PDA

View Full Version : jive clubs sussex

Modern Jiv'r
14th-October-2008, 05:55 PM
I am new to sussex what the best venue's and teacher's to learn with ????

Martin
14th-October-2008, 06:11 PM

Sussex is a large place, if you can be more specific it would help to point out those nearest to you, there are many options, it could be those nearest to you are good, or it could be you need to travel.

What would help is, how long you have been dancing, what you are wanting from the lessons/evenings.

Agente Secreto
14th-October-2008, 06:12 PM
Welcome to the Forum Modern Jiv'r. You'll soon grow to appreciate why I say that many forum members are waiting with baited breath for the responses to this thread.:tears:

Venue managers in Sussex, who would like the blue corner?

Agent 000
Licensed to Dance

Andy McGregor
14th-October-2008, 06:53 PM
Venue managers in Sussex, who would like the blue corner?:innocent:

Andy McGregor
14th-October-2008, 06:57 PM
I am new to sussex what the best venue's and teacher's to learn with ????This is an unusual first post. Especially in the Scottish Ceroc Forum.

My advice is to visit Modern Jive dance classes and events in the UK (http://www.uk-jive.co.uk)

There are plenty of classes in Sussex, some them great and some of them not so great. My advice it to visit your nearest class and talk to the other dancers. They'll point you in the direction of other classes.

Martin
14th-October-2008, 07:10 PM
This is an unusual first post. Especially in the Scottish Ceroc Forum.

My advice is to visit Modern Jive dance classes and events in the UK (http://www.uk-jive.co.uk)

There are plenty of classes in Sussex, some them great and some of them not so great. My advice it to visit your nearest class and talk to the other dancers. They'll point you in the direction of other classes.

This website is rather "busy" and I found it to be a bit too much to take in...

Best venues and teachers comes down to how big you like your classes, what style of MJ you like, are you looking for mainly social, or correct dance style. What style you would like to learn. Are you looking for good beginner classes, good intermediate classes or something for the advanced dancer?

Also as said above, where you are in Sussex and how far you would like to travel.

Jon L
14th-October-2008, 07:11 PM
This is an unusual first post. Especially in the Scottish Ceroc Forum.

For some reason though there appears to be a hole in the Bognor Regis and Chichester area. Dancers from those parts appear to either head into Worthing or go over into Portsmouth or Horndean. There might be a marketing opportunity for someone

Lee Bartholomew
14th-October-2008, 07:34 PM
As others have said, It depends on where you are.

Most of the good stuff happens in Brighton.

Things to look out for are

Decca Dance - decaDance (http://www.decadancenights.co.uk/)

Flapjack Fridays (with guest teachers like Amir and Simon and Nicole etc ) - Welcome to Evolution Dance & Entertainment (http://evolutiondance.co.uk/)

Steve and Julie run an occasional freestyle in Hickstead which is a really nice venue (not sure of website)

All in / Near Brighton.

Also in that area you have classes in Worthing (busy classes, around 150 people I think http://www.dance-infinity.com/ )

Andy McGregor runs classes around Brighton on various days (www.rocsters.com (http://www.rocsters.com))

There is a good class In the Funky Fish in Brighton (ceroc) with Joe and Richard Oliver who are both great teachers www.cerocfever.com (http://www.cerocfever.com)

Also Classes in Brighton on Tuesday (Often refered to as Blockbusters or Citygate) again not sure of website.

There are of course things going on in West sussex but not sure of that area.

I teach in Hastings doing Smooth Jive which has a WCS feel and music but wont put the web address or details up as per advertising rules.

There are a few good and a few bad classes about. Pleanty of good dancers. The best thing to do is travel around them and find which ones you like yourself :grin:.

Hope to see you soon.

Minnie M
14th-October-2008, 08:22 PM
:innocent: :whistle:

BTW there are MJ classes in Bognor & Chichester (well they were there last year)

David Love in Chichester and a Swing/MJ that Brooke does AND Nigel has classes in Bognor (haven't got their details at hand at the mo)

under par
15th-October-2008, 11:11 AM
There is also a Ceroc event in Broadbridge Heath and Adrenlin Jive with weekly events in Burgess hill and East Dean.
Sarahs Modern Jive also holds loads of stuff in Eastbourne town Hall.

1st Move hold events in Uckfield.

A good compilation of south coast events can be found Lynda's List (http://www.lyndaslist.com) run by our own MinnieM and Modern Jive dance classes and events in the UK (http://www.uk-jive.co.uk) offers a good listing too

SPROGGS
15th-October-2008, 01:25 PM
I teach in Hastings doing Smooth Jive which has a WCS feel and music but wont put the web address or details up as per advertising rules.

What Lee is unable to say due to forum rules is - If you are interested in Smooth Jive his details are available from-

South Coast Dance - Smooth Jive Smooth Modern Jive Classes in Hastings (http://www.southcoast-dance.co.uk/)

There are many clubs in East Sussex and if you visit a LeRoc Federation club the details of other clubs should be available. Most teachers will advise you of other clubs in the area.

Your best option is to ask other dancers who they recommend and why.

Good luck

dave the scaffolder
15th-October-2008, 01:48 PM
Well done boys nice to see a nice bit of cooperation and luvvie duvvieness coming through.

SPROGGS
15th-October-2008, 02:06 PM
Well done boys nice to see a nice bit of cooperation and luvvie duvvieness coming through.

Come here "BIG BOY" & give us a KISS:love:

ant
15th-October-2008, 04:15 PM

Hi Modern JIv'r

Another good website for class nights is John Sweeney's www.modernjive.com (http://www.modernjive.com).

When you enter the site, a map of the UK broken up by a grid comes up, pick the "All Days" option, just press on the part of grid near where you are and a load of interactive red dots come up representing different venues. Hover over the dot for basic details and click for website links.

Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew
Steve and Julie run an occasional freestyle in Hickstead which is a really nice venue (not sure of website).
Its called jivecraft. They normally run on Bank Holiday Mondays and are all day affairs. Funnily enough Lee Bartholomew and John Sweeney taught at the last one.

BUT... if I were you Modern Jiv'r I would NOT go to Sussex they are terrible people down there. You would be much better off in Hertrfordshire where I live and look who else you can dance with DTS, David Bailey and Trouble, what else do you want.

Anyway wherever you decide to dance in Sussex good luck and enjoy.

Lee Bartholomew
15th-October-2008, 05:21 PM
Its called jivecraft. They normally run on Bank Holiday Mondays and are all day affairs. Funnily enough Lee Bartholomew and John Sweeney taught at the last one.

Lol yeah I had a mental block. Jivecraft (www.jivecraft.co.uk (http://www.jivecraft.co.uk)) they are currently running 1st move in Uckfield on a Thursday.

Did you go to the workshops Ant?

ant
15th-October-2008, 05:31 PM
Did you go to the workshops Ant?

Unfortunately not but I did go to the freestyle in the evening. Thanks for asking.

Minnie M
15th-October-2008, 05:55 PM
......Did you go to the workshops Ant?

Unfortunately not but I did go to the freestyle in the evening. Thanks for asking.

:whistle:

ant
15th-October-2008, 06:18 PM
:whistle:

Hi Minnie

You may be terrible people down there but it is always good to go down your way for a dance. If for no other reason than to dance with the legendary Minnie M. Thanks for the each month.

Minnie M
15th-October-2008, 06:21 PM
Hi Minnie

You may be terrible people down there but it is always good to go down your way for a dance. If for no other reason than to dance with the legendary Minnie M. Thanks for the each month.

wow ! Didn't expect that

Thank you :kiss: :hug: :kiss: :hug: :kiss: :hug:

SPROGGS
16th-October-2008, 01:22 PM
BUT... if I were you Modern Jiv'r I would NOT go to Sussex they are terrible people down there. You would be much better off in Hertrfordshire where I live and look who else you can dance with DTS, David Bailey and Trouble, what else do you want.

Thanks for your vote of support Ant....NOT So which Sussex towns have you danced in then?

There are far too many people running down people in Sussex over the past few months...:tantrum::tantrum: :banghead:

ant
16th-October-2008, 02:21 PM
Thanks for your vote of support Ant....NOT So which Sussex towns have you danced in then?

There are far too many people running down people in Sussex over the past few months...:tantrum::tantrum: :banghead:

I am definately not part of that scene and I really do like coming to Sussex. You appreciate that it is quite a long journey for me to get there. However I do try to go to the Jivecraft Bank Holiday events. I think that Hickstead is the only world class venue (horses not dancing admitedly) used in the MJ world, so I try and support it.

I also love Deca Dance events, I like the blues/tango extra bit, but generally only attend them when I can link them up with other events in the general area.

The Dance Infinity events also look very tempting but the journey has put me off so far. And people I have spoken to say that events at the King Alfred are worth a visit so I will also try and get down there for one of those events.

Brighton Belle
16th-October-2008, 05:14 PM
I also love Deca Dance events, I like the blues/tango extra bit,

The Dance Infinity events also look very tempting but the journey has put me off so far. And people I have spoken to say that events at the King Alfred are worth a visit so I will also try and get down there for one of those events.

:yeah:

These are all the ones I regularly attend and I would certainly recommend all of them. Depends also whether you want lessons or just a dance. Deca Dance is only on once a month or so and doesn't have a lesson (but does have 2 dance rooms) and King Alfred on a Friday only has intermediate but with some very good visiting teachers.

