PDA

View Full Version : Need your help on this 2 : Revenge of the PC'less Geek.

Beowulf
25th-September-2008, 08:38 AM
Have been Sans PC for "some time" now and have been resorting to using a laptop from the dawn of man.. (Shortly after the black obelisk appeared my laptop was being used by the ape-like creatures to crack tapir's heads open!)

Anyway.. I get paid this Friday (YAY!!) and although I'd LIKE a $3000+ Alienware Uber-PC. My finances are being diverted elsewhere. (Weddings don't come cheap you know!)

I don't have the time (nor the patience) to build myself another new PC so for once I'm buying an off the shelf pre-made.

I've seen this one

Acer Aspire M3200 Phenom X4 9500 2.2 GHz 3 GB 1TB DVD±RW (+R double layer) GF 8400 GS Vista Home Premium - Ebuyer (http://www.ebuyer.com/product/143133/show_product_specifications?spectype=extended)

Seems an ok spec and in theory if I order it on Friday I can get next day delivery. But I can't shake off the feeling that there's probably a better machine out there for the money.

Any suggestions? Have looked at Dell, Acer, Morgan etc .. definitely want/require a desktop.. mini or midi tower -- at least 3gb mem .. preferably 4gb + and as much storage capacity as you can shoe horn in there.

SLI would be a bonus.. but not absolutely necessary. I don't play THAT many games and the ones I do are not really graphic card challenging !

Was also thinking of getting the above machine and probably some extra memory. I might up the graphics cards at some point too. it needs to be easily upgradable.

Lee Bartholomew
25th-September-2008, 08:49 AM
Might be worth paying the extra nner odd and going for this one Acer Veriton M464, Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 640GB HDD, DVD-RW, Vista Business - Ebuyer (http://www.ebuyer.com/product/148097)

It has the 4Gig mem, plus 2.4ghz processor. Only has 1 640Gig sata HD instead of 2 500Gig Sata (on a raid I guess) but to be honest I use a Raid config and dont really notice any difference.

Also comes with Vista Business. When I have brought PC's from Ebuyer, they dont come installed, just as a retail boxed OS which I have then sold on ebay.

Beowulf
25th-September-2008, 09:00 AM
Might be worth paying the extra tenner odd and going for this one

I looked at that one... yes it has more memory but it's maxed out. the one I was looking at has a max of 8gb and also the power supply on your linked one looks fairly weedy only 250 Watt. Mind you my one just says "power supply" !! :eek:

I know I can upgrade this at some point too.. but I'd rather not have to.

Dreadful Scathe
25th-September-2008, 09:02 AM
it looks like it is the 32bit version of Vista with both of those, so i would doubt there would be any point in having more than 3gb of memory. Go for 64bit FTW (no memory limit wooo). I also wouldn't worry about SLI/CrossFire; ATI already have dual GPU boards - coming down in price all the time too. Perhaps affordable when you get round to upgrading.

Also, do you really need Vista at all? 64bit Ubuntu is great and will run most of your stuff :)

Yliander
25th-September-2008, 09:15 AM
I did well with Asus Asus Laptop - UK Best Deal Sale Laptops Buy Notebook Computer Discount UK - Buy On-Line Laptops and Accessories for Business and Home (http://www.asuslaptop.co.uk/)

although you do have to be very clear with them about delivery address's if you need to change the delivery addresss

Dreadful Scathe
25th-September-2008, 09:49 AM
I did well with Asus Asus Laptop - UK Best Deal Sale Laptops Buy Notebook Computer Discount UK - Buy On-Line Laptops and Accessories for Business and Home (http://www.asuslaptop.co.uk/)

although you do have to be very clear with them about delivery address's if you need to change the delivery addresss
thats all very well Yli, but he doesn't want a laptop ;)

Beowulf
25th-September-2008, 10:02 AM
iAlso, do you really need Vista at all? 64bit Ubuntu is great and will run most of your stuff :)

Heck no !! first thing that'll be uninstalled.. i'll stick with Xp for the time being :)

Not tried Ubuntu really.. a lot of the stuff I need to do is Windows/ Windows Mobile software development so not sure.

Might get the XP 64 bit upgrade though..

Yliander
25th-September-2008, 11:03 AM
thats all very well Yli, but he doesn't want a laptop ;) oopps :blush: *makes note to self - read more carefully before replying*

but why not a laptop - they are so much more handy than musty old desk bound PC's

Dreadful Scathe
25th-September-2008, 11:10 AM
oopps :blush: *makes note to self - read more carefully before replying*

but why not a laptop - they are so much more handy than musty old desk bound PC's
Beowulfs plans for world domination will not be satisfied by a low spec laptop. He requires expanability and raw power ... whilst sitting behind a large TFT stroking a white pussy :)

clevedonboy
25th-September-2008, 11:55 AM
Heck no !! first thing that'll be uninstalled.. i'll stick with Xp for the time being :)

Not tried Ubuntu really.. a lot of the stuff I need to do is Windows/ Windows Mobile software development so not sure.

Might get the XP 64 bit upgrade though..

I run xp 64 - many virus checkers don't work (Kaspersky does) and lots of small company software doesn't like it - our VPN software wouldn't run on it for over a year so I had to have a dual boot installation for when i really needed to get onto the company network :banghead: (fortunately not that often)

Generally though it's preferable to Vista.

As for the PC I bought a couple of similar machines for my wife's workplace from Ebuyer - they've been well behaved to date

Beowulf
25th-September-2008, 12:10 PM
Beowulfs plans for world domination will not be satisfied by a low spec laptop. He requires expanability and raw power ... whilst sitting behind a large TFT stroking a white pussy :)

:yeah: which is why I really want a Uber-ultra-mega-gigaflop behemoth full tower Beowulf cluster (nice name for them I always thought)

This mere abacus will fulfil my needs until I get my Alienware (or similar) bleeding edge PC..

