PDA

View Full Version : Tango glossary

David Bailey
18th-August-2008, 08:45 AM
So, as a result of a discussion on dance-forums (http://www.dance-forums.com/showthread.php?t=27211), I've been working on an English Tango Glossary.

That is, a glossary where the primary terms are (mostly) in English, rather than in Spanish. My feeling is that this emphasis will help explain the basics to English speakers better.

Anyway, the first attempt is here:
From Modern Jive to Tango - A Plain Glossary (http://www.jivetango.co.uk/Gettingstarted/Glossary.html)

Any comments / suggestions / criticisms?

Also, I was thinking of adding in some MJ terms, but I realised I don't know any :what: - all the terms I could think of were either move names or terms from other dances (e.g. ronde).

I managed to dig up a couple ("lunge" and "aerial"), but can anyone suggest any more?

Mr Darcy
18th-August-2008, 10:08 AM
Hey that's pretty good, I've bookmarked that for future reference (one day I'll hopefully have the time to try and learn a little bit of Tango).

One entry seems very confusing though, 'Exit' - the first steps? Definitely wouldn't have guessed that one!

David Bailey
18th-August-2008, 10:15 AM
One entry seems very confusing though, 'Exit' - the first steps? Definitely wouldn't have guessed that one!
I know, it's a bit weird innit? :confused:

"Salida" comes from "Salir" (to exit), but it refers to a common starting point in the dance. Hmmm, I may want to rethink that, I'm not sure if "Exit" is a good term...

mshedgehog
18th-August-2008, 10:12 PM
I know, it's a bit weird innit? :confused:

"Salida" comes from "Salir" (to exit), but it refers to a common starting point in the dance. Hmmm, I may want to rethink that, I'm not sure if "Exit" is a good term...

"Departure" would still be a reasonable literal translation, and would make more sense. Like a train or a plane. But it still only makes sense if you already realise that it is a progressive dance, and you are departing on a journey round the floor!

But if you're not concerned with teaching people what the Spanish words mean, there's no particular reason not to say "start".

rubyred
18th-August-2008, 10:52 PM
Thank you Mr Bailey and I also found the last glossary of terms you posted very helpful. I was advised by an Argentinian teacher when I went to the festival in Morzine this year to learn Spanish, so am looking out for some night school classes this September. Would like to give it a try, and hope my efforts prove more useful than when I tried to learn Italian a few years ago.:eek:

David Bailey
19th-August-2008, 08:39 AM
"Departure" would still be a reasonable literal translation, and would make more sense. Like a train or a plane. But it still only makes sense if you already realise that it is a progressive dance, and you are departing on a journey round the floor!

But if you're not concerned with teaching people what the Spanish words mean, there's no particular reason not to say "start".

"Departure" sounds good, I've changed it to that - thanks.