PDA

View Full Version : Intimidation/awestruck awkwardness

Boomer
4th-October-2003, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Andy McGregor

If you aren't scared of Nina you must be very brave. I did the Ceroc champs with her and as I got to know her better I just found new reasons to be very afraid - and some of them had nothing to do with dancing:wink: :devil:

Was Nina teaching last night? can't remember the teachers name (refer to Beginners and chewing gum:grin: ). She had a go at me for not dancing enough. I went back and doubled my amount of dances (still not many) - fearsome woman.:nice:

Andy McGregor
4th-October-2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Boomer
Was Nina teaching last night? can't remember the teachers name (refer to Beginners and chewing gum:grin: ). She had a go at me for not dancing enough. I went back and doubled my amount of dances (still not many) - fearsome woman.:nice:

Be very afraid...

p.s. Did she look very much like the very attractive Olive Oyl in my Avatar with me?

Boomer
4th-October-2003, 05:47 PM
Be very afraid...

p.s. Did she look very much like the very attractive Olive Oyl in my Avatar with me?

I can't tell, she's not snarling into my face effong and blinding and slapping me upside the head with her bag...I think there 'is' a similarity. A truely fearsome, but effective, woman/teacher:nice:

ChrisA
4th-October-2003, 06:16 PM
If you aren't scared of Nina you must be very brave.

I never said I wasn't scared of her - just not _quite_ so terrified.

Jules scares me too, though I kind of know what to expect now, so at least I avoid the "startled rabbit" look when I pluck up the courage to have a dance with her.

C

Boomer
4th-October-2003, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by ChrisA
...I avoid the "startled rabbit" look when I pluck up the courage to have a dance with her.

C

Ah yes, the startled rabbit look, alledgedly I adopt that one when I successfully complete a move - any move. No idea what I look like when I think about/atually ask a woman to dance, but it kind of feels like a David Attenbrough montage: group of lionesses, minding own business, having a bit of a natter (as lionesses do) suddenly stop and fix their unblinking 'we could tear you to peices' stare on this little antelope who, for some reason, has plucked up the courage/stupidity to ask if it's ok to join them for a while coz it's cold out here, on my own, all alone, no one to talk, just lil ol me?

Of course, unlike Dickie's montages, this has a happy ending - but that is still how I feel. Would love to know how I look at those moments...I think:nice:

Andy McGregor
4th-October-2003, 06:41 PM
I never said I wasn't scared of her - just not _quite_ so terrified.

Jules scares me too, though I kind of know what to expect now, so at least I avoid the "startled rabbit" look when I pluck up the courage to have a dance with her.

C

I suppose I'm a different kind of terrified now I've got to know Nina a bit better - but still scared of saying or doing something to incur her disfavour:what:

Jules isn't really scary as a dancer - although she is brilliant. She's just scary as a person. She's taller and fitter than me and she's a psychologist - that means she knows what I'm thinking:blush:

Boomer
4th-October-2003, 06:44 PM
she's a psychologist - that means she knows what I'm thinking:blush:

Wish I didn't have to go to work:devil: there's an 'arms wide open' comment if ever I heard one:rofl: will have to wait I guess:nice:

Andy McGregor
4th-October-2003, 06:45 PM
Of course, unlike Dickie's montages, this has a happy ending - but that is still how I feel. Would love to know how I look at those moments...I think:nice:

Let's hope they never tell you:devil:

ChrisA
4th-October-2003, 07:38 PM
Jules isn't really scary as a dancer :really:

Now that, together with posing with Nina in your avatar, would almost qualify you as a hotshot...

... good job you posted your rant earlier today or I might have got the wrong impression. :D :D :D :D

Andy McGregor
5th-October-2003, 11:53 AM
:really:

Now that, together with posing with Nina in your avatar, would almost qualify you as a hotshot...

... good job you posted your rant earlier today or I might have got the wrong impression. :D :D :D :D

Now I think about it, the main reason I don't find Jules scary as a dancer is that at the Blackpool championships last year she used me as a demonstrator in the hotel bar. She was demonstrating moves where the woman accidentally places her breasts in her partners hands:what: :blush: :devil:

After that baptism of fire, anything else she does to me seems much less scary:waycool:

Lounge Lizard
5th-October-2003, 02:07 PM
Now I think about it, the main reason I don't find Jules scary as a dancer is that at the Blackpool championships last year she used me as a demonstrator in the hotel bar. She was demonstrating moves where the woman accidentally places her breasts in her partners hands:what: :blush: :devil:

Would that be a right tit feeling a right tit:blush:

Andy McGregor
5th-October-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Lounge Lizard

That would not be the way I'd put it. Not if I wanted to survive my next dance with Jules. I said I'm not scared of her as a dancer. The rest of her has me thinking of very sharp things being honed on a leather strop and then going SNIP!:what:

It's one step ahead of cutting edge technology - it's called 'bleeding edge technology' and it gives me the willies:tears:

Minnie M
5th-October-2003, 03:06 PM

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Minnie M
5th-October-2003, 03:08 PM
That would not be the way I'd put it. Not if I wanted to survive my next dance with Jules. I said I'm not scared of her as a dancer. The rest of her has me thinking of very sharp things being honed on a leather strop and then going SNIP!:what:

It's one step ahead of cutting edge technology - it's called 'bleeding edge technology' and it gives me the willies:tears:

:confused: :confused:

Andy McGregor
5th-October-2003, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Minnie M
:confused: :confused:

Feeling = is active - I remained very passive throughout, did no 'feeling'.

Tit - a kind of bird which I would never accuse Jules of being even if I was on the other side of the planet.

However, the Lounge Lizard must be applauded for his bravery in the face of such overwhelming firepower - maybe he doesn't believe the stories about 'Weapons of Mass Destruction'. There are none in Iraq, unless Jules pays the country a visit - my advice, find a deep bunker:devil:

CJ
6th-November-2003, 05:14 PM
This may get moved but...

Just an invitation really to see if anyone IS still intimidated by dancers in their venue...

or

anyone become good friends with someone who originally was "awesome"

???????????????????????????????????

Forte
6th-November-2003, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Ceroc Jock

Just an invitation really to see if anyone IS still intimidated by dancers in their venue...

or

???????????????????????????????????

I chant the mantra "Show no fear...show no fear..." before I dance with The Tramp :grin: it sometimes works...:what:

ChrisA
6th-November-2003, 06:01 PM

I take it you mean by virtue of their being so completely amazing that I am terrified to either (a) show up my miniscule talents in comparison or (b) spoil their dances

All the time, and it inhibits my dancing a great deal. But I refuse to be be beaten by such internal dragons. So I press through the fear and gradually it becomes less.

In fact one of the ways I am measuring my improvement is by noticing that I dare to dance with people by whose presence I would have been paralysed not all that long ago.

Chris

Forte
6th-November-2003, 06:17 PM
I
In fact one of the ways I am measuring my improvement is by noticing that I dare to dance with people by whose presence I would have been paralysed not all that long ago.

Chris

Same here. :grin:

TheTramp
6th-November-2003, 06:22 PM
Doesn't everyone get awestruck of certain dancers.

More than 2 years after I'd started dancing, there were still some women that I'd not been able to bring myself to ask to dance.

Of course, when I finally did get a dance with them, most turned out to be quite nice really :na:

Steve

ChrisA
6th-November-2003, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
More than 2 years after I'd started dancing, there were still some women that I'd not been able to bring myself to ask to dance.

Two years?

TWO YEARS???

Only two years?

Would someone in Scotland give the Trampster a slap for me, save me coming up there...:D

Lounge Lizard
6th-November-2003, 06:55 PM
Two years?

TWO YEARS???

Only two years?

Would someone in Scotland give the Trampster a slap for me, save me coming up there...:D
I agree with Steve 2 years is about right
I remember dancing with Nina and putting her into an unexpected star lift her look was precious.

The only woman I am still nervous of is Andy Mc G:wink:

Graham
6th-November-2003, 07:07 PM
Just an invitation really to see if anyone IS still intimidated by dancers in their venue...There's only one dancer in my venue who still intimidates me (Have you guessed who it is yet? *chuckle*). But I still have some nice dances with her. And very occasionally she has a nice dance with me :grin:

But I do get intimidated/awestruck when I go to events round the country - never ask anyone "awesome" I don't already know!

Gus
6th-November-2003, 07:29 PM
Its a bit embarrassing to admit but I still get phased by some dancers. I remember last year having to pluck up the courage to ask Paul Tavanasau's girlfriend for a dance .... and what a great dance it was. It took me three years before I could ask Lydia for a dance ... and I still get nervous when I dance with her, despite the fact that she makes any dance a wonderful experience.

More of a problem these days is being intimidated by male dancers on the floor .... its not the over-ego'd show boaters that cause me problems, but the really cool dancers that I find that I prefer to watch than end up dancing near to .... the likes of Pistol Pete, Viktor etc come into that category. I know it shouldn't matter but human nature is human nature
:blush:

DavidB
6th-November-2003, 07:54 PM
I get nervous asking anyone I don't know for a dance. It doesn't matter if they are absolute beginners, or future World Champions - I get nervous.

I'm always more comfortable asking someone I know, or at least danced with before.

Jon
6th-November-2003, 09:01 PM
I get nervous asking people I think are better than me too dance. I really wanted to ask Nina once but couldnt bring myself too, then she asked me and turns out it was an amazing dance one that I'll treasure.

Minnie M
6th-November-2003, 09:29 PM
It usually takes me all evening to ask good dancers I have never danced with and then I try so hard to follow their lead I usually mess up and then worry about it all the way home, thinking I could never ask them again, and they will never ask me now :tears:

I am lucky that I know lots of good dancers as friends and therefore they don't seem to mind dancing with me - I love dancing with them so much, I try hard not to worry that I will not give them that 'special' follow they get with the good dancers (the likes Lilyb, Natalie, Kate, Tas etc etc.)

PS: MARTIN from Oz aka Marty (one of my dancing heros) has in another thread, said I was a smooth dancer - wow :blush: I am so chuffed - wow and wow again :D :D :D - that will certainly help my confidence

Lory
6th-November-2003, 10:14 PM
I'm awe struck by good Women dancers, far more than I am by the good men, I love to watch them and I'm constantly amazed and envious of how they appear to be able make the dance 'their own', they seem to find time to add their own little touches and style (I'm still at the 'just about keeping up stage')

I don't think I've ever been really intimidated enough by a man, to prevent me from asking them for a dance in the first place but the intimidation might set in after, if I didn't perform as well as I'd hoped and I got the impression they hadn't enjoyed it, in that case would never ask them again!

When I have one of those evenings, like you Minnie, I go home worrying about it, feeling deflated and in 'beat my self up' mode! :tears:

ChrisA
7th-November-2003, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by Minnie M
It usually takes me all evening to ask good dancers I have never danced with and then I try so hard to follow their lead I usually mess up and then worry about it all the way home, thinking I could never ask them again, and they will never ask me now :tears:

Well, stop worrying now babe.

Any guy you can't follow can't lead worth a light. :hug: :hug:

Chris

Daisy
7th-November-2003, 01:31 AM
[If I hadn't performed as well as I'd hoped and i got the impression they hadn't enjoyed it, in that case would never ask them again![/QUOTE]

My sentiments exactly Lory

ChrisA
7th-November-2003, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by Lory
I go home worrying about it, feeling deflated and in 'beat my self up' mode! :tears:
Yeah, hon, and you can stop that and all.

"Beating myself up" - that's the guy's job. I can honestly say that I know everything there is to know on that topic. Even Boomer may act like he's an expert, but he isn't. It takes time to know just how much to beat up on yourself.

How 'bout you let me do all the "beating myself up" required???

If you can't follow me, read my lips, it is not your lack of following ability, it's my lack of leading ability. Just dance with me and enjoy it - and relax in the knowledge that if it goes wrong it's my fault, and I'll try harder next time.

Chris

Minnie M
7th-November-2003, 08:58 AM
Well, stop worrying now babe.

Any guy you can't follow can't lead worth a light. :hug: :hug:

Chris

thank you :kiss: :hug: :kiss: - lovely thing to say - can't really get that in my head tho !

Gadget
7th-November-2003, 09:42 AM
It took me a couple of weeks to realise that I could ask anyone to dance without fear of dissapointing them (Most ladys just love to dance - as long as I don't injure them, they're happy:wink: ).
It took a couple of years to ask the teachers to dance.
I still find that I dance very simple and repetative dances with Lorna, but I danced with Lisa before she got her stripes, so I tend to loosen up a bit more and play arround in dances with her. :D:D

I'm still to ask Franck to dance :what:, but since I know I can't follow, I don't ask any men to dance :grin: {Let me try to master leading before I try to learn another skill}

Chris
7th-November-2003, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Gadget
It took a couple of years to ask the teachers to dance.
I still find that I dance very simple and repetative dances with Lorna, but I danced with Lisa before she got her stripes, so I tend to loosen up a bit more and play arround in dances with her. :D:D

I love dancing with Lisa when I get the chance - like you, Gadget, had the pleasure of dancing with her before she learnt all that Ceroc teacher stuff - she didn't need Ceroc training to show her how to dance beautifully! If I dance with a teacher I have to put it out of my mind that they're a teacher (unless I was asking them to show me something specific, and that goes for anyone - a teacher's only a teacher when they're 'teaching').
:cheers:
ps I've never asked Franck for a dance before either - errr . . . what's he like at following?:devil:

TheTramp
7th-November-2003, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Chris
ps I've never asked Franck for a dance before either - errr . . . what's he like at following?:devil: Ummm. Actually, he's not that bad :devil: :rofl:

Steve

Rachel
7th-November-2003, 12:51 PM

In the venues Marc teaches, no, I don't think so, cos I know most people and they're all really friendly.

Outside these venues, yes, all the time! The only men I can get up the nerve to approach for a dance are those who look like they're a beginner, and if they're stood/sat all on their own.

There are many people I'm awestruck by who, when I get to know them, I realise are not in the slightest bit intimidating.

I was really nervous asking James - JiveBrummie - to dance when they were visiting last week. He's an amazing dancer! But such a lovely guy, and I really enjoyed our dances.

Same goes for DavidB - who I always love to dance with, but am nervous to ask because I'm scared I'll mess it all up.

I was once physically pushed up to Viktor to ask him for a dance. He told me he just needed to change his shirt. I thought he was fobbing me off and wandered away. A little later, he managed to find me and asked where I'd gone to. Since then, we've had some brilliant dances.

Amir I still haven't worked up the courage to ask to dance - though he's a wonderful person to talk to!

And, of course, there's Marc - awesome and drop-dead gorgeous. Someone who, when I very first saw him, I so desperately wanted to dance with, but couldn't possibly ask. Thankfully, he came up to ask me. And that was just the beginning of a long and beautiful relationship...
Rachel

Pammy
7th-November-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Rachel
And, of course, there's Marc - awesome and drop-dead gorgeous. Someone who, when I very first saw him, I so desperately wanted to dance with, but couldn't possibly ask. Thankfully, he came up to ask me. And that was just the beginning of a long and beautiful relationship...
Rachel

Ahhhh, and like I've said to you, I enjoy watching you two dance as there is something romantic about it, the way you look at one another; it's lovely, really sweet.

Sorry, I'm being very girlie and smiley. It is nice to see though :hug:

Rachel
7th-November-2003, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Pammy
Ahhhh, and like I've said to you, I enjoy watching you two dance as there is something romantic about it, the way you look at one another; it's lovely, really sweet.

Sorry, I'm being very girlie and smiley. It is nice to see though :hug: Oh thank you!!! You mean, in those seconds when we're not actually arguing?
R. x

Forte
7th-November-2003, 01:56 PM
I was really nervous asking James - JiveBrummie - to dance when they were visiting last week. He's an amazing dancer! But such a lovely guy, and I really enjoyed our dances.

Rachel

I think James just exudes joy and happiness when he dances...it is so nice to see! He and Melanie deserved to win the Intermediate Scottish champs. :cheers:

Rachel
7th-November-2003, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Forte
I think James just exudes joy and happiness when he dances...it is so nice to see! He and Melanie deserved to win the Intermediate Scottish champs. :cheers: I wasn't at the Scottish Champs, but I've no doubt that's true. Marc got to dance with Melanie last week and was like 'WOW!'

Lounge Lizard
7th-November-2003, 04:36 PM
I wasn't at the Scottish Champs, but I've no doubt that's true. Marc got to dance with Melanie last week and was like 'WOW!'

I agree with Marc I danced with Mel at the comp. and she is SO great
but so are you our dances at RB were fantastic
Peter

Jon L
7th-November-2003, 07:04 PM
I agree with Steve 2 years is about right
I remember dancing with Nina and putting her into an unexpected star lift her look was precious.

The only woman I am still nervous of is Andy Mc G:wink:

After that photo last week - I am not suprised

Two years I'd agree with Mr. Lizard on this one, this time last year I still get nervous about asking someone I know is a good dancer to dance and I still think I could make myself look silly here!

I have had some really great dances this year with Alina, Lily and a particularly good one with Nina last month.

Incidentally I danced for the first time with Janine Myers back in the summer now then I WAS nervous (even though I had been dancing three years) ! but she was fine.

Tazmanian Devil
7th-November-2003, 07:34 PM
I used to get a bit weiry of asking certain good dancers to dance but in the last 2 years I have gained alot of confidence and now will ask anyone to dance no problem. :kiss: :hug:

Paul F
7th-November-2003, 09:54 PM
Its only in the last 4/5 months that i have asked certain ladies to dance.

