PDA

View Full Version : St Andrews on Wednesdays

John S
14th-November-2003, 02:06 PM
Just in case any forum readers don't know,although the official Ceroc night has closed in St Andrews, at least temporarily, the event lives on (sort of!)

We still have the same hall booked for every Wednesday, and it's a free-and-easy night in a superb venue, with loads of opportunity to go over moves we've learned at Ceroc workshops etc. Entry is £3 - so is this the cheapest dance night in Scotland??

There are no classes or formal teaching, (so I don't think we're breaking any Ceroc rules!). Craig does the DJ stuff, but you can bring/suggest your own music.

So if anyone is free any Wednesday (7.30 - 10.30), feel free to come along to Holy Trinity Church Hall, Queens Terrace, St Andrews (just behind the Byre Theatre).
Map is at:
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=350879&y=716353&z=1&sv=queens+terrace&st=6&tl=Queens+Terrace,+St.+Andrews,+Fife,+KY16&searchp=newsearch.srf&mapp=newmap.srf

SwingSwingSwing
14th-November-2003, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by John S
Entry is £3 - so is this the cheapest dance night in Scotland??
There are no classes or formal teaching, (so I don't think we're breaking any Ceroc rules!). Craig does the DJ stuff, but you can bring/suggest your own music.

It may be the cheapest dance night in Scotland but

the ESDS [b]Swing On A Sunday Afternoon is only £3 for three hours dancing, a taster class and top DJs. And for ESDS members it's an unbelievably low £2.50.

And ESDS Classes are only £4 or (£3.50 members) for two lindy hop classes, a strolls class and some social dancing.
[/blatant ESDS plug mode]

I'm a bit confused by the "breaking Ceroc rules" bit. How could you be breaking Ceroc rules, if the night is no longer organised by Ceroc?

SwingSwingSwing

John S
14th-November-2003, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by SwingSwingSwing

I'm a bit confused by the "breaking Ceroc rules" bit. How could you be breaking Ceroc rules, if the night is no longer organised by Ceroc?

SwingSwingSwing
Simply that everyone who goes to a Ceroc class for the first time signs a form prohibiting them from teaching the Ceroc moves professionally (can't remember the exact wording but it's something like that.)

I don't want to get into a discussion about that aspect, though - the thread is simply a device to bring to the attention of local dancers the opportunity to spend a few hours dancing in a good venue at minimal cost - and without having part of the evening taken up by classes.