PDA

View Full Version : Floorcraft in West Coast Swing

frodo
26th-October-2008, 07:51 PM
In WCS collisions with adjacent slots don't appear to be a big issue.

However where slots are at right angles or if, in particular, the room is big enough for end to end slots things are much more uncertain.

Given the distances involved and the less continuous lead it seems quite a bit harder to quickly bring the lady up short or move quickly forward out of the way, without a level of arm jerking that might be worse than a collision.

Any tips / thoughts / conventions on the subject ?

Minnie M
26th-October-2008, 08:03 PM
I was told that the origins of WCS came about because of lack of space, in the wartime and early postware small dance halls - however, whenever you learn a new dance moves do tend to be exagerated.

IMO there should be WCS floorcraft classes for the more experienced dancers - they have such a thing in Lindy.

NZ Monkey
27th-October-2008, 01:23 AM
In WCS collisions with adjacent slots don't appear to be a big issue.

However where slots are at right angles or if, in particular, the room is big enough for end to end slots things are much more uncertain.

Given the distances involved and the less continuous lead it seems quite a bit harder to quickly bring the lady up short or move quickly forward out of the way, without a level of arm jerking that might be worse than a collision.

Any tips / thoughts / conventions on the subject ?Those are pretty much my observations as well as it happens.

IMO, WCS has an effective floorcraft mechanic built into the dance itself. The slot limits the amount of traffic likely to interfere with you from either side dramatically. If, for example, you were to put a bunch of late beginners or early intermediates into a room dancing WCS you'd likely find floorcraft issues quite small as long as the slots were lined up the same way. Note that this isn't necessarily because the dancers themselves have especially good floorcraft skills.

You can shorten the slot in WCS by shortening the amount of rope you give your follower of course, although personally I find there is a point were it just doesn't feel like WCS anymore and I'd rather dance something else. If the room is so crowded both ends of your slot are getting interfered with by other, parallel couples, there really isn't much you can do other than hope the follower is responsible enough not to charge to the end of the slot with her back turned at times you wouldn't be able to stop her.

FirstMove
27th-October-2008, 01:34 AM
I've seen a few Westie sandwiches occur ... two leads back to back both leading sugar push type moves at the same time. They both step backwards and collide, then the followers pile in too :)