PDA

View Full Version : Remembrance - 11th November 2003

Andy McGregor
11th-November-2003, 10:36 AM
Today is the 11th Day of the 11th Month - at the 11th Hour read this and for two minutes sit quietly and remember.

They shall not grow old as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

For me this will be today's 'Last Post'.

Boomer
11th-November-2003, 12:55 PM
How sleep the brave, who sink to rest
By all their country's wishes blest.
When Spring, with dewy fingers cold,
Returns to deck their hallowed mould,
She there shall dress a sweeter sod
Than Fancy's feet have ever trod.

By fairy hands their knell is rung;
By forms unseen their dirge is sung;
There Honour comes, a pilgrim grey,
to bless the turf that wraps their clay;
And Freedom shall awhile repair
To dwell, a weeping hermit, there.

Bardsey
11th-November-2003, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Boomer

And Freedom shall awhile repair
To dwell, a weeping hermit, there.

Amen :tears:

Forte
11th-November-2003, 01:30 PM
Well done, Andy.

"What passing bells for these who die as cattle?
Only the monstrous anger of the guns
Only the stuttering rifles rapid rattle...

Dulce et Decorum est

by Wilfred Owen...

very moving...

Also watch Gallipoli a film starring a very young Mel Gibson..:tears: :tears:

and a thought for my wee 18 year old great uncle killed in France in WW11 :hug:

Dance Demon
11th-November-2003, 05:40 PM
well done Andy, for posting this thread. I stopped my truck for two minutes today at 11 am...much to the annoyance of a lady (who looked to be in her sixties)....because she couldnt get her car 20ft closer to her house to un load her shopping. as she passed she said she didn't think I was much of a gentleman. i then explained that I had stopped to mark the 2 minute silence, and she looked at me as if I was daft:confused: I thought a woman of her age, who probably experienced living during war time would be more understanding. Don't think it's asking too much to spend two minutes of the day, paying respect to people who gave their lives for our sake. some of the veterans who are still with us must wonder if it was all worth it sometimes....:sad:

Jon L
11th-November-2003, 07:51 PM
On a course at work I was on today we had silence at 11:20 at the end of a session.

My Granddad and Great Granddad fought in the 2nd and 1st world war repectively, so I always buy a poppy.

Alfie
11th-November-2003, 10:38 PM
Well Done for this post.
We stopped the whole works today, shopfloor and offices at 11 am. 250 people all observed the silence.
As an ex soldier who has lost freinds in "peace time" this means alot to me.

Gus
12th-November-2003, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by Jon L
My Granddad and Great Granddad fought in the 2nd and 1st world war repectively, so I always buy a poppy.

Aye .... My Grandad passed away last year at 105 ... having been survived the Somme while many of his friends didn't. Its still a sobering thoughts to think that even now there are young people who give their lives so that we can enjoy the freedoms that we take for granted.

.....Lest we forget...

Bardsey
12th-November-2003, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Gus
Aye .... My Grandad passed away last year at 105 ...
.....Lest we forget...

My God, what a brilliant innings he had ! Must have had some real stories to tell.

Gus
12th-November-2003, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Bardsey
My God, what a brilliant innings he had ! Must have had some real stories to tell.

Bit of a sore point ... never spent the time to really listen to them. did as a young lad but let work and everything else get in th way over recent years ... and the ageing process wasn't kind. Bottom line was that he died while I was out in NZ ... so didn't even get to bury him.

Age old lesson, appreciate your elders and get to know them and their lives now ... they wont be around for ever ... and when they're gone its too late to wonder about all the things they may have told you.

Jon L
12th-November-2003, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Gus
Age old lesson, appreciate your elders and get to know them and their lives now ... they wont be around for ever ... and when they're gone its too late to wonder about all the things they may have told you.

Always look after your family, my grandparents are still here, Grandad is 89 next month

Bardsey
13th-November-2003, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Gus

Isn't that the truth! I lost both my parents within 15 months of each other to cancer, about 3 years ago. I was very close to them and still miss them like crazy and although we did talk a lot, its amazing how many times since their passing I've thought "I'll have to ask mum (or dad) about......" so I guess no matter how much you did or didn't talk when they were here, you still miss their useful knowledge and experience of life.

Now I feel all :sad:

Forte
13th-November-2003, 12:45 PM
Isn't that the truth! I lost both my parents within 15 months of each other to cancer, about 3 years ago. I was very close to them and still miss them like crazy and although we did talk a lot, its amazing how many times since their passing I've thought "I'll have to ask mum (or dad) about......" so I guess no matter how much you did or didn't talk when they were here, you still miss their useful knowledge and experience of life.

Now I feel all :sad:

Have a :hug: Have two...:hug:

Pammy
13th-November-2003, 12:52 PM
Understand what you mean. My Grandad is 83 and had a massive heart attack and I sat there with holding his hand while it was happening. He has been left with only a third of a heart and at 20 stones, this is not a good thing. My family is incredibly close (which is great), but it bothers me all the time knowing the essentially he is on borrowed time and the fact that he’s had a long, happy and fulfilled life doesn’t change that does it??? Not when you love someone :tears: Now I feel sad too; maybe we could :hug: one another.

Px

Bardsey
13th-November-2003, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Forte
Have a :hug: Have two...:hug:

Awww thanks Jackster :kiss:

Bardsey
13th-November-2003, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Pammy
but it bothers me all the time knowing the essentially he is on borrowed time and the fact that he’s had a long, happy and fulfilled life doesn’t change that does it??? Not when you love someone :tears: Now I feel sad too; maybe we could :hug: one another.

Px

I can't decide whether its best for them to go unexpectedly, which I'm sure some would argue against, cos the shock must be incredible.... or whether its best to know a while in advance, like I did with mine. I think, after what my parents went through and what I went through having to watch that, I'd have preferred the former.

What does anyone else think? Perhaps this should be a separate thread.

here's my hugs to you Pamster :hug: :hug:

Pammy
13th-November-2003, 01:42 PM
[B]I'd have preferred the former.

I'd prefer the former too; if possible not alone. Had he have gone (which he thought he was going to), he was with his whole family; his three children, his wife and his grandchildren and in a way that has a nice touch to it.

I feel awful when I read stories about elderly people that have died alone, have lived alone with no visitors and haven't even been missed. Someone eventually discovers then when they come to read the meter or something, or when there's a smell and it's so sad and makes life seem so pointless...

Hmm, this is getting to sad isn't it.

:hug: back to you Bardster.

Px

Andy McGregor
13th-November-2003, 01:59 PM
I was very close to my grandparents and the often gave me sage advice - sometimes when I didn't think I needed it. They died years ago now and I feel like I carry something of them in me. Often, when I have a choice to make, I think 'What whould Nan say about this?' or 'what would make them proud?'. There's been many times I've thought, "I wish Nan and Granddad were here to see this they'd have loved it".

I've been surprised at how upsetting writing the above has been:tears: But luckily Sue's here and has given me a nice cuddle:hug:

I now feel better than I did before I posted this:D

Is this "Forum (group) Therapy"?

Bardsey
13th-November-2003, 02:04 PM
and it's so sad and makes life seem so pointless...

Px

I know what you mean. There is a theory though that the person who is dying choses when to go. When mum was going, luckily the cancer went to her kidneys and sent her into a coma, so she knew nothing in the last few days (I had to make the terrible decision not to revive.... but having seen Dad suffer horribly there wasn't really an option) I was by her bedside and the sister,seeing I was on my last legs, sent me home and said "if she wants you to be here when she goes, you will be, if not, then she could go when you slip to the loo or something" I went home and 2 hours later they phoned to say she had gone.

Oh dear, now I need something to cheer me up :tears:

Sorry folks, Pammy and I are getting rid of some grief!

:hug:

Bardsey
13th-November-2003, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Andy McGregor
There's been many times I've thought, "I wish Nan and Granddad were here to see this they'd have loved it".Me too, but mostly about mum and dad.
I've been surprised at how upsetting writing the above has been:tears: I now feel better than I did before I posted this:DAgain, me too. Even though its brought back a lot of sadness, I feel better being able to share it.
Is this "Forum (group) Therapy"? so the answer there is a YES

Pammy
13th-November-2003, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Andy McGregor
But luckily Sue's here and has given me a nice cuddle:hug:

Ahhhh, wish I could give you + Bardster a real cuddle.

Px

Bardsey
13th-November-2003, 04:28 PM
Ahhhh, wish I could give you + Bardster a real cuddle.

Px

Thanks Pamster, really appreciate that:kiss: :hug: