PDA

View Full Version : Outside and Upstairs posts don't appear on my search

Zebra Woman
10th-September-2008, 08:41 AM
???

Just wondered why everyone's search settings have changed overnight.

Wierdly it co-incides with the 2 Southport threads going outside, and the original 'Feb Southport = Blush' thread disappearing....Where did that go? Is it just me?

Is there a reason for this Franck? FWIW some of the posts on those threads have been extremely upsetting to read. Regardless of that, I really appreciate having the choice to read those threads, and easily search for them. That's what makes us better than Facebook isn't it?

For anyone interested, it's easy to change things back to how they were before:

User CP
Edit options
Down at the bottom - click on the threads you want to come up in your searches so they all have a white background ('Outside','Upstairs', and 'Test Messages' were blued out).
Save changes

ZW

EDIT: The 'Feb Southport = Blush' thread can be found by doing a word search for 'blush' on titles only. Easy, but not very convenient.

Franck
10th-September-2008, 09:05 AM
Just wondered why everyone's search settings have changed overnight.Hi,

The 'Search' settings were changed in December 2006, to remove Upstairs, Outside and Testing from the Recent and New posts Searches by default, unless you re-activated them as default.

Here is a similar exchange I had with Silverfox then :)

Is it just me, but 'Recent Posts' doesn't appear to be including 'Take it Upstairs' anymore.

Which means posts on the 'Truth or Dare' thread won't be seen by those of us who use 'Recent Posts'.

Is this intentional?
Upstairs is disabled by default from recent / new searches, but you can select areas to ignore (and re-activate it) in your User Control Panel (available to Silver Members only).
I decided that Outside and Upstairs should not be included automatically for new members so as to present a less objectionable image, though the posts are still there for everyone (registered) to see when browsing or searching forums.

Now that I have created the Private Lounge, I'm happy to move the Truth or Dare thread there instead of upstairs if you all believe it would be more suitable?

Lou
10th-September-2008, 10:15 AM
Hi,

The 'Search' settings were changed in December 2006, to remove Upstairs, Outside and Testing from the Recent and New posts Searches by default, unless you re-activated them as default.

Here is a similar exchange I had with Silverfox then :)

Would they have reset when you did the Forum upgrade?

I thought I'd previously set them to display (but I'm not 100% certain), but I've just gone in & found mine was set to not search outside/upstairs as well.

And just to add to Zebra Woman's helpful instructions: if you click on "none" in the list of excluded forums, it automatically removes all the ones that were previously selected (so you don't have to click each one to deselect it). (Don't forget to press the save changes button!)

Franck
10th-September-2008, 10:20 AM
Would they have reset when you did the Forum upgrade?
Quite possibly, I had to re-install pretty much all the 'add-ons' after the Forum upgrade so all would have reset to default.

SilverFox
10th-September-2008, 11:00 AM
:confused:

The change to our Control Panel settings definitely happened last night , as yesterday Outside posts were included and this morning they were not. So the upgrade doesn't explain that at all.

Sorry to be a bore but as ZW asked why does the original "Southport Feb = Blush" thread not appear in New Posts or Outside or anywhere in fact except a specific search?

Sheepman
10th-September-2008, 11:09 AM

The change to our Control Panel settings definitely happened last night , as yesterday Outside posts were included and this morning they were not. So the upgrade doesn't explain that at all.:yeah: You beat me to it, that's just what I was thinking, and as CERN is still really only warming up, we can't blame it on being switched into another dimension...

Greg

drathzel
10th-September-2008, 11:15 AM
Where can i tick to choose to see these?

Zebra Woman
10th-September-2008, 11:18 AM

The change to our Control Panel settings definitely happened last night , as yesterday Outside posts were included and this morning they were not. So the upgrade doesn't explain that at all.

Sorry to be a bore but as ZW asked why does the original "Southport Feb = Blush" thread not appear in New Posts or Outside or anywhere in fact except a specific search?

Yeah That.

The recent forum upgrade did not affect my searching, I know because I was able to see the 'Rocky and Cruella Up a Tree' thread in my normal searching yesterday.

This morning I couldn't see any ouside/ upstairs posts - so a change definitely happened last night. Has no-one else noticed this?

SilverFox
10th-September-2008, 11:18 AM
Where can i tick to choose to see these?See ZW's post at the top of the thread.:flower:

Lory
10th-September-2008, 11:27 AM
Hmm, nothing's changed on mine, as far as I can see :confused:

Lou
10th-September-2008, 11:27 AM

'Cos the last post was on 8th September, so there were no new posts?

And you have the Display Options for "Outside" to show posts from The Last Day only? :wink:

SilverFox
10th-September-2008, 11:33 AM

And you have the Display Options for "Outside" to show posts from The Last Day only? :wink:Interesting Lou. My cut off is set to Forum Default, so this could be the case if that default is 1 day for Outside threads, because it's longer for others.

Lou
10th-September-2008, 11:45 AM
Interesting Lou. My cut off is set to Forum Default, so this could be the case if that default is 1 day for Outside threads, because it's longer for others.

Me too. :D That's why I noticed.

Zebra Woman
10th-September-2008, 12:50 PM

And you have the Display Options for "Outside" to show posts from The Last Day only? :wink:

I think you're right Lou - that's what is happening. I was being paranoid.

My mistake sorry.

As far as I know, the threads are not being hidden or moderated in a bad way.

Big sorry to the moderating team from me - you're all doing a grand job here, in very difficult times.

ZW

Cruella
10th-September-2008, 12:55 PM
Yeah That.

The recent forum upgrade did not affect my searching, I know because I was able to see the 'Rocky and Cruella Up a Tree' thread in my normal searching yesterday.

This morning I couldn't see any ouside/ upstairs posts - so a change definitely happened last night. Has no-one else noticed this?

Maybe it was the earthquake :whistle: (You're not that far from Rugby)

David Bailey
10th-September-2008, 02:37 PM
Big sorry to the moderating team from me - you're all doing a grand job here, in very difficult times.
Does that mean I get to slap you too?

My coat? Why, thank you very much.