PDA

View Full Version : Is she better than Beowulf?

JiveLad
21st-August-2008, 09:41 AM
That is the question being debated at the end of this article

Video: Lifelike animation heralds new era for computer games - Times Online (http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/article4557935.ece)

about an amazingly lifelike animation technique (they show a vid of the woman).

I haven't see Beowulf - so I can't compare but it does seem one more step on the way to Westworld.

:popcorn:

straycat
21st-August-2008, 09:44 AM
Definitely.

CheesyRobMan
21st-August-2008, 09:48 AM
I thought you meant Beowulf from the forum... :doh:

Twirly
21st-August-2008, 10:15 AM
I thought you meant Beowulf from the forum... :doh:

So did I! And I wondered if I was the She in question :rofl:

Beowulf
21st-August-2008, 10:27 AM
As I'm only an 8-Bit simulation* it's probably taken for granted she's better than me.

*The Matrix ran out of storage space and processing capacity.

straycat
21st-August-2008, 10:45 AM
So did I! And I wondered if I was the She in question :rofl:

In which case.... are you? :devil:

:WetHaddock: (no - there was no particular reason for that smilie - I just wanted to use it)

Beowulf
21st-August-2008, 10:46 AM
In which case.... are you? :devil:

Oooh MUCH BETTER :worthy:

ducasi
21st-August-2008, 11:01 AM

Video: Lifelike animation heralds new era for computer games - Times Online (http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/article4557935.ece)

I haven't see Beowulf - so I can't compare but it does seem one more step on the way to Westworld.

:popcorn:
I haven't seen Beowulf either – doesn't it use real actors? – but the video does look good.

It's mostly across the uncanny valley, but not quite. Is this the end of the road for movie actors?

Tessalicious
21st-August-2008, 12:19 PM
Not that they care what I think, but for me the only unrealistic thing about it was the lips - they didn't change shape enough when she spoke.

Still, it's kinda creepy what they can do now with this kind of technology. Just think, if they get it right, they could use this to provide video evidence to 'prove' someone had been somewhere, done something, committed a crime, and we wouldn't be any the wiser. Possibly not technology that should be made accessible to any overly controlling government...

~*~Saligal~*~
22nd-August-2008, 02:45 AM

:popcorn: So essentially it's only the face that's been animated? If so the animation is better than the movie "Beowulf" (yes, I saw... in 3D with the groovy glasses). Difference being, though, that the entire of the person in Beowulf was animated.
I agree that it's about making the eyes believeable.