Now i would go along with what Gus said earlier. The times i do think twice about asking a lady to dance is when she has just danced with the likes of victor et al. ie. being phased by the guys as well as the women.

With regard to the lady dancers now, I believe if something did go wrong that most would simply laugh about it (hopefully with me not at me :blush: :blush: ).
If they didnt I wouldnt want to dance with them!

DavidY
9th-November-2003, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by TheTramp
Doesn't everyone get awestruck of certain dancers.There are lots of people that still make me feel awestruck.

Of course, when I finally did get a dance with them, most turned out to be quite nice really True, but this doesn't always help.

I can think of some people that smile when I dance with them, thank me politely at the end of the dance, and sometimes even ask me for a dance. However, precisely because they are so nice, I know that they'd probably behave in the same way with the worst beginner in the room. I know that I don't have the musicality, style etc. of the better people around, so often feel I don't quite measure up.:blush: :blush:

ChrisA
9th-November-2003, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by DavidY
True, but this doesn't always help.

I can think of some people that smile when I dance with them, thank me politely at the end of the dance, and sometimes even ask me for a dance. However, precisely because they are so nice, I know that they'd probably behave in the same way with the worst beginner in the room. I know that I don't have the musicality, style etc. of the better people around, so often feel I don't quite measure up.:blush: :blush:
And how well I know that feeling :tears: . There is no way round this, other than to become a better dancer. :really:

If I don't measure up, I don't measure up, and that's that.

However, if I concentrate on getting better, rather than on not measuring up, guess what happens :nice: :nice:

Chris

Bardsey
10th-November-2003, 01:55 PM
I must be a right forward little hussy..... but I never feel nervous about asking any fella to dance....even when its apparent they are a Hotshot....I asked Bill to dance when he was in Leeds and I really enjoyed it. If the instructor dares to take a walk past me.....wssshttt ! He's on the dance floor before he can say "I'm off for a P"...:rofl: :rofl:

Lory
10th-November-2003, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Bardsey
I must be a right forward little hussy..... but I never feel nervous about asking any fella to dance....even when its apparent they are a Hotshot....I asked Bill to dance when he was in Leeds and I really enjoyed it. If the instructor dares to take a walk past me.....wssshttt ! He's on the dance floor before he can say "I'm off for a P"...:rofl: :rofl:
NICE ONE! :cheers: I LIKE YOUR STYLE:waycool: YOU GO GIRL!!!:wink: :yum: :hug:

Geordieed
11th-November-2003, 02:51 PM
:cheers: It is great to meet your fears head on but still time after time I can't break out of feeling totally awestruck by Carol who taught with Victor recently at RebelYel.

Her ballroom background and presence makes me feel like a total beginner. Lily is the same but I have danced with her alot more often. Plus thank you Lily for being patient with me.

Part of the motivation is to lead better and better. Just don't give up.

Sheepman
11th-November-2003, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Graham
There's only one dancer in my venue who still intimidates me (Have you guessed who it is yet? *chuckle*) Intimidating in the nicest possible way though. :wink: I'm looking forward to some of that intimidation at the w/e.

The best dancers are only intimidating because of their reputation, but in my experience they're just great fun to dance with, even if I'm on lousy form. After years of dancing I can't say I'm intimidated by Hotshots either, but I can rarely be bothered by the effort that it takes to get a dance with them. There are times that I do get intimidated, but I need time to recall them and try and put what it is into words.

Greg

Bill
12th-November-2003, 11:44 AM
As one of the few 'original' members at Aberdeen I find I'm not intimidated by any of the dancers here but still get very nervous when visiting other venues and usually take a while to pluck up the courage to ask someone to dance.

Danced with Lily for the first time earlier this year and was so nervous, even after dancing for 6 years, I almost made a complete mess of it. Thankfully I've had the chance to try and redeem myself.

Still never managed to dance with Nina or Janine but have had the pleasure of a dance with Lydia. I htink a little bit of nerves is fine but intimidation is likely to mean you won't relaly enjoy the dance.

And it's great when someone like Bardsey grabs you for a dance ....... even though I wasn't about to head off for a p. :na: :D

Bardsey
12th-November-2003, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Bill

And it's great when someone like Bardsey grabs you for a dance ....... even though I wasn't about to head off for a p. :na: :D

Give that man 100 brownie points !!! Thanks Bill you've just raised my confidence several notches.

:kiss: :hug:

Forte
12th-November-2003, 02:03 PM

I didn't know you drank pints on a dance night...:wink:

Bill
12th-November-2003, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Forte
I didn't know you drank pints on a dance night...:wink:

usually soda and lime........................ but it has the same effect :sick: :na:

Fran
12th-November-2003, 09:18 PM
I always am intimided when I go dancing. :blush:
I wish I was'nt but have realised that 3 years of dancing ( i think its that - I started in Oct 99) its part and parcel of me. I love dancing but can still get quite nervous about asking new people. I am aware of the mistakes I make and no its not always the mans fault.

I was dreadful when I first started dancing because I could not look the guy in the eye as Scott can confirm!!!and I still often conecntrate on the hands.

I love dancing with David B and he had the pateince of a saint last time in Perth!! Bill is the one fabby dancer who actually never did actually intimidate me, on or off the dance floor... maybe theres somthing in that:wink:

fran :nice:

Chris
13th-November-2003, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by Fran
when I first started dancing because I could not look the guy in the eye

But you would make up for it by flashing the most amazing smile from time to time!
:cheers: :cheers:

Geordieed
13th-November-2003, 10:26 AM
But you would make up for it by flashing the most amazing smile from time to time!:cheers: :cheers:

Down Tiger

Chris
13th-November-2003, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Geordieed
:cheers: :cheers: Down Tiger

Nah :blush: it's me that feels too intimidated to get up and ask many of the lovely local folk I know from where we all learnt to dance at roughly the same time actually! - I can either feel I'm putting pressure on them or putting pressure on me wondering whether to ask! so much less scary asking strangers down south! one day . . . :wink: :wink:

Bardsey
13th-November-2003, 12:38 PM
so much less scary asking strangers

I wonder if that's the case here too. I find that a lot of the guys I see around and who are always complimentary in the class, rarely seek me out for a dance, its usually me who asks them. Perhaps they are just more shy than me!:wink:

Bill
14th-November-2003, 12:27 PM
I have to say that I find it much more scary to ask 'strangers' to dance.

I don't think I worry or intimidate anyone up here so the dances are always fun but with a woman you don't know there's always an uncertianty of how you'll gel, whether you lead properly etc.. and of course the dread of being turned down :sick:

Gadget
14th-November-2003, 02:29 PM
...and of course the dread of being turned down :sick:
yea... right :rolleyes:
Could all ladies who would turn down BTC Bill please raise their hands.... Now how many forumites can you see with hands raised? :wink:

Bill
14th-November-2003, 03:00 PM
yea... right :rolleyes:
Could all ladies who would turn down BTC Bill please raise their hands.... Now how many forumites can you see with hands raised? :wink: but remember not every woman is polite and keen to dance with unknown men so it's still an issue I have when arriving at new venues. :what: :sick:

Mary
14th-November-2003, 04:12 PM
Omigod Bill - HOW could anyone turn you down!!! And if you remember I was a 'stranger' who, in fact, asked you first even when you said you were about to ask me - hmmmm, so now I don't believe you were going to ask. Shame on you.:devil:

M

Bill
14th-November-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Mary
Omigod Bill - HOW could anyone turn you down!!! And if you remember I was a 'stranger' who, in fact, asked you first even when you said you were about to ask me - hmmmm, so now I don't believe you were going to ask. Shame on you.:devil: Honestly I was about to ask.............which is why I was walking towards you. And it was a bit different on the holiday as we were just like one big happy family :na: :hug:

I didn't say I wouldn't ask women, just that I get nervous about asking at new venues. And you have such a big smile that it's clear you wouldn't say no anyway:D

Can't wait till the next one :wink:

Mary
14th-November-2003, 05:20 PM
Honestly I was about to ask.............which is why I was walking towards you. And it was a bit different on the holiday as we were just like one big happy family :na: :hug:

I didn't say I wouldn't ask women, just that I get nervous about asking at new venues. And you have such a big smile that it's clear you wouldn't say no anyway:D

Can't wait till the next one :wink: Oh, you're such a smoothie! :waycool: But I guess that must be an Aberdonian thing.

Ditto you with the smile BTW. :D :D

Apologies to other forumites for the yeuchy nature of these posts - sick bags may be provided if needed.:wink:

M

ChrisA
14th-November-2003, 07:39 PM
Apologies to other forumites for the yeuchy nature of these posts - sick bags may be provided if needed.:wink:
Grrrffffff....

Compliments are so ****ing rare in life we should be glad we are into something where people aren't so bloody up themselves that they can't say a nice word and mean it when it's deserved.

There's a massive feel-good factor associated with dancing - why do you think so many of us find it so addictive??? - and if part of that is nice people having the thoughtfulness to express what they feel in a respectful environment, then I for one am not ashamed of it.

And if that sounds ****ing sanctimonious then you're obviously confusing me with someone that gives a damn.

:devil: :devil: :kiss: :kiss:

Phew. What was it Debs was saying about the forum being cheaper than therapy? :D :D

Chris :hug: :hug:

Mary
14th-November-2003, 07:56 PM
Grrrffffff....

Compliments are so ****ing rare in life we should be glad we are into something where people aren't so bloody up themselves that they can't say a nice word and mean it when it's deserved.

There's a massive feel-good factor associated with dancing - why do you think so many of us find it so addictive??? - and if part of that is nice people having the thoughtfulness to express what they feel in a respectful environment, then I for one am not ashamed of it.

And if that sounds ****ing sanctimonious then you're obviously confusing me with someone that gives a damn.

Phew. What was it Debs was saying about the forum being cheaper than therapy?

Chris OK. I feel well and truly slapped now. Pah, that sanctimonious ChrisA always giving me what for.:sorry

I've never been a very gushy person so i'm always worried about sounding insincere.:rolleyes:

Debs is right - this is cheaper than therapy. Welcome back BTW Debs.:cheers:

M

Chris
15th-November-2003, 01:07 AM
I must admit, I'm a bit loathe to ask guys :devil: - even though it's a great laugh, my following skills are very lacking! So I tend to have to lead! (think I'll start a new thread on asking people to dance . . . hmmmm)

There's also a difference if you dance regularly in a venue. You have a better chance of getting round everyone and possibly even take people for granted a bit (and vice versa maybe). When you walk in as a stranger or just dance in your local venues very occasionally, then it makes it more special in a way perhaps. It does for me anyway.
:grin:

ChrisA
15th-November-2003, 01:19 AM
OK. I feel well and truly slapped now. Pah, that sanctimonious ChrisA always giving me what for.:sorry
Slap me back, babe, you know I'll love it :D :D

I've never been a very gushy person so i'm always worried about sounding insincere.:rolleyes: That's fine too. You're fine as you are :kiss:

Chris
xx

Bardsey
17th-November-2003, 11:34 AM
There's a massive feel-good factor associated with dancing - why do you think so many of us find it so addictive???

I found out this weekend just how addicted I've become to our form of dancing. I went on a girle weekend (24 of us) to Blackpool and each night we disco'd til 2am. I really enjoyed and, as usual, really let my hair down, but I found myself watching some of the men (no, not as a voyeur....honest) to see if any of them showed signs of being a cerocer. Not a one! Can't wait for my class tonight! :D

Daisy Chain
17th-November-2003, 05:49 PM
II found myself watching some of the men (no, not as a voyeur....honest) to see if any of them showed signs of being a cerocer. Not a one! Can't wait for my class tonight! :D

Hi Bardsey

I often do the same thing in a non-jive arena and have thought that it would really help if there was a discreet badge or item of attire that Cerocers could use to make contact in alien environments. You know the sort of thing - tattoo on forehead, photo of Viktor dangling from navel piercing...

Daisy

Bardsey
17th-November-2003, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Daisy Chain
a discreet badge or item of attire that Cerocers could use to make contact in alien environments. You know the sort of thing - tattoo on forehead, photo of Viktor dangling from navel piercing...

Daisy

:rofl: Actually that would be a great idea. A badge that just cerocers would recognise. Any ideas, Franck???:D

ChrisA
17th-November-2003, 06:08 PM
I found out this weekend just how addicted I've become to our form of dancing. I went on a girle weekend (24 of us) to Blackpool and each night we disco'd til 2am.
It must have felt strange stopping dancing and going to bed so early :D :D :D

Chris

Bardsey
17th-November-2003, 06:11 PM
It must have felt strange stopping dancing and going to bed so early :D :D :D

Chris

Got it in one ! :rofl: Mind you, disco dancing just doesn't have the same appeal as ceroc these days!

Gadget
17th-November-2003, 06:21 PM
I know exactly what you mean; 'normal' disco dancing feels sort of "two dimensional" now. I used to boogey 'till 2am two/three times a week when I was a student and loved it. {explains my grades :rolleyes:}
But now... flat. Having been given the extra dimention of dancing with someone instead of at them, it's impossable to go back. (Not that I want to :D)

bigdjiver
17th-November-2003, 08:17 PM
:rofl: Actually that would be a great idea. A badge that just cerocers would recognise. Any ideas, Franck???:D

In the absence of an official badge any non-trademark 5 pointed star would surely be good enough. A few of our lasses wear such shop bought items. Otherwise any jivers logo. It should be easy enough to use iron on T shirt printer paper to run up 6 or more per sheet.

Official badges would be good. They could be coded to show beginner / intermediate / lifts & drops / UCP (blues) / ???

ChrisA
18th-November-2003, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by bigdjiver
They could be coded to show beginner / intermediate / lifts & drops / UCP (blues) / ??? You could have a second colour-coded badge to indicate likelihood of accepting an offer of a dance, ranging from green ( = likely to accept and be open to the possibility of an interesting dance) to red ( = don't bother asking, or if you do I'll look very bored).

Great idea. This would remove any annoying requirement to actually interact with your partner at all... :wink: :waycool:

Chris

bigdjiver
18th-November-2003, 02:00 AM
You could have a second colour-coded badge to indicate likelihood of accepting an offer of a dance, ranging from green ( = likely to accept and be open to the possibility of an interesting dance) to red ( = don't bother asking, or if you do I'll look very bored).

Great idea. This would remove any annoying requirement to actually interact with your partner at all... :wink: :waycool:

Chris

I have had yes answers where the lady has not understood the question.

On Saturday a lady said she was having trouble turning, as she was wearing trainers that seemed probable, but I got her around, only to discover that I had missed the bit where she had said she had a broken toe. (Hence the trainers).

We use beginner stickers at my venue, and sometimes that is helpful too. Some look very adept, but have never done a nelson, or will suddenly try and turn the wrong way. . Anything that makes communication easier and the dance safer is to be welcomed in my book.

Having said that, I am not very fond of merit badges, and this hints at that. I would settle for wearing five pointed stars or jiver emblems "in the wild".

Chris
18th-November-2003, 02:05 AM
At least one dance venue I know has little red heart badges for beginners to wear so the taxi dancers will see them.

Bill
18th-November-2003, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Daisy Chain
You know the sort of thing - tattoo on forehead, photo of Viktor dangling from navel piercing... But I odn't have a navel piercing :rolleyes: .............. wonder where I could hang his photo then??? :na: :innocent:

Bardsey
18th-November-2003, 03:39 PM
But I odn't have a navel piercing :rolleyes: .............. wonder where I could hang his photo then??? :na: :innocent:

The mind boggles :confused: :rofl:

Boomer
18th-November-2003, 05:27 PM

Yep :what: Sometimes one gets an image in one's head that simply should not be there :really: Just lost my appetite :sick: No offense Bill...but, well, I mean!

:grin:

Fran
18th-November-2003, 05:53 PM

...well I guess it could have been his ear - thats pierced. :wink:

fran:nice:

ChrisA
18th-November-2003, 06:38 PM
At least one dance venue I know has little red heart badges for beginners to wear so the taxi dancers will see them.
If the taxi dancers cannot see the beginners within about three seconds of watching them dance, from a distance a lot further away than you can see a little red heart badge, they should not be taxi dancers.

Chris

Chris
18th-November-2003, 06:47 PM
If the taxi dancers cannot see the beginners within about three seconds of watching them dance, from a distance a lot further away than you can see a little red heart badge, they should not be taxi dancers.

Chris

Was that in jest? Otherwise why knock a good idea that works in at least one venue? :tears: I'm not suggesting Ceroc take it up, just that it was a lovely idea and made the beginners feel more reassured. It's a busy venue with a lot of dancers. Many of the beginners are sitting down at the end of the two classes (simultaneous in adjacent halls) but so are quite a few experienced dancers who are just waiting for it to warm up. Again, I wasn't suggesting it should be used elsewhere, just that it was a lovely gesture on the part of the organisers where I saw it and was much appreciated - and the taxi dancers are top notch!

ChrisA
18th-November-2003, 07:40 PM
Was that in jest? Otherwise why knock a good idea that works in at least one venue?

[snip]

Again, I wasn't suggesting it should be used elsewhere, just that it was a lovely gesture on the part of the organsiers where I saw it and was much appreciated - and the taxi dancers are top notch! Well, strictly I wasn't knocking the idea, I was expressing an opinion about taxi dancers :)

I have no objection to making the beginners feel more reassured, and I can see that if (very new) beginners are given something that makes them feel looked after, then it's a good idea.

But what constitutes a beginner? Someone who's been coming for less than 6 weeks? What if they're still really struggling after 10 weeks, should they still wear the badge, or would they feel stigmatised and/or pressurised? What if someone is brilliant? Should they still wear it after three? Who decides?

Is beginner/intermediate like a graduation, or is progression a gradual thing? Should a taxi dancer (or anyone else for that matter) dance any differently with them if they're wearing or not wearing the badge?

I just think that taxi dancers should be able to spot the beginners without needing to see a badge, and dance sensitively enough with people of any level from brand new beginner to early intermediate, to provide encouragement, challenge, fun, and practice at whatever level the individual requires it, and sense those various levels very quickly after seeing them dance or (even easier) dancing a move or two with them.

Chris

Chris
18th-November-2003, 08:09 PM
I have no objection to making the beginners feel more reassured, and I can see that if (very new) beginners are given something that makes them feel looked after, then it's a good idea.

Yeah cool :)
Oh, I forgot to mention it was a salsa venue - the badges are entirely optional and offered at the door in a nice way.

ChrisA
18th-November-2003, 08:20 PM
Yeah cool :)
Oh, I forgot to mention it was a salsa venue - the badges are entirely optional and offered at the door in a nice way.
Blimey, a salsa venue.

I'll be first in line for the badge :blush: :blush:

Neil
18th-November-2003, 08:24 PM
Oh, I forgot to mention it was a salsa venue - the badges are entirely optional and offered at the door in a nice way. As bigdjiver mentioned above, beginner stickers are used throughout the Ceroc Central franchise (which covers a vast expanse of territory from Bedford to Nottingham). I think they're more for the benefit of the beginners themselves, rather than the taxi dancers.

The Ceroc Central website - http://www.ceroccentral.com/ - has this to say about them:

"first mover stickers. these are easily removable, coloured labels which you may wish to stick on your clothing for the first few weeks. they are completely optional but most newcomers do choose to wear them. it is part of the ceroc ethos for the experienced dancers to take time out to dance with beginners and, therefore, if you are sporting a sticker it makes you more clearly identifiable."

They're also useful for hotshots like me, as I know who to avoid :devil:
(note to Ceroc etiquette police: I'm kidding, I'm kidding!).

Neil

Bardsey
19th-November-2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Neil

They're also useful for hotshots like me, as I know who to avoid :devil:
(note to Ceroc etiquette police: I'm kidding, I'm kidding!).

Neil

Oh boy, watch out, you'll get it now!!!!:rofl: :rofl:

psyc0diver
19th-November-2003, 12:34 PM
Generally, if I dont know the lady, I do a couple of really simple moves first (step across/armjive etc). An experienced man sould be able to distinguish immediatly how experienced the lady is & should dance accordingly.

Gadget
19th-November-2003, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by psyc0diver
Generally, if I dont know the lady, I do a couple of really simple moves first (step across/armjive etc). An experienced man sould be able to distinguish immediatly how experienced the lady is & should dance accordingly.
I don't know if my powers of observation are degrading, or the level of beginner is improving; but recently I've taken a few ladys I don't know onto the dance floor and been half way through the dance before I realise that they have never done (or even seen) some of the most basic moves before I led them through!!:what:

{The comment of "so what am I meant to ...?" is a slight give-away...}

Bill
19th-November-2003, 05:48 PM
I don't know if my powers of observation are degrading, or the level of beginner is improving{The comment of "so what am I meant to ...?" is a slight give-away...}

I think the general standard is pretty high amongst the women in Aberdeen and the only problem is that there are so many women at the classes it can be weeks before you can dance with someone.

Karen, who was at Las Palmas , had been dancing for 3 months and the first time I danced with her was on the holiday :sick:

When the class was running with about 40-50 there was time to dance with most women every week but now that's impossible !

With so many good dancers around and so many opportunities to go to workshops I think new dancers have an environment which can help them progress very quickly.

Andy McGregor
19th-November-2003, 06:24 PM

Maybe we could have a special way of standing or putting our hand in our pocket or carrying our handbag...

Andy McGregor
19th-November-2003, 06:30 PM
You could have a second colour-coded badge to indicate likelihood of accepting an offer of a dance, ranging from green ( = likely to accept and be open to the possibility of an interesting dance) to red ( = don't bother asking, or if you do I'll look very bored).

Chris

There is something similar that is bandied about in the gay community. The call it the 'Hanky Code' it's all to do with which combination of right/left/front/back pockets you hang your differently coloured hankies out of. My company printed a poster explaining it all but I couldn't begin to list the things they all meant.

But I am now very careful to tuck my hankie deep into my pockets when I go into Brighton at night:what:

Chris
19th-November-2003, 11:58 PM
There is something similar that is bandied about in the gay community. The call it the 'Hanky Code' it's all to do with which combination of right/left/front/back pockets you hang your differently coloured hankies out of. My company printed a poster explaining it all but I couldn't begin to list the things they all meant.

But I am now very careful to tuck my hankie deep into my pockets when I go into Brighton at night:what:

But isn't the hanky also kept alive by many rock & rollers? Simon Selmon is often seen sporting a hanky from his back pocket and as far as I know it's only a dance dress code uniform :confused:

Gadget
20th-November-2003, 09:34 AM
I think a little un-obtrusive pin badge that could be pinned through the neck hem of a T-shirt (or dress strap) would be quite cool. (Need to have a non-jaggie back though)
I don't think colour codes or ability levels should be shown though: just an identifier when out on a night (or on holiday) that you can jive and are approachable to dance.
{Although I suppose they could be worn as 'pips' AKA Captain Picard :sorry:}

An area of marketing that Ceroc has yet to exploit.

Bardsey
20th-November-2003, 01:47 PM
Maybe we could have a special way of standing or putting our hand in our pocket or carrying our handbag...

Or a secret handshake, or whatever it is they Freemasons do!!:rofl:

Andy McGregor
20th-November-2003, 02:26 PM
Or a secret handshake, or whatever it is they Freemasons do!!:rofl:

Of course, you'd have to go round the nightclub shaking hands with everyone - which might be fun:wink:

I think identifying another dancer in a crowd is much more important than finding another Mason. With the dancer it serves a practical purpose as you can get down and dance/show off together. When you have the Masonic handshake returned you say something lame like 'oh are you a Mason, what lodge are you in?' and then after you've exchanged that information you can't actually think of anything else relevant to say to each other:blush:

In my personal experience you just need one couple to start off jiving then other modern jivers make theselves known to you - even if you've only grabbed a random partner that can't actually jive and tried to do it with them out of desperation. On a few occasions I've even had people recognise me in a club/beer tent/party/wedding reception/etc and come and ask for a dance - which always impresses the guys I'm with:waycool:

Dreadful Scathe
20th-November-2003, 02:35 PM
In my personal experience you just need one couple to start off jiving then other modern jivers make theselves known to you -

Only works with certain hobbies, sado-masochists identifying themselves in the same way are more likely to just get arrested :).

Bardsey
20th-November-2003, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
Only works with certain hobbies, sado-masochists identifying themselves in the same way are more likely to just get arrested :).

Best not to hang around the Gent's loo's either.... might find someone making a move you really DON'T iidentify with :rofl:

[/B][/QUOTE] even if you've only grabbed a random partner that can't actually jive and tried to do it with them out of desperation.[/B][/QUOTE]

that's easier for a man to do, but if a woman tries to jive with a man who doesn't, she just ends up looking like an idiot :rofl:

Boomer
20th-November-2003, 02:48 PM

even if you've only grabbed a random partner that can't actually jive and tried to do it with them out of desperation.

So close!!!! I'm impressed. just replace the first [/b] with a [b] :wink: :hug:

PS Bardsey, I give in. You have me stumped, I cannot quote you properly, while highlighting where you went wrong without making myself look like a dolt :rofl:

Dreadful Scathe
20th-November-2003, 02:57 PM
yeah yeah Bardsey and Boomer
[/help]
So close!!!! I'm impressed. just replace the first [/b] with a [mmuuumb] [/?B][/?QUOTE] [/confused]
[/gorilla nonsense]

tsk Amatuers ...buncha Amateurs :D

Bardsey
20th-November-2003, 02:57 PM
So close!!!! I'm impressed. just replace the first with a :wink: :hug:

Ah! That's where I'm going wrong....couldn't work it out! Thanks Boomster :blush:

Boomer
20th-November-2003, 03:12 PM

NNNNNNOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :rofl:

Andy McGregor
20th-November-2003, 03:52 PM
NNNNNNOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :rofl:

I've noticed that the Boomster has pulled ahead of me in the number of postings. So I'm posting this in an attempt to slipstream him.

I think I win on number of words...

..although not the letter O or exclamation marks if the above is an indication.

Look out Trampy, you make pit-stop (like exams) and we'll be past you:devil:

DavidB
20th-November-2003, 04:25 PM
I think I win on number of words...Is that words written, or words read?

Bardsey
20th-November-2003, 04:28 PM

I know, but we're such fun !!!:waycool:

Andy McGregor
20th-November-2003, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by DavidB
Is that words written, or words read? Lily and I are nearly interchangeable now, you may never know which one of us you're sleeping next to - until it's too late!

Do you want that B to stand for Bobbitt?:devil:

ChrisA
20th-November-2003, 04:40 PM
Lily and I are nearly interchangeable now, you may never know which one of us you're sleeping next to - until it's too late!

How is Sue coping with this metamorphosis?

:what: :what:

Pammy
20th-November-2003, 05:02 PM

Or should that be HOW has Sue coped up til now? :wink:

Andy McGregor
20th-November-2003, 05:05 PM

:what: :what:

It's more of an Incredible Hulk scenario. Except that I turn into this gorgeous long haired woman that can dance brilliantly:devil:

p.s. ChrisA, I've noticed your number of postings creeping closer to mine - I may have to take on extra staff to do my posting for me. So the transition is seamless and in character, I'll get a computer installed in the local psychiatric hospital:wink:

ChrisA
20th-November-2003, 05:07 PM
Or should that be HOW has Sue coped up til now? :wink:
Well until he started on Lily, he'd been impersonating me... apart from tucking his shirts in, that is.

Hobson's choice for Sue, though, I know :what: :what:

Pammy
20th-November-2003, 05:10 PM
Hobson's choice for Sue, though, I know :what: :what:

Shut up, you're lovely and don't let anyone tell you otherwise :hug:

Px

ChrisA
20th-November-2003, 05:10 PM
p.s. ChrisA, I've noticed your number of postings creeping closer to mine
Oops (tm)

ChrisA
20th-November-2003, 05:18 PM
Shut up,
:hug: :hug:

Andy McGregor
20th-November-2003, 05:18 PM
Shut up, you're lovely and don't let anyone tell you otherwise :hug:

Px

I'll tell you:devil:

Pammy
20th-November-2003, 05:23 PM
I'll tell you:devil:

and you can shut up as well :wink:

[hip wiggle on]or else [hip wiggle off]

DavidY
21st-November-2003, 11:41 PM
Or a secret handshake I dunno what it would be like, but I'm sure you wouldn't use thumbs...

Dan
6th-December-2003, 03:15 PM

I have just picked up this thread.
The badge is very useful for taxi dancers and for other dancers who want to make the newcomers feel welcome at the venue.

It is also of value to the newcomers as most of them spend a considerable amount of time explaining to their dance partners that they are new and therefore have a limited knowledge of the moves.

It might also be useful to venue managers and responsible dancers to identify the individuals who give the newcomers a hard time - showing off with badly led complicated moves, ill perforned drops or hassling them for phone numbers and dates.

We were all at that stage once and fortunately go through. Lets make sure that others are not put off for the wrong reasons.

Andre