008, 01:48 AM
Noooooooo. I will end up looking like my avatar. I'm afraid I really do suffer from the law of diminishing returns.

Don't worry darling if it gets that bad you can always fall asleep on my shoulder. :sleep:

By the way are we still on for Boxing Day at The Sugar Shack?

Jay Jay
9th-December-2008, 02:07 AM

I am sure it was mentioned after the 'show' upstairs that they had extended the hours and if it finishes at 5 I will do my utmost to keep up.......can't promise tho :nice:

Lory
9th-December-2008, 10:26 AM
I am sure it was mentioned after the 'show' upstairs that they had extended the hours and if it finishes at 5 I will do my utmost to keep up.......can't promise tho :nice:
:yeah: Definitely heard 'Ali G' mention it! :D

Mary
9th-December-2008, 11:06 AM
Don't worry darling if it gets that bad you can always fall asleep on my shoulder. :sleep:

By the way are we still on for Boxing Day at The Sugar Shack?

At least I can reach your shoulder. :wink:

And you betcha. :clap:

M