PDA

View Full Version : Why did you give up other dances?

ducasi
14th-August-2008, 04:59 PM
It's interesting seeing why people took up WCS (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/land-1000-dances/16912-how-did-you-start-wcs.html), but I thought I'd ask why people gave it up...

Then I thought, I could ask why people gave up other dances styles too.

So... The poll is multiple choice and public. Please tick for any and all dances styles you started to learn, but have since given up.

Caro
14th-August-2008, 05:06 PM
I haven't 'given up' as such any of the dance styles I started, it's more a question of being more interested in another dance and focusing on that instead.

I'd happily dance a rock'n'roll (well, I'll be willing to try a slow one anyway, I've only had a few classes and it was a very long time ago), a salsa, a tango or a MJ if someone wants to lead me into them.
At the moment, I just don't seek tuition in those (or even events) because I am having way too much fun doing WCS.

The only caveat is the music though: I would never take up RnR or Salsa or MJ seriously because I can't stand the music for very long anymore.

geoff332
14th-August-2008, 05:12 PM
I was really at the point where I had to take ballroom seriously and start competing. I didn't really have the time to do that. So I picked up ceroc, which is far less technically challenging, therefore easier to do at my own pace, as time permits.

TA Guy
14th-August-2008, 05:21 PM
Way back I gave both Lindy and Salsa a good three month tryout for each.

Why I decided to chuck them in could be summed up as 'I was still having way more fun at MJ'. I prolly tried those dances at the wrong time, when I was still heavily and enthusiatically into MJ. That said, I have no inclination to give them another go. C'est La Vie.

Keefy
14th-August-2008, 05:49 PM
I had a go at ballroom but gave that up because the local school is dire and it progressed at a snails pace. I'd like to go back to it, it's finding a venue that's the problem.

I did Salsa for about three or four months before I started MJ, but I just couldn't stand the music :what: The final killer for me was a salsa 8 beat remix of Rudolf The Red Nosed Reindeer :eek:

So I've settled on MJ, I love the friendly nature of MJ venues and it's a very flexible form of dance to a wide range of music.

Steven666
14th-August-2008, 06:29 PM
WCS - too lazy to carry on with it and now I've forgotton the very little I once knew. Oh well.

HelenB
14th-August-2008, 06:55 PM
I was really at the point where I had to take ballroom seriously and start competing. I didn't really have the time to do that. So I picked up ceroc, which is far less technically challenging, therefore easier to do at my own pace, as time permits.

:yeah: I moved away from my dance partner and a) found local classes were fixed partner/set course length b) I couldn't commit timewise to compete c) I enjoyed learning competition routines which aren't taught in a group situation d) no one else was in the same situation as me :(

Even tried the local uni classes but they split ballroom and latin on separate nights and most people danced with their regular partner

David Bailey
14th-August-2008, 09:48 PM
I gave up salsa, and (almost) MJ, because I can only really learn one dance at a time.

Stuart
14th-August-2008, 10:13 PM
I gave up Salsa because I didn't really like the Salsa scene. Also I had to miss a couple of lessons and couldn't be bothered going back, even though the venue is about two minutes on foot from my front door.

pmjd
15th-August-2008, 04:26 AM
Never did any proper classes but have tried salsa a couple of times at Southport and somewhere else but just found it to be very dull. Never been inspired to try it again yet.

Did do AT for a wee while but sadly the class in Dundee stopped due to low numbers:( The only other option would have been to travel elsewhere for a regular class but classes were too far away to be affordable at the time to attend on a regular basis. The same for WCS, there was monthly lessons in Dundee for a while but I usually ended up with other things interfering and at the time couldn't afford to travel down to Edinburgh on a regular basis for the nearest classes.

Stuart M
15th-August-2008, 06:36 AM
I gave up salsa because in the case of all three classes I tried, the teaching was badly structured or simply poor.

Gave up tango because there simply wasn't the numbers at the only class I could attend :(

johnnyman
15th-August-2008, 08:07 AM
I look on doing WCS at present as a point of evolving as a dancer.

I have done all kinds of dancing over the last decade. I did linedancing for about three years, but because of other things in my life and doing other dancing I had to stop on a financial basis and concentrate more intently on work for example.

best
johnnyman

Sparkles
15th-August-2008, 11:49 AM
The main reason I gave up ballroom dancing was because I didn't like the teaching style. Being shouted at for having my head a fraction of a degree in the wrong direction in my free time was not my idea of fun!

Andy McGregor
15th-August-2008, 12:06 PM
The main reason I gave up ballroom dancing was because I didn't like the teaching style. Being shouted at for having my head a fraction of a degree in the wrong direction in my free time was not my idea of fun!CHIN UP!

Daisy Chain
15th-August-2008, 12:16 PM
...because Ceroc is much more fun - all play and no work if you are a follower (and you can get through tens of men in a single night)

Daisy

(A Promiscuous Little Flower)

Brian Doolan
15th-August-2008, 02:51 PM
CHIN UP!

Chest OUT and straighten your back!!
Been there, done it, never again!

I gave up Linedance after about 5/6 years 'cause it became same ol' same ol' (you can only do so many grapevines, kick-ball-changes/steps, cross-unwinds and apple jacks) and after about 4/5 years of Ceroc I've stopped going to classes for the same reason, although I still go to and enjoy, Ceroc party nights. All my classes now (2 per week) are WCS and as said by many folk on the Forum, the music's great, from old blues right up to contemporary R&B.
I think the Ceroc organisers need to give serious consideration to incorporating WCS into Ceroc classes and events so as to bring back some of the wanderers, Billy Cullen's doing it with Swingtastic in October.

Cue Franck to 'phone Lisa :D:D

Martin
15th-August-2008, 04:00 PM
Having done most partner dances, I normally go for the social side.... So whatever is local and social.

Most partner dances I no longer do lessons in, as I am happy with what I do, I might not be a hotshot, but I can enjoy a dance or two.

So it is not so much "giving up other dances" more the case of "what is local and what is social".

Only 2 exceptions, Lindy, coz I do not like the style (reminds me of a bunch of clowns in a circus) and Salsa, coz the music seems to be the same track all night.

Lynn
15th-August-2008, 04:43 PM
Started salsa and MJ at the same time - gave salsa a run of about 3-4 months then stopped due to lack of decent venues to dance socially, and not that fussed on the music.

Tango - have stopped due to shortage of male dancers and petty attitudes of some of the female dancers. :( No point in paying to go along for 2 hours and practice for about 20 mins in total.

WCS - no classes locally so normally only get to go to classes about once every few months (ie weekenders). Not 'given up' as such as usually have 1-2 WCS dances each week, but not learning or progressing.

jivecat
15th-August-2008, 08:12 PM
Tango - have stopped due to shortage of male dancers and petty attitudes of some of the female dancers. :( No point in paying to go along for 2 hours and practice for about 20 mins in total.

This is pretty much why I haven't persisted with WCS, (apart from the attitudes bit) there just wasn't a high enough fun:effort/money ratio. I found the classes hard work both socially and dance-wise.

Lindy - did classes for a few months ages ago but found it hard and all that kicky jumpy stuff isn't really my thing. I learnt a lot of useful stuff during that time, though, which helped my MJ along.

I tried to learn salsa about 15 years ago but every class I went to was hopeless - no men, poor teaching. I've recently taken it up again and found the scene totally changed - there are now loads of good classes and events in & around Leicester which makes it a better choice for me now as I don't really want to drive far to dance any more.

Belly dancing - just can't remember why I gave that up. Wouldn't mind taking it up again, just for the dressing up opportunities. Also men are not required.:wink:

Whitebeard
16th-August-2008, 02:50 AM
Belly dancing - just can't remember why I gave that up. Wouldn't mind taking it up again, just for the dressing up opportunities. Also men are not required.:wink:

Only to ogle !!!

Astro
16th-August-2008, 11:08 AM

Belly Dancing is the oldest recorded dance.

All movements start from the belly and move out to the rest of the body.

rubyred
18th-August-2008, 05:03 PM
I haven't 'given up' as such any of the dance styles I started, it's more a question of being more interested in another dance and focusing on that instead.

That the same for me really. I was pulled up by an AT teacher a few weeks ago who said that I probably made a good ballroom dancer, she didn't add 'but a terrible tango dancer' [ I think she may have just stopped herself ha],but I made a decision not to concentrate on that style of dancing for a while so I can to grips more with the tango.

I still enjoy doing salsa occassionally, I too find the music drives me a bit mad after a while. I will always enjoy MJ but again like to do other dancing as well. It is nice to have a few things to choose from, and dip into from time to time.:flower:

jivecat
24th-August-2008, 11:42 AM
Belly Dancing is the oldest recorded dance.

All movements start from the belly and move out to the rest of the body.

I think they've dug up ancient goddess statuettes from the near East that they reckon show belly dance postures.

I wonder what Modern Jive artefacts they'll be digging up in 5008? Will there be fragments of tarnished sequins in the British Museum? Imprints of shadowy rusted-orange star symbols believed to represent primitive fertility rituals of the Mesoplastic Era?

Whitebeard, men can do belly-dance as well, you know. If you want to ogle you'd be best off taking a look at Sadie, here. http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YamDoDK71Ds

Whitebeard
24th-August-2008, 01:59 PM
Whitebeard, men can do belly-dance as well, you know. If you want to ogle you'd be best off taking a look at Sadie, here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YamDoDK71Ds

Ooh, my my, me eyes're ogled out on stoppers ;-)

The link didn't work but I soon saw why and edited it.

Men belly dance ? Most can't even do a half decent 'wiggle'.

That's one area where I think I'm a bit better than average.