PDA

View Full Version : Feedback on my site :)

David Bailey
4th-November-2008, 02:14 PM
Inspired by, um, myself:

Hmmmm..... maybe I should submit mine for review...

OK, here it is:
From Modern Jive to Tango - Home (http://www.jivetango.co.uk)

All feedback welcome.

philsmove
4th-November-2008, 03:01 PM
One suggestion

For SEO maybe add "Argentinean" to explore bar and text

David Bailey
4th-November-2008, 09:21 PM
One suggestion

For SEO maybe add "Argentinean" to explore bar and text

Mmm.... I dunno, that adds a lot of screen space. Worth thinking about, and thanks for the suggestion, but I'm actually not too worried about SEO at the moment (the benefits of having a non-commercial site, plus google any combination of "Jive", "Modern Jive" and "Tango" and I'm there :) ) - I'm thinking more about structural suggestions?

Lee Bartholomew
4th-November-2008, 09:35 PM
The two 'MJ' dancers at the top of the index page, I recognise that logo. It's not a ceroc one is it?

Dreadful Scathe
4th-November-2008, 10:00 PM
The two 'MJ' dancers at the top of the index page, I recognise that logo. It's not a ceroc one is it?
I think you are absolutely right. :)

I think the page is missing "mediocre dancers need not apply" at the top :)

ant
4th-November-2008, 10:31 PM
I find the classes page a great reference page. However when I first went on the site it took a while to get there. Is there any way you can give this more prominence. That page also shows the regular Milongas but is not addressed as such. Maybe this section should in some way be expanded to include the rest of the country.

I was also thinking that the site may be a good refernce point to find Tango partners, especially if they do MJ as well.

Astro
5th-November-2008, 12:49 PM
There seems to be more Tango in London than MJ.

Surprised to see Finsbury Town Hall as a venue.

Hackney Town Hall has just had it's floor relaid and is charging £40 an hour.
Is that a lot?
There's nothing official about it, just heard on the grapevine.

bigdjiver
5th-November-2008, 12:59 PM
I had a very quick glimpse yesterday. Almost the first thing that hit me was a typo, "In most vases..." . Apologies, but I do not know which page that was on.

David Bailey
5th-November-2008, 01:06 PM
There seems to be more Tango in London than MJ.
In terms of numbers of classes, possibly. But bear in mind the classes are much smaller on average. 40 people would be a massive AT class - too big, in fact - whereas it's a small-ish class for MJ. I reckon the MJ scene is 5-10 times larger in London than the AT scene, based on the people I keep seeing at AT freestyles.

I find the classes page a great reference page. However when I first went on the site it took a while to get there. Is there any way you can give this more prominence. That page also shows the regular Milongas but is not addressed as such.
Yeah, the Milongas kind of snuck in there... Maybe I should create two sections, one for classes only and one for Milongas?

Maybe this section should in some way be expanded to include the rest of the country.
Good idea - does anyone know of a good UK-wide directory of outside-London classes?

I was also thinking that the site may be a good refernce point to find Tango partners, especially if they do MJ as well.
Interesting... I'll think about that. Thanks.

David Bailey
5th-November-2008, 01:14 PM
I had a very quick glimpse yesterday. Almost the first thing that hit me was a typo, "In most vases..." . Apologies, but I do not know which page that was on.
Oops. Fixed now :grin:

philsmove
5th-November-2008, 01:48 PM
Good idea - does anyone know of a good UK-wide directory of outside-London classes?

I don’t think there is the Tango equivalent of UK Jive

Steve Morrall of Tango UK has a data base of most UK classes

But it’s sort of hidden

Bristol Tango Homepage (http://www.bristoltango.co.uk/) Covers all of Bristol Classes and Milongas, the only thing missing is Janet’s Practicas Information on these is by direct e mail from Janet

ant
5th-November-2008, 02:06 PM
Yeah, the Milongas kind of snuck in there... Maybe I should create two sections, one for classes only and one for Milongas?

Personally I would keep them together at the moment. As you know a class and regular milonga are generally joined at the hip and so there would be alot of repetition and the review links would become difficult.

All I would do is change the page name to 'Classes and Milongas' and I still think you should give this page much more prominence.

Sparkles
5th-November-2008, 02:24 PM
Just a little thing maybe, but I find the mono-chrome colour scheme a bit depressing and boring. I don't know what you hope to achieve with your website, whether you want to get more modern-jivers to try tango or whether you're just putting it 'out there' as a resouce, but I think a more inviting colour scheme would be helpful either way :flower:.

Dreadful Scathe
5th-November-2008, 02:43 PM
so, more Sparkle ? :)

David Bailey
5th-November-2008, 03:03 PM
so, more Sparkle ? :)
Heh, I was going to say that... :D

Rhythm King
6th-November-2008, 03:34 PM
Shh! Don't tell Grumpy, but I've found it really useful...

David Bailey
6th-January-2009, 11:25 PM
OK, I've finally got round to re-structuring this.

I find the classes page a great reference page. However when I first went on the site it took a while to get there. Is there any way you can give this more prominence.
Sounds sensible - "Classes" is now the second navigation option.

I've also subdivided the dance articles into "Getting Started" and "The Next Steps" sections.

That page also shows the regular Milongas but is not addressed as such. Maybe this section should in some way be expanded to include the rest of the country.
I've included links to http://www.tango.org.uk/, which seems to have a lot of listings already.

Not easy to do with the tools I've got - I think FaceBook or this forum are probably better bets really.

ant
7th-January-2009, 02:09 AM
DB further to the calendar thread here I think you should expand the events page to show weekenders, festivals and overseas events that get a UK attendance. I'll be happy to help with this.

ant
9th-January-2009, 01:36 AM
DB, I have had a look at your getting started page.

There is still no references for beginners classes.

After Trouble'e enquiry there are at least four good courses that can be referenced and a few more I can suggest around London and your South East catchment area.

Are you going to include any?

under par
9th-January-2009, 02:00 AM

After Trouble'e enquiry there are at least four good courses that can be referenced and a few more I can suggest around London and your South East catchment area.

This would be helpful for me too ....:yeah:

David Bailey
9th-January-2009, 10:32 AM

Good idea, I'll bung something up - probably over the weekend.

David Bailey
9th-January-2009, 11:40 PM
Good idea, I'll bung something up - probably over the weekend.

OK, I've now dug out a few listings, and put them up here:
http://www.jivetango.co.uk/GettingStarted/BeginnerWorkshops.html

ant
10th-January-2009, 02:30 AM
OK, I've now dug out a few listings, and put them up here:
http://www.jivetango.co.uk/GettingStarted/BeginnerWorkshops.html

DB there is no reference to the list on the Getting Started page but it is a good list.

There are some other beginner orientated courses you may want to consider.

Tango Tango in Bromley
CamTango in Cambridge
Thames Valley Tango in Eton

David Bailey
10th-January-2009, 12:30 PM
DB there is no reference to the list on the Getting Started page but it is a good list.
There's a link - "Beginner Workshops" :)

There are some other beginner orientated courses you may want to consider.

Tango Tango in Bromley
CamTango in Cambridge
Thames Valley Tango in Eton
I think it's best to keep it as workshops only - not courses - and none of those people do beginner workshops from what I can see.

ant
10th-January-2009, 12:42 PM
There's a link - "Beginner Workshops" :)

I can't see one on the getting started page. :doh:

David Bailey
10th-January-2009, 12:49 PM
I can't see one on the getting started page. :doh:

Oh right - duh. Added now. :)