PDA

View Full Version : Forum's back! Sorry it took so long...

Franck
15th-November-2008, 12:55 AM
Thanks to everyone for your patience and the encouraging / entertaining messages you sent me...

Please let me know if anything is still broken.

As I had to restore from backup, we will have lost a few posts (mostly from Monday); I'm sorry if that was your best post ever, maybe you can try again :wink: .

Gojive
15th-November-2008, 01:24 AM
Thanks to everyone for your patience and the encouraging / entertaining messages you sent me...

So err, you got that sheep's head I sent you in anger?....sorry, it was sent purely out of frustration :blush::D

Please let me know if anything is still broken. The towel rail in my bathroom's still kaputt :devil:

As I had to restore from backup, we will have lost a few posts (mostly from Monday); I'm sorry if that was your best post ever, maybe you can try again :wink: .

They say you're only as good as your last post.....that leaves me a nothing man :tears:

Seriously though, thanks for all your efforts to resurrect normal service. Having been in IT for 25 years, I know just what it's like when things go titicus verticus!

killingtime
15th-November-2008, 01:39 AM
It's alive!

Dreadful Scathe
15th-November-2008, 01:52 AM
moo - let the cattle stampede recommence :)

Filthy Monkey
15th-November-2008, 02:14 AM
Woohoo!!! We can start living again :yum:

Andy McGregor
15th-November-2008, 08:31 AM
We've all had to cope with the real world for the last few days - I'm not sure it was ready :innocent:

stewart38
15th-November-2008, 09:51 AM
It would have been nice to have had an e-mail or something soon after it happen ?

36 hours in and no response to my 2 e-mails it was still a mystery. Was it my PC etc ?

Maybe something for the future

Nice to see its back and i ts wo..ork i n g fin e :grin:

gamebird
15th-November-2008, 10:01 AM
Well done to all the tech-gnomes who got this back up and running again - and Thank-you

(Though I am slightly embarassed that I missed it quite as much as I did:blush: - what else did I do on my computer before I joined this blinkin forum???)

stewart38
15th-November-2008, 10:25 AM

I put a post about who really killed J F K , hell of a surprise with original film footage ?

If I get time will post it again

bigdjiver
15th-November-2008, 10:59 AM
It would have been nice to have had an e-mail or something soon after it happen ?

36 hours in and no response to my 2 e-mails it was still a mystery. Was it my PC etc ?

Maybe something for the future

Nice to see its back and i ts wo..ork i n g fin e :grin:We need a quivering in the corner suffering withdrawal symptoms smilie. (Wow! Spell check :respect:)

My guess is too few hands and too many members for an email, but a "Watch this space" home page would have been nice. I wasted a lot of time thinking it was something my end, and worried it might have been something really disastrous at the forum end.

Maxine
15th-November-2008, 11:19 AM
I am so happy I can cancel my place at forum rehab, the withdrawal symptoms were so bad.

But on a positive side it made me more sociable this week like eating lunch with my colleagues instead of sitting on the computer and talking to my family. Anyway back to normal life now thanks FrancK

Lory
15th-November-2008, 11:41 AM
I thought it was quite funny, everytime I logged onto Facebook and had messages of desperation!

Ahh life is back to normal now :clap:

Gerry
15th-November-2008, 11:46 AM
I seemed to have lost some of my privileges eventhough I received an e-mail saying my membership fees were about to be taken from my a/c

Beowulf
15th-November-2008, 11:59 AM
As a serial forum admin / webmaster myself I know how problematic these things can be.

I've had to burn the midnight oil on a number of occasions where I've frantically been rebuilding SQL databases and rebuilding forum posts from fragments of corrupt data. It's amazing how quickly a problem like this teaches you about Cron jobs and Backups ;)

:respect: to Franck and his troupe of highly trained Net-Goblins!

philsmove
15th-November-2008, 12:11 PM
While the forum has been down

I’v done the weeding

Washed (and polished) the car

Written, all my thank you letters

Done the washing up (and the ironing)

Cleaned (and polished) the windows

Done the shopping (and put some money in the charity box)

Compacted and repaired the hard drive (and backed it up)

Eaten all my greens

Practiced my Ochos

Cleaned my teeth

I have even done some work (and paid my bills)

Thank goodness normallity has been restored

Villemo
15th-November-2008, 12:22 PM
Thank you, Franck :flower:
We all feel much better now, and other than chocolate, there's no help against forum-withdrawls :innocent:

stewart38
15th-November-2008, 12:22 PM
We need a quivering in the corner suffering withdrawal symptoms smilie. (Wow! Spell check :respect:)

My guess is too few hands and too many members for an email, but a "Watch this space" home page would have been nice. I wasted a lot of time thinking it was something my end, and worried it might have been something really disastrous at the forum end.

A simple e-mail shot would be easy, it was done after 2 days

I notice for last few weeks I got 'timed out' for more then I use to. I put that down to the 'upgrades'. Maybe something more sinister ?

DavidY
15th-November-2008, 12:55 PM
A simple e-mail shot would be easy... not if all the email addresses are stored in the same database as the rest of the forum, if the database was the part that was broken.

Lou
15th-November-2008, 02:04 PM
... not if all the email addresses are stored in the same database as the rest of the forum, if the database was the part that was broken.
To be fair, there was a fair bit of communication on Facebook about how Franck's restore was going. Seemed like a great way of getting the information out there, without having to rely on getting anything out of the forum. :flower:

Astro
15th-November-2008, 03:35 PM
We've all had to cope with the real world for the last few days - I'm not sure it was ready :innocent:

It's exhausting for sure. :sleep:

I haven't had a night in since Sunday and I'm out again tonight.

Laughalot Bear
15th-November-2008, 04:11 PM
Lee was so pleased he rang me especially to let me know and I hardly come on here !!!!! :love: He then brought celebration cakes from the local baker.

Lee Bartholomew
15th-November-2008, 04:30 PM
Lee was so pleased he rang me especially to let me know and I hardly come on here !!!!! :love: He then brought celebration cakes from the local baker.

and I wet myself.

Twirly
15th-November-2008, 05:44 PM
Well done for the restore Franck... but I'm sure that there must be easier ways of stopping everyone arguing than taking the forum down for a few days :na:

Brian Doolan
15th-November-2008, 06:43 PM
Was the forum down? :D

Somebody doing clean up and went a bit too far ??

Jay Jay
15th-November-2008, 08:32 PM
Hey....so pleased forum is back in action. Having had the spare time to get on with mundane chores I can get back to wasting time on the word games :wink:

...but lost a couple of PMls that were waiting for me and some 'reps' that I had been given :tears::tears::tears:, so please don't think I am being rude if I haven't responded :grin:

Maxine
15th-November-2008, 08:44 PM
Hey....so pleased forum is back in action. Having had the spare time to get on with mundane chores I can get back to wasting time on the word games :wink:

...but lost a couple of PMls that were waiting for me and some 'reps' that I had been given :tears:so please don't think I am being rude if I haven't responded :grin:

Same here Jay Jay, I’ve lost PMs, reps (feels like I’ve been given a negative rep :tears:and worse still, I finally get round to starting a thread (Bliss – Aftermath)and that’s gone :doh:

PS mundane tasks still await a week just isn't enough to get me motivated to do those:blush:

Lynn
16th-November-2008, 03:20 PM
Great that the Forum is back. :D

But what has happened to the 'Recent posts' search? It now only searches the past day.:( I used to use that a lot for recent threads (past few days) that I wanted to go back and post on but had no new posts since I last looked at them.

Georgious dancer
16th-November-2008, 03:51 PM
At last I can get back to procrastinating rather than actually working!

Lory
16th-November-2008, 04:02 PM
Great that the Forum is back. :D

But what has happened to the 'Recent posts' search? It now only searches the past day.:( I used to use that a lot for recent threads (past few days) that I wanted to go back and post on but had no new posts since I last looked at them.

Unfortunately, as Franck explained, some of the 'recent posts' were lost altogether, in 'The Big Forum Disaster of 2008' due to the fact he had to back up from an earlier date. So this might explain it.

It should start to get back to normal within the next few days :)

DavidY
16th-November-2008, 04:13 PM
But what has happened to the 'Recent posts' search? It now only searches the past day.:( If I look at the "Recent" link at the top of the page, it's linking to:

http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/search.php?do=getdaily&days=3

So 3 days' search in other words- which I think is what it was before.

I'm using "Ceroc Orange" - maybe it's different in other views?

Lynn
16th-November-2008, 05:14 PM
Unfortunately, as Franck explained, some of the 'recent posts' were lost altogether, in 'The Big Forum Disaster of 2008' due to the fact he had to back up from an earlier date. So this might explain it.

It should start to get back to normal within the next few days :)Great! Thanks for explaining Lory.:flower:

stewart38
17th-November-2008, 12:39 PM
It should start to get back to normal within the next few days :)

I dont think its been 'normal' since the changes

I get kicked out after 3/4 mins (if its idle) that never use to happen

Is that a new security thing ?

foxylady
17th-November-2008, 01:16 PM

Is that a new security thing ?

I think that means you haven't clicked the 'remember me' box when you logged in. You should only have to do it the first time but I guess it may be another setting that has been 'lost' in the BFD2008.

Astro
17th-November-2008, 01:20 PM

What you need is a power kettle. :wink: