PDA

View Full Version : Secret Dancing....

Jive Brummie
12th-November-2003, 09:13 PM
Right then here goes...

Recently at work, ( a very male dominated environment), I've been getting a right earful of grief about dancing. You see, when I started ceroc, it was a big secret. Not (really) because I was a bit embarrassed about dancing, but more because I knew I'd get an ear bashing from the lads.

12 months down the line they all know about me and dancing and I'm still getting the ridicule. Now I'm easy going and I think I've a good sense of humour but 12 MONTHS!!!! Even I'm getting a wee bit PI**ED OFF with the 'jokes' now.

So, I was wondering if this has happened or still happens to other people as well. If so how do you cope with it all???

Is violence the only answer!!!!!!!:mad: :devil:

James...

P.s I'm not embarrassed about dancing anymore....infact I loved it from the first nervous moment on the floor, they didn't need to know that though:wink:

Fran
12th-November-2003, 09:29 PM
HI James

I realise its easy to say..... but take as little notice as you can.

My dad was a RAF W/O regiment rock ape for 37 yrs- a large man but who was a wonderful dancer and in huge demand - (much to the chargin of my mum who admits was not the greatest on the dance floor!) Anyway in the matcho world of the forces there were loads of men who would dance. the only difference it was usually in the mess.

you've got the last laugh - youve met a wonderful partner, get to have a far better social life - If only they realised what they were missing. Its their loss.

I have completey different life at work, I somtimes talk about dancing but I think the guys think Iam a bit odd. They certainly dont understand it.. but then who does if they are not in the dance circut ??? :what:

Your a wonderful bonus to us in Scotland along with your other military pal steve.

fran :cheers:

Gus
12th-November-2003, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Jive Brummie

James...

Ahh ... yet more evidence of group male insecurity! Its a sad fact that men, when threatened by something, ridicule it. The response you've had James has probably been suffered by most guys in a male dominated environment. At the client site I'm currently working at, all the women who know I dance want to get me on the dancefloor, half the guys think its interesting ... and the other half just continually take the p***. Given that punching the lights out of client staff is generally not the best way of conducting businesss I'm also loooking for a non-violent approach:sick:

Interesting point ... when I took up martial arts (all those many years ago) ... I got the same attitude, similar ridicule..... WHY? Does it make any logical sense to take the p*** out of someone who spends all their time practicing how to inflict large amounts of pain???? The wonedrs of the male phsychology never cease to amaze me.

Fran
12th-November-2003, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Gus
The wonedrs of the male phsychology never cease to amaze me.

ahh, so its not just a girl thing to wonder:wink:
:hug:

hope to see you soon Gus :wink:

franx

Gary
12th-November-2003, 11:49 PM

12 months down the line they all know about me and dancing and I'm still getting the ridicule. Now I'm easy going and I think I've a good sense of humour but 12 MONTHS!!!!

Me too, more than 12 months later, still get jokes about "so long as it doesn't lead to dancing". If I were worried about it, I probably wouldn't show them the photos of me in sparkly clothes :wink:

Actually, the only thing that bugs me is that I haven't been able to convince anyone from work (guy or girl) to give it a try, which is sad because I think MJ is the best thing since sliced bread.

Twinkle Toes
13th-November-2003, 12:07 AM

James, any time they rile you, just give them one of those big grins that you're famous for - that will p**s them off even more.

I do have an answer though - bring some of them along to beach ballroom and I assure you by the time they leave, they will have changed their mind - !!!

TT x

Forte
13th-November-2003, 12:23 AM
Just wave your championship certificate at them...:wink: Plus aren't RAF men famous for jiving in uniform in the forties and fifties? Looking fabby? I think everyone who says they are jealous is right...
Violence? Nah...grab one of them and lead him into a drop neck seducer (a bit like the one Trampy used on you last week) that'll shut them up...:what:

Dance Demon
13th-November-2003, 12:47 AM
Just show them all the photos of you dancing with various attractive ladies james......then the scorn will turn to jealousy:D ...( don't show them the pic of you dancing with Trampy though...that will blow your street cred to bits:wink: :D )

Forte
13th-November-2003, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by Dance Demon
Just show them all the photos of you dancing with various attractive ladies james......then the scorn will turn to jealousy:D ...( don't show them the pic of you dancing with Trampy though...that will blow your street cred to bits:wink: :D )

You, Mr Dance Demon, can talk!!!:really: Oh well, at least you lead...:rofl:

bigdjiver
13th-November-2003, 12:55 AM
Pose for piccys with some of the lovely ladies.

Complain about the pain you are suffering trying to give all of the sixteen spare women a dance, or caused by doing a lift.

Whenever the subject of big breasts comes up say that they are good to look at, but hell to dance with.

After a week or two of that either blatantly use the piccys as pin-ups, or accidentally spill them all across the floor in a crowd moment.

Forte
13th-November-2003, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by bigdjiver
Whenever the subject of big breasts comes up say that they are good to look at, but hell to dance with.

After .

Are they? :really: Sorry...:blush: It's genetic...:na:

Graham
13th-November-2003, 01:44 AM
So, I was wondering if this has happened or still happens to other people as well. If so how do you cope with it all??? I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't really talk about it at work for fear of this very phenomenon. There are people who know I do it, I occasionally refer to it on the phone, and I've danced with Wendy at office parties, so it's not exactly secret. The only time I've ever spoken about it when "working" was when I was out for dinner with some clients, and the (female) manager we were wining and dining was unbelievably impressed! (Then again, she didn't see me actually performing!)

Jon L
13th-November-2003, 02:08 AM
Yes I have had from the guys at work . although having been in f winning a team comp I have had some congratulations to be fair.

I am afraid some blokes think of us as "girlies " by doing this. I feel very sorry for the couples who's wives dance and their husbands/boyfriends just don't want to know.

But then again it's infinately preferable to getting smashed in the pubs and much more sociable as well.

Andy McGregor
13th-November-2003, 02:26 AM
Some guys have said to me that dancing is a bit poofy, which doesn't bother me at all. Mostly out of mischief, I always take the following angle.

So what did you do last night? Oh a drink with the guys down the pub, eh? Nice! I spent the night holding 30 different women very close and running my hands over parts of their lycra clad bodies - and some of them did the same to my manly chest.:devil: If that's poofy then I'm a little teapot short and stout...

bigdjiver
13th-November-2003, 03:09 AM
Whenever the subject of big breasts comes up say that they are good to look at, but hell to dance with

Yeah right ... and every man is a masochist :devil:

We suffer, but we practise so diligently ...

Seriously one of the few reasons I drop out of, or avoid, a class is because a "tell it to the judge" move is in it, and I do tend to get things wrong before I get them right.

In freestyle there is no problem.

Ian W
13th-November-2003, 10:49 AM
James,

Just remind the guys at your work that it was the american servicemen in WW2 that introduced jive to the french!

I know what you mean though. I work with a bunch of software engineers (geeks, some might say ;-) and I didnt exactly tell everyone about Ceroc.

However I did have a laugh at the last works xmas party last year when I had held impromptu Ceroc class for a bunch of thier wives/girlfriends while the guys all stood at the bar.

I'm sure some of my friends still make jokes about my dancing behind my back, but I dont care! I have had a great time over the last 2-3 years doing Ceroc, and have never met a friendlier bunch of people from all walks of life. I know I can be a bit reserved at times, and take a long time to get to know people - ceroc has been really good for me in this respect.

Ian

PS. Its amazing what you will admit to on a fotum like this, that you wouldnt dare say to people face-to-face!

DavidB
13th-November-2003, 10:55 AM
I used to get a bit of stick years ago. It changed when we went out for a drink one night, and 5 of us ended up in a Latin bar in the West End. A couple of them said they wanted to see this 'dancing lark' that I did, so I asked one lady to dance. That only slightly impressed them. What clinched it was the steady stream of ladies that came up over the next hour and asked me to dance. (Apparently there were only 3 or 4 men there who could dance, and about 30 ladies. But I never told my friends that!)

At another job there were several rugby players there. They were just starting to joke about it when one of them said "Think about it. We get our hands on a rugby ball in the evening and then talk about women. He gets his hands on women all evening, and talks about rugby..." A couple of them even went to Ceroc after that.

David

Tiggerbabe
13th-November-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by DavidB
What clinched it was the steady stream of ladies that came up over the next hour and asked me to dance. (Apparently there were only 3 or 4 men there who could dance, and about 30 ladies. But I never told my friends that!)

Sorry to disagree with you - Oh, wise one............but the steady stream of ladies coming up and asking you to dance would have happened, even if every man in the place was a good dancer.

Roll on next Saturday :kiss:

ChrisA
13th-November-2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Andy McGregor
Some guys have said to me that dancing is a bit poofy, which doesn't bother me at all.
If anyone's interested in a serious (not sanctimonious :devil: ) take on this issue, there's an essay called "Why men won't dance" by that Newcastle Lindy Hopper, Nikolas Lloyd mentioned on another thread the other day, and it gives an evolutionary psychology-based explanation of why most men won't dance.

It's long, it has no graphics, and it's here (http://www.staff.ncl.ac.uk/nikolas.lloyd/evolve/menwont.html)

I think it's interesting.

Chris

Gadget
13th-November-2003, 03:13 PM
you think you've got it bad with colegues and work-mates... Any time my wife is asked where I go of a Tuesday evening (or occasional party/workshop) her response is he's got ballet classes in a condesending tone!! :tears:

The number of people arround the village I've met and have asked how my ballet lessons are going is disparaging.:rolleyes:

Forte
13th-November-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by ChrisA
If anyone's interested in a serious (not sanctimonious :devil: ) take on this issue, there's an essay called "Why men won't dance" by that Newcastle Lindy Hopper,
I think it's interesting.

Chris

Phew...just read it.... Hmmm the bit I found interesting was the link between men who have done martial arts and who are good dancers...Trampy springs to mind...:grin:

psyc0diver
13th-November-2003, 03:21 PM
But Gadget, Angela is just naturally obtuse!

psyc0diver
13th-November-2003, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Forte
Phew...just read it.... Hmmm the bit I found interesting was the link between men who have done martial arts and who are good dancers...Trampy springs to mind...:grin:

Its all to do with body movement (oo-er missus)

ChrisA
13th-November-2003, 03:36 PM
Phew...just read it....
I did warn you it was long... I suggest a bit of a lie down, now, to recover. :D

Chris

Tiggerbabe
14th-November-2003, 03:01 AM
I did warn you it was long... I suggest a bit of a lie down, now, to recover. :D

Chris

:sorry blush - said the Bishop to the Actress????????????

Boomer
14th-November-2003, 03:12 AM
Phew...just read it.... Hmmm the bit I found interesting was the link between men who have done martial arts and who are good dancers

Must make me the missing link then :sad:

I have to say, all me mates (blokes in this instance) I've told about dance are more fascinated than facetious..mind you, half the stuff I’ve done, dancing is the least of it. :nice:

Bill
14th-November-2003, 04:53 PM
Are they? :really: Sorry...:blush: It's genetic...:na: But not always.....................depends on the moves.

Does this mean I have to keep you at arms length when we finally dance :rolleyes: :wink:

Alex certainly has no problems with her assets - as she indicate don another thread.

psyc0diver
14th-November-2003, 05:33 PM
Bill, just sent you a message

Craig

Jive Brummie
14th-November-2003, 08:43 PM
Thanks for all your messages and suggestions.

I'll now give you a prime example of how petty my 'pals' are. Only just a couple of hours ago at a leaving-do for a couple of work colleagues at a pub in strathkinness, the lads went to the juke box. Next thing you know, "ha, ha, ha, give us a dance Jim," came the cries as ABBA's Dancing Queen came on!!!

Funny eh??!!:mad:

I'm sorry to say that it's the small juvenile things that do tend to get right on my t**'s. Maybe it's my failing rather than there's???

Have done the 'tell them about all the women you dance with' thing before and have to say, it does seeem to work...:wink:

James..:cheers:

bigdjiver
14th-November-2003, 09:25 PM
to get right on my t**'s

This masculine image thing is tricky, isn't it?

Tiggerbabe
14th-November-2003, 09:26 PM
.........Next thing you know, "ha, ha, ha, give us a dance Jim," came the cries as ABBA's Dancing Queen came on!!!........
Funny eh??!!:mad:

Why not take Melanie to the next leaving do - I'm betting they'd be so jealous if they saw the two of you strutting your stuff (even if it was to an Abba song) - especially if Melanie was wearing either of her two Scottish competition outfits.........sure we could arrange some moral support for you :D

bigdjiver
14th-November-2003, 09:36 PM
I do not like advocating things I would not do, but a Ceroc Marathon team would be one image enhancer.

Formation dance displays at soccer and rugby half-times would be another. This I would join, if local. This does not have to be anything much more than basic moves. I have always thought the Victor and Lydia image was a mistake. Ceroc is predominantly a social dance.

Gus
15th-November-2003, 01:35 AM
I have always thought the Victor and Lydia image was a mistake. Ceroc is predominantly a social dance.

Mistake who to? The V&L image would have been a far greater garb for me to start that the 'social dance' image. The strength of Modern Jive is that it appeals across a range of people and to different aspects. Putting a formation dance on is going to elict more ridicule from the likes of James 'associates. He and FC in full gear putting on the style (a la V&L) would give a far more powerful image.

ChrisA
15th-November-2003, 01:37 AM
I have always thought the Victor and Lydia image was a mistake.
The Viktor and Lydia image being what, exactly?

Chris

bigdjiver
15th-November-2003, 03:28 AM

Chris

If I am right a lot of Ceroc publicity photos, posters etc have a striking image of Victor with Lydia near horizontal. I believe that image will attract the adventurous, artisitic and confident, but that if frightens most people who want to learn a simple partner dance.

DavidB
15th-November-2003, 11:20 AM
The Viktor and Lydia image being what, exactly? I think bigdjiver has a point. But how many people actually see any Ceroc advertising before coming along for the first time? It still seems predominantly word-of-mouth that keeps the beginners coming.

Jive Brummie
15th-November-2003, 11:49 AM
The annoying thing is that most of the guys at work who ridicule ceroc, I'm sure would have a great time and a real laugh if they had a go.

It seem's that individually, they think that me dancing is a good thing and were impressed by mine and FC's Scottish comp result, but collectively, (as in when they are all together), they appear to egg each other on. One person says something derogatory, then somebody else says something until they all join in and the band wagon is full to bursting!!

Maybe it's a male 'pack hunting' thing???:confused:

James..

Gus
15th-November-2003, 11:52 AM

Chris

Apologies, I wasn't clear at all about what I was saying (no change there!)

When I talk about the V&L image I mean the sexy, style, cool dressed aspirational image ... not so much the range of promo photos. If you want to promote Modern Jive you could show a nice friendly village hall full of casual dressed middle aged people bopping around approxinately in time to some general pop OR you could take the 'sex on legs', 'WOW' approach and display an aspirational image (i.e. V&L).

Someone at work was interested in running a fun class but wasn't quite sure what Modern Jive was all about. To help her I've lent her a video fo mine which has 5 mins of me teaching a beginners lesson, about 5 mins of various floor shots of freestyling, and a couple of minutes of a Viktor and Lydia demo ..... I'm keen to find out which element is the one that sells the dance.

linda
15th-November-2003, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Sheena
Why not take Melanie to the next leaving do - I'm betting they'd be so jealous if they saw the two of you strutting your stuff (even if it was to an Abba song) - especially if Melanie was wearing either of her two Scottish competition outfits.........sure we could arrange some moral support for you :D

Great idea Sheena!

The MAd crew and some more of the lovelies from Dundee would be glad to give you moral support James:wink: :wink:

Maybe we could do a routine like we did for Franck's birthday :wink: :drool: I think that would get their attention, don't you??:wink: :wink:

Linda

ChrisA
15th-November-2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Gus
When I talk about the V&L image I mean the sexy, style, cool dressed aspirational image ... not so much the range of promo photos. If you want to promote Modern Jive you could show a nice friendly village hall full of casual dressed middle aged people bopping around approxinately in time to some general pop OR you could take the 'sex on legs', 'WOW' approach and display an aspirational image (i.e. V&L).

I couldn't agree more.

Think back to the first beginners class, and how we felt and looked.

Crap, and, er, crap, respectively, if you're anything like me :what:

... the last thing we need is promotional material that even hints at "come to Ceroc and you can look as awful as this", or "the most you can hope for is this friendly village hall"

One thing I think Ceroc has got exactly right, is the showcase of the moves at the beginning of the class. It's strongly aspirational, and I often hear comments from around me to the effect of "gawd I'll never be able to do that" - but people are smiling, they clearly enjoy it, and then they give it their best shot.

Everyone knows what promo material is, anyway - it shows something off at its best. And so it should.

Chris

horsey_dude
15th-November-2003, 12:17 PM
Why is ther no Ceroc advertising on TV? (That I have seen). I know its expensive but you never know....

I saw a show called dancing on the street where they just filmed all of these average everyday people dancing and there were some cerocers (or similar) on there....

Jive Brummie
15th-November-2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by linda
Great idea Sheena!

The MAd crew and some more of the lovelies from Dundee would be glad to give you moral support James:wink: :wink:

Maybe we could do a routine like we did for Franck's birthday :wink: :drool: I think that would get their attention, don't you??:wink: :wink:

Linda

Great idea Linda... I'll selflessly volunteer to do Franck's bit....:wink:

James..x

bigdjiver
15th-November-2003, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by DavidB
I think bigdjiver has a point. But how many people actually see any Ceroc advertising before coming along for the first time? It still seems predominantly word-of-mouth that keeps the beginners coming.

You sorta made my point, How often is word of mouth from a V&L type? In our area the V&L image is on the posters and flyers. The flyers work are given out at busks. I have not met a "saw the poster" inductee, although there are not too many posters around.

bigdjiver
15th-November-2003, 02:53 PM
... the last thing we need is promotional material that even hints at "come to Ceroc and you can look as awful as this", or "the most you can hope for is this friendly village hall"

[/B]

I show people the DWAS (lucky dip) from the Le Jive champs video. Along with Jack & Jill Public there is Rena in the midst of it showing what modern jive can be.

linda
15th-November-2003, 08:05 PM
Great idea Linda... I'll selflessly volunteer to do Franck's bit....:wink:

James..x

Does that mean you'll wear a kilt too?:wink: And if so will you be a true Scotsman?:wink: :wink:

Linda

Jive Brummie
15th-November-2003, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by linda
Does that mean you'll wear a kilt too?:wink: And if so will you be a true Scotsman?:wink: :wink:

Linda

..........er.... no, and...............no!!:wink:

J..

linda
15th-November-2003, 08:25 PM
To get back to James's original comments. I think that James is experiencing a very obvious display of the UK 'macho male' attitude to dancing.
Just compare it to the Euro male attitude to dancing or South America where men seem to have a very different mind-set and have realised how very attractive it is to us girls to have a man who can dance!:wink:
Isn't time to educate these beer swilling Neanderthals that dancing isn't a threat to their manhood!
After all look at the Aussies and our own dear James, you just don't get any more macho than that!:wink:

Linda
:cheers:
(the quiet one)

Bill
18th-November-2003, 01:36 PM
Thankfully I don't have to put up with any of the negative comments James faces.

Most of my colleagues know I dance and quite frequently I'll be asked how it's going and if I'm off anywhere. Of course a few might be saying things privately but a few have come along to try Ceroc so they know what it's about.

Even some of the students know and they seem either interested or mildly surprised.

Adult men are just the same as boys (and many girls) in as much as they may be quite pleasant on their own but as soon as there's a group they take on the heard mentality and do/say things they'd never so on their own.

Keep up the good work James - its their loss. :wink:

Emma
20th-November-2003, 01:53 PM
A moment of silent contemplation please - the thought of James in a kilt.............................................. ...................................

*happy sigh*

:wink: :grin:

Bardsey
20th-November-2003, 02:06 PM

I've been giving the male lead a go in the beginners classes lately and the men on either side of me ALWAYS make a comment such as pointed looking at my chest, then at their own and saying..."you don't look like any man I'VE ever seen" :rofl: Well thank God for small mercies (or large ones, come to that....:rofl: )

Andy McGregor
20th-November-2003, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Bardsey
you don't look like any man I'VE ever seen"

SNAP:devil:

Bardsey
20th-November-2003, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Andy McGregor
SNAP:devil:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Jive Brummie
20th-November-2003, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Emma
A moment of silent contemplation please - the thought of James in a kilt.............................................. ...................................

*happy sigh*

:wink: :grin:

Steady on tiger.....

:wink: :sorry

Divissima
20th-November-2003, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by Horsey Dude:
I saw a show called dancing on the street Where did you see the show, HD (and can you remember when)? A few of us from London danced for the camera crew over the space of a couple of weeks, but I never saw when it was on. I'd love to see the finished show (and see which of us actually made the final cut).

Emma
23rd-November-2003, 05:12 PM
Steady on tiger.....

:wink: :sorry Sorry James...:blush:...it was irresistable! :rofl::cheers:

Lounge Lizard
24th-November-2003, 09:28 AM
I have my own building company, when I first got into Ceroc I was employing over 30 builders - sweet little chaps - needless to say I suffered until I went for a drink with them,
Four very nice young ladies walked into the bar and the builders heads were turned in a predictable way.

These girls were all dancers, they walked over to me lots of hugs etc. typical dancer greeting - The men's look was precious then dropped jaws all round when they played a slow danceable track and I had a blues dance with two of the ladies.

All has been ok ever since

JamesGeary
24th-November-2003, 11:18 AM
Hey Jive Brummie. I've never been hassled at any workplace about dancing. Ever. In 10 years.

If someone even brings up the topic of dancing in an even oblique manner, such as "I like that song just now", (close enough), then they get 5 minutes from me of the benefits, health, fitness, social, fun, of going to ceroc/jive, an introduction to their local teacher, a timetable with the best classes for them circled, an introduction to a partner of the opposite sex, cute, who would go with them, and an offer to accompany them to their first class. If they are into rugby or soccer, it will improve their co-ordination and speed of their footwork. Get the message, I won't shut up.

They don't like it? Objections of any sort are irrelevant, because they haven't been yet so they are not qualified to have an opinion. Yes I will stop hassling you if you go at least once. I get them alone because they are weaker that way. They also become quite scared of the issue.

If they have been at least once then they aren't in any position to hassle you.

Deal with Macho attitude with Macho attack.
100% of people confronted alone and hassled to death will at least say "yes I could consider going along one day" in order to escape. They are now weak. In a group attack situation like you describe I would turn to the people I have gotten a 'consider' from and say "actually X and Y are going to come along some time". Instant attack collapse.

If I hear an ABBA track start up it reminds me that I haven't tried to get them along to dancing for ages and I turn to them and get the word in first. They start avoiding me whenever they hear ABBA being played.

JamesGeary
24th-November-2003, 11:44 AM
You sorta made my point, How often is word of mouth from a V&L type? In our area the V&L image is on the posters and flyers. The flyers work are given out at busks. I have not met a "saw the poster" inductee, although there are not too many posters around.

I've not met a 'saw the poster' coca-cola drinker either. I imagine in both cases it still has an affect mind you.

bigdjiver
24th-November-2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by JamesGeary
I've not met a 'saw the poster' coca-cola drinker either. I imagine in both cases it still has an affect mind you.

I do not doubt that it is effective, just what effect?

Have you never seen a poster that puts you off a product?

I admire your positive approach to Ceroc promotion. I am the same. The last attempted recruitment was a workman in our house who used to rock and roll jive. I preloaded the video at the DWAS clip, as I do, and left it for him to peruse. Unsupervised he fast forwarded in error (he was that sort of workman) and got a clip of superb fast Lindy in a championship final. He fast forwarded again to the aerials final. No sale.

BTW: I try and promote Ceroc on other forums:

> Well, I know Xerox machines, but what is Ceroc?

It is where you try and copy the dance teacher.

horsey_dude
27th-November-2003, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Divissima
Where did you see the show, HD (and can you remember when)? A few of us from London danced for the camera crew over the space of a couple of weeks, but I never saw when it was on. I'd love to see the finished show (and see which of us actually made the final cut).

It was two couples on the footpath in a fairly open area...... thats about all I remember. i am not sure when I saw the show.....

stewart38
27th-November-2003, 11:38 AM
I had a bit of stick from a few 'barrow boys' but not much. I work in 'The City'

Our xmas do will be attended by cira 400 people with a 50/50 split and I'll be amazed if I can find /watch anyone cerocing

stew

Roland, Aberdeen
3rd-December-2003, 09:38 PM
Hi, James,
I've never been really "wound up" about dancing by colleagues, despite my talking ceaselessly about dancing at work. Its only fair to point out to your colleagues that where there is a preponderance in the number of women at Ceroc, (most of the time), then any of your male colleagues who are not going dancing, miss the opportunity to dance with them... and the others! You may wish to point out that women who dance a lot are more liable to be physically fit, outgoing, attractive people. How many parties do your colleagues go to where they are approached several times during the evening by women who want to spend their time with them, some of whom may be unknown to them ? Is there something wrong with spending your free time in the company of women who like dancing? Er.... NO! If rational arguments like this don't impress, however, you might let drop that a.n. other woman you were dancing with the previous night looked the double of some impossibly gorgeous society beauty who may be known to them. This may be met by shouts of disbelief, but the point is,
THEY DON'T KNOW THAT, 'COS THEY DON'T GO TO CEROC.
They'll just have to suffer the knowledge that they must be missing out, and, coincidentally, leaving all the more impossible gorgeous society beauties for us to dance with!!! Schadenfreude!