.. until then world domination must wait.

(and I just don't like laptops! sorry!!)

Ps. I used to have a Ginger hamster closest thing to a white cat.. she used to sit on my shoulder while I programmed.. (and whisper coding changes into my ear ;) )

martingold
25th-September-2008, 04:39 PM
dont know if this has been said before but no point in going anything above 3 gig ram unless you intend on using a 64 bit operating system as none of the 32bit ones will see anymore than 3 gig and thats if your lucky

I am running 64bit vista ultimate and it works a treat on 4 gig of ram fast as a fast thing and works with all my software
had to upgrade my drivers though but its great

Beowulf
25th-September-2008, 05:28 PM
yeah I'd heard that.. As I said earlier I'd be blanning on uninstalling Vista and installing XP 64 bit. If I remember correctly the upgrade from XP32 isn't too expensive.

Anyway this is a moot point. I was going to order this Tomorrow for Saturday delivery (only time we're in to collect it) but have just found out I have other plans for Satuday so have to wait another week before I finally get to throw this worthless piece of junk laptop I'm currently using out the window ;)

(is there a recycling scheme for craptops? it might make someone a nice hefty paperweight)

Dreadful Scathe
25th-September-2008, 06:51 PM
dont know if this has been said before but no point in going anything above 3 gig ram unless you intend on using a 64 bit operating system as none of the 32bit ones will see anymore than 3 gig and thats if your lucky

yes it has been said :rolleyes: this thread only has 13 posts, is your reading speed like that of a 2 year old ? :)

I am running 64bit vista ultimate and it works a treat on 4 gig of ram fast as a fast thing and works with all my software
had to upgrade my drivers though but its great

but yes, 64bit - the way to go :)

martingold
25th-September-2008, 08:28 PM
yes it has been said :rolleyes: this thread only has 13 posts, is your reading speed like that of a 2 year old ? :)

my reading speed might be like that of a two year old but at least my sense of humour isnt

Beowulf
25th-September-2008, 09:31 PM
it gets worse.. my craptop is now a flattop.. very nearly a snaptop !! I put it on the floor.. went to shut the curtains.. stepped back.. and .. erm...

..stood on it :blush:

It's got a really nice grating sound.. like something metal rubbing against the CPU fan :blush:.. the keyboard fell out.. along with the floppy drive (dead weight really)

oops !! :doh:

Dreadful Scathe
25th-September-2008, 09:35 PM
my reading speed might be like that of a two year old but at least my sense of humour isnt
yes that is lucky. :)

martingold
26th-September-2008, 07:38 AM
oops !! :doh:
:yeah:

Lost Leader
26th-September-2008, 07:59 PM
Having read what you learnt in the last 24 hours, maybe you need to put in a call to the help desk :lol:

Beowulf
27th-September-2008, 10:13 AM
Having read what you learnt in the last 24 hours, maybe you need to put in a call to the help desk :lol:

:angry:

Where's my gun??

:wink::D

Lory
27th-September-2008, 10:31 AM
Why don't you just get an Apple? :whistle:

martingold
27th-September-2008, 07:23 PM
do you think he needs to suck up to a teacher?

Beowulf
27th-September-2008, 11:36 PM

I need a proper computer.. not a fashion accessory. :na:

martingold
28th-September-2008, 09:44 AM
I need a proper computer.. not a fashion accessory. :na::lol::lol::lol:

Dreadful Scathe
29th-September-2008, 09:27 AM
I need a proper computer.. not a fashion accessory. :na:
Twirly is all the fashion accessory you'll ever need ;)

Lee Bartholomew
30th-September-2008, 04:09 PM
Have you got a new PC yet Beo? What did you get?

Beowulf
1st-October-2008, 08:02 AM
Have you got a new PC yet Beo? What did you get?

Not yet.. still using the Laptop from the "Dawn of Man" that I crushed underfoot at the moment.. however my new PC is on order and SHOULD be with me on Saturday.

In the end I went for the Acer Phenom from Ebuyer. It may not be the best machine out there. But necessity is the mother of compromise (Invention is actually necessity’s adopted child. :wink:)

This is a stop gap. Normally I would spec the various components and build a PC to my exacting standards. but I have neither the time nor the patience (nor the space nor the money) to do this just now. I'll make do with this off the shelf one and replace some components as and when required.

In the meantime I'm saving for the wedding / honeymoon. Once that's past then I'll be in a better situation to do my dream self-build again. I actually feel like a bit of a sell out.. this is the first off the shelf PC I've purchased in some 15 to 20 years :tears: :blush: I'm sure it'll be "adequate" for my needs in the meantime.

Beowulf
5th-October-2008, 01:59 PM
however my new PC is on order and SHOULD be with me on Saturday.

It was.. and it's FAST!! much faster than I was anticipating.. I'm even quite liking Vista and thinking about leaving it on !!

Lee Bartholomew
5th-October-2008, 02:07 PM
Vista is actually a decent OS when it runs on a decent spec machine. Now hardware is coming out with Vista in mind, the difference between Vista and XP is clear.

Gojive
6th-October-2008, 10:53 AM
Would that be a single or duo core spec? :na:

martingold
6th-October-2008, 11:01 AM
It was.. and it's FAST!! much faster than I was anticipating.. I'm even quite liking Vista and thinking about leaving it on !!
What spec did you get then

Vista is actually a decent OS when it runs on a decent spec machine. Now hardware is coming out with Vista in mind, the difference between Vista and XP is clear.
:yeah:my 4 month old acer lappy runs like a rocket