I also go to one in the centre of Brighton on a Tuesday at the Citygate centre www.danceparty-dance2000.co.uk (http://www.danceparty-dance2000.co.uk) They're not very good keeping the website up to date so don't be put off - the actual venue's great! (and very friendly).

You've been getting lots of advice about venues around Brighton - are you actually near Brighton?! You might be miles away - Sussex is quite a big place really

ant
16th-October-2008, 05:43 PM
:yeah:
You've been getting lots of advice about venues around Brighton - are you actually near Brighton?! You might be miles away - Sussex is quite a big place really

I live in borehamwood which is roughly 12 o'clock on the M25 and so a 2 hour drive to Brighton. I therefore have to really plan any visits down your way.

But..thanks for the advise and next time I am the area perhaps we can have a dance.

Paul F
17th-October-2008, 10:10 AM
After having such a good time last night I have to recommend one of Andy McGregors venues in Shoreham-by-sea.

Before I start it is true I taught a one-off class there a short time ago but this is in no way a means at which to advertise. I didn't even advertise my own class when I was teaching it. Im posting because I enjoyed it last night as a regular customer.

The reason I am recommending the Thursday night in Shoreham is because, well, it's a really good laugh.

Went down there again last night and took part in Andy's classes. I dont think I have ever seen a class laugh so much in any MJ lesson that I have seen.
I remember really enjoying some guys salsa lessons at S'port. (cant remember name). He got everyone laughing which created such a good atmosphere. Well it's like that at Shoreham.

I even had one lady in the class say to me that she loves Andy because he has her in stitches!! She was nearly crying at one point through laughing :nice: Poor girl. Maybe we should get her back to her secure unit asap :wink:

All in all it is a great floor, nice big venue, normal MJ music, fun lessons and it goes on until 11:30. Credit where credit is due. Good venue.

*Unfortunately I had to leave with my girlfriend at 10:30. We took along one of her work colleagues. After doing the class and watching the freestyle she promptly began to belittle MJ and people who dance it. Really made me angry. I think it is because she couldnt do it! :mad:

Andy McGregor
17th-October-2008, 03:54 PM
Went down there again last night and took part in Andy's classes. I dont think I have ever seen a class laugh so much in any MJ lesson that I have seen.

-snip-

I even had one lady in the class say to me that she loves Andy because he has her in stitches!! She was nearly crying at one point through laughing :nice: Poor girl. Maybe we should get her back to her secure unit asap :wink:We do have a few mad ladies. They're my favourites :waycool:

*Unfortunately I had to leave with my girlfriend at 10:30. We took along one of her work colleagues. After doing the class and watching the freestyle she promptly began to belittle MJ and people who dance it. Really made me angry. I think it is because she couldnt do it! :mad:I didn't notice this lady, but wondered why you left early. What dance does she do that's so special/popular?

It's a shame you left so early, the music starts to change from the usual MJ mix at around 10.30pm. I add in more swing, Latin & Blues and generally make it more interesting with less pop music.

Paul F
17th-October-2008, 04:30 PM
It's a shame you left so early, the music starts to change from the usual MJ mix at around 10.30pm. I add in more swing, Latin & Blues and generally make it more interesting with less pop music.

She is someone who has trained in contemporary in some of the popular studios in London apparently.
I have seen the same attitude before from people who come from a trained background who then see MJ and, due to it's comparative lack of structure, proceed in talking it down.

The most noteable instance is when I introduced a friend of mine from my Ballroom school to MJ many moons ago. She instantly dismissed it after 1 class as something she wouldnt really like. It was the snippy comments that annoyed me most.
Didn't bother me. I just carried on having a laugh with my friends who were there at the time and let her sit in the corner.

We could have just let her sit there all night last night but we thought it cruel. :rolleyes:

Martin
19th-October-2008, 01:03 PM

Don't you just HATE that, as an advanced dancer, when you have to wait to the end to get good tracks to dance to?

Then the organiser wonders why the advanced dancers turn up late... :blush:

Lee Bartholomew
19th-October-2008, 03:20 PM
Don't you just HATE that, as an advanced dancer, when you have to wait to the end to get good tracks to dance to?

Then the organiser wonders why the advanced dancers turn up late... :blush:

Yup, Why not just play good tracks from the very beginning?

Andy McGregor
19th-October-2008, 04:51 PM

Then the organiser wonders why the advanced dancers turn up late... :blush:There is no such thing as a bad track. It's all to do with taste and, from a dancing point of view, it's to do with suitability for purpose. There's always somebody who thinks a track is good. However, for some kinds of music there might not be many people. Think about swing music, it's the Marmite(tm) of music played at MJ nights: some people love swing and others hate it, but most people have an opinion. Music choice is all about taste, De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum, as they say.

When you're choosing music for a week-night Modern Jive class you need to consider the audience and the purpose of those tracks you play early on during the freestyle. When the second freestyle starts there are some people in the room who've been dancing for 90 minutes. You need to choose music where the beat is clear, and not to quick. But not too slow either. If you get this wrong the beginners do not return because they think the dance is too hard. People who think they are advanced dancers might complain that this music is basic and come along when the music gets more "interesting" - however, an actual advanced dancer would find something within that music to make it an interesting dance.

Martin
20th-October-2008, 05:38 AM
When you're choosing music for a week-night Modern Jive class you need to consider the audience and the purpose of those tracks you play early on during the freestyle. When the second freestyle starts there are some people in the room who've been dancing for 90 minutes. You need to choose music where the beat is clear, and not to quick. But not too slow either. If you get this wrong the beginners do not return because they think the dance is too hard.

:yeah: Not doubting the logic, there are very sound reasons for the format, fully understand the "why" ... does not stop me personally disliking the format

People who think they are advanced dancers might complain that this music is basic and come along when the music gets more "interesting"

:yeah: Or they might come along at the start of the evening help out in the beginners rotation and hang out for the last hour of music that is to thier preference, and enjoy the whole evening. :cheers:

- however, an actual advanced dancer would find something within that music to make it an interesting dance.

:angry: Oy, are you having a go at me and called me a crappy dancer? :rofl:

Of course you can search for interesting bits, nice not to work so hard and have the interesting bits offered on a plate :D

Now if I ruled the world....

Andy McGregor
20th-October-2008, 07:28 AM
Or they might come along at the start of the evening help out in the beginners rotation and hang out for the last hour of music that is to thier preference, and enjoy the whole evening. :cheers::yeah:

:angry: Oy, are you having a go at me and called me a crappy dancer? :rofl:No, I'm having a go at you for being a whinging Pom :wink:

Martin
20th-October-2008, 08:10 AM
No, I'm having a go at you for being a whinging Pom :wink:

:rofl:

All respect that it goes on to 11:30

They are great locally to me, but the latest they went onto was 10:30... until I activated "whinging pom mode", and now one of thier venues goes on to 11pm :clap: - result - see whinging sometimes works :D

Just have to leave it a while, then activate "whinging pom mode" again and see if it can go till 11:30... After that, maybe take on the world :devil::whistle:

Andy McGregor
20th-October-2008, 08:33 AM
All respect that it goes on to 11:30We made this change a while ago. It's the only night we do this but it seems that experienced dancers prefer to arrive late and leave late.

Martin
20th-October-2008, 09:09 AM
We made this change a while ago. It's the only night we do this but it seems that experienced dancers prefer to arrive late and leave late.

And why do you think that is Mr McGregor?

:rofl::rofl:

It seems we have done the full circle.

You know they are waiting for the music to "hot up", which is why you "hot it up" later in the night.

You do the formula until 10:30, which is when most beginners would go home anyway, then put on the tracks YOU like dancing too, which is when the more advanced dancers who stick around, or arrive for that session, turn up...

I know you have got to look after the beginners, now being honest... You love the music in the last hour don't you big boy... If you could have that to dance to, all night (on a personal level), you would. :yum:

SO, if you want the more experienced dancers to be there from the start, why not slip in one or two "goodies" during the night?

Andy McGregor
20th-October-2008, 09:45 AM
You do the formula until 10:30, which is when most beginners would go home anyway, then put on the tracks YOU like dancing too, which is when the more advanced dancers who stick around, or arrive for that session, turn up...

I know you have got to look after the beginners, now being honest... You love the music in the last hour don't you big boy... If you could have that to dance to, all night (on a personal level), you would. :yum:

SO, if you want the more experienced dancers to be there from the start, why not slip in one or two "goodies" during the night?I do start to "slip in one or two goodies" from about 10pm. However, I look at my line-up of nights as a whole. I have a Smooth Sunday where I play what I like all night. The more advanced dancers come and dance and have a great night with fab music and cake. And the less experienced dancers moan that they can't hear the beat in half the music. It just goes to show that you can't please all of the people all of the time.

Last Saturday night I played a set with a high proportion of swing in the Swing, Blues & Lindy Room for John Miller at Great Bookham. I've been shying away from swing music recently at classes and freestyles because I get complaints from a handful of individuals - I still play a few swing tracks, but only the common ones. On Saturday night part of the labelling said it was a swing room so I could indulge myself and the swing fans. There were even some tracks I played where Sue, my wife, said "I've never heard this before".

Even then, to prove you can't please all the people, I had some guy ask me to play some faster swing. There was a track playing at about 125bpm and he said "can you play some faster swing, about 120-130bpm would be good" :confused: So I put on "Watch the Birdie" (162bpm) :devil: He complained that you couldn't MJ to it because it was a Lindy track - IMHO this track is no problem for an experienced MJ dancer and it was in a room sold as partly for Lindy Hoppers :confused: