PDA

View Full Version : How did you start WCS ?

Caro
14th-August-2008, 12:52 PM
Poll's self explanatory enough. I'd like to understand how people first heard about WCS and what made them want to try it.

I'll post my own start into the WCS journey later on (work calling!). :na:

ducasi
14th-August-2008, 01:19 PM
I can think of a couple of other options for the poll...

* I wanted a way to avoid the bad dancers at MJ freestyles
* I wanted to get a dance with the folks who only do WCS now

:wink:

Caro
14th-August-2008, 01:37 PM
I can think of a couple of other options for the poll...

* I wanted a way to avoid the bad dancers at MJ freestyles
* I wanted to get a dance with the folks who only do WCS now

:wink:

Agreed, with the following rephrasing on the first one! :
*It seems all the better dancers had moved on to WCS and I wanted to join them :wink:

thanks Ducasi :flower:

Double Trouble
14th-August-2008, 01:39 PM
I've voted a friend took me along, but there are ather reasons why I started (I know that's not strictly the question)

1. The Music
2. Needed a new challenge (would have been just as happy to try Lindy Hop, but Sis does WCS and wanted to go somewhere with her)
3. Trying to be more active

Caro
14th-August-2008, 01:41 PM
I've voted a friend took me along, but there are ather reasons why I started (I know that's not strictly the question)

1. The Music
2. Needed a new challenge (would have been just as happy to try Lindy Hop, but Sis does WCS and wanted to go somewhere with her)
3. Trying to be more active

Yes those are all reasons why you'd want to do it, but I'm after something more specific here: what was the first encounter with WCS that made you want to do it ?

For example, if you wouldn't know what WCS music was before knowing what WCS was.

I've singled out R&D, K&S and J&T amongst the pros as those where the first pros coming over to this country (brought by the MJ scene anyway), well if I have my history right. If people are aware of other pros that came over in the early days of WCS in this country and who might have had a significant influence in the development of the UK scene, please let me know :flower:

fletch
14th-August-2008, 01:45 PM
I ask any one to dance, and try and follow the best I can, if they are doing lindy, salsa, whatever it is i'll have a go including strange quirky kind of moves,:waycool: so if a guy dances WCS and does the moves I will have a go. :cheers:

One of the things I hate is when you ask a guy to dance and he say.....do you WCS? :mad:

you have to say yes or No why???? just get on with it if I can't do what you want me to do adapt it if you that good.:na:

Caro
14th-August-2008, 01:56 PM
So, to answer my own question.

Just over 2 years ago I was browsing the web for dance clip and came across a website full of lindy videos with crazy aerials. One of the clips linked to a youtube performance of a sassy little blonde and her tall dark-haired partner dancing at 'swing diego'. I had a jaw dropping moment like I've had very few in my life - this felt like everything I wanted from dancing. I had no idea who they were or what they were doing, but I watched it again and again and again and thought: I want to do this.

You've guessed it was J&T dancing their Seal routine. :worthy:
From the comments on youtube I found out who they were, and went on their website. There I learnt it was west coast swing and that they were coming to France in the summer for a dance camp (I couldn't believe such luck!!!).
It took me a few months to go to my first class (Graham Fox at the BFG in Glasgow - my first dancing trip outside of my local venue!), then I did another class a month or so later in London (Cat's at Twick - Sheepman took me along :flower:) and then it was Sea Sun and Swing in France where I really started (and had my first private, as a complete beginner almost).
I'll pass on the absence of classes in Aberdeen and how little I managed to dance for the first year and a half... now I live in London(ish) and dance (wcs) at least twice a week. :D

I think I'm in long lasting love :awe:

DavidB
14th-August-2008, 01:58 PM
If people are aware of other pros that came over in the early days of WCS in this country and who might have had a significant influence in the development of the UK scene, please let me know :flower:The first WCS teacher to come over was Buddy Schwimmer in the early '80s.
Several people at Imperial College in London learned WCS from a US exchange student in the late '80s. You could also get lessons from a handful of ballroom teachers - Glenn Wright, Corky Ballas and Michael Chapman all did a bit of WCS.
Robert & Deborah first came over in the mid '90s, as did Michelle Kinkaid and Gary Jobst.

Caro
14th-August-2008, 02:00 PM
I ask any one to dance, and try and follow the best I can, if they are doing lindy, salsa, whatever it is i'll have a go including strange quirky kind of moves,:waycool: so if a guy dances WCS and does the moves I will have a go. :cheers:

so, you don't really do wcs per se: you follow whatever is led.

I'm aware that not everybody will have had that 'jaw dropping moment' I describe that makes you have to do it, by whatever way is accessible to you.

Caro
14th-August-2008, 02:04 PM
The first WCS teacher to come over was Buddy Schwimmer in the early '80s.
Several people at Imperial College in London learned WCS from a US exchange student in the late '80s. You could also get lessons from a handful of ballroom teachers - Glenn Wright, Corky Ballas and Michael Chapman all did a bit of WCS.
Robert & Deborah first came over in the early '90s, as did Michelle Kinkaid and Gary Jobst.

ha thanks for that David :flower:- I only had the bits that aforementioned pros had told me.

Could a moderator please add the following options:
- I saw a performance / was introduced to wcs by Buddy Schwimmer
- I saw a performance / was introduced to wcs by ballroom teachers G. Wright, C. Dallas, M. Chapman
- I saw a performance / was introduced to wcs by Michelle Kinkaid and Gary Jobst.

boardrider
14th-August-2008, 02:15 PM
Southport somewhere; probably the Blues room. Group of dancers doing similar stuff all hit a break in unison. I was intrigued.

I asked a friend amongst the group what it was, and next thing I know she dragged me to a class to have my brain fried.

tsh
14th-August-2008, 02:26 PM
I'd seen a few people dance WCS at freestyles, and done a couple of classes at Southport, but it was the absence of any local MJ classes that worked for me that prompted me to start going to regular classes. I guess it was a workshop that Cat did which finally convinced me that it's a dance that might work for me.
If anything, the choreography of any of the pro WCS I saw put me off, after spending a long time failing to learn to dance Lindy socially I wasn't looking for another dance where only flash moves are taught in classes where the majority don't understand the basics.

Brian Doolan
14th-August-2008, 02:48 PM
Yes those are all reasons why you'd want to do it, but I'm after something more specific here: what was the first encounter with WCS that made you want to do it ?

For example, if you wouldn't know what WCS music was before knowing what WCS was.

I've singled out R&D, K&S and J&T amongst the pros as those where the first pros coming over to this country (brought by the MJ scene anyway), well if I have my history right. If people are aware of other pros that came over in the early days of WCS in this country and who might have had a significant influence in the development of the UK scene, please let me know :flower:

R&D, K&S and J&T, bit of name dropping here? :innocent:

I saw WCS being danced at linedance events (James McLaughlan/ Cristina Devine) around 7/8 years ago. It was frowned upon by the organisers but I thought "Wow! I wouldn't mind a shot of that" Ceroc came first, about 5/6 years ago followed by classes with James (oowoo, name dropping) about 3 years ago but he stopped, due to low numbers at the classes I think. I now do 2 WCS classes a week (Swingtastic, Tues night, JM Wed night) and 1 or 2 workshops a month.
I'm slowly improving, I think.

johnnyman
14th-August-2008, 03:14 PM
It started for me at Rebel Yell when I saw Jordan and Tatiana for the first time both teaching and in cabaret in 2003. The cabaret was one of those moments you think 'that was cool - how can I learn that!!!':waycool:

A year later, I was invited to spend a weekend in Doncaster with a friend who showed me my first US Open DVD - the clip of Terry and Beata is now part of the You Tube thread on this section, but I saw the full 45 minutes worth including the likes of Kyle, Sarah, Parker, Brandi and so on. I got my own copy and religiously watch the tape often, even last night.

In 2004, I began WCS with Cat @ Ealing and when she was down in Hammersmith, in 2005, I had my first ever private with Deborah.

best
johnnyman

fletch
14th-August-2008, 04:15 PM
so, you don't really do wcs per se: you follow whatever is led.

I'm aware that not everybody will have had that 'jaw dropping moment' I describe that makes you have to do it, by whatever way is accessible to you.

you would need to ask the people that are leading me what they believe they are doing not me, I don't feel the need to fit in one box

:flower:

David Franklin
14th-August-2008, 04:26 PM
Geek that I am, it was following dance discussions on rec.arts.dance (which were very WCS centric) that got me interested in WCS - at least interested enough to want to see it when I got the chance.

I definitely remember going to a workshop by Michelle Kinkaid quite a lot of years ago (though it would have been later than the mid 90's visit DavidB describes). I'm pretty sure that was largely inspired by those Usenet discussions as I can't think where I'd have seen any WCS footage back then.

I must confess, my abiding memory of Michelle Kinkaid's class was her giving me a hard time about my left hand grip. Given I had broken a finger and the hand was thickly bandaged, I felt she might have cut me a little slack. :sad:

Caro
14th-August-2008, 04:30 PM
Southport somewhere; probably the Blues room. Group of dancers doing similar stuff all hit a break in unison. I was intrigued.

so really it's the 'I saw people dancing WCS at a venue' option for you - that's your first encounter with the dance and the one which made you want to find out more.

thanks for sharing :flower:

Cruella
14th-August-2008, 04:40 PM
I first saw WCS aroiund 1998 (I think) but I didn't know that was what it was. I was attending Adam Nathanson's class in Chelmsford and he had an American couple there, doing some cabarets. I remember being Wowed by the perfection in their timing and her amazng spinning! I had only just started MJ and as I had never danced before, I was unaware that it was even a different type of dance. :blush: It wasn't until years later, when I actually discovered WCS for myself and heard about Robert Cordoba and Deborah, that I realised they were the same couple I had on video from that night!

In 2005 (again, I think!) I Saw Paul Warden and Jodie dancing together at Rebel Yell and was mesmerised. I went up to him and asked what it was they were dancing and he said WCS, then showed be the basic footwork. I was with Paul Harris at the time and we both said, 'I must learn that!'
Paul kept it up, I didn't, obviously. :rolleyes:

robd
14th-August-2008, 05:01 PM
For me, it was seeing Caro dance WCS.

Paul kept it up, I didn't, obviously. :rolleyes:

Obviously. Hence the NMN moniker. :D

Minnie M
14th-August-2008, 05:17 PM
The first WCS teacher to come over was Buddy Schwimmer in the early '80s.
Robert & Deborah first came over in the mid '90s, as did Michelle Kinkaid and Gary Jobst.

:respect:

My first exposure was from an Algerian chap called Hakim who danced with a fellow American called Esther and an English lady called Maggie Casey. Shortly after that Maggie (an Air Hostest) brought Robert Cordoba over here (see above) and cemented my desire to learn and dance WCS.

The story goes on, but I won't bore you with it :blush:

BTW Michelle Kinkaid is an amazing WCS teacher, I first met Paul Warden in one of her classes.

TA Guy
14th-August-2008, 05:32 PM
I'd been wanting to try it for a while, since Le Jive brought some WCS couple down this way for a caberet over a decade ago. Can't even remember there names, they weren't US pros or anything, but I remember thinking "how cool is that" :)

Then I just really sorta forgot about it till saw it again on Youtube. Can't remember how I was directed to the clip, it wasn't from this forum, but it introduced Jordan and Tatiana. That kinda rekindled the urge to give it a go :)

Unfort, like many, actual options to learn and dance it were restricted to weekenders and the odd long trek. So I had a very, very, verrrrrrryyyyyyyy long beginner phase :) Some might say it's still going on :)

HelenB
14th-August-2008, 06:43 PM
Really interesting to think back to how I got hooked.

First weekender Breeze at Brean Sands 2006 - took the classes Paul Harris was teaching probably due to a combination of a recommendation of learning WCS from Randall (who was our random chalet sharer) and RobD introducing me to the "blues room"

Didn't really follow it up but did get people asking me if I did WCS (when I didn't) at various freestyles. I learnt MJ slotted and tended to put in footwork/syncopations so it was a natural progression

Did a few more workshops at weekenders before local classes started nearby in Northampton

Things have got in the way of that though I still attend the odd workshop and private lesson :D (though not as regularly as I'd like)

robd
14th-August-2008, 07:42 PM
OK, proper answer now :rolleyes:

Ignoring the fact that the thread title is HOW but the poll options are WHY I think my first interest in WCS was at Camber Nov 2005 seeing Paul Warden warming up for his class dancing with someone - he stood out a mile on the dancefloor. From there I guess it was osmosis seeing people dancing it at various events I attended and the obligatory You Tube addiction and I took 3 or 4 beginner's workshops towards the end of 2006. Southport in Feb 2007 was the real turning point that made me want to learn it properly - following that I gave up monthly Jango workshops and started attending Bisley instead (invariably the two clashed)

Caro
14th-August-2008, 08:39 PM
For me, it was seeing Caro dance WCS.

Not surprising. You wouldn't belieeeeve the number of people who think I'm Tat.

OK, proper answer now :rolleyes:

What do you mean ? :what:

Ignoring the fact that the thread title is HOW but the poll options are WHY

Careful or you'll beat Andy McG for the pedant award.

It's my poll, and thinking about it, it's neither a HOW or a WHY, it's a WHAT. :na:

robd
14th-August-2008, 09:23 PM
Not surprising. You wouldn't belieeeeve the number of people who think I'm Tat.

LOL

English slang not your strong point is it?

Tat, a term, found particularly in England, referring to anything which appears shabby, cheap, and tasteless. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TAT)

NZ Monkey
14th-August-2008, 09:44 PM
I saw a video of what I think was a Rebel Yell event where Robert and Deborah were giving a freestyle demonstration. It was to "Sometimes" by B-Tribe.

I remember thinking that I wanted to be able to dance like that, but there were no classes in Auckland. When I moved to the UK I looked up classes, and the rest is history.

Rhythm King
15th-August-2008, 09:00 AM
I was vaguely aware of WCS as one of the family of swing dances, but hadn't seen it live. I mostly danced MJ and Lindy hop and taken some Dean Collins-style workshops, I also did some Cuban salsa (claim hotshot points for learning properly, on 2 :D ). Anyway...

I was dancing at Hipsters when three people came, that I hadn't seen before. They stood on the edge of the floor near the door for a while, then John Brett put on something a little slower. When two of them started dancing, I just stopped to watch - and immediately joined the dropped jaw, OMG, I wanna dance like that brigade. It was Paul Warden, his dance partner Penny and some girl who'd just come back from the States, called Cat...

Not long after, DavidB and Lily started teaching WCS downstairs at Hipsters, replacing the previous Lindy class. Robert Cordoba came over with Steve Neeren to do some workshops in Richmond and then J&T came to the Rebel Yell - wow!

Unfortunately my job and my health have conspired to stop me getting to regular classes for the last year or two, so I've mostly been dancing at workshops and weekenders, where possible and I don't feel I'm dancing anywhere near as good as I'd like. I still remain positively evangelical about the dance though :waycool:

Sparkles
15th-August-2008, 11:56 AM
I was encouraged to start WCS by Sheepman, who very patiently taught me some of the beginners moves at the very first BFG (if my memory serves me correctly).
After that I went to Bisley on a Friday night (one heck of a drive for me) and on my very first night danced with Paul Warden (he asked me, and thankfully took it very easy on me knowing that it was my first class).
What can I say but, like so many people, seeing Paul in his element on the dancefloor certainly helped to get me hooked.

The problem was that back then there were hardly and freestyle events, and there were so few people doing WCS that it was hard to improve and to get to classes meant a horrendus drive through London traffic every Friday night. needless to say i slipped out of it after about a year.

WCS has become a bit of a love/hate thing with me, but I think I'm liking it a little more in recently. I think knowing you'll never be really good at something can put you off trying, but the motivation is in me somewhere and when it comes out i will put some effort back in to WCS.

Martin
15th-August-2008, 03:27 PM
Saw it being freestyle danced, at a tea dance in Dorking in 1994. So I had a go.

So I ticked the "my venue" option, but really, more like "a venue", as I was dancing at a lot of venues in 1994.

Minnie M
16th-August-2008, 12:05 AM
Saw it being freestyle danced, at a tea dance in Dorking in 1994. So I had a go............

Sutton actually (still Surrey) - and that was Hakim & Partner (see my post above) It was the first time I saw it too.

All the Westies at that time went to John Vassallo's Tea Dances, Hakim did a lesson beforehand to get us in the mood. David & Lily used to go there too :respect: their West Coast Swing was a joy to watch (still is)

sway
16th-August-2008, 12:18 AM
well went straight in to a advanced whips class at breeze 2007 so funny had a laugh doing it but got it as fixed with my local teacher,

then everybody else just been showing me what to do ahd a lot of help from a few people like martin harper and gerry wobley dave thanks and local teacher alex and demo phil of which i am very gratefull for all the help and feel a bit more happier when dancing it now

but only ever done 3 classes

Caro
16th-August-2008, 02:50 AM
LOL

English slang not your strong point is it?

Tat, a term, found particularly in England, referring to anything which appears shabby, cheap, and tasteless. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TAT)

Duh.
:rolleyes: Has irony not reached Cambridge then ?

Martin
16th-August-2008, 02:59 AM
Duh.
:rolleyes: Has irony not reached Cambridge then ?

Maybe not... hence all those students running around in crumpled T-Shirts :na:

Martin
16th-August-2008, 03:05 AM
Sutton actually (still Surrey) - and that was Hakim & Partner (see my post above) It was the first time I saw it too.

...John Vassallo's Tea Dances...

:yeah: You have a better memory than me for names and places.

I knew it was up the road, turn left, turn right... enjoy John's great music and have a chilled afternoon.

Minnie M
16th-August-2008, 11:47 AM
:yeah: You have a better memory than me for names and places.

I knew it was up the road, turn left, turn right... enjoy John's great music and have a chilled afternoon.

Directions are correct M23 - M25 turn left J8 (I think) turn right to Sutton :clap:

John has started his Tea Dances again, this time in Kingston - not the same though :sad: those were the days.......................

I think his tea dances where the very first venue that WCS was danced in the UK socially and with lovely chilled out music to match.

It is where I met West Coast Angie too

fletch
17th-August-2008, 11:47 PM
well went straight in to a advanced whips class at breeze 2007 so funny had a laugh doing it but got it as fixed with my local teacher,

then everybody else just been showing me what to do ahd a lot of help from a few people like martin harper and gerry wobley dave thanks and local teacher alex and demo phil of which i am very gratefull for all the help and feel a bit more happier when dancing it now

but only ever done 3 classes

your fab hun, and I loved dancing with last night, respect 3 classes. :clap:

Rhythm King
18th-August-2008, 12:39 AM
It was Paul Warden, his dance partner Penny and some girl who'd just come back from the States, called Cat...

:eek: What? I was obviously still asleep when I wrote that - I meant Sally - who is of course now Mrs Penny! Profuse apologies, I wasn't trying the American thing of using surnames :blush:

Lynn
18th-August-2008, 09:32 AM
David & Lily used to go there too :respect: their West Coast Swing was a joy to watch (still is)First time I remember doing WCS was a class taught by David and Lily at Southport. I did a lot of those 'intro to WCS classes' at various weekenders with different teachers over a few years but never got any further than that as there were big gaps of months in between them and I never got the chance to practice. I did make the effort to ask lots of WCS leads one SP and that helped me learn how to follow it, I have a WCS practice partner and he and I usually have at least one WCS dance a week at Ceroc, but we mostly dance for fun, not precision.

I do still try to make progress but I think too many errors have crept into my WCS over the years so its a fun social dance for me rather than something I'm determined to 'get right'. I think things would be different if I had a regular venue.

Interesting that if WCS does develop in Ireland it looks like it will be drawn from the country and swing areas, not from MJ, as they are the people organising any WCS workshops/dances. (So far this year a swing organised one which I couldn't get to and country organised one which is the same weekend as SP!)

Limpy Tink
18th-August-2008, 02:08 PM
Can a kind moderator please add - "inspired by Paul Warden" to the poll please, as I'm not very good at multi quoting!!

Paul freesyles with so many people, he is a fantastic advert for WCS! His passion for the dance shows and (although he is often never allowed the luxury of getting off the floor :() he makes everyone feel great about their dance. Regardless of their level, he will adjust to where you are and if he knows you better, he will push you outside your comfort zone, to get you to extend your limitations... ultimate :respect:

Having been dancing ceroc for almost 2 years, I went along to a freestyle at the HG Wells Centre in Woking, where I stumbled upon Paul Warden freestyling with Sally Penny - it was stunning and I was hooked :drool:

I had no idea what it was, but it was smooth and fluid, yet punctuated and they were dancing to the kind of music I like - music that you can "feel" - but they were doing "stuff" that just left me captivated! Later that evening, I saw the cabaret, which just so happened to be Kyle & Sarah and I spent most of my evening just watching and enjoying.

I found out it was called west coast swing and, (too scared to go by myself!) Silverfox & I arranged to attempt Paul & Sally's class in Surbiton. To my horror, SF was held up in traffic (Hmm! :whistle:) and I was faced with walking in and attempting it on my own - or running away and hiding! But it was too late... John and Angie spotted me and persuaded me to come in (with open arms!) so I forced myself to take that first (and very wobbly) tripple step...

After 2 weeks this class closed, (as the numbers were too low :sad:) but Annalisa (ceroc Surrey) continued to try and raise interest by moving the class to Esher for a while. I decided to stick with it and found out about about Bisely, Cats class and Southport - and thank goodness for you tube!!

The rest is history :D

Vegetable
18th-August-2008, 02:28 PM
More to the point why would u start WCS ewwwww :eek:

Haha :awe:

Simon
18th-August-2008, 09:44 PM
Can a kind moderator please add - "inspired by Paul Warden":yeah: Saw Paul and Sally at a Rock Bottoms weekender (3 years ago?). It was a dance changing event! :worthy:

Limpy Tink
19th-August-2008, 04:28 PM
:yeah: Saw Paul and Sally at a Rock Bottoms weekender (3 years ago?). It was a dance changing event! :worthy:

Am with you there hun :worthy:

Minnie M
19th-August-2008, 05:03 PM
:yeah: Saw Paul and Sally ............

Sally is an amazing natural dancer, a joy to watch and such a lovely friendly girl - now I love seeing photos of her with her beautiful daughter Fearne on facebook :flower:

Lory
19th-August-2008, 05:23 PM
:yeah: Saw Paul and Sally at a Rock Bottoms weekender
Yes, come to think of it, my first experience of watching WCS done socially, was at one of the Camber weekends, probably 3ish years ago and was Paul and Sally. I couldn't take my eyes off of them! :worthy:

Lory
19th-August-2008, 05:25 PM
I've added Paul and Sally to the poll!

Chicklet
19th-August-2008, 05:28 PM
Can't remember my first sight of WCS but I do remember my first ever class was with David and Lily at Camber many moons ago, the number of ladies over must have been an exact division of the number of leaders as I danced with Minnie many times, many many times. She was very patient with me cos I really don't think I got the footwork right until maybe once at the very end.:blush:

Minnie M
19th-August-2008, 06:40 PM
Can't remember my first sight of WCS but I do remember my first ever class was with David and Lily at Camber many moons ago, the number of ladies over must have been an exact division of the number of leaders as I danced with Minnie many times, many many times. She was very patient with me cos I really don't think I got the footwork right until maybe once at the very end.:blush:

ahhhh yes I remember it well :hug:

There was always soooooo many ladies over I become really good leading the 6 basic moves

Top Bird
20th-August-2008, 01:11 PM
First saw it at Woking when Robert and Deborah did a demo and thought it was amazing but didn't have the opportunity to try it until Southport, it was when Robert & Deborah were there. But as there was nothing around locally, it was the next Southport weekend before I tried it. Just fell in love with the style, the music and it was a new challenge after doing Ceroc for the past 14 years.

Totally hooked and now go Monday to Oakwood, Wednesday Twickenham, Thursday and Sunday to Petts Wood. Trying to do as many workshops as possible to improve and am going to Swing Niagara in September - can't wait.:grin:

Reet Petite
21st-August-2008, 07:11 PM
First saw it at Woking when Robert and Deborah did a demo and thought it was amazing but didn't have the opportunity to try it until Southport, it was when Robert & Deborah were there. But as there was nothing around locally, it was the next Southport weekend before I tried it. Just fell in love with the style, the music and it was a new challenge after doing Ceroc for the past 14 years.

Totally hooked and now go Monday to Oakwood, Wednesday Twickenham, Thursday and Sunday to Petts Wood. Trying to do as many workshops as possible to improve and am going to Swing Niagara in September - can't wait.:grin:

So are you going to compete in Niagara after all this ? :wink: If you sign up I will too :scared: Mxx

Lynn
29th-August-2008, 04:18 PM
Interesting that if WCS does develop in Ireland it looks like it will be drawn from the country and swing areas, not from MJ, as they are the people organising any WCS workshops/dances. (So far this year a swing organised one which I couldn't get to and country organised one which is the same weekend as SP!)I should have said salsa as well... (though the organiser also runs swing events as well as salsa.)

Just found out there will be a WCS class next weekend in Belfast as part of a salsa party night. Not sure who the teacher is or how much WCS experience he has - but its a WCS class and its 10 mins away from my house.:nice: And it might start to get people interested in WCS. :D

Brian Doolan
29th-August-2008, 10:12 PM
I was at James McLaughlan's WCS class on Wednesday night in East Kilbride and it was lovely to see so many Ceroc faces I haven't seen for ages, all ladies, so come on lads it's not just the ladies who can dance WCS, we lads can do it just as well :whistle:, and there's nowhere else worth going to for WCS on a Wednesday night in Glasgow is there?

frodo
29th-August-2008, 10:53 PM
I was at James McLaughlan's WCS class on Wednesday night in East Kilbride and it was lovely to see so many Ceroc faces I haven't seen for ages, all ladies, so come on lads it's not just the ladies who can dance WCS, we lads can do it just as well :whistle:...
Can and want to are entirely separate concepts.

Some teachers are just attractive to the ladies, and the dance does offer quite a lot for ladies specifically to like, relative to Modern Jive.

On topic, because there was a class where I happened to be, which was the most attractive option at the time.