PDA

View Full Version : Restoring firefox/IE saved passwords??

Beowulf
20th-September-2008, 06:27 PM
Ok Geek Squad..
Your mission.. should you choose to accept it is this..

My PC died recently. Forcing me into the hell of the painfully slow laptop from the dawn of time. The one Noah threw away as he needed an upgrade. :rolleyes:

I recently performed minor surgery on my dead PC's rotting corpse and extracted my harddrives which I have now connected to my laptop with a very handy USB to IDE/SATA connector cable.

I can copy files across (but it's SLOW!! Only USB 1 you see on this antique!!) but all my saved passwords etc in both IE and Firefox are gone.. And guess who cannot remember the passwords to some of his sites?? :doh: :banghead:

Have copied all cookies.. and files from my application data hidden folders. (Where I could) I could access the Administrator application data files..but when I click on PETE's application data I get access denied messages... even though I am an administrator (and logged in as such) on this Laptop. :confused:

Am at a bit of a loss.. I feel my geek skills failing. I did a search on t'internet for info and found some information that I eagerly applied which then monumentally failed to work :rolleyes:

Anyone know the best/easiest/quickest/cheapest/happiest/sexiest/lots of other'ests way to transfer any and all settings/passwords etc from the remains of my dead behemoth?

frodo
21st-September-2008, 11:01 PM
Have copied all cookies.. and files from my application data hidden folders. (Where I could) I could access the Administrator application data files..but when I click on PETE's application data I get access denied messages... even though I am an administrator (and logged in as such) on this Laptop.
It might be that administrators can generally give themselves rights, but sometimes don't have rights by default.

Probably not easiest/quickest especially over a slow connection, but assuming the hard disk is undamaged, one method i've used in the past is to boot the recovered hard disk attached by USB in a virtual machine, in read only mode so nothing is damaged/multiple attempts are possible.