PDA

View Full Version : The Price of Tango

philsmove
1st-December-2008, 05:56 PM
So how much do you pay to Tango?

This Weekend In the Bristol, Bath, SE Wales area,

There was a 3 hour Practica for £3

A one hour lesson followed by a one hour Practica and a three hour Milonga for £10

And a two hour lesson followed by a two hour Practica for £12

3 hours of workshop and a 4 hour of Milonga with Performance for £38

For Value for money, you cannot beat Tango mango, £45 for a whole week including all day tea coffee or water
Even if you add on the cost of two meals a day and workshops, you will still have change from £200, for 6 days of tango

robd
1st-December-2008, 06:11 PM
You mean people actually pay to walk round and round a dancefloor looking miserable? :confused:

David Bailey
1st-December-2008, 06:13 PM
You mean people actually pay to walk round and round a dancefloor looking miserable? :confused:
It's worse than that - we often pay to simply watch people walking around a dancefloor looking miserable. :lol:

Astro
1st-December-2008, 06:42 PM

It's worse than that - we often pay to simply watch people walking around a dancefloor looking miserable. :lol:

I didn't realise until yesterday that Tango can be danced to 'non Tango' music. :nice:

rubyred
1st-December-2008, 07:18 PM
I didn't realise until yesterday that Tango can be danced to 'non Tango' music. :nice:

Oh yes Astro that is true, check out Sugarfoot's play list and the one covered by David Bailey, beautiful music to tango to which would be considered mainstream chart material, for example Dido.

On the matter of money, £5 for lesson and Milonga at Manchester and Cheshire Tango . I have just spent £20 for two, two hour workshops next January covering women's basic tecnique and decorations classes, should add also that the class is limited to 12 so more opportunity for some individual attention. Tango balls can vary between £7, 10 and 15 but the higher end price may include a very substantial buffet, live band, which was my experience at Tango Cheshire on Saturday.

Why? why? oh why though does the dancing have to end so early, I am really looking forward to Negrachas and dancing until 3am, I much prefer to go out for around 10pm and stay out until the early hours dancing. :flower:

David Bailey
1st-December-2008, 09:07 PM
You'd be amazed :) - well, I certainly wasn't going to dance WCS or some such rubbish was I? :wink: - thanks for the dances by the way.

jivecat
1st-December-2008, 09:18 PM
£3 for a 2 hour practica

£6 for a 1.5 hour class plus 1 hour social dancing

£5 to £7 for a 3 hour milonga (plus food!)

£25 for a 55min private lesson with a quality teacher

£6 for a 1 hour workshop at the Mango

£10 to £12 for a 1 hour workshop elsewhere

£15 for a tango all-nighter

Generally better value on the face of things than an MJ event, especially the private lessons. However, tango freestyles are not as well attended and don't offer the choice of partner that you would expect at an MJ event, so you may pay less money but have less dancing.

ant
1st-December-2008, 10:33 PM
Originally Posted by Jivecat
£25 for a 55min private lesson with a quality teacher

Couldn't give me any details please. Quality teachers I have found in London are £35 - £50 per hour.

Originally Posted by Jivecat
However, tango freestyles are not as well attended and don't offer the choice of partner that you would expect at an MJ event, so you may pay less money but have less dancing

For Milongas I go to Negreacha (£12) on til 3:00am includes 2 hour lesson, Crypt (£8-£10) includes 11/2 hrs of lessons and Cambridge (£2 - £7) one hour of lesson and 3 1/2 hours of dancing. Although there are less people you do, do 3-4 tracks in succession with the same partner and generally there is no problem going back for another set. So I find you do get the volume of dance but just not the variety of partner.

For most of my learning I go to the Dance Factory but I got a blinding deal from the geezer that owned the place before he sold out. I paid £350 for a year and get 3 one hour group lessons a week with on average 2 hour practicas for each. Plus I can go to classes for 4 other dance types and attend the gym whenever I want.

Having said all that I think the pure group Tango classes in Central London are extortionate. If you want to attend say 2 one hour classes you are going to pay the best part of £15 and usually there are no practicas.

My general feeling is MJ has a narrower range of prices and venues and programmes are all very similar. Whereas Tango has a whole rag tag and bobtail of places, many with a unique atmosphere that seem to hit the mark for me and if you search around you can generally find some good deals but you can also end up spending big money.

I think the best value for money in London is Latin and Ballroom. You can find a venue for £3-£4 for four hours of dancing nearly every day in London and they are invaribally the best venues as well.

rubyred
1st-December-2008, 11:17 PM
£15 for a tango all-nighter

Thank you for the comparisons jivecat:flower:

When you say a tango all - nighter what time do you dance to ?

Astro
2nd-December-2008, 12:38 PM
You'd be amazed :) - well, I certainly wasn't going to dance WCS or some such rubbish was I? :wink: - thanks for the dances by the way.

No, thankyou. You are a great teacher David. :worthy:

Trousers
2nd-December-2008, 01:08 PM
£1.99 for a six pack at ASDA

I only like the Orange one, Apple drinks what's that all about?

Swinging bee
2nd-December-2008, 02:55 PM

Been running Milongas for quite some time now, there is some cracking neo and electronic tango music about, this together with all sorts of music that you would never dream of as tangoable.... In our 4 hour Milonga last Saturday, not a single old style 'scratchy' track was played. to my surprise not a single complaint from the traditionists.. Search the net, it's all out there...

ant
2nd-December-2008, 03:54 PM
.... this together with all sorts of music that you would never dream of as tangoable...

I heard at the last TangoTank (a Tango weekender) that they were dancing Tango to Rolling Stones tracks on the last night (the Neo Tango night)

jivecat
2nd-December-2008, 06:15 PM
Thank you for the comparisons jivecat:flower:

When you say a tango all - nighter what time do you dance to ?

They have quarterly all-nighters at Cambridge. They dance until 5am, I believe - I haven't gone so far as to attend one!

Couldn't give me any details please. Quality teachers I have found in London are £35 - £50 per hour.
I had a private lesson at the Mango in October for £25. However, they are now going up to £30, I gather. I use the term "quality teacher" rather loosely - I have had lessons with visiting American teachers and they were very good, but I haven't enough experience of tango teachers to work out exactly how good.

In our 4 hour Milonga last Saturday, not a single old style 'scratchy' track was played. to my surprise not a single complaint from the traditionists.. Well, of course, I wasn't there......:wink: