PDA

View Full Version : "Let's Go To Negracha's" - meetings

David Bailey
27th-October-2008, 05:54 PM
OK, after much debate and much frenzied voting (http://www.jivetango.co.uk/Poll.html), it looks like we're having 3 gatherings at Negracha's over the next three weeks, mainly because people can't make some specific dates.

There's an unofficial meeting on the 31st, an "official" one on the 7th (http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=33133726407), and a "Warren and his Brighton mob" one on the 14th (http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=35629546715).

At the moment, I'm planning to be at all three - consider yourself comforted / warned in equal measure. :D

For those that haven't been, downstairs at Negracha's is about the best place in London for Modern Jivers, because it plays nuevo tango music all night - none of that plinky-plonk rubbish all the time. We usually sit on the first sofa on the right as you come downstairs.

I can also recommend the classes - again, the downstairs ones are best for people just starting out, as they're technique-oriented, and taught by Ivan Arandia and the lovely Jenny Sayer.

The venue details are here:
Negracha Tango Club Home Page (http://www.negrachatangoclub.com/)

There are some photos from September's event here:
From Modern Jive to Tango - Photos (http://www.jivetango.co.uk/Photos.html)

Ken's planning a promo video next time... :grin:

Finally, there's a Facebook group here:
Login | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=19853725859)
- let me know if you want to join it.

P.S. The December one will be on the 5th December, come what may.

Zebra Woman
27th-October-2008, 06:08 PM
It's a mess!

Puddy and I are considering coming this Friday (31st)... and I want to come on the 7th too.

ZW

Yliander
27th-October-2008, 11:29 PM
3 in one month but sadly not the one weekend I have slim chance of getting to *sigh*

rubyred
27th-October-2008, 11:45 PM
3 in one month but sadly not the one weekend I have slim chance of getting to *sigh*

Sadley neither can I but at least the one in December is secured, because after much arranging I will be attending on the 5th with my lovely friend Linda from Yorkshire, all thanks to my lovely friend Ant for looking after us both that weekend.

[Also any other tangueros and tangueras out there who might be around that weekend going to the Crypt on Sat 6th?]

David Bailey
29th-October-2008, 04:18 PM
Sadley neither can I but at least the one in December is secured, because after much arranging I will be attending on the 5th with my lovely friend Linda from Yorkshire, all thanks to my lovely friend Ant for looking after us both that weekend.
Yay! :clap:

[Also any other tangueros and tangueras out there who might be around that weekend going to the Crypt on Sat 6th?]
The Crypt is lovely - I was there last Saturday, it's very friendly, and they give out a free glass of wine :yum:

So, back to Negracha, it looks like the class on Friday will be interesting:

This Friday, Negracha Tango Club is pleased to host Andres "Tanguito" CEJAS & Genoveva FERNANDEZ, and excellent classic tango couple leading our main class and performing for us at 23.30pm. Theme of the Class: Tango VILLA URQUIZA STYLE.
Don't ask me what "VILLA URQUIZA STYLE" is, I've no clue...

ant
29th-October-2008, 07:02 PM
Don't ask me what "VILLA URQUIZA STYLE" is, I've no clue...

It is one of three main forms of Tango de Salon currently vying for most popular. Villa Urquiza itself is a district of Buenes Aires. I think this form Salon Tango is characterised by long, very light flowing steps.

It is definitely becoming more popular here to as I have seen two or three different workshops advertisedover the past month, all by different teachers as well.

David Bailey
30th-October-2008, 02:35 AM
It is one of three main forms of Tango de Salon currently vying for most popular. Villa Urquiza itself is a district of Buenes Aires. I think this form Salon Tango is characterised by long, very light flowing steps.
OK, OK, I was exaggerating.

I have some notion of it, in the same way as I have some notion of what "Blues Dancing" is within an MJ context.

However, like Blues, I suspect that it's one of those ill-defined things which is mainly used to sex up a class.

For example, if you look at the Wikipedia entry, it says

In contrast, the tango that originated in the family clubs of the suburban neighborhoods (Villa Urquiza/Devoto/Avellaneda etc.) emphasizes long elegant steps, and complex figures. In this case the embrace may be allowed to open briefly, to permit execution of the complicated footwork.

The complex figures of this style became the basis for a theatrical performance style of Tango seen in the touring stage shows. For stage purposes, the embrace is often very open, and the complex footwork is augmented with gymnastic lifts, kicks, and drops.
So one might be forgiven for thinking VU is a bit like show tango, as a precursor to nuevo.

But then, a recent VU blurb said:

"In this class we will work under the Villa Urquiza Style which is recognized for it's elegance, virtuosity and dancing the pause of the music. Villa Urquiza style is not about figures, it's about the musicality and quality of movement focusing on the connection between the partners. We will be working to find comfort, elegance, clarity in the lead, sensitivity in the follow and confidence. "

:confused:

And then you see videos like this:
YouTube - Tango Performance: Ney Melo & Jennifer Bratt, Poema (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Pgbt0oD-MnA)

In other words, who knows?

ant
30th-October-2008, 09:01 AM
In other words, who knows?

Fair enough.

I have also been thinking about all these couples coming over from Argentina saying they are going to teach this new form and that that new form and beginning to wonder the strength of it all. Then sweeping it all under the heading of the new Salon Tango.

Dreadful Scathe
30th-October-2008, 10:17 AM
P.S. The December one will be on the 5th December, come what may.

Hey, thats my birthday. I should try and come (highly doubtful though) :)

ant
30th-October-2008, 01:09 PM
Hey, thats my birthday. I should try and come (highly doubtful though) :)

Hey Dreadful Scathe

COME ON DOWN

I can put you up. It will be a mattress on the floor I'm afraid as I already have a house full but we are just looking for an excuse for a party. We have the weekend planned as follows:
Fri night Negracha
Sat afternoon The Factory (lesson and practica)
then a meal in Islington
Sat evening The Crypt
Sun my guests are going home but I will be going to La Mariposa and then Berko.

Transport wise I am easy for Luton Airport or Watford Junction (Glasgow) or I can pick you up from Kings Cross (Edinburgh). Alternatively I am sure Ruby Red will give you a lift from Manchester.

Jay Jay
30th-October-2008, 01:48 PM
Fri night Negracha
then a meal in Islington
Sat evening The Crypt

Blimey...not doing much then :doh:

Dreadful Scathe
30th-October-2008, 02:19 PM
I can put you up. It will be a mattress on the floor I'm afraid as I already have a house full

A lovely offer, thanks. Gone are the days of me sleeping on matresses on floors though, I'd find a nice hotel. :)

rubyred
30th-October-2008, 04:47 PM
Hey Dreadful Scathe

We have the weekend planned as follows:
Fri night Negracha
then a meal in Islington
Sat evening The Crypt

Transport wise I am easy for Luton Airport or Watford Junction (Glasgow) or I can pick you up from Kings Cross (Edinburgh). Alternatively I am sure Ruby Red will give you a lift from Manchester.

I am looking forward to this weekend, and as always Ant will be a great host.:clap:

I would have been happy to give you a lift DS, no trouble at all.:flower: