PDA

View Full Version : Update to Forum Software.

Franck
20th-August-2008, 05:34 AM
Hi guys, just to let you know that I have updated the Forum software overnight, and as a result, you're likely to find a few issues over the next few days. In particular, I seem to have irretrievably deleted many pictures, including avatars, smillies, and navigation icons :( so some of you might have to re-upload your avatar.

Feel free to report any issues you notice in this thread and I'll try to fix most of them as soon as possible.

Sorry I couldn't fix everything, but had to go to sleep at some point. :nice:

Testing edit?

ducasi
20th-August-2008, 07:44 AM
Cheers Franck!

"Edit Options" and "Edit Avatar" links don't work – something to do with the Secret Admirer plug-in.

Keefy
20th-August-2008, 09:00 AM
Cheers Franck!

"Edit Options" and "Edit Avatar" links don't work – something to do with the Secret Admirer plug-in.

Warning: require_once(./includes/secretadmirer.php) [function.require-once (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/function.require-once)]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in [path]/profile.php(173) : eval()'d code on line 1

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/function.require)]: Failed opening required './includes/secretadmirer.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/fpauly/public_html/forum/profile.php(173) : eval()'d code on line 1
There's a couple of CSS template glitches as well floating about, a lot of the buttons are rendering blue on the default Orange template set

Lory
20th-August-2008, 09:10 AM
Some things are missing from the 'quick links' (orange template) like 'my profile' and the Edit profile pic isn't working either:flower:

Northants Girly
20th-August-2008, 09:47 AM
Don't think much to the new profile page - bit complicated innit?

As for adding "friends" as it looks like you can - got enough of all that malarky with Facebook!

Just realized that when you visit someone's profile page they will be able to see you were there . . . .

Northants Girly
20th-August-2008, 09:52 AM
oh . . . . . . and if you try and edit a post the forum goes all funny and kinda crashes (did someone already say that?)

JiveLad
20th-August-2008, 10:04 AM
So - the new profile enables you to see who has looked at your profile..... I wonder if that makes it more or less likely that you will check out a profile?

What will the 'Friends' facility provide? Has this facility been requested by someone?

Cruella
20th-August-2008, 10:13 AM
So - the new profile enables you to see who has looked at your profile..... I wonder if that makes it more or less likely that you will check out a profile?

Unless they are invisible, then it just says 1 person has visited.

LemonCake
20th-August-2008, 10:30 AM
Less. My profile has already had a visit - I'm not sure if I know that person but don't feel comfortable going to see who it is.

Also, the profile page shows exactly where you are on the forum right now - this feels like an invasion of privacy. If I want to broadcast where I am & what I'm reading, I'll post. I don't mind the forum showing whether I'm online or not - it's a bit like acknowledging 'yes, I'm at home' - but I don't have glass walls on my house to show people where I am every second of the time, and I don't see why the forum should advertise it either. I realise that mods can probably see and records are kept of who's been where but I don't think it's necessary for everything to be public knowledge.

Also, all the best smileys (hugs, kisses, love, flowers particularly) aren't working. Looking again, is it all the ones with moving bits?

Finally, trying to get back to the main forum page or 'recent posts' page from my profile, I get stuck at an error page with a lot of 'Failed to open stream: No such file or directory' messages. In fact, I get this with just about any move so I don't even know if this will post!

David Bailey
20th-August-2008, 11:56 AM
Also, the profile page shows exactly where you are on the forum right now - this feels like an invasion of privacy.
It always did, though, didn't it?

ducasi
20th-August-2008, 12:00 PM
It always did, though, didn't it?
I believe so, unless you choose to be "invisible".

Yliander
20th-August-2008, 12:07 PM
just looked at the new profile page - nope NOT a fan!! too many clicks involved to get to anything - much prefered the old one page format

not sure of the point of visitor messages on my profile - especially as they are public

also not so keen on list of visitors to my profile...

there does seem to be a space where photo albums that a user has created is displayed which I quite like the idea of - as I've never really managed to get a handle on the photo gallery :blush:

ducasi
20th-August-2008, 12:20 PM
not sure of the point of visitor messages on my profile - especially as they are public
The "visitor messages" are the same as your Facebook "Wall". Do you see any point in that?

cat
20th-August-2008, 12:21 PM
Think i prefered the old format, was easier to use. And whats happened to the whos online list on the main page? Dont want to know what people are looking at but is useful to see whos online in case you want to chat.

ducasi
20th-August-2008, 12:22 PM
More things to fix... :flower:

We've lost the list of reputation comments we've given.

And as Northants Girly said, trying to edit or delete gives errors.

ducasi
20th-August-2008, 12:22 PM
Think i prefered the old format, was easier to use. And whats happened to the whos online list on the main page? Dont want to know what people are looking at but is useful to see whos online in case you want to chat.
It's at the bottom of the page.

Lou
20th-August-2008, 12:33 PM
Hi guys, just to let you know that I have updated the Forum software overnight, and as a result, you're likely to find a few issues over the next few days. In particular, I seem to have irretrievably deleted many pictures, including avatars, smillies, and navigation icons :( so some of you might have to re-upload your avatar.
Hiya Franck - this is just in case you hadn't noticed, but they are missing for the Silver skin. Though I'm sure you have it in hand. Good luck! :) :)

Lou
20th-August-2008, 12:38 PM
Also - when I edit a post... when I've made the changes & pressed the save button, a little animated circle goes around & around & doesn't stop, and the changes don't appear.

If I then press cancel , it doesn't look like the changes have been applied, but if I go back into that thread/post, they have! :D

Dreadful Scathe
20th-August-2008, 12:39 PM
Hiya Franck - this is just in case you hadn't noticed, but they are missing for the Silver skin. Though I'm sure you have it in hand. Good luck! :)

I use Apple White and there are no icons for that either.

Also, the profile page shows exactly where you are on the forum right now - this feels like an invasion of privacy.

The forum has always had this ability, maybe now you just know to much :). Kinda like cctv, ignorance is ok but if you were to find out how many times a day you were actually filmed, it would bug you :)

cat
20th-August-2008, 12:43 PM
Thanks ducasi, didnt think of looking elsewhere for it :blush:

JiveLad
20th-August-2008, 01:14 PM
Less. My profile has already had a visit - I'm not sure if I know that person but don't feel comfortable going to see who it is.

Also, the profile page shows exactly where you are on the forum right now - this feels like an invasion of privacy. If I want to broadcast where I am & what I'm reading, I'll post. I don't mind the forum showing whether I'm online or not - it's a bit like acknowledging 'yes, I'm at home' - but I don't have glass walls on my house to show people where I am every second of the time, and I don't see why the forum should advertise it either. I realise that mods can probably see and records are kept of who's been where but I don't think it's necessary for everything to be public knowledge.

Also, all the best smileys (hugs, kisses, love, flowers particularly) aren't working. Looking again, is it all the ones with moving bits?

Finally, trying to get back to the main forum page or 'recent posts' page from my profile, I get stuck at an error page with a lot of 'Failed to open stream: No such file or directory' messages. In fact, I get this with just about any move so I don't even know if this will post!

Yes - after Northants Girl made her post about it - I actually clicked on her Profile - to see how it would look - and of course it now says I looked at her Profile.......now I'm thinking that someone might just wonder why another person looked at your profile - even though of course it is perfectly harmless.

Hmmmm - a step backwards methinks........

Can anyone explain how changes are 'voted' for and agreed? Is there a committee of the great and the good - or.....?

----

Little Black Dress
20th-August-2008, 01:56 PM
Yes - after Northants Girl made her post about it - I actually clicked on her Profile - to see how it would look - and of course it now says I looked at her Profile.......now I'm thinking that someone might just wonder why another person looked at your profile - even though of course it is perfectly harmless.

Hmmmm - a step backwards methinks........----

:yeah that:

It certainly could make you a little paranoid knowing who's looked at your profile - and how many times. It's just a little too much unnecessary info for my liking...

Billi Wiz
20th-August-2008, 02:05 PM
:blush:OMG - I am now totally paranoid at looking at anyones profile (which I sometimes do in case I recognise them from Competitions/Freestyles..) in case they think I am some sort of stalker... Eeek!

Lory
20th-August-2008, 02:15 PM
Am I the only person who really likes it?

I love the new 'uncluttered' look :waycool: Its so much more relaxing on the eye!

I also like the little profile messages!

I don't care if people look at my profile, or see that i've looked at theirs. I look at peoples profiles for all sorts of reasons..

Sometimes its cos I want to find more of their post, as I know they're written something but I can't remember where..

Sometimes I like to see there profile pic, to see f I recognize them.

Sometimes I want to see when their birthday is

Your all Mad! :devil::wink:

Trouble
20th-August-2008, 02:30 PM
can you see who looked at your profile then cause all it says on mine is 2 visits

David Bailey
20th-August-2008, 02:31 PM
No, I quite like it also.

But there's always a "Change Is Bad" brigade.

Oh, and thank you, Franck, for putting the effort in to improve the forum software. No-one's said that yet... :rolleyes:

Yliander
20th-August-2008, 03:15 PM
It's at the bottom of the page. silly place for it!

Stuart M
20th-August-2008, 03:18 PM
Can anyone explain how changes are 'voted' for and agreed? Is there a committee of the great and the good?
Yes.

Changes are voted on by the Forum Rules, Attributes, Nuances, Conventions, and Knowledge committee.

:wink:

Lee Bartholomew
20th-August-2008, 03:43 PM

I like it too. :waycool:

A few new smilies wouldn't go amiss either ;)

What has happened to rep points and stats?

Has everyone with negative rep totals been reset back to 0?

stewart38
20th-August-2008, 03:49 PM
Lots of problems logging on

JiveLad
20th-August-2008, 03:51 PM
Yes.

Changes are voted on by the Forum Rules, Attributes, Nuances, Conventions, and Knowledge committee.

I wonder if those of us who pay for the service should have some sort of say in how it develops - and what enhancements are made?

Otherwise, it seems (to quote another post) that we are in some kind of dictatorship. Personally, I think there would be more value in some minor restructuring of the the topic areas.

And :tears: no-one has looked at my Profile and I haven't got any friends. :tears:

JiveLad
20th-August-2008, 03:55 PM
And I just noticed that 'Rep' has disappeared....?!

I know this was the subject of a lot of discussion just after I joined the forum.

Is it a display 'option' or something - because there is still 'Rep Power'.

David Bailey
20th-August-2008, 03:56 PM
I wonder if those of us who pay for the service should have some sort of say in how it develops - and what enhancements are made?
That's what the "Forum technical problems / Questions / Suggestions" forum's for - and you get loads of fun stuff for your £20 /year already.

Otherwise, it seems (to quote another post) that we are in some kind of dictatorship.
Well, yeah. Franck's gaff, his rules. And the problem with this is...?

Personally, I think there would be more value in some minor restructuring of the the topic areas.
Post a thread in this forum then :)

And :tears: no-one has looked at my Profile and I haven't got any friends. :tears:
Probably coz you keep whingeing :na:

Ooops, neither have I...

straycat
20th-August-2008, 03:57 PM
Why is there now this glowing piece of text up top telling us that the Forum 'rules'?

I mean - surely people already know that the Forum rules? Isn't that why everyone's here? :whistle:

I'll get me coat.

Stuart M
20th-August-2008, 03:58 PM
So, in place of rep-tarts we now have profile-prozzies? :D

cat
20th-August-2008, 04:06 PM

What does the friends thing do? Is it just a list of people you like or does it do anything else?

stewart38
20th-August-2008, 04:12 PM
That's what the "Forum technical problems / Questions / Suggestions" forum's for - and you get loads of fun stuff for your £20 /year already.

As Jive lad says it would have been nice to have asked those who pay for the service ,what improvements they would like to see, isnt that preferable to everyone saying what they dont like after its been done ?

Lynn
20th-August-2008, 04:21 PM
Just a few comments....

No 'recent posts' option. Which means if you have read a thread, but want to go back and post on it, it won't come up as a 'new' post thread so you have to try to remember where it was. Is there another way of quickly finding recent posts?

The 'new posts' page (which is the one I use most) is a lot more cluttered. Two extra columns meaning needing to scroll L-R to see page, and lots of extra words 'go to first new post' before each thread title and sometimes also 'you are suscribed to this thread', plus 'go to last post' etc. Are these temp features to be replaced with icons?

Haven't looked at my (or anyone else's!) profile yet.

JiveLad
20th-August-2008, 04:28 PM
Well, yeah. Franck's gaff, his rules. And the problem with this is...?

Ooops, neither have I...

When did I say there was a 'problem' with it? :confused: After all Mussolini did make the trains run on time.

As long as it is how I would design it myself, then it is fine. :wink:

Oh and the new "Nananah" smiley looks positively spooky. Is the mouth slightly distorted a la Lembik Opek (or whatever he is called)?

So - what is the story on Rep?

Minnie M
20th-August-2008, 04:52 PM
How do you log OFF ?

Some of my smilie selections are blocked out

When I edit a post the surrounding box stays there ??

straycat
20th-August-2008, 05:05 PM
How do you log OFF ?

Log Out button on the right of the top navigation bar.

Minnie M
20th-August-2008, 05:18 PM
Log Out button on the right of the top navigation bar.

Whoops ........... see it now, thanks (can't see the display of hug smilie - selecting the box anyway):hug:

robd
20th-August-2008, 05:22 PM
Sadly the feature to 'Ignore selected moderators' seems not to have been implemented in this update :sad:

fletch
20th-August-2008, 05:23 PM
I don't like change :tears:

Steven666
20th-August-2008, 05:24 PM

That's what I thought till I saw it shoved at the bottom.

Lynn
20th-August-2008, 06:30 PM
No 'recent posts' option. Its back now! Thanks. :D

.. lots of extra words 'go to first new post' before each thread title and sometimes also 'you are suscribed to this thread', plus 'go to last post' etc. Are these temp features to be replaced with icons?So any likelihood of this changing? I'm finding it a bit hard to find the thread titles, even though they're in bold, because they're surrounded by a lot of extra text.

Not complaining btw, I know no-one will be happy with all changes. Just trying to give some useful feedback at where I think the changes could be tweaked.

Caz
20th-August-2008, 06:35 PM
Quite like the new forum so far.. haven't come across any glitches yet

dave the scaffolder
20th-August-2008, 07:01 PM
If the Tango God himself, ie David Bailey thinks this upgrade is a good thing.

Then who are we? Mere mortals, mere dust under his shoes, to dare to complain about anything.

David Bailey for Prime Minister says I.

You are ok in my book Jamesy, oops sorry, Bailey my lover.

DTS XXX XXX

Lee Bartholomew
20th-August-2008, 07:05 PM
Love the new smilies. Do wonder if Franck drew this one ( :na: ) himself though.

Lee Bartholomew
20th-August-2008, 07:43 PM
Something else to dd to e list. If people's rep total is a negative amount, their little bar at the bottom shows as green and not red like it used to.

JiveLad
20th-August-2008, 07:45 PM
Love the new smilies. Do wonder if Franck drew this one ( :na: ) himself though.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I think it is based on Lembit Opik:

http://bp1.blogger.com/_EhJQ-WwbN6Q/RYaO9Rn0w8I/AAAAAAAAAAY/B-BbuDbSyEA/s320/Lembit_Opik.jpg
:banghead::doh::eyebrow:

Yliander
20th-August-2008, 11:53 PM
slowly bonding with new forum - not major glitches

the new smiles are kinda cool - but could we have the more regularly used ones at top - so don't have to scroll down to get to them

also just discovered I have to scrooooolll a long way to get to the submit button which isn't so much fun :(

only other real niggle for me is the amount of space on the main page that all the general stuff takes up - have scroll down just to get to the threads - also some of the icons are very big - making for little reading before having to scroll.

that said it looks pretty slick and I'm guessing for admins and moderators it has some very nifty tools to make your life easier.

Q - is it possible to see who are your referals - I have 3!! I want to know who!!!

Jay Jay
21st-August-2008, 12:43 AM
Must say wasn't sure at first but having had a good look around...am liking it. Love the new icons..am off to the chat rooms for a look:popcorn:

Whitebeard
21st-August-2008, 01:23 AM
Must say wasn't sure at first but having had a good look around...am liking it. Love the new icons..am off to the chat rooms for a look:popcorn:

It was awful in ipod white but having tried all the Styles I've settled on Metallic where everything seems pretty normal.

(I'm rather surprised, in view of Francks loyalties, that ipod white and Apple White weren't the first to receive due diligence.)

Lynn
21st-August-2008, 02:40 AM
It was awful in ipod white but having tried all the Styles I've settled on Metallic where everything seems pretty normal.
Yes I had been using ipod white and it had all the extra text instead of icons, have changed now.

Dreadful Scathe
21st-August-2008, 08:51 AM
i'm still using Apple White and there are no IM icons. Perhaps i'll change :)

edit: tried metallic - and its quite nice :)

Lynn
21st-August-2008, 08:57 AM
i'm still using Apple White and there are no IM icons. Perhaps i'll change :)

edit: tried metallic - and its quite nice :)Yes, I'm quite liking metallic as well. (Thanks Whitebeard!)

Stuart M
21st-August-2008, 09:47 AM
Sticking with iPod White (least intrusive style for office surfing) - lots of icons seem to not load up. Also the new (huge) smilies are making the reply page too large IMO - do we really need them (particularly this one :tune: - it's really far too big and wreaks havoc with post syntax)?

One other thing, which might have been there before anyway: I clicked on someone's blog entry, and the blog page came up in the standard bright orange style. Was the iPod white schema rolled out to the Blogs section?

Twirly
21st-August-2008, 10:31 AM
Well having tried several colours am sticking with subtle blue, although with all of them I'm still getting lots of little red crosses and things not loaded up properly which is skewing my screen weirdly in places. Particularly irritating with the new smilies as can't see what some of them actually are.

Franck - next time you do an update, can you please put an "unread/new posts" button at the bottom of the page. I'm lazy and hate scrolling back up when I've got to the bottom of the page :blush:

bigdjiver
21st-August-2008, 11:29 AM
Love the albums feature on the members page. I have posted a photograph for the first time, and it was a doddle. Well done on that, Franck.

Lory
21st-August-2008, 11:31 AM
Franck - next time you do an update, can you please put an "unread/new posts" button at the bottom of the page. I'm lazy and hate scrolling back up when I've got to the bottom of the page :blush:

Hey that's a great idea!!! :respect:

Oh and btw Franck, we have 2 :respek: 's on the icon panel. Excatly the same icon, just spelt differently.

Maxine
21st-August-2008, 12:59 PM
Starting to enjoy the new format and like most others loving the icons :popcorn:

But not sure about checking out the profiles, someone has checked mine out and I don’t know who, don’t like that makes me feel a bit paranoid, :scared:then when I logged in today and nobody has checked out my profile, I feel unloved, there's no pleasing me

Stuart M
21st-August-2008, 02:47 PM
Never noticed before so I assume it's part of the update - why does the rep indicator bar have sections in two shades of green? My own appears to be 5 dark, 2 light.

Dreadful Scathe
21st-August-2008, 03:09 PM
Never noticed before so I assume it's part of the update - why does the rep indicator bar have sections in two shades of green? My own appears to be 5 dark, 2 light.

Its your Jedi quotiant.
:)

I am 6 light 5 dark ;)

Stuart M
21st-August-2008, 03:14 PM
Its your Jedi quotiant.
:)

I am 6 light 5 dark ;)
Plausible explanation, given the appearance of the

:sabers:

smilie (I demand rep/midiclorians for being the only person to ever find a 100% valid context for it :D )

straycat
21st-August-2008, 03:40 PM
smilie (I demand rep/midiclorians for being the only person to ever find a 100% valid context for it :D )

Demand, say you. Remember Anakin, say I. He too rep/midiclorians did demand. Usher in a new Dark Era for the forum, you could, as did he.

Stuart M
21st-August-2008, 03:49 PM
Demand, say you. Remember Anakin, say I. He too rep/midiclorians did demand. Usher in a new Dark Era for the forum, you could, as did he.
Well, I'm 5 dark/2 light. I'm nearly there.

*Thinks before asking to be saved: Cool costumes, helmets, tattoos and lightsabers - or robes, beards and a muppet?*

*Decides to demand rep/midiclorians again*
:whip:

Stuart M
21st-August-2008, 04:26 PM
OMG! At this rate I'll soon be Darth Breville! :devil:

Dreadful Scathe
21st-August-2008, 04:30 PM
OMG! At this rate I'll soon be Darth Breville! :devil:

No need - Darth Toaster has a great ring to it :)

JiveLad
21st-August-2008, 04:31 PM
Looking at the smileys I sense there are a few too many of the 'negative' variety. I'm not sure that is a good thing. I will do a full analysis later.

Anyway..................

:sleep: time for a siesta.

Steven666
21st-August-2008, 04:36 PM

Light greens = a line of dark greens

Golds = a line of light greens

That's the case on another forum I know. I have two red bars there. 8-)

Also each dark greeny is worth 100 and you get one to start with. My rep is exactly 100 so I've got two altogether. If someone neg repped me, I'll be back down to one.

Maybe I shouldn't have said that...

JiveLad
21st-August-2008, 04:43 PM

The other thing is that if you hover your cursor over it, it gives some different messages:

For example, for me it says "Jive Lad is a jewel in the rough"

Steven666 will become famous soon enough

Deadful Scathe has much to be proud of

David Bailey has a splendid one to behold (or something like that)

etc.......

Keefy
21st-August-2008, 04:49 PM
Full respect to Frank for the upgrade, it's a massive job and sorting out the glitches and niggles will take time.

Love some of the new features but not a huge fan of the new layout (I'm using Metallic Wide now). Some of the new icons and buttons are a bit large and garish.

A pet irritation is the new layout of the search results, the standard 'New Posts' that virtually everybody uses. What you actually want to see, the new posts list, starts so far down the page that the majority of it is beneath the fold and needs scrolling. With all the space taken up by the header, the navigation and now large items of Quick News there's no room for the actual content you're looking for :nice:

Huge step forward in functionality this new release, some lovely new toys :devil: But a bit of a step backwards in usability IMHO with graphics and gizmo's taking precedence over actual content.

I'll get used to it :nice:

p.s. Those massive icons on this reply page with the 'Submit Reply' button miles away are a good case in point :banghead:

Lou
21st-August-2008, 04:59 PM
Lovely! And thanks to Franck for fixing all the issues I found! :friend:

Maxine
21st-August-2008, 05:00 PM
Tried out the flashChat with Jay Jay, we had a coffee in the blues room. Don’t usually get a chance to have a coffee with Jay Jay in the week – lots of Icons :grin:

Have had some visits to my profile now so feel:love:d thanks

Stuart M
21st-August-2008, 05:03 PM
No need - Darth Toaster has a great ring to it :)
Bit too mundane really. I'd reckoned Breville fitted the Sith style: cheesy, antiquated, almost like a proper word and name at the same time. Mind you the name it is like, is Neville. Ach.

How about...Darth Morphious? Or is that just too derivative?

Lee Bartholomew
21st-August-2008, 05:03 PM
Light greens = a line of dark greens

Golds = a line of light greens

That's the case on another forum I know. I have two red bars there. 8-)

Also each dark greeny is worth 100 and you get one to start with. My rep is exactly 100 so I've got two altogether. If someone neg repped me, I'll be back down to one.

Maybe I shouldn't have said that...

Reds dont show up. Looks at Sproggs profile. He must have about -5 neg rep points at the mo.

Lory
21st-August-2008, 05:17 PM
I logged in today and nobody has checked out my profile, I feel unloved, there's no pleasing me

I think your greedy, you've had more love than me! :WetHaddock:

ducasi
21st-August-2008, 05:21 PM
Reds dont show up. Looks at Sproggs profile. He must have about -5 neg rep points at the mo.
I think you are mistaken.

To answer Stuart M's question, the dark green/light green thing has always been that way. It reflects the fact that people with higher rep are brighter. :D

HelenB
21st-August-2008, 06:51 PM
As far as I can work out you can see who's been looking at your profile is they've coughed up the dosh to be a silver member. It's all a bit big brother'ish though so I'm not so sure I like it - I often click on profiles on the "who's going where" threads to see if they have a profile pic - now I'm going to have to cease that or look like a stalker :what:

Love some of the smilies :friend: :scared: :popcorn: :tantrum:

Not sure about some of the others... especially those that take up so much page space

And didn't we use to be able to see a member's rep score on their posts?? (not just their rep power)

Anyway, can't have been an easy job to upgrade it so :respect: to Franck

JiveLad
21st-August-2008, 07:01 PM
As far as I can work out you can see who's been looking at your profile is they've coughed up the dosh to be a silver member. It's all a bit big brother'ish though so I'm not so sure I like it - I often click on profiles on the "who's going where" threads to see if they have a profile pic - now I'm going to have to cease that or look like a stalker :what:

Yes - I think that from the early feedback so far, this is the one feature that many people dislike - and is fairly clearly a retrograde step. Why? Because it is making people 'suspicious' and reluctant to check out others profiles - and so not using the system in the way I'm sure Franck intended.

Apart from that there are some positive changes - so yes - credit to Franck!

Meanwhile can the profile view change be backed out?

Thanks.

StokeBloke
21st-August-2008, 07:21 PM
I'm not seeing the Google adverts anymore Franck :confused:

Jay Jay
22nd-August-2008, 01:10 AM
Tried out the flashChat with Jay Jay, we had a coffee in the blues room. Don’t usually get a chance to have a coffee with Jay Jay in the week – lots of Icons :grin:

Have had some visits to my profile now so feel:love:d thanks

Indeed enjoyed our banter earlier.....no one else ever seems to go there, obviously I have too much time on my hands :whistle:....and stop showing off about your profile visits ... just cos I have only had the one:sad:

~*~Saligal~*~
22nd-August-2008, 02:25 AM
I'm seeing a lot of new threads set-up by "classified advertisements" - is this just a glitch? or will this be ongoing?

stewart38
22nd-August-2008, 08:59 AM
Any link to 'what adding a friend' implies ?

Whats the blog bit ? Link to that

Can't see anything on it

what was the theory hiding the rep points ?

I guess you will judge someone on what they say not there rep

stewart38
22nd-August-2008, 09:02 AM

Where is the link to that

want to see if I've any stalkers :whip:

Be funny if no one has looked at my profile for the last 3yrs, maybe I should wait till after the bank holiday:sad:

Easily Led
22nd-August-2008, 09:13 AM
What do you do if someone asks to be your friend? :friend:

tsh
22nd-August-2008, 09:15 AM
I'm not sure I need all the added stuff in profiles...

Is there a mobile friendly layout available yet?

Sean

bigdjiver
22nd-August-2008, 09:28 AM
How does one make a blog entry?

HelenB
22nd-August-2008, 09:47 AM
Where is the link to that

want to see if I've any stalkers

If you click on your public profile you can see who's visited it in a box bottom right hand side of screen

What do you do if someone asks to be your friend? :friend:

Using Quick Links, go to Contacts & Friends. You need to click the box next to the avatar (of the request) and then save changes (your friends are also visible on the profile page)

HTH

Agente Secreto
22nd-August-2008, 09:48 AM
I'm not getting access to the Chat system. Although I'm logged in it asks me for my username and password but then doesn't seem to take them.

Lou
22nd-August-2008, 09:52 AM
How does one make a blog entry?

Click "Blogs" at the top of the page (it's between the Forum Rules and FAQ links). Then there's an option to "Post to your blog" on the left of the screen.

Hope that helps - I've never tried it myself! :D

stewart38
22nd-August-2008, 10:13 AM
If you click on your public profile you can see who's visited it in a box bottom right hand side of screen

HTH

well mine cant be working says

This page has had 0 visits

ps was pick of me at first Pontins I think ?

Steven666
22nd-August-2008, 10:49 AM
well mine cant be working says

This page has had 0 visits

ps was pick of me at first Pontins I think ?

What about now? ;)

bigdjiver
22nd-August-2008, 11:34 AM
Click "Blogs" at the top of the page (it's between the Forum Rules and FAQ links). Then there's an option to "Post to your blog" on the left of the screen.

Hope that helps - I've never tried it myself! :DI do not see it. Is it a Silver feature?

Lory
22nd-August-2008, 11:38 AM
Just noticed, you can't send attachments or pics in PM's anymore?

DavidY
22nd-August-2008, 12:50 PM
Franck - next time you do an update, can you please put an "unread/new posts" button at the bottom of the page. I'm lazy and hate scrolling back up when I've got to the bottom of the page :blush:I'm possibly even lazier.

So what I did is right clicked on the New Posts link and added it as a Favourite (or Bookmark, depending on which browser I'm using).

Then I can always access it from the menu at the top of the screen.

For added geekiness and speed you can work out the keystrokes to get to that menu option too.:wink:

Lory
22nd-August-2008, 12:58 PM
Message tracking isn't working!

Lou
22nd-August-2008, 01:06 PM
I do not see it. Is it a Silver feature?
I just logged out & I can still see the "Blogs" link.

However, when I click it there's no option to post to the blog anymore, but there is the following text:

Benefits of Silver membership: - View what everyone is up to on the 'Who's online page, be invisible on the Forum, Create your own Blog, Remove Google Adverts, Filter new posts to avoid certain areas (e.g. Fun & Games, Chit Chat, Geek corner, etc...) when searching new posts, choose a custom avatar and have a Signature! Join today from as little as £6.00

So I think the answer is yes! :wink:

Aurion
22nd-August-2008, 02:07 PM
I'm possibly even lazier.

So what I did is right clicked on the New Posts link and added it as a Favourite (or Bookmark, depending on which browser I'm using).

Then I can always access it from the menu at the top of the screen.

For added geekiness and speed you can work out the keystrokes to get to that menu option too.:wink:

Could even set it as your home page :whistle: after all it's the only url of any importance (for a very broad definition of importance...)

stewart38
22nd-August-2008, 03:33 PM
What about now? ;)

List 8 visits and couldnt see you there ?

Im confused does this mean no more stalking :naughty:

Lynn
22nd-August-2008, 05:10 PM
List 8 visits and couldnt see you there ?

Im confused does this mean no more stalking :naughty:If you are 'hidden' then I don't think you show if you visit a profile. Though I've just looked at your profile and it does list Steven as having visited.

HelenB
22nd-August-2008, 05:10 PM
Great to see the smilie list on replies is now more organised :waycool:

With a few new extras including this one :lol: - makes me laugh just looking at it...

Minnie M
22nd-August-2008, 05:11 PM
My apologies Franck :respect: I was a little impatient when first seeing the new software ...:blush: (silly emails - I panicked as I couldn't post anything)

Love the new smilies and am getting used to the new stuff - still not sure of it, but a great improvement

THANK YOU :hug:

stewart38
22nd-August-2008, 05:36 PM
If you are 'hidden' then I don't think you show if you visit a profile. Though I've just looked at your profile and it does list Steven as having visited.

Yes now shows 16 and he is on there and wasnt before

Suggests he looked much later then he suggested ?

Where is Colombo when you need him

Steven666
22nd-August-2008, 06:47 PM
Yes now shows 16 and he is on there and wasnt before

Suggests he looked much later then he suggested ?

I looked about ten seconds after I made the post!

Easily Led
22nd-August-2008, 07:34 PM
If people ask to be your friend and you tick them - do you have to ask to be their friend too or does it happen anyway?:friend::friend::friend:

(I expect if I knew anything about Facebook I would know the answer to this already but this is all new and exciting to me!)

Easily Excited.

Steven666
22nd-August-2008, 07:43 PM
If people ask to be your friend and you tick them - do you have to ask to be their friend too or does it happen anyway?:friend::friend::friend:

(I expect if I knew anything about Facebook I would know the answer to this already but this is all new and exciting to me!)

Easily Excited.

They get automatically added.

ducasi
22nd-August-2008, 08:00 PM
The :awe: smilie seems to have disappeared. :(

Donna
23rd-August-2008, 11:43 AM
Hmm just logged on and wow! What a change!

Yeah I see the bit about who looked in profile last. Very handy. :rolleyes::banghead: Is that just for members or for both members and registered users?

Love the new smiles too! :na:

rubyred
23rd-August-2008, 12:58 PM
I have a problem with my smilies, they have gone into three columns, and the third column has gone off the page. Any advice please.

Thank you

:flower:

Genevieve
23rd-August-2008, 01:09 PM

Off stalking somebody, lol

stewart38
23rd-August-2008, 02:58 PM
Off stalking somebody, lol

3 others have tried to add me as friend but i cant 'find' them now. This is all very confusing

To the person i rejected as a friend that was an error ,sorry . will you be my friend again ill bring some sweeties

Beowulf
24th-August-2008, 12:01 AM

My Stalking days are numbered :really:

LemonCake
24th-August-2008, 12:15 AM

:yeah: :tears: Please, pretty please, may we have it back? I'm prepared to bribe with home baking! There's nothing else in the list that gives the same impression as the :awe: smiley - it's kind of blushy and delighted and humbly happy. Air kissing :kiss: and blowing hearts :love: just don't quite capture it. The rest of the new ones, while very good, do seem to have a rather violent bent to them...

bigdjiver
24th-August-2008, 12:40 AM
:yeah: :tears: Please, pretty please, may we have it back? I'm prepared to bribe with home baking! There's nothing else in the list that gives the same impression as the :awe: smiley - it's kind of blushy and delighted and humbly happy. Air kissing :kiss: and blowing hearts :love: just don't quite capture it. The rest of the new ones, while very good, do seem to have a rather violent bent to them...I wondered what old posts using the icon I think you mean would display, and they show :worthy:

which I got by typing worthy with a : before and after.

DavidY
24th-August-2008, 08:33 AM
I wondered what old posts using the icon I think you mean would display, and they show :worthy:

which I got by typing worthy with a : before and after.I think you're thinking of a different one. The smiley which ducasi's thinking of just shows the text ":awe:" now. :tears:

LemonCake
24th-August-2008, 02:53 PM
It looked like this (see attached). I saved it to take it over to MSN Messenger ages ago.

It doesn't show in old PMs either :tears:

If it's a matter of space then perhaps now that we have :lol: we could dispense with :rofl:, or better yet :troll:. I'm sure there are many more flirty and warm fuzzy loved-up feelings on this forum than troll-feeding, and if not there should be!

Aha! Just pinpointed to myself why :love: doesn't quite meet all requirements - it's an action of blowing kisses TO someone else, whereas :awe: is about one's own feeling, esp how one is made to feel by or about someone else.

Franck
24th-August-2008, 03:25 PM
First of all, thanks to everyone who posted on this thread with issues and reports, it has been invaluable as I was working on fixing everything! I have replied to a few posts below:

If it's a matter of space then perhaps now that we have :lol: we could dispense with :rofl:I agree with you and didn't mean to remove it. I had lost the original and couldn't find it again, so thanks to Ducasi and yourself for attaching it to your posts. I have now re-added it.

I have a problem with my smilies, they have gone into three columns, and the third column has gone off the page. Any advice please.I'm not sure why that is but will try to fix it, does anyone else have the same problem? Can you tell me which Style you're using (Orange, metallic, etc.) and whether the problem disappears if you change style?

I'm not seeing the Google adverts anymore Franck :confused:At the moment, I only have the adverts at the bottom of each page when reading threads (Silver members don't see any adverts of course). I can't remember where I had the adverts prior to the adverts, so let me know where you would like to see more Ads :

I'm seeing a lot of new threads set-up by "classified advertisements" - is this just a glitch? or will this be ongoing?That was just a temporary glitch when I upgraded to the latest version of the Classified software... Check-out the 'For Sale!' section (from the orange link bar at the top of page) to add any item for sale on the forum.

Is there a mobile friendly layout available yetThat's under development, I haven't found one I liked at the moment, though when I do, it will optimized for the iPhone :waycool:

I'm not getting access to the Chat system.I am not sure why that would be, I might need more info re. cookies, did you tick the 'keep me logged in box' when logging on to the forum? I would need to know browser version, etc.

Just noticed, you can't send attachments or pics in PM's anymore?That should now be fixed.

Message tracking isn't working!The box is not ticked automatically any longer, I'll look into fixing it soon, but it should work apart from that.

A pet irritation is the new layout of the search results, the standard 'New Posts' that virtually everybody uses. What you actually want to see, the new posts list, starts so far down the page that the majority of it is beneath the fold and needs scrolling. I agree with you, and I have now shrunk all the headers to improve the display. I will keep looking into ways to improve the layout.

I think I've fixed most of the issues but please keep reporting any weirdness or indeed wishes...

Steven666
24th-August-2008, 04:06 PM
Can you add http://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/images/smilies3/spank.gif?

Astro
24th-August-2008, 04:53 PM
Can you add http://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/images/smilies3/spank.gif?

Can't think of anyone who'd use that......:whistle:

Gojive
24th-August-2008, 05:11 PM
I'm not sure why that is but will try to fix it, does anyone else have the same problem? Can you tell me which Style you're using (Orange, metallic, etc.) and whether the problem disappears if you change style?

Hi Franck,

The above was in relation to the problem of smillies disappearing off edge of the page when replying to a post - I too have the same problem, and have tried switching from default Orange, to Aqua to see if it changes....no dice. FYI, I'm using IE7 on Windows XP SP3, with a screen res of 1024 x 768 (laptop).
smile
Cheers,

Iain

bigdjiver
24th-August-2008, 06:25 PM
Thanks for the Thanks feature :worthy:

I lose most of the musique icon off the RHS of my screen in Ceroc Orange independent of screen resolutions, and I have just discovered that there is just few pixels of "cheers". Am I missing a third column?

Franck
24th-August-2008, 06:45 PM
The above was in relation to the problem of smillies disappearing off edge of the page when replying to a post - I too have the same problem, and have tried switching from default Orange, to Aqua to see if it changes....no dice.Thanks,

I have now limited the number of displayed smillies (if you want to see the larger ones you'll have to click on the "More" link or learn their typed shortcut (i.e. type :shortcut: between colons directly in your posts).

Let me know if that fixes the issue.

Gojive
24th-August-2008, 06:48 PM
Thanks,

I have now limited the number of displayed smillies (if you want to see the larger ones you'll have to click on the "More" link or learn their typed shortcut (i.e. type :shortcut: between colons directly in your posts).

Let me know if that fixes the issue.
Yup! Works just fine - Fanks Tank..I mean Tanks Fank....on bugger, I'll just use the new 'thanks' feature :D:D

Minnie M
24th-August-2008, 07:19 PM
What are the orange & green bars for ?

JiveLad
24th-August-2008, 07:27 PM
What are the orange & green bars for ?

Well it looks like you reached the maximum (for whatever it is) at '100'. I think it is to do with essential goodness.

:nice:

Lynn
24th-August-2008, 07:27 PM
What are the orange & green bars for ?Was wondering that too! Something to do with points and activity - but not sure how it is measured?

JiveLad
24th-August-2008, 07:32 PM
A quick scan of the Orange bar reveals some scores: eg.

David Bailey - 58,000 odd
Lory - 46,000 odd
Minnie M - 40,000 odd

As well as all being at Level 100.

Is it a combination of postings, longevity and...........essential goodness?

I am guessing my infraction reduces my score (am I the only person with an infraction?).

I am also testing out the 'Thanks' button - which seems to work just fine.

How do we differentiate 'Rep' and 'Thanks'?

ShinyWeeStar
24th-August-2008, 07:36 PM
I don't fully understand it, but there is a breakdown of where you get the points from (posts, threads, activity, etc) on your user profile, under the vBExperience tab. :nice:

Minnie M
24th-August-2008, 07:40 PM
A quick scan of the Orange bar reveals some scores: eg.

David Bailey - 58,000 odd
Lory - 46,000 odd
Minnie M - 40,000 odd

As well as all being at Level 100.

Is it a combination of postings, longevity and...........essential goodness?

I am guessing my infraction reduces my score (am I the only person with an infraction?).

I am also testing out the 'Thanks' button - which seems to work just fine.

How do we differentiate 'Rep' and 'Thanks'?

ahhh........... might be number of posts

In the old version I was one of the top 5 thread starters and one of the top 20 posters (not sure actual posititions)

hey ........ you can remove your thanks !

bigdjiver
24th-August-2008, 07:42 PM
What are the orange & green bars for ?For the curious to hover their mouse over and read the pop-ups?

Activity and points.

This update is a real step forward with no downside that I have yet found. A substantial amount of quality work.

Minnie M
24th-August-2008, 07:45 PM
For the curious to hover their mouse over and read the pop-ups? ..........

I did :wink:

JiveLad
24th-August-2008, 07:55 PM
For the curious to hover their mouse over and read the pop-ups?

Activity and points.

And what do points make?

PRIZES!

:clap:

JiveLad
24th-August-2008, 08:16 PM
One for the Cloud Appreciation Society:

There is now a 'Tag Cloud' which you can see under a Member profile - and it shows the top 100 words used in posts (I guess). I assume that this is a global Tag Cloud for all members (otherwise I am sure 'cloud' and breast' would appear if it was just based on my posts).

It is interesting to note that 'women' appears in the top 100 words - but 'men' does not. I wonder why that is?

:what:

Actually, it would be interesting to see individual member tag clouds (or at least a gender based one....).

Well....interesting in a relative sense that is.

Beowulf
24th-August-2008, 08:20 PM
Hmm.. a league table? that's all we need.. Surely it's just going to encourage more people to post nonsense to get their reps / activity counts up to get into the top scoring positions :rolleyes:

The Passion Harem
24th-August-2008, 08:33 PM
On the User CP page, the Edit Avatar option has 363 pages and one avatar option per page. That is a lot to get through :banghead:

:hug:

Keefy
24th-August-2008, 09:02 PM
Frank... lovely new toys... but look at the screen 'real estate'!!!! :banghead: The visual garbage (the novelty very soon wears off) in the user information on the left for a post vastly exceeds the actual content of the message if it's a short reply.

The big question is what are forums for? If they are for the exchange of information and ideas, the banter, the messages... then visual toys and niceties detract from that aim. IMHO the current layout goes a bit too far in the direction of glitz over content.

p.s. Improved 'Search' layout and MUCH better 'Reply' page layout thanks :nice:

Gav
24th-August-2008, 09:30 PM
Frank... lovely new toys... but look at the screen 'real estate'!!!! :banghead: The visual garbage (the novelty very soon wears off) in the user information on the left for a post vastly exceeds the actual content of the message if it's a short reply.

p.s. Improved 'Search' layout and MUCH better 'Reply' page layout thanks :nice:

:yeah:

Lynn
24th-August-2008, 10:02 PM
Also glad the bars have gone. I think the information presented was confusing, and we already have the rep system and number of posts etc. But I guess you have to try these things to see what they look like and what works.

Thanks for all the work on the changes Franck. :hug:

Franck
24th-August-2008, 11:24 PM
Also glad the bars have gone. I think the information presented was confusing, and we already have the rep system and number of posts etc. But I guess you have to try these things to see what they look like and what works. :I agree about keeping things a bit tidier, so I removed the bars on the side of posts. The information is still available if you click on the name of any forum member (including your own). The idea of vBexperience is to paint a more accurate of forum interaction and reward a more holistic use of the forum, beyond the obvious: number of posts, length of time on the forum and reputation...

For example it takes account of referrals (people who quoted you as the person who introduced them to the forum), the number of time someone said 'thank you' by clicking on the new 'thanks' button feature, as well as using all the forum aspects (like uploading photos, posting a blog, etc.).

A forum is not just about the posts and discussions we have, but also how we interact with each other and the relationships that develop virtually to create our community, so rewarding visibly those who make it happen seems like a logical step!

Once again thanks for your patience whilst I try out new things and for the feedback as I continue to experiment with the overall look and features :nice:

Keefy
25th-August-2008, 10:25 AM
I agree about keeping things a bit tidier, so I removed the bars on the side of posts. The information is still available if you click on the name of any forum member (including your own)....

A forum is not just about the posts and discussions we have, but also how we interact with each other and the relationships that develop virtually to create our community, so rewarding visibly those who make it happen seems like a logical step!I agree Franck, and I think you've restored the balance and got it about right again :nice: I'm still exploring some of the new features, looking forward to having a proper play myself when the board I SysAdmin for goes to 3.7.2 :innocent:

Franck
25th-August-2008, 10:58 AM
On the User CP page, the Edit Avatar option has 363 pages and one avatar option per page. That is a lot to get through :banghead:Thanks, I've now fixed that too! :cheers:

DavidY
25th-August-2008, 11:16 AM
On this post (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/chit-chat/16973-i-want-talk-about-lamb-2.html#post494636) it says "the following user says Thanks to SteveK for this useful post:" but there's no user shown. Is this is bug?

Lou
25th-August-2008, 12:27 PM
Is there anyway of stopping my phone automatically selecting the iphone skin? Even if I try to change it on the phone, it doesn't actually display the chosen skin, it just seems to default back. Whilst it's a nice clear skin, it leaves out some info I like to see (like which are the new posts since my last visit, and showing both the originator & last poster of a thread).

I'd love to be able to choose the skin on demand.

It's a N95 & I'm browsing through Opera Mini.

Franck
25th-August-2008, 12:48 PM
On this post (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/chit-chat/16973-i-want-talk-about-lamb-2.html#post494636) it says "the following user says Thanks to SteveK for this useful post:" but there's no user shown. Is this is bug?Hmmm, weird, looks like a bug. I'll investigate further.

Is there anyway of stopping my phone automatically selecting the iphone skin? Even if I try to change it on the phone, it doesn't actually display the chosen skin, it just seems to default back. Whilst it's a nice clear skin, it leaves out some info I like to see (like which are the new posts since my last visit, and showing both the originator & last poster of a thread).

I'd love to be able to choose the skin on demand.

It's a N95 & I'm browsing through Opera Mini.No problem, I have now changed it so you can choose your skin normally.... :nice:

Astro
25th-August-2008, 01:02 PM
Is there a quick way of deleting old PM's without having to do them one by one?:sad:

Martin
25th-August-2008, 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by DavidY
On this post it says "the following user says Thanks to SteveK for this useful post:" but there's no user shown. Is this is bug?

Hmmm, weird, looks like a bug. I'll investigate further.

No bug, I was checking out what that new button did, and then deleted...

Martin

Gojive
25th-August-2008, 04:06 PM
Just noticed another new feature (or has it already been noticed, and I'm just slow? :blush:);

Quoted text now contains a link to the original post - neat! :waycool:

Steven666
25th-August-2008, 06:29 PM
Just noticed another new feature (or has it already been noticed, and I'm just slow? :blush:);

Quoted text now contains a link to the original post - neat! :waycool:

That was always there...

Gojive
25th-August-2008, 07:30 PM
That was always there...

Oops!....:blush: Well it's still useful anyway :waycool:

Gojive
26th-August-2008, 12:04 PM
What's the 'Status' for under the poster's details?....is it new?....how can it be updated?....am I just too slow once more?...:innocent:

Franck
26th-August-2008, 12:05 PM
Another round of fixes and I've implemented a few more features too!

You can now click on your status in the 'welcome' box at the top right of the page to publish what you're up to now (similar to Facebook's feature). This will appear in all your posts in the side panel! You can see my status to the left (currently: Updating Forum software :))

Enjoy,

Lou
26th-August-2008, 12:06 PM
am I just too slow once more?...:innocent:
In this case, I suspect you were a bit too quick off the mark... :)

Gojive
26th-August-2008, 12:07 PM
Flaming heck Franck! Are you watching over my shoulder?:eek::wink:

Franck
26th-August-2008, 12:08 PM
What's the 'Status' for under the poster's details?....is it new?....how can it be updated?....am I just too slow once more?...:innocent:Hey! You beat me to it, so not that slow after all :nice:

See my post above for explanation, and make sure to update your status... :waycool:

Gojive
26th-August-2008, 12:10 PM
In this case, I suspect you were a bit too quick off the mark... :)

LOL! One day I'll get it just about spot on! :D

Gojive
26th-August-2008, 12:12 PM
Hey! You beat me to it, so not that slow after all :nice:

See my post above for explanation, and make sure to update your status... :waycool:

You''re too slow Franck - I'd already read your post...see my post below your post below my post :lol:

Lory
26th-August-2008, 12:16 PM
You can now click on your status in the 'welcome' box at the top right of the page to publish what you're up to now

My curser changes into a weird circle with cross going through it, when I pass over 'My status :No Status' and it wont allow me to click on it :confused::tantrum:

anyway, in case anyone's really interested, I've got a bird dying in the garden at moment, right outside my study door.. so i'm going out, as I don't know what to do and its upsetting me :(

Gojive
26th-August-2008, 12:18 PM
My curser changes into a weird circle with cross going through it, when I pass over 'My status :No Status' and it wont allow me to click on it :confused::tantrum:

Double click it Lory - it should open a text entry box for you to update your status in :)

Dreadful Scathe
26th-August-2008, 12:34 PM
Double click it Lory - it should open a text entry box for you to update your status in :)

so it does...ooh

Steven666
26th-August-2008, 01:42 PM
My status just changed from what I originally typed. Did someone change it?

HelenB
26th-August-2008, 02:34 PM
The new VBexperience tab at the top of the page has pushed the log out button out of view so you need to scroll to log out

I'm using ipod white on IE

Keefy
26th-August-2008, 02:41 PM
The new VBexperience tab at the top of the page has pushed the log out button out of view so you need to scroll to log out. I'm using ipod white on IENot seeing that here on IE6 on a 1024x768, tried it on several layouts and all OK with me. Haven't tried it on IE7 yet.

Keefy
26th-August-2008, 03:21 PM
I think the screen real estate on the standard user info has gone a bit OTT again Franck :rolleyes: Suggestions...

Name, title, avator, join date : OK.
Location : Can you limit the size? Some users scroll onto two lines.
Posts : OK, but how about adding the 'Thanked' count on the same line?
Thanks and Thanked : Do these two lines really add anything? It might be useful to know how often a user has been thanked (see 'Posts' above).
Rep : Shorten the word 'Reputation' to just 'Rep', users with four digit reputations scroll onto two lines.
Stopping the scrolling and compacting the thanks would save up to four lines, I think there's some white space (vB has it all over the place!) just above the rep and report icons.

Keep up the good work, it is very much appreciated.

Jay Jay
26th-August-2008, 03:32 PM
As much as I enjoy being a 'Senior Member' how do I change my title should I wish to do so?

Dreadful Scathe
26th-August-2008, 03:35 PM
As much as I enjoy being a 'Senior Member' how do I change my title should I wish to do so?

you ask Franck nicely :)

Gav
26th-August-2008, 03:42 PM
What happened to the 'number of unread posts' in the top right under the welcome? Mine's just a link to them now.
I liked knowing how many posts there'd been at a glance.

Lynn
26th-August-2008, 03:52 PM
What happened to the 'number of unread posts' in the top right under the welcome? Mine's just a link to them now.
I liked knowing how many posts there'd been at a glance.:yeah:

LemonCake
26th-August-2008, 03:54 PM
I liked knowing how many posts there'd been at a glance.

:yeah: too!

LemonCake
26th-August-2008, 04:16 PM
And just like that, it's back! Thank you!

(although it does tell me I am here far too often when I get the message '1 new post since your last visit' :blush: )

pmjd
26th-August-2008, 04:20 PM
Anyone else still having problems logging into flashchat? Tried but it keeps asking for my name and password, which I duly enter but still not allowed in:confused:

Poi Boi
26th-August-2008, 04:31 PM
Flash Chat has been working fine for me and Crazy Shark. No problems here.

Though atm I can't seem to see the 'who is online' line, or has it just been moved again?

Lory
26th-August-2008, 04:31 PM
Anyone else still having problems logging into flashchat? Tried but it keeps asking for my name and password, which I duly enter but still not allowed in:confused:I've just been in, it seem OK to me, although its a bit lonely in there! :eyebrow:

pmjd
26th-August-2008, 04:40 PM
Though atm I can't seem to see the 'who is online' line, or has it just been moved again?
:yeah:Was at the bottom, then the top, now seems to have disappeared:confused:

I've just been in, it seem OK to me, although its a bit lonely in there! :eyebrow:
Tried again and get the same error as before, incorrect username/password

drathzel
26th-August-2008, 04:45 PM

me too! it just wont let me in :tears:

drathzel
26th-August-2008, 04:48 PM

Lou
26th-August-2008, 05:03 PM
I've just checked & I get the same error.

drathzel
26th-August-2008, 05:10 PM

Jay Jay
26th-August-2008, 05:11 PM
Anyone else still having problems logging into flashchat? Tried but it keeps asking for my name and password, which I duly enter but still not allowed in:confused:

Did get in to the chat rooms straight away when they first appeared ...wasn't even asked for a password etc., although like Lory said it was very lonely :tears:, but now it is not letting me in either :tantrum:

HelenB
26th-August-2008, 05:28 PM
And just like that, it's back! Thank you!

(although it does tell me I am here far too often when I get the message '1 new post since your last visit' :blush: )

:yeah: :clap:

(and :yeah: :rofl:)

Whitebeard
26th-August-2008, 07:33 PM
Did get in to the chat rooms straight away when they first appeared ...wasn't even asked for a password etc., although like Lory said it was very lonely :tears:, but now it is not letting me in either :tantrum:

I still have no problem getting into the Chatroom - but as Lory says its very lonely and echoey in there - and I haven't a clue how it works.

Lou
26th-August-2008, 08:05 PM
I still have no problem getting into the Chatroom - but as Lory says its very lonely and echoey in there - and I haven't a clue how it works.

Dunno if this is significant, Franck, but it seems Silver members are the ones who can't get in - but it's working for Moderators & errrrmmm..... "freeloaders". :wink:

Gav
26th-August-2008, 08:46 PM
I think the screen real estate on the standard user info has gone a bit OTT again Franck :rolleyes: Suggestions...

Name, title, avator, join date : OK.
Location : Can you limit the size? Some users scroll onto two lines.
Posts : OK, but how about adding the 'Thanked' count on the same line?
Thanks and Thanked : Do these two lines really add anything? It might be useful to know how often a user has been thanked (see 'Posts' above).
Rep : Shorten the word 'Reputation' to just 'Rep', users with four digit reputations scroll onto two lines.

Stopping the scrolling and compacting the thanks would save up to four lines, I think there's some white space (vB has it all over the place!) just above the rep and report icons.

Keep up the good work, it is very much appreciated.

What Keefy said again, but this time referring to all the other stuff you've added instead. Too much clutter on the left.

Dreadful Scathe
26th-August-2008, 08:55 PM
hmm not sure the digg-like voting system is good - i just made everyones posts disappear except Lou's :)

perhaps if they only collapse on -5 or below, that would be GREAT :)

JiveLad
26th-August-2008, 09:01 PM
hmm not sure the digg-like voting system is good - i just made everyones posts disappear except Lou's :)

perhaps if they only collapse on -5 or below, that would be GREAT :)

So was it you who made Gav's post disappear??

I think I will give it a thumbs up to reinstate it!

.....yes it is a little trite - I mean what does 'good' mean in this case?

And someone could of course sabotage the whole forum, by going round and giving all the posts a thumbs down.............

...which it seems someone has on this page (not me!)

Keefy
26th-August-2008, 09:54 PM
What Keefy said again, but this time referring to all the other stuff you've added instead. Too much clutter on the left.:banghead: And four more lines of meaningless gumf are added :banghead:

People don't read it Franck, look at how YOU are reading this thread, you will be reading the words, skipping the massive white space, you will NOT be looking at the gumf added on the left. Too much Franck, too much :sick:

Dreadful Scathe
26th-August-2008, 10:01 PM
:banghead: And four more lines of meaningless gumf are added :banghead:

People don't read it Franck, look at how YOU are reading this thread, you will be reading the words, skipping the massive white space, you will NOT be looking at the gumf added on the left. Too much Franck, too much :sick:

no one can read your dubious post - it has been collapsed muhahahahahaha (no one on the forum is clever enough to press "expand"...except Lou)

JiveLad
26th-August-2008, 10:16 PM
ceroc scotland forum 2525

pmjd
26th-August-2008, 10:19 PM
This is now getting very weird, all the posts on just this page are blank, except where a post has been quoted:eyebrow:

Gojive
26th-August-2008, 10:20 PM
ceroc scotland forum 2525
:lol::lol:

Keefy
26th-August-2008, 10:23 PM
ceroc scotland forum 2525Now THAT was funny, sheer brilliance :lol:

Dreadful Scathe
26th-August-2008, 10:47 PM
This is now getting very weird, all the posts on just this page are blank, except where a post has been quoted:eyebrow:

Its the Digg effect - pay attention, you'll figure it out ;)

Beowulf
26th-August-2008, 10:48 PM

Seriously though.. DITTO !

Lynn
26th-August-2008, 11:25 PM
OK - not sure about the thumbs up and down thing. We have rep, we now also have thanks (when are we supposed to use thanks and when use rep?) and now yet another rating system for posts? And it also makes some post 'disappear' and have to be expanded - which adds lots of extra clicks just to read a page of threads. :(

Whitebeard
27th-August-2008, 12:12 AM
Dunno if this is significant, Franck, but it seems Silver members are the ones who can't get in - but it's working for Moderators & errrrmmm..... "freeloaders". :wink:

Should I be offended - nahhh, not a bit of it -I really rather like the idea of being a forum Freeloader. Got a bit of a rogueshly rascally aura about it.

[ Sounds like a nice bit of sleuthing going on here ;-) A bright lady our Lou. ]

Jay Jay
27th-August-2008, 12:40 AM

You're dead right.......initially when I got in to the chat rooms I wasn't 'silvered' yet!

Lynn
27th-August-2008, 08:00 AM
OK - not sure about the thumbs up and down thing. We have rep, we now also have thanks (when are we supposed to use thanks and when use rep?) and now yet another rating system for posts? And it also makes some post 'disappear' and have to be expanded - which adds lots of extra clicks just to read a page of threads. :(I see those are now away now. We do appreciate all the testing of new potential features, need to try them to see if they work.

I think the status comment box may prove to be more useful than extra ways of rating posts - depends on how people use it of course - but it has the potential to add a little bit of easily adjustable info about a user.

*Goes to change status*

Dreadful Scathe
27th-August-2008, 09:02 AM
And it also makes some post 'disappear' and have to be expanded - which adds lots of extra clicks just to read a page of threads. :(

I think the digg-like hiding is a good idea but the value was set too low. I would set each post to have an initial value of 10 and only if 11 people thought it was bad enough would it be hidden when people looked at the page. The same system works on youTube as well of course. I would like to think that our meanderings are of a slightly higher standard (DB excepted) than youTube comments however, and the danger here would be there is not enough BAD stuff being posted and that the thumbs down would be used for trivia.

Mainly by me probably :)

Franck
27th-August-2008, 09:20 AM
I see those are now away now. We do appreciate all the testing of new potential features, need to try them to see if they work.Thanks, and I hope you don't mind my experiments this week, I'm sure I'll get tired of installing new features soon and we'll be able to settle back and enjoy the Forum without wondering what new gizmo is about to appear next.

Once again though, I'm really not trying to clutter the place up, but I have to see the features in place before deciding whether the balance between added value / features and extra space / complexity is tipped the right way.

I think I'll keep the 'Status' option as it is the only thing I like on Facebook and it is nice to have the same function here too.

I would like to think that our meanderings are of a slightly higher standard (DB excepted) than youTube comments however, and the danger here would be there is not enough BAD stuff being posted and that the thumbs down would be used for trivia.Actually, that was my exact thought, when I saw the system in place I realised that there would be very few posts worth hiding as the standard of posting is indeed pretty high! :worthy:

Franck
27th-August-2008, 09:21 AM
You're dead right.......initially when I got in to the chat rooms I wasn't 'silvered' yet!I think I have fixed the Flashchat access now, so you should be able to get in again, and hopefully find more people to talk to this time! :friend:

Keefy
27th-August-2008, 10:05 AM
Thanks, and I hope you don't mind my experiments this weekEnjoying it actually, hope you don't mind the feedback :waycool:

Once again though, I'm really not trying to clutter the place up, but I have to see the features in place before deciding whether the balance between added value / features and extra space / complexity is tipped the right way. I think I'll keep the 'Status' option as it is the only thing I like on Facebook and it is nice to have the same function here too.I think you've got the balance about right again Franck :clap: I like the Status as well, a bit like the MSN status. It's easy to use, if changed often it can give a quick snapshot into what somebody is up to.

bigdjiver
27th-August-2008, 10:28 AM
A few words of wisdom ...

bigdjiver
27th-August-2008, 10:29 AM
A few words of wisdom ...... takes all of this vertical space.

bigdjiver
27th-August-2008, 10:35 AM
It could just be what's said and who said it, and a button to expand o all of the extraneous info and options.

bigdjiver
27th-August-2008, 10:37 AM
It could just be what's said and who said it, and a button to expand o all of the extraneous info and options.but it looks good and is useable just as it is.

Gojive
27th-August-2008, 10:51 AM
It could just be what's said and who said it, and a button to expand o all of the extraneous info and options.

Now that would be a great idea (imho) :clap:

Lou
27th-August-2008, 11:03 AM
but it looks good and is useable just as it is.

:yeah: I like it as it is now. It's a nice balance & breaks up the posts evenly. It also displays nicely on the mobile view on Opera Mini. :wink: I wouldn't want any more, and I like to see the info that's there without having to press any more buttons. (imho, natch!)

Poi Boi
27th-August-2008, 11:12 AM
Ok now I cant get into Flash Chat. It's asking me for my username and password, and I know they are right as I just logged back into the forum.

Odd.

Also, still no 'whos online' section?

Lynn
27th-August-2008, 11:25 AM
I like it as it is now. It's a nice balance & breaks up the posts evenly. :yeah:

Lory
27th-August-2008, 11:34 AM
I'm sure I'll get tired of installing new features soon and we'll be able to settle back and enjoy the Forum without wondering what new gizmo is about to appear next.

NOOOO, I love the constant changes... Its like playing a game of 'spot the difference' every time I log on! :yeah::clap:

Keefy
27th-August-2008, 11:49 AM
NOOOO, I love the constant changes... Its like playing a game of 'spot the difference' every time I log on! That's a good game, is there a prize for working out what Franck's changed? :devil:

Whitebeard
27th-August-2008, 12:00 PM
Ok now I cant get into Flash Chat. It's asking me for my username and password, and I know they are right as I just logged back into the forum.

Odd.

Me too (spoke too soon previously) .

cat
27th-August-2008, 03:26 PM
Any one else had their who's online disapeared? And its not me being thick this time, its not at the bottom or top of the page. I cant log into chat either. Thanks

Dreadful Scathe
27th-August-2008, 03:27 PM
Any one else had their who's online disapeared? And its not me being thick this time, its not at the bottom or top of the page. I cant log into chat either. Thanks

Under QUICK LINKS at the top :)

pmjd
27th-August-2008, 03:46 PM
Under QUICK LINKS at the top :)

Is that not for silver members only? or does it work for registered users now too?

cat
27th-August-2008, 03:46 PM
i might be being thick but i cant see it under my quick links. I can see which of my friends are online but not people in general

cat
27th-August-2008, 03:47 PM
Is that not for silver members only? or does it work for registered users now too?

Im not registered but i could always see who was online; just not where they were on the forum.

pmjd
27th-August-2008, 03:54 PM
Im not registered but i could always see who was online; just not where they were on the forum.

You are a registered user honey, i.e. not paid. Guessing the old who's online feature has been removed as I can't see it anywhere either:confused:

Lou
27th-August-2008, 03:54 PM
That's a good point. I always liked to see the list of who's online on the front page (even though I'm invisible myself!). :D

Dreadful Scathe
27th-August-2008, 03:56 PM
that's a good point. I always liked to see the list of who's online on the front page (even though i'm invisible myself!). :d
who said that ??

Jay Jay
27th-August-2008, 03:59 PM
Thanks, and I hope you don't mind my experiments this week, I'm sure I'll get tired of installing new features soon and we'll be able to settle back and enjoy the Forum without wondering what new gizmo is about to appear next.

I've enjoyed the experiments this week it makes me give a little 'whoop' when I see something new to play with :D

I think I have fixed the Flashchat access now, so you should be able to get in again, and hopefully find more people to talk to this time! :friend:

:clap:Yep getting in no problem, still very lonely in there tho :sad:

Poi Boi
27th-August-2008, 04:13 PM
I like all the new changes, it makes it all shiney and spiffy.

Still can't get into Flash chat though, it seems the permissions have gone from only mods and non silver members to mods and silver members, but no registered users. Is this as intended or just something funny going on?

cat
27th-August-2008, 04:13 PM
Any chance of getting it back Frank? I liked seeing who was online:)

Lou
27th-August-2008, 04:16 PM
who said that ??
An invisigoth! :wink:

Genevieve
27th-August-2008, 04:25 PM
:clap:Yep getting in no problem, still very lonely in there tho :sad:

There was very nearly a party in there this morning....4 of us!! :grin:

Lou
27th-August-2008, 04:38 PM
Any chance of getting it back Frank? I liked seeing who was online:)

It's back! Ta, Franck. :friend:

Jay Jay
27th-August-2008, 04:44 PM
There was very nearly a party in there this morning....4 of us!! :grin:

:what: Damn....doesn't do a lot for my FOMO phobia! (fear of missing out):tantrum:

cat
27th-August-2008, 04:51 PM
Thanks frank. I still cant get into flashchat though, it keeps asking me for passwords. Love the new icons:D

Franck
27th-August-2008, 05:04 PM
Thanks frank. I still cant get into flashchat though, it keeps asking me for passwords. Love the new icons:DNo problem, it gave me the opportunity to fix the layout at the same time.

Still can't get into Flash chat though, it seems the permissions have gone from only mods and non silver members to mods and silver members, but no registered users. Is this as intended or just something funny going on?
As for FlashChat, I'm afraid this is a Silver Members only feature, so hopefully you'll be able to upgrade to Silver Membership (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/payments.php) soon and support the Forum! :flower:

Stuart M
27th-August-2008, 05:15 PM
Franck. Regarding Forum groups:

Messages to these don't seem to appear in New/Recent post searches. Is this possible? Can't see the Groups features being used much otherwise.

Franck
27th-August-2008, 05:42 PM
Franck. Regarding Forum groups:

Messages to these don't seem to appear in New/Recent post searches. Is this possible? Can't see the Groups features being used much otherwise.Yes, that is an issue, I have managed to add the latest posts to the Forum Home Page just now, but I'm not totally happy with it, I'll see if I can add the block to the 'New posts' results page instead.

Genevieve
27th-August-2008, 05:58 PM
:what: Damn....doesn't do a lot for my FOMO phobia! (fear of missing out):tantrum:

yes, you were mentioned ....:whistle:

Northants Girly
27th-August-2008, 06:21 PM
My profile reckons I have used/uploaded or whatever it means over 3000 attachments - that can't be right can it? :what:

David Bailey
27th-August-2008, 07:59 PM
My profile reckons I have used/uploaded or whatever it means over 3000 attachments - that can't be right can it? :what:

No, I think you get points for attachments, lots of them I guess.

No doubt some gee- clever person can work out the formula.

Jay Jay
27th-August-2008, 08:39 PM
yes, you were mentioned ....:whistle:

:eek: Oh no ... it just gets worse. You have to PM me next time you are there so I can join you, if I am not on line I'll give you my number, call me and I will rush home to log on :grin:

Whitebeard
28th-August-2008, 01:41 AM
My email notifications from the forum are arriving in a quite random order datewise and sometimes out of kilter by up to two days.

Additionally some appear to be duplicated, but this may only an impression created by the fact that I've read the thread entries before the email arrives notifying me of those entries. (Can you follow that ?)

Anyone else noticed this problem or should I be blaming my ISP ?

Keefy
28th-August-2008, 07:40 AM
My email notifications from the forum are arriving in a quite random order datewise and sometimes out of kilter by up to two days. Anyone else noticed this problem or should I be blaming my ISP ?We'd need to see the internal email headers, you can tell from there where the delay is.

Whitebeard
29th-August-2008, 12:48 AM
We'd need to see the internal email headers, you can tell from there where the delay is.

Thanks Keefy, it seems to have resolved itself now. It's just that it seemed to coincide with the major playing around with the forum software.

stewart38
29th-August-2008, 12:45 PM
I agree about keeping things a bit tidier, so I removed the bars on the side of posts. The information is still available if you click on the name of any forum member (including your own). The idea of vBexperience is to paint a more accurate of forum interaction and reward a more holistic use of the forum, beyond the obvious: number of posts, length of time on the forum and reputation...

For example it takes account of referrals (people who quoted you as the person who introduced them to the forum), the number of time someone said 'thank you' by clicking on the new 'thanks' button feature, as well as using all the forum aspects (like uploading photos, posting a blog, etc.).

A forum is not just about the posts and discussions we have, but also how we interact with each other and the relationships that develop virtually to create our community, so rewarding visibly those who make it happen seems like a logical step!

Once again thanks for your patience whilst I try out new things and for the feedback as I continue to experiment with the overall look and features :nice:

Still not sure how this works ?

Award points and the level
Level up so many points needed to the next level, is it 500 points a level ?
Activity ,under that there is a ranking shop ?

whats level 55 in old money ? is there a 100 levels ?

Lou
29th-August-2008, 01:07 PM
Yes, that is an issue, I have managed to add the latest posts to the Forum Home Page just now, but I'm not totally happy with it, I'll see if I can add the block to the 'New posts' results page instead.
I see what you mean. The timestamp for the last post isn't displaying correctly at the mo. I've just posted to the Jedi group & it says I did it 3 days ago. Unless it's a timewarp or something.... I wouldn't put it past those Jedi :wink:

bigdjiver
29th-August-2008, 02:42 PM
I see what you mean. The timestamp for the last post isn't displaying correctly at the mo. I've just posted to the Jedi group & it says I did it 3 days ago. Unless it's a timewarp or something.... I wouldn't put it past those Jedi :wink:Actually the forum is moving in the adventure game direction. Cloaks of invisibilty and keys to locked doors for sale, your karma level subject to attack and healing ....

Astro
31st-August-2008, 05:44 PM
Still not sure how this works ?

Award points and the level
Level up so many points needed to the next level, is it 500 points a level ?
Activity ,under that there is a ranking shop ?

whats level 55 in old money ? is there a 100 levels ?

I'm on level 22, wan't that some sort of pop group?

Just googled - it's level 42

How do you delete a post?

David Bailey
1st-September-2008, 01:27 PM
Questions - are "Friends" replacements for "Buddies"? What do friends do? (Yes, yes, I know, enough of the jokes already)

Oh, and has anyone worked out the formula for this ranking thing yet?

Lory
1st-September-2008, 02:41 PM
Oh, and has anyone worked out the formula for this ranking thing yet?

No but who cares?

I'm top at the mo :waycool::D

David Bailey
1st-September-2008, 02:47 PM
No but who cares?

I'm top at the mo :waycool::D

Pah, I've got 2 medals, so :na:

Gav
3rd-September-2008, 09:51 AM
Just looking at the new stats pages and I think I can finally see how it works, however. Is there any way to increase number of people shown per section beyond the top 5?

Lynn
3rd-September-2008, 10:28 AM
Just looked out of curiosity and I see I'm a good bit further down the 'ranks' than I used to be based on either rep points or number of posts. Not that I mind, just noticed! (Also notice some people are fairly far up who haven't posted at all in years!)

bigdjiver
3rd-September-2008, 12:49 PM
Just looked out of curiosity and I see I'm a good bit further down the 'ranks' than I used to be based on either rep points or number of posts. Not that I mind, just noticed! (Also notice some people are fairly far up who haven't posted at all in years!)Its inflation. Modern rep is not what it used to be.

I wonder if I stopped posting for years if it would improve my standing?

The sorting on columns worked in an odd way when I tried it a few days ago. If I had moved to page 2 I had to press the sort on columns button again to get the right results, i.e. the sort setting did not carry over pages.

Keefy
3rd-September-2008, 05:47 PM
How does the 'Status' work? Is it cookie based rather than DB based as I'm sure I set it on my laptop but when I came back here it was gone!

Twirly
3rd-September-2008, 06:03 PM
I'm finding that things are still a little uneven. Am using subtle blue, and the grey bar at the top containing "user cp" to "log out" stretches right across the screen, but everything else only partially stretches across.

Everything from "Abelour" to "view first unread" is set to the left with a white space on the right of the screen (with the grey bar sticking out to the right), then the posts are aligned in the centre of the screen with white spaces on either side. Is this how it's supposed to look?

Looks untidy to me :sick: :tears:

Beowulf
3rd-September-2008, 06:57 PM
I'm finding that things are still a little uneven.

Looks untidy to me :sick: :tears:

Looks fine to me in Metallic Wide !

Keefy
4th-September-2008, 09:06 AM
I've settled on Metalic (Wide) as well :nice:

There's a strange little glitch with the Status display (top right). It works the vast majority of the time but if you hit the search 'No new posts' page then the displayed Status goes blank. Try it :grin:

Gojive
4th-September-2008, 10:05 AM
Another glitch/annoyance (although this was present in the last version - but now seems a god time to raise it :) )...

When quoting a post that has 6 or more smillies in, I can't then include any in my reply :tears:

I get this message:
"You have included 7 images in your message. You are limited to using 6 images so please go back and correct the problem and then continue again.
"

I'm guessing this is an upstairs downstairs issue? - but even so, it would be nice if I could include at least one smiley in my post :sad:

bigdjiver
4th-September-2008, 11:07 AM
Another glitch/annoyance (although this was present in the last version - but now seems a god time to raise it ...

...When quoting a post that has 6 or more smillies in, I can't then include any in my reply ...

... I get this message:
"You have included 7 images in your message. You are limited to using 6 images so please go back and correct the problem and then continue again.
"

I'm guessing this is an upstairs downstairs issue? - but even so, it would be nice if I could include at least one smiley in my post ...:waycool: :D:lol: :rolleyes: :whistle: :cheers:

Gojive
4th-September-2008, 11:10 AM
(6 smillies posted)

This is my only way round it :D

Twirly
4th-September-2008, 12:03 PM
Looks fine to me in Metallic Wide !

Yes, but I don't like the look of that - and it's a bit too obvious that I'm not working when I'm supposed to be too! I want my subtle blue to work properly :(

Gav
4th-September-2008, 01:03 PM
In the iPod white theme, the 'Post Reply' buttons are a nice bright orange :rolleyes: while the rest are the usual blue. :flower:

Keefy
4th-September-2008, 01:39 PM
In the iPod white theme, the 'Post Reply' buttons are a nice bright orange :rolleyes: while the rest are the usual blue. :flower:In Metalic (Wide) we've got oversized and bright orange 'Thanks' buttons :na:

Twirly
4th-September-2008, 02:14 PM
I got a pm just now - turned the normally grey "welcome" box bright green :what:

Little Black Dress
4th-September-2008, 04:30 PM
I'm beginning to really enjoy using the new features :waycool: It makes me feel much more part of things, and connected with others. I'm still a bit freaked out by the "who's been looking at your profile" feature though! I'll wait to see how long it takes for the :stirring: to come and have a nosey again.....:wink:

Lou
5th-September-2008, 11:23 AM
[ Sounds like a nice bit of sleuthing going on here ;-) A bright lady our Lou. ]
Awww.... thanks! :D It's what comes of being a Business Intelligence Analyst for 15-odd years. You get an eye for spotting patterns and trends in data. :nice: Of course, you then need a robust method to ensure you can back-up your findings!

After all, I give DJB enough grief when he posts his spurious statistics! I like to be sure I'm right before I post! :wink:

Double Trouble
5th-September-2008, 12:56 PM
I'm still a bit freaked out by the "who's been looking at your profile" feature though!

Me too...I've noticed quite a few forum names I've never seen before who have checked out my profile.

Bloody stalkers, the lot of you.:wink:

stewart38
5th-September-2008, 02:39 PM
I wish they would get rid of this 'latest posts in group thing' that takes up half the screen

Maxine
7th-September-2008, 10:06 AM
Me too...I've noticed quite a few forum names I've never seen before who have checked out my profile.

Bloody stalkers, the lot of you.:wink:

I go to click on the arrow for the latest quote because I'm too lazy to scroll down a whole page but then get mouse happy and accidently click on the person:doh: Now I'm a stalker, but whislt I'm there might as well look:wink:

DavidY
7th-September-2008, 10:08 AM
I go to click on the arrow for the latest quote because I'm too lazy to scroll down a whole page but then get mouse happy and accidently click on the person:doh: :yeah: I've found myself looking at profiles because of that too.

JiveLad
7th-September-2008, 11:02 AM
:yeah: I've found myself looking at profiles because of that too.

:yeah: This is the one change which is a backwards step. I used to sometimes check out a profile to see where someone was from/located - now I don't bother......it's definitely a negative change if it changes behaviour in this way.

Please could you reconsider this change?

Double Trouble
7th-September-2008, 11:12 AM
I used to sometimes check out a profile to see where someone was from/located - now I don't bother......it's definitely a negative change if it changes behaviour in this way.

Please could you reconsider this change?

I think senior members who have made themselves invisible do not show up when viewing peoples profiles, because I've looked at Gav's loads of times and he says my name doesn't show up on visitors names.

If you want to stalk someone/everyone without looking like a weirdo, you'll have to pay up for silver membership and go invisible.:D

Maxine
8th-September-2008, 01:00 PM
I think senior members who have made themselves invisible do not show up when viewing peoples profiles, because I've looked at Gav's loads of times and he says my name doesn't show up on visitors names.

If you want to stalk someone/everyone without looking like a weirdo, you'll have to pay up for silver membership and go invisible.:D

Ok so i'll have to become a full member just to stop myself being an inadvertent stalker.

Paul F
8th-September-2008, 01:22 PM
Im a little confused as to why we need the 'Friends' option.
Surely people have had enough with Facebook?

Im not against adding friends but when I think that I count so many people on here as my friend it seems pretty pointless why I need to seperate people into Friend/Not Friend(yet) categories.

Given the relatively small amount of people who use this forum and the whole premise of dancing being a social activity can't we just assume that we are all friends?? :wink: (I know, I know - with exceptions)

Of course, if there is a useful feature of building up a friends list that I dont know about then fair enough :nice:

Caro
9th-September-2008, 10:09 AM
I'm with Paul on the friends thing - or have I, too, missed the point ? Is it explained somewhere what it does exactly ?

It seems when you neg rep someone (:innocent: ) their rep count only decreases by one point, not by your rep power - is that on purpose or just a glitch ? + rep seem to work normally.

Also whenever I get a new notification, the background of the square on the top right hand side (the one with the 'welcome... and unread posts, PM, notifications, and new rep link) goes in a funny color that makes it hard to read (both on ceroc orange and subtle blue skins). I soon as I have cleared the notifications, it goes back to normal background.

David Bailey
9th-September-2008, 10:34 AM
I'm with Paul on the friends thing - or have I, too, missed the point ? Is it explained somewhere what it does exactly ?
"Friends" is basically a replacement for the old "buddies" function, apparently. It doesn't do much more; possibly there are plans to enhance this in future releases.

It seems when you neg rep someone (:innocent: ) their rep count only decreases by one point, not by your rep power - is that on purpose or just a glitch ? + rep seem to work normally.
I vaguely recall something like a multiplier - i.e. your neg rep "punch" is half your power? Or something like that... if so, that may explain it.

Or I could be talking rubbish :)

Gojive
9th-September-2008, 03:42 PM

"Friends" is basically a replacement for the old "buddies" function, apparently. It doesn't do much more; possibly there are plans to enhance this in future releases.

A good future enhancement would be an "Imaginery Friends" list...:tears:

[Daisy chain ON](Gojive - a Billy no mates little dancer)[Daisy Chain OFF]

:yum:

Bibi
10th-September-2008, 04:53 PM
I've not read the entire post, so this suggestion, you may have already (or already dismissed)

Editing a post can be done

- by the person submitting post 15 minutes after posting
- by the administrator thereafter

Could the timeframe be extended?

Bibi

ducasi
10th-September-2008, 05:00 PM
Could the timeframe be extended?
Not for me to decide, but why? And to what limit would you propose?

Agente Secreto
10th-September-2008, 05:53 PM

Great advice DT - I've been sensitive to the fact that visiting a profile is recorded for posterity. Us secret agents like to know how to get in and out without being discovered you know:whistle:

David Bailey
11th-September-2008, 09:50 AM
I've just noticed, we can rep people in Outside threads - is this a deliberate change or a bug?

Caro
11th-September-2008, 10:21 AM
I've just noticed, we can rep people in Outside threads - is this a deliberate change or a bug?

I think it's good actually... some avoided neg-rep as soon as threads were sent outside. Now if we think they're rude or inappropriate, we can still use the red button... :whistle:

also there seems to be no limit on how often and how many people you can thank. Not that I mind... :innocent:

Genevieve
11th-September-2008, 11:55 AM
Is there any way that I can permanently expand 'members using flashchat' on the index when I go in?

I thought it used to be there so you could see if anyone was loitering and go and say hello.........

.....obviously I've now spent hours in there lying in wait and nobody has come to speak to me :sniff: :tears:

Double Trouble
11th-September-2008, 07:12 PM
Up until yesterday, I had minus 10,000ish points for infractions. I now have more than double that!:eyebrow:

How is that fair? I haven't had a slapped wrist on here all year so why have I just had silly amounts of points taken off me?:confused:

David Bailey
11th-September-2008, 08:45 PM
Up until yesterday, I had minus 10,000ish points for infractions. I now have more than double that!:eyebrow:

How is that fair? I haven't had a slapped wrist on here all year so why have I just had silly amounts of points taken off me?:confused:

:lol:

These points - you know they're not real, right?

Double Trouble
11th-September-2008, 08:51 PM
:lol:

These points - you know they're not real, right?

Blasphemy...! How can you even joke about it?:eek:

Zebra Woman
17th-September-2008, 05:24 PM
Since the upgrade, well I think it's since then... I haven't been able to use any smilies or do anything other than use plain text. I have tried switching from the standard editor to WYSIWYG, no help. Any ideas? I wanted to post a SP review but without and underlining, bold or smilies it would be horrible to read - so I haven't. ZW

David Bailey
17th-September-2008, 05:44 PM
Since the upgrade, well I think it's since then... I haven't been able to use any smilies or do anything other than use plain text. I have tried switching from the standard editor to WYSIWYG, no help. Any ideas?
Have you tried writing out the smilie codes - does that work? eg. a ";" and ")" together to make ;)

But either way it sounds like a bug.

I wanted to post a SP review but without and underlining, bold or smilies it would be horrible to read
Or, possibly, the best-written post ever.

Zebra Woman
17th-September-2008, 05:58 PM
Ah yes I can do ;) and Bold Underline

I guess I can manage, but yes it is a bug for me.

Is it just me?

Is it 'cos I is stripey? :confused:

David Bailey
17th-September-2008, 07:39 PM
Ah yes I can do ;) and Bold Underline

I guess I can manage, but yes it is a bug for me.
OK, so it's something wrong with the "icon button pressing" bit then. What browser are you using, Internet Explorer? And what version? And what skin type are you using for the forum (e.g. subtle blue, etc.)?

Is it just me?

Is it 'cos I is stripey? :confused:
Nah - it's coz you're not doing Tango, basically. :na:

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
24th-September-2008, 11:33 AM
Nooooooooooooo I just logged on to the new forum and my avatar is gone! :o How can I possibly be little miss without my little miss! :tears:

David Bailey
24th-September-2008, 11:53 AM
Nooooooooooooo I just logged on to the new forum and my avatar is gone! :o How can I possibly be little miss without my little miss! :tears:
Looks like your subscription has run out?

Pay up, you tightwad :na:

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
26th-September-2008, 08:41 PM
Looks like your subscription has run out?

Pay up, you tightwad :na:

Hey hey hey now, i'm a student, I don't have cash for forums!! If I did I would stop taking the bus!! :wink:

Jay Jay
27th-September-2008, 03:13 PM
Where are the updates on the acitivities of the social groups gone from the main page. It was nice to notice if anyone had added to them with out going via your own personal profile. Or am I the only one that is interested :sad:

Maxine
27th-September-2008, 05:05 PM
Where are the updates on the acitivities of the social groups gone from the main page. It was nice to notice if anyone had added to them with out going via your own personal profile. Or am I the only one that is interested :sad:

Is this typical FOMO behaviour???

Jay Jay
27th-September-2008, 08:11 PM
Is this typical FOMO behaviour???

:lol: Hey 'spose it must be :sick:

EricD
29th-September-2008, 01:33 AM
When you go back to edit a post (during the 15 minutes proof-reading time!) does anyone else find it odd to have an 'Edit ' button below the text box where you are already editing ?

A few times, I've been tempted to click it instead of the smaller grey 'Save' button !

We'll get used to it !

JiveLad
30th-September-2008, 06:24 PM
Im a little confused as to why we need the 'Friends' option.
Surely people have had enough with Facebook?

Im not against adding friends but when I think that I count so many people on here as my friend it seems pretty pointless why I need to seperate people into Friend/Not Friend(yet) categories.

Given the relatively small amount of people who use this forum and the whole premise of dancing being a social activity can't we just assume that we are all friends?? :wink: (I know, I know - with exceptions)

Of course, if there is a useful feature of building up a friends list that I dont know about then fair enough :nice:

http://strips.bitstrips.com/ef4711ee1e76091efd2b3655499c5b43.png