PDA

View Full Version : The child is the father of the man (or woman)!

Forte
6th-November-2003, 02:59 PM
I have a parents evening tonight as a teacher...and it got me to thinking what I will say about the little blighters . Then I recalled what teachers said about me and at whether or not it has come true...

"Jacqueline is a prolific writer..." (age 11) That'll explain all my posts then!!:rofl:

"Jacqueline's work is erratic...either very, very good or very, very bad.." age 14 (Hadn't they heard of hormones?) No change there , then! :wink:

"Jacqueline has good ability but she is not university material." age 14 :eek: What a shocking thing to say and to write me off like that. (Glasgow University disagreed!!! :grin: )

What did teachers say about you forum -ites and has it come troo? Oh and a special hug to one dear old biology teacher who called me vivacious and I had to go look it up cos the mini me thought he was insulting me...:hug:

Gadget
6th-November-2003, 04:25 PM
The best comment I got was on a re-visit to the school after getting higher results: my physics teacher was so shocked that I actually passed, her comment was "...What did you do? Wave a magic wand?" :D

Graham
6th-November-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Forte
"Jacqueline has good ability but she is not university material." age 14 :eek: What a shocking thing to say and to write me off like that. (Glasgow University disagreed!!! :grin: ) :really: I agree - shocking! I can only assume this wasn't from your English teacher - obviously it should have read "Jacqueline has ability but is not university material" :grin: Incidentally, you didn't say which half of this statement the University disagreed with. :wink: :waycool:

Forte
6th-November-2003, 04:44 PM
Teachers can be cutting! A male friend of mine was told to take his "handbag" off the floor....he is gay now incidentally! But at twelve the comment was uncalled for!

Forte
6th-November-2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Graham
:really: I agree - shocking! I can only assume this wasn't from your English teacher - obviously it should have read "Jacqueline has ability but is not university material" :grin: Incidentally, you didn't say which half of this statement the University disagreed with. :wink: :waycool:

You pedant, you!:wink:

Dreadful Scathe
6th-November-2003, 05:03 PM
I was told in no uncertain terms i shouldnt sit Higher Art as I only got 35% for the pre-limb but i was bored then and passed the real exam easily* and I was most pleased when the assitant Rector who said the 'dont sit it' remark had taken the trouble to check this and congratulated me.

I was also told by my English teacher that I was Holden Caulfield which i took as a compliment as I thought so too, 'Catcher in the Rye' is still one of favourite books, but im in the minority :) - must have similar traits to Holden. (anyone think thats a good thing ? :) )

* and that was with a completely ridiculous theory section where I answered one 35 mark question 'Discuss Constable and his work' with ' He did landscapes didnt he?' So my actuall practical work can't have been too bad :).

stewart38
6th-November-2003, 05:45 PM
I had a report once that I was rude and sulky (I was 10 yrs old). Nothing changed there (well I don't smile much, I think its genetic)

I was told I wouldn't pass O level French in a million yrs (I stopped at CSE)

I was told never to take up teaching as the teacher said it was a dead end job ! (I have not)

I was told I wasn't cable of dealing with a O level course (not sure what they would say re my BA Hons etc)

:what:

Dance Demon
6th-November-2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
[B I only got 35% for the pre-limb [/B]

was that pre arm, or pre leg.....:)

Lounge Lizard
7th-November-2003, 10:05 AM
My headmaster asked three of us to leave before O levels as we were a disruptive influence (mistaken identity methinks :wink: )
So we did - but as he used to get great pleasure out of hitting us with a cane I think it was a good move.

can you imagine that nowadays (perhaps this is a the and now comment)

bigdjiver
7th-November-2003, 10:35 AM
I was always poor on work, but had a good short term memory and could swot for exams.

one report said

"seems to have mastered the art of hypnopaedia "(learning whilst asleep)

In my second year at Grammar school my French master predicted that the boy who is reading a book a day now will come top in the fourth year. I was reading a book under the desk at the time, and had come one off bottom the previous term.

He was right. I did not pass French though.

Rachel
7th-November-2003, 10:45 AM
Something I found out just a couple of months ago -

My school teachers had been telling my parents I was too shy and quiet to get anywhere in life.

I'm kinda glad my parents didn't tell me this at the time!
Rachel

Fran
7th-November-2003, 11:59 PM
I went to a school where girls could not take techie subjects, but I knew I wanted to be a designer. I was the 1st girl to sit technical drawing ( the older and more stringent version of graphic communications) My teacher was the head of department and told me;

" he did not know why I was taking this subject. its is wasted on me because I will leave school get married and have babies an dnot use the skills"

there is an irony that I was a designer for 10 years then became a techie teacher - o he of little faith - sad git as well but I'll leave it there. :what:

fran

Jon L
8th-November-2003, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Lounge Lizard
My headmaster asked three of us to leave before O levels as we were a disruptive influence (mistaken identity methinks :wink: )
So we did - but as he used to get great pleasure out of hitting us with a cane I think it was a good move.

can you imagine that nowadays (perhaps this is a the and now comment)

Even when I was at secondary school in 1982, I can remember boys being called out in class and being whacked with a slipper because they had gone too far (PE teachers were the worst) , I think some corporal punishment may be necessary as a last resort in controlled circumstances particularly when you read of some horror stories with teachers being punched/ threatened etc.:what: I

Incidentally I know lots of teachers some of whom are dancers they can all do this look :( and also this one :mad: There is a sort of raised frown when they don't believe what you're telling them.

Forte
13th-November-2003, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by Jon L
Even when I was at secondary school in 1982, I can remember boys being called out in class and being whacked with a slipper because they had gone too far (PE teachers were the worst) , I think some corporal punishment may be necessary as a last resort in controlled circumstances particularly when you read of some horror stories with teachers being punched/ threatened etc.:what: I

Incidentally I know lots of teachers some of whom are dancers they can all do this look :( and also this one :mad: There is a sort of raised frown when they don't believe what you're telling them.

Agreed! I never shout because I just sound ridiculous when I do. My voice either goes higher and higher till I sound like I am on Helium or it breaks off in mid word...I talk slower and quieter and use my death stare. I am very scary.:D It's good coz it means the homework generally gets handed in on time...:wink:

Daisy
14th-November-2003, 01:28 AM
My secondary headteacher told my mother not to bother sending me to the grammar school at the age of 15 cos I wouldn't amount to anything. She said that just because my sister was clever didn't mean to say I would be too............I went on to achieve a BA(Hons degree) + PGCE and became a teacher for my sins.

She stopped my mother on the street shortly after I graduated and said, 'I always knew she would do it'. Two faced old bag!!

:rolleyes:

Bill
14th-November-2003, 11:36 AM
My reports were generally pretty good as I was well behaved ( or rather boring I suppose) although one young ( female) art teacher did comment on a certain 'wicked twinkle' ( or words to that effect).

I really enjoyed school and was never very bright but I did study to make up for the shortfall :rolleyes:

When I left my head teacher told me to go to College rather than Uni as I probably wouldn't cope. Thankfully I completed the MA course and took great delight when I was photographed with my twin sister and my nephew who was about 3 at the time for the local paper.

Although I didn't particularly want to go into teaching I've been at the College for over 17 years now :what:

Forte
14th-November-2003, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Bill
[B]My reports were generally pretty good as I was well behaved ( or rather boring I suppose) although one young ( female) art teacher did comment on a certain 'wicked twinkle' ( or words to that effect).

B]

I rest my case! The child IS the father of the man...:D

Boomer
14th-November-2003, 02:27 PM
About the only thing I can vaguely remember is a teacher's comments to mum an’ dad at an open-day thingy along the lines of:
‘Such a charming young lad...until his face flushes, his eyes light-up and he opens his mouth...then you’ve got a problem’.

ChrisA
14th-November-2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Boomer
his eyes light-up
Aha, so you *are* "The Hood" from Thunderbirds :really: :devil:

Boomer
14th-November-2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by ChrisA
Aha, so you *are* "The Hood" from Thunderbirds :really: :devil:

You calling me a chrome-dome egg-head with monster eye-brows and an evil frown!?! :D

ChrisA
14th-November-2003, 02:40 PM
You calling me a chrome-dome egg-head with monster eye-brows and an evil frown!?! :D
Aha, so you watch Thunderbirds :devil: :rofl: :rofl:

Boomer
14th-November-2003, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by ChrisA
Aha, so you watch Thunderbirds :devil: :rofl: :rofl:

No, had to do a lightning fast search on the net :blush: Bit before my time I'm afraid :devil:

Graham
17th-November-2003, 07:04 PM
No, had to do a lightning fast search on the net :blush: Bit before my time I'm afraid :devil: What are you talking about? It's still being shown now!