PDA

View Full Version : Bisley - West Coast swing on Friday's

Sheepman
3rd-November-2003, 07:04 PM
David and Lily have been too modest to mention it, but anyone reading the Hipsters thread will know there is a new West Coast Swing class starting this Friday, at Bisley Pavilion, Bisley Camp, 8pm to 11pm, with David and Lily teaching.

Details here (http://www.jivebug.co.uk/)

A shame it clashes with the new phat Friday's once a month at Hipster's. But I'm sure there'll be plenty of familiar faces there, getting to grips with this super cool dance style.

Greg

Heather
3rd-November-2003, 07:09 PM
:D There are quite a few of us up here who would love to be able to attend. We did some West Coast Swing for a while when Graham and Dianne from Glasgow held classes in Dundee and Perth. It was fab and I really miss it.
:kiss: :hug:
Heather.

frodo
5th-November-2003, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by Sheepman
David and Lily have been too modest to mention it, but anyone reading the Hipsters thread will know there is a new West Coast Swing class starting this Friday, at Bisley Pavilion, Bisley Camp, 8pm to 11pm, with David and Lily teaching.

Details here (http://www.jivebug.co.uk/)
Greg WOW ! West Coast Swing at more than one level with freestyle.

I've really enjoyed the bit I've tried, but there seem to be very few opportunities to do WCS.

Hope the DJing goes well. Would be nice to have an idea of how the music compares.

Divissima
7th-November-2003, 09:11 AM
It also clashes with Twyford - another excellent ceroc night. I'm planning to be at Bisley tonight for the first night but probably won't be back for a while. Spoilt for choice - definitely not complaining!:waycool:

Sheepman
7th-November-2003, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Divissima
I'm planning to be at Bisley tonight Excellent! What's my chances of a dance? :tears:

Greg

Pammy
7th-November-2003, 01:17 PM
Being that my King Prawn is still lapping up the sunshine, I'm planning on coming to Bisley.

Who is staying for the freestyle and who is buggering off early. I can't face two venues in one night; it'd be too much.

Px

Boomer
7th-November-2003, 01:25 PM
The odds are I'll be going to church :sad: ...actually, not that sad, not really...no not sad, good venue, excellent teachers and only 45 mins to travel 6 mile, not bad at all.

Pammy
7th-November-2003, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Boomer
The odds are I'll be going to church :sad: ...actually, not that sad, not really...no not sad, good venue, excellent teachers and only 45 mins to travel 6 mile, not bad at all.

Darling, after the conversations we've had, you NEED to go to Church, consider it a session of spiritual cleansing... :devil:

Divissima
7th-November-2003, 02:45 PM
I'm still planning to do the double-whammy with Chris - that probably means no dance with Sheepy :tears: :tears: :sad:

So Pammy - how are you getting to Bisley. Are we going to meet at Waterloo? I'll PM you for further planning...

Pammy
7th-November-2003, 03:02 PM
Anyone who needs a lift to Bisley from Watford; PM me :grin:

Px

Pammy
10th-November-2003, 10:46 AM
Well, just wanted to say that I really enjoyed myself on Friday. It was great to see Daisy (Jane) and Ray etc.

We missed the beginners class; driving around Lightwater for hours, but we really enjoyed the intermediate. I did a freestyle with David and it was amazing; that man can certainly lead; I felt as though I could do it :what: :blush: and now I want more More MORE!

Shame it's Camber this weekend and then Scotland the week after; well not a shame, but it means I won't get to go for a few weeks.

David, I shall be cornering you for a freestyle WCS at every opportunity; you have been warned! :wink:

Px :hug:

Divissima
10th-November-2003, 02:33 PM
Yes, the WCS was lovely on Friday. I really enjoyed it - poor old Chris, though - he got my *I'm concentrating really hard so appear to be staring at you like a psycho* face during the first freestyle. How lovely to do some footwork!

ChrisA
10th-November-2003, 02:44 PM
Yes, the WCS was lovely on Friday. I really enjoyed it - poor old Chris, though - he got my *I'm concentrating really hard so appear to be staring at you like a psycho* face during the first freestyle. How lovely to do some footwork!
Oi, less of the "old" :rofl: :rofl:

I didn't notice the 'psycho' face, I was concentrating too much :D

You did well not to look too bored after nearly a whole track of sugar-pushes :sad: :sad: :waycool:

Divissima
10th-November-2003, 02:50 PM
Peter Pan wrote:
Oi, less of the "old"
Ooooooops!:really: :wink: That's not what I meant - honest:sorry (just obsessed with my imminent scary birthday). I'll just back away from my original comment otherwise I'll end up digging myself an even deeper hole :tears: :tears:

'Psycho-face' = usual face (just ask TwK), but with less blinking.

How could I ever be bored dancing with you? :nice:

Geordieed
10th-November-2003, 02:52 PM
:kiss: Great to see so many people receptive to WCS. As an addition to adding structure and style to your dancing I have found that it helps to control the dance on a Ceroc dancefloor and helps to keep away from the more wild dancers around you. Did anyone else find that dancing WCS discovering life exists in both halves of your body helped to find the music with more ease.

ChrisA
10th-November-2003, 02:56 PM
Peter Pan wrote:

:rofl: :rofl:

Growing up is for wusses. :waycool: :waycool:

C

Daisy
10th-November-2003, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by ChrisA
Oi, less of the "old" :rofl: :rofl:

I didn't notice the 'psycho' face, I was concentrating too much :D

You did well not to look too bored after nearly a whole track of sugar-pushes :sad: :sad: :waycool:

Suger -pushes where all that Ray & I could cope with too.....well he is getting on a bit. Bless.:nice:

What goes around comes around..

Mary
12th-November-2003, 01:05 PM
Oh pooh, po, bum, belly, drawers!!!!!! (that's swearing big time BTW) why does WCS at Bisley have to be on the same night as Twyford??!!!! Twyford is one of my favourite (if not the favourite) venue, but I am gagging to do more WCS. What am I going to do? :what:

M

ChrisA
12th-November-2003, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Mary
Oh pooh, po, bum, belly, drawers!!!!!! (that's swearing big time BTW)

(coughs, splutters, chokes)... Yeah, right.

why does WCS at Bisley have to be on the same night as Twyford??!!!!

Twyford is one of my favourite (if not the favourite) venue, but I am gagging to do more WCS. What am I going to do? :what:
M
Can we get the Twyford night shifted to Thursday??

Then there's just Sunday to work on.... :D

Chris

Boomer
12th-November-2003, 01:28 PM
Oh pooh, po, bum, belly, drawers!!!!!! (that's swearing big time BTW) M

******** ***** ****** ***** ******* *....*** *!
That madam is swearing :grin:

(coughs, splutters, chokes)... Yeah, right.
[B]
Then there's just Sunday to work on.... :D

Chris

I already work on Sundays thank you Chris ****** ** ***** ***** ***** *!!!!!!!

(some more swearing lesson fo rMary :grin)

ChrisA
12th-November-2003, 01:31 PM

I mean Sundays to work on finding a venue for :D :D :D

Mary
12th-November-2003, 01:48 PM
******** ***** ****** ***** ******* *....*** *!
That madam is swearing :grin:

(some more swearing lesson fo rMary :grin)

Yeah, right, um thanks.

M

ChrisA
21st-November-2003, 01:06 PM
Anyone West Coast Swinging tonight?

Chris

Geordieed
21st-November-2003, 01:21 PM
:cheers: One.

Sheepman
21st-November-2003, 01:53 PM
Anyone West Coast Swinging tonight?

Yep

Divissima
21st-November-2003, 02:05 PM
I will be at Twyford - dancing with Bill & Bex :grin:

ChrisA
21st-November-2003, 02:13 PM
I will be at Twyford - dancing with Bill & Bex :grin: :tears: :tears:

... I've had the shock absorbers replaced since your last ordeal :blush: :what:

Chris

Divissima
21st-November-2003, 02:15 PM
eh???! :confused:

Ordeal + supersmoothChrisA = DOES NOT COMPUTE

ChrisA
21st-November-2003, 03:02 PM
eh???! :confused:

Ordeal + supersmoothChrisA = DOES NOT COMPUTE

I know, and the car soooooooooo fits the image..... :rofl: :rofl:

Divissima
21st-November-2003, 04:14 PM
oh *the light finally dawning* the car
I didn't feel a thing :wink:

ChrisA
21st-November-2003, 04:17 PM
oh *the light finally dawning* the car
I didn't feel a thing :wink:
What did you think I meant by shock absorbers, then?????

:really: :really: :really: :what: :what: :waycool:

Divissima
21st-November-2003, 04:39 PM
I'm a girl - don't think cars :rolleyes:
So didn't really know what you meant - sorry, long and tough week, just being
v e r y d i m . :sorry

ChrisA
21st-November-2003, 04:49 PM
v e r y d i m . :sorry [/B]
Not at all...

Just glad I managed to miss the potholes, or you might remember the ride a bit better :blush:

Divissima
21st-November-2003, 05:00 PM
your'e talking to a girl who carries her own at all times :tears: :wink:

Divissima
21st-November-2003, 05:50 PM
potholes, that is :D

ChrisA
22nd-November-2003, 01:26 AM
Guess what, everybody... I can freestyle to WCS :waycool: :waycool:

Well, a little bit. :what: :blush: :confused:

I still have my "3 & 4, 5 & 6" face on 90% of the time... and the other 10% it's my "oh bugger was that a break several bars ago" face....

... but I can end up on the correct foot quite a bit of the time after the triple steps, and, even more amazingly, decide ahead of time which side of the slot I'm going, so it's not completely random whether it turns out as an underarm turn or a side pass.

Woohoo... can you tell I'm a little bit excited by it??? :D

God, the stress of being a beginner again. It had better be good for the soul... :tears: :tears:

But what a cool dance....

... and D & L teach it soooooooooo nicely.... thanks guys.

And some verrrrrrry nice DJing too. "Eclectic" was the word our very own Sheepster used, but I liked it a lot.

Chris :hug: :hug:

Divissima
22nd-November-2003, 11:30 AM
Congratulations, Chris - how impressive! :waycool: (I'd expect nothing less from one such as yourself). I'm falling behind in the WCS - but can't give up my Twyford night! Oh well...

But I've been hearing music and thinking 'I could WCS to that' - it's in my blood already!

ChrisA
22nd-November-2003, 12:00 PM
- how impressive!
Yeah, well, I selectively remembered the good bits :D

I didn't tell you about all the times where I got totally confused and just stopped completely with what must have been a very silly look...

... and where towards the the end I had got completely saturated so had to give up and dance jive.

Was greatly helped by a mini-private lesson from Lily... in which I noticed she can teach without leading. Amazing.

:cheers:

Chris

Mary
22nd-November-2003, 02:42 PM
OK ChrisA, please, please, please practise on me.:nice:

Mster

ChrisA
22nd-November-2003, 02:44 PM
OK ChrisA, please, please, please practise on me.:nice:

Mster
That is very definitely the best offer I've had all day :devil:

Only if you promise not to bring a camera...

... to catch all the "how the hell did I end up on this foot" faces :D

Sheepman
1st-December-2003, 02:27 PM
But what a cool dance....

... and D & L teach it soooooooooo nicely.... thanks guys.
I have to declare an interest here, because if the events weren't running, then I wouldn't be DJing, but after last Friday's lessons, I feel I must comment about the teaching.

Over the few years I've been trying to master West Coast Swing, I've had lessons from 7 different teachers, including top dancers from the USA. I've noticed how David and Lily's teaching style has changed since their early WC swing lessons at Camber, and now I have to say, in my experience, nobody does it better! (Anyone remember their 007 cabaret routine?)

As well as very clear, precise instruction, you need some inspiration from your teachers, which I think is difficult to do in what is mostly a gentle, relaxed, style of dance. David and Lily manage both. (Not that they are the only inspirational dancers at the event!)

Now for the bad news, I've realised that after some initial years of confusion, I now follow (and try to emulate) those dance teachers whose style I like. Does this mean I will become indistinguishable from David, and end up going home with the clone of Lily, also known as Andy? ! :sick:

And some verrrrrrry nice DJing too. "Eclectic" was the word our very own Sheepster used, but I liked it a lot.
Thanks Chris, hadn't spotted this before, but maybe you've changed your opinion after the last one!

Greg

ChrisA
1st-December-2003, 02:36 PM
Thanks Chris, hadn't spotted this before, but maybe you've changed your opinion after the last one!

Cobblers.

It was fine. Once you'd given me that little bit of help with the slow one ( ;) ), there was no problem at all.

And all the rest was splendid. One day I might even be able to dance to some of it... :waycool:

Sheepman
1st-December-2003, 03:34 PM
One day I might even be able to dance to some of it... :waycool: I don't recall you NOT dancing to any of it!

Greg

ChrisA
1st-December-2003, 06:21 PM
I don't recall you NOT dancing to any of it!

I didn't dance to "Slow". I was watching Paul and Sally. With my eyes like saucers.

When they finished, I couldn't move. Then someone asked me to dance, and my first instinct was to run away. :tears: :tears:

Still, I bet they're not improving as fast as I am... :waycool: :waycool: :D :D :D :D

ChrisA
13th-December-2003, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Minnie M
AND A BIG BIG THANK YOU to the Barkers - what stars they are :hug:

Absolutely.

You can have a dance lesson, or you can see a guy being beaten to a pulp by a feisty lady....

Or you can have both.... and go to David and Lily's WCS classes.

Talk about leaving the punters wanting more...

They've done a great job establishing a WCS presence at Bisley, and I've certainly learned a lot from them over the last couple of months since their inaugural class at Rock Bottoms in October.

I hope in the months to come to even be able to apply some of it.

Thanks, guys. Fine DJing, too Sheepster. Keep at it, please :devil:

Chris:cheers: :cheers: :hug:

Mary
13th-December-2003, 11:54 AM
Went to Bisley last night for David & Lily's WCS class. Had a great night, and discovered I can dance to all that really funky modern blues type stuff. Soooooo sexy! (Well, it felt good to me, anyway).

This was my third WCS class with D & L. I gather Paul Warner is now going to be taking the classes - I've heard great things so can't wait to see him in action (as it were).

M

Minnie M
13th-December-2003, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Heather
:D There are quite a few of us up here who would love to be able to attend. We did some West Coast Swing for a while when Graham and Dianne from Glasgow held classes in Dundee and Perth. It was fab and I really miss it.
:kiss: :hug:
Heather. it is

I have been to G & D's West Coast Swing class - and yes it is a real shame they have stopped it - Graham is a real treat to dance with:drool: and Dianne is so so graceful - I really enjoyed their classes they were small but very friendly and the standard was good too

Maybe David & Lily (when next in Scotland) could persuade them to start again

Our little WCS class is coming on really great thanks to the Barkers - and with the multi-talented Mr. Sheepman and his funky blues music and not forgetting the choccies (now Lily has found the supply) - what a way to spend a Friday night :cheers:

frodo
14th-December-2003, 02:36 AM

... I gather Paul Warner is now going to be taking the classes - I've heard great things so can't wait to see him in action (as it were). ...

So Paul Warner should be teaching in the new year as well as for the Xmas WCS party.

Does anyone know when it resumes in the new year ?

Sheepman
15th-December-2003, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by frodo
Does anyone know when it resumes in the new year ? It starts again on Friday 9th Jan. (Though the Jive/Salsa nights restart on Tuesday 6th). You can check the details at Jivebug Fridays (http://www.jivebug.co.uk/html/fridays_at_bisley.html) (at time of writing the teachers details haven't been updated).

David and Lily have done a great job (they must have done, to improve my basics! And it's not easy to learn a class from behind the decks), a shame to see them go :tears: Hopefully they will still drop in at times.
Still I'm looking forward to Paul's classes, he and Sally are amazing dancers, the type that make you sigh "I'll never be able to move like that!"

Greg

frodo
16th-December-2003, 12:57 AM
Thanks. I was hoping the web site was more up to date, but it's good to know.

Still, seeing what has been written, the new teacher looks to be a great excuse to take another look.

RobC
16th-December-2003, 11:39 PM
Still I'm looking forward to Paul's classes, he and Sally are amazing dancers, the type that make you sigh "I'll never be able to move like that!"

Greg
Paul will be performing a cabaret at the Fleet Xmas party this thursday. :wink:

PS. So will Glenn Ball and Adam & Tas :nice:

All for £8 - and we go on 'til midnight with tea/coffee and mince pies to round off the evening. :cheers: :cheers:

Rob

ChrisA
17th-December-2003, 02:03 AM
Very interesting night at Bisley tonight. Quite a treat in several ways.

Viktor's class was the hardest one of his that I've ever been to. I didn't get the whole thing, not even close, mostly because he went through it very fast.. Though I'm hopeful that when he repeats bits of it tomorrow night I'll get the rough bits more polished.

The cabarets were great... Paul and Sally did a WCS routine, very nice, very smooth, hopefully an indicator of some great Friday nights down there to come.

Then Viktor and Mick did a double trouble routine with Marilene which was great fun, and Simon and Nicole did one with some aerials and drops in it.

And I had a couple of dances with Sally. I was pretty nervous but it had to be done. She's an expert WCS dancer, but until tonight had done virtually no MJ at all as I understand it.

It was the purest test of my lead that I can imagine - a dance with a very good dancer who's done virtually no jive. The first one went quite well, but the second, where (a) I'd asked her to dance one second before Mick did :what: :what: and (b) the track was musically much more complicated, I was feeling a bit more intimidated and fumbled a few things :tears: :tears:

I came away feeling that I still have a lot of work to do, but not too dispirited.

The freestyle was nice, the music was a bit poppy at times, but cos it's Christmas, Marilene let us go on till 11.30, and there were lots of chocolates and mince pies available to keep the blood sugar up.

It's really a very nice venue. A different feel to it from either Ceroc, or Hipsters, but quite delightful in its own way. I really hope it continues to hold its own.

Chris

Geordieed
17th-December-2003, 02:34 PM
So ChrisA was that the first time that you have seen Paul and Sally do a routine. Tell me I really wanted to see it, was it great. I managed to see their last routine and thought it a joy to watch.

ChrisA
17th-December-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Geordieed
So ChrisA was that the first time that you have seen Paul and Sally do a routine. Tell me I really wanted to see it, was it great. I managed to see their last routine and thought it a joy to watch.
It was the first performance I'd seen, but I watched them dancing together the other week during WCS freestyle a few weeks back and was just as awestruck.

It was lovely. Relaxed, complex-looking while being quite simple, very fluid and VERY musical. Not an accent in the music missed that I could see.

I think I'll have to head for Fleet on Thursday to watch them again. And maybe pluck up the courage :tears: to try and get another dance with Sally. :blush: :blush:

Chris

RobC
17th-December-2003, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Geordieed
Oh, did I mention that Paul & Sally will be performing a cabaret routine at Fleet's Xmas party ? If you missed them last night, you've got another chance to see them tomorrow. :cheers:

AND Lounge Lizard is DJing :grin:

Rob

Sheepman
30th-January-2004, 04:03 PM
With all the talk about Bisley, and West Coast Swing, I thought it was time to resurrect this thread, It seems about the right place to put some links to some inspiring West Coast dances (but Franck may have better ideas), especially after David kindly provided the link to SwingDiego (http://www.swingdiego.com/results.html)

Here's another (I think also courtesy of David B too)

USASwingNet (http://www.usaswingnet.com/video_clips.htm)

Anyone got any more?

(I wish I had broadband!)

Greg

ChrisA
31st-January-2004, 01:28 AM
Went to Paul Warner's lessons tonight. Definitely worth going. I still feel like a beginner at WCS, and the few weeks off I've had over Xmas and NY haven't helped :tears:

But it's worth it for the lead/follow. He teaches tension/compression very nicely.

It's worth it for the music - Greg's sets are just luscious.

And it's worth it for the scope for interpreting the music, which is endless. I hope to achieve some of that in my next life, or possibly the one after that...

Chris

Minnie M
31st-January-2004, 09:35 AM
It's worth it for the music - Greg's sets are just luscious.

Shame you guys didn't come to the Winning Post after - the Band (Cadillac Kings) were very bluesy - (their gumf said 'music from the West Coast') and it was definitely WCS danceable :drool: - unfortunately there wasn't anyone there other than Kate that danced it :tears: Had lots of good slowish dances though :grin:

AND it went on till about 1:15 am ! AND I was on the door so it have been FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Hope to make it next week to Bisley :cheers:

Andy McGregor
31st-January-2004, 10:50 AM
I'm sorry I couldn't make it last night.

Our regular baby-sitters are in Spain for 2 weeks:tears:

Sheepman
2nd-February-2004, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Minnie M
Shame you guys didn't come to the Winning Post after We would have been there, but we didn't find out about it until today :tears:

Greg

Minnie M
2nd-February-2004, 02:02 PM
We would have been there, but we didn't find out about it until today :tears:

Greg

I thought I had told people - it was a very very Bluesy band, the rock and rollers weren't too happy - a band to remember for a West Coast Swing Ball :cheers:

Anyone going this week - at long last I can :cheers: BUT it clashes with Hipsters :tears:

David Franklin
2nd-February-2004, 02:11 PM
With all the talk about Bisley, and West Coast Swing, I thought it was time to resurrect this thread, It seems about the right place to put some links to some inspiring West Coast dances (but Franck may have better ideas), especially after David kindly provided the link to SwingDiego (http://www.swingdiego.com/results.html)

Here's another (I think also courtesy of David B too)

USASwingNet (http://www.usaswingnet.com/video_clips.htm)

Anyone got any more?Another site with some very good clips is DynamicPoetry (http://www.dynamicpoetry.com/Links%20and%20Videos.htm). The files are all fairly large but the quality is very high.

The US Open (http://www.usopensdc.net) site has some clips too, but they are only 30 sec snippets and the quality is relatively disappointing.

Tatianna & Jordan have competed on "30 seconds to fame" and "Star Search" on US television; I have some of those clips but don't remember where they came from to give links (sorry). Kyle & Sarah also competed on Dance Fever but I don't think any clips made it onto the net.

Dave

Geordieed
2nd-February-2004, 02:37 PM
Dynamic Poetry. Jordan and Tatiana.

What else is there to say...

Sheepman
9th-February-2004, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Lounge Lizard
And for the next BFFF (if it is same format as last week) I will be at Bisley WCS, Great teaching, Great music, space to dance.
Peter :cheers: :cheers:

I'm always impressed with the perseverance of those that stick at West Coast, compared to MJ it is difficult. Take the average MJ lesson, you'll have 4 to 6 moves that are taught, maybe 3 or 4 that are new to you, generally you're competent by the end of the lesson. With West Coast, if you can master 2 moves in a lesson, you're doing brilliantly. So it doesn't have the "instant gratification" of MJ, but patience is rewarded!

I reckon you need about 6 weeks before even the basics feel OK. When I started it, a friend told me that I should give it a year before I start to enjoy it! (Maybe she just thought I was a crap dancer!) Luckily it didn't take anywhere near that long, and in many ways I now prefer it to MJ, it gives much more option for interpreting the music, and it feels much safer in a crowded venue!! I also really enjoy being able to mix both styles within an evening, or even within a track.

Greg

Sheepman
8th-April-2004, 11:57 AM
Just in case anyone isn't sure if it's on this Friday, here's an extract from a Jive Bug email:-

West Coast Swing ***

Many of you have been wondering if we will be open on Good Friday.
This is to confirm that we will indeed be OPEN

*** THIS Friday 9th April ***

For more details on Jive Bug:

Check out our website Jive Bug (http://www.jivebug.co.uk ) or contact Marilene on:

Tel: 01276 609 199 or 07785 772 912 e-mail: mail@jivebug.co.uk
Greg

(NB If you check out the website, note that the Tuesday nights mentioned there are no longer running, - I'll remind Marilene it is time for an update!)

Sheepman
4th-May-2004, 10:59 AM
A reminder that there is no WCS class this Friday (7th May) at Bisley Pavilion, due to other functions at the venue. However on Sunday 9th there is a workshop with Paul Warden, between 1pm and 6pm.

1:00-2:30 pm Basic/improvers WCS moves & technique
2:45-4:45 pm Intermediate WCS moves & technique
4:45-6:00 pm Freestyle

Costs: full afternoon £20 in adv (£25 on the day)
1 class plus freestyle £15 in adv (£18 on the day)
freestyle only £5

Contact Marilene on 01276 609 199 or email mail@jivebug.co.uk. To book, send a cheque (payable to Jive Bug) to:-
Jive Bug, 22 College Rd, Sandhurst, GU47 0QU.

Greg

Divissima
4th-May-2004, 11:01 AM
Hi Greg
Do you know if there is another workshop planned - I am away this weekend and am disappointed to miss the chance to learn a bit more WCS.

Sheepman
4th-May-2004, 11:14 AM
Do you know if there is another workshop planned I don't have any details for further workshops, but I think another is being planned, best to check with Marilene.

Greg

Divissima
4th-May-2004, 11:16 AM
Will do. Thanks, Greg :grin:

spindr
5th-May-2004, 11:31 AM
Well, why not come along on to Bisley on a regular Friday night, surely there's nothing better on? :devil:

If you are interested then it looks like Paul will be teaching at Monster Jive Cocktail (now a Ceroc event :) ).

SpinDr.

P.S. The MJC website is at www.monsterjivecocktail.co.uk -- but you need to use Internet Explorer to view it, otherwise the buttons on the left don't show up (e.g. in Mozilla/Firebird, or Konqueror). The program looks a bit confused atm; how long has Tango been a solo dance, and how long has lambada had a Lindy turn? :)

Sheepman
5th-May-2004, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by spindr
surely there's nothing better on? :devil: And no better DJing?! :devil: :blush:

Greg

Sheepman
7th-May-2004, 11:15 AM
A final quick reminder not to go to Bisley tonight (7th May) - see above, (unless you're planning to shoot something!) And don't forget about the workshop on Sunday.

Greg

Sheepman
24th-May-2004, 03:22 PM
On Sunday 6th June there is a workshop at Bisley, with Paul Warden, between 12:30pm and 5:30pm.

12:30-2:00 pm Basic/improvers WCS moves & technique
2:15-4:15 pm Intermediate WCS moves & technique
4:15-5:30 pm Freestyle

Costs: full afternoon £20 in adv (£25 on the day)
1 class plus freestyle £15 in adv (£18 on the day)
freestyle only £5

Contact Marilene on 01276 609 199 or email mail@jivebug.co.uk. To book, send a cheque (payable to 'Jive Bug') to:-
Jive Bug, 22 College Rd, Sandhurst, GU47 0QU.

Also a reminder that there is no class this Friday - 28th May as Paul is away in the USA, but expect him to come back bursting with new ideas to show us the week after.

Greg

Sheepman
28th-May-2004, 03:27 PM
There is no class this Friday - 28th May, as Paul is with the world's best dancers in Atlanta. I'm expecting him to return next Friday with even more inspiration.

Greg

Sheepman
3rd-June-2004, 05:33 PM
I nearly forgot all about it myself, so I thought a reminder about Sunday's workshop and tea dance was in order - see above.

And of course we're back at Bisley as normal tomorrow night.

Greg

Sheepman
20th-July-2004, 05:41 PM
I've just received confirmation from Marilene that the summer break at Bisley will run from next Friday (23rd July) for 4 weeks. So the next West Coast night will be on the 20th August. Paul Warner will be teaching beginners WCS at CerocPlus in Fleet while Adam and Tas are away.

Greg

Sheepman
19th-October-2004, 02:25 PM
Bisley closed this Friday.
I've just heard that there won't be any wcs at Bisley this Friday (22nd October). If you go along, I suspect you will get a surprising reception, as they are holding an arms fare there. :eek:
I can't imagine why they would have given us such short notice for such an event :really:

check out the website for more info www.jivebug.co.uk

Greg

Peter
5th-November-2004, 12:54 PM
I've just heard that there won't be any WCS at Bisley any more ...

"WCS Fridays CLOSING
It is with regret that I inform you all that I will be closing my Friday WCS classes in Bisley. Our last night will be on Friday 19th November (when we will be celebrating Christine's 40th Birthday!). I would like to thank all of you who have supported the classes and hope that you enjoyed them as much as I did."

Gus
5th-November-2004, 12:57 PM
I've just heard that there won't be any WCS at Bisley any more ...

"WCS Fridays CLOSING
It is with regret that I inform you all that I will be closing my Friday WCS classes in Bisley. Our last night will be on Friday 19th November (when we will be celebrating Christine's 40th Birthday!). I would like to thank all of you who have supported the classes and hope that you enjoyed them as much as I did."WHY? :tears: :tears: We are just starting to get WCS up and running up here and had passed on the word about the 'mecca' of WCS at Bisley. Is WCS not commecrially viable or is it just a simple thing like the teacher is no longer available?

RobC
5th-November-2004, 02:11 PM
WHY? :tears: :tears: We are just starting to get WCS up and running up here and had passed on the word about the 'mecca' of WCS at Bisley. Is WCS not commecrially viable or is it just a simple thing like the teacher is no longer available?
Well I can't comment about the teacher, but I would have thought it more likely that it was the venue rather than the dance style/teacher. Bisley is just too far off the beaten track to attract in new dancers. It didn't survive as a Jive venue there when there are a multitude of Jiver's in the local area to attract to the venue, so I guess it was just too much to expect new dancers to find their way there for WCS.

spindr
5th-November-2004, 03:08 PM
Ok, here's the WCS info' from the post I received... I snipped out Jive info' and phone numbers. So, looks like it's only the Friday WCS class closing -- and WCS may be continuing at Bisley as workshops.

JIVE BUG UPDATES:
...snip...

WCS Fridays CLOSING
It is with regret that I inform you all that I will be closing my Friday WCS classes in Bisley. Our last night will be on Friday 19th November (when we will be celebrating Christine's 40th Birthday!). I would like to thank all of you who have supported the classes and hope that you enjoyed them as much as I did.
...snip...

Special WCS Friday Party - celebrating Christine's 40th Birthday - Friday 19th Nov

We will be celebrating Christine Chen's 40th Birthday Party with:
1 hour extra dancing - Modern Jive and WCS music from 11pm - midnight
Tea, coffee, cake and birthday celebration at midnight

WCS format as usual until 11pm
Admission same as usual
...snip...

WCS WORKSHOP and TEA-DANCE with Paul Warden SUNDAY 21st November 2004

Venue: Bisley Pavilion, NRA Camp, Queens Road, Brookwood, Bisley, Surrey GU24 0NY

3 levels of workshops:
Time: 1.00 - 2.00 pm Beginners' WCS technique and moves
2.15 - 3.15 pm Improvers' WCS technique and moves
3.15 - 3.45 pm Tea Dance (free tea, coffee and biscuits)
3.45 - 4.45 pm Intermediate WCS technique and moves
4.45 - 6.00 pm Tea Dance (free tea, coffee and biscuits)

Cost: All day: £20 (£25 if paid on the day)
Tea-Dance only: £3

Please note there will be no bar so bring your own drinks.
However, we will provide FREE tea, coffee and biscuits.

To book a place, please send a cheque (made payable to 'Jive Bug') to
Jive Bug, 22 College Road, Sandhurst, GU47 0QU

For further information on Jive Bug contact MARILENE on:

tel:
email: mail@jivebug.co.uk

or visit our website: WWW.JIVEBUG.CO.UK

Directions to Bisley Pavilion from M3 junction 3 (map available from website)
Follow the A322 south towards Guildford.
Immediately after passing through the village of Bisley, turn right into Queens Road at the junction with traffic lights. Look out for the (black and red) signpost to Bisley Camp (N.R.A.) which is located on the left side of the road just before the junction.
Follow Queens Road for about 1-2 miles until you find Bisley Camp on the right (in a sharp bend to the left). On entering the camp follow the main road through the camp, which is the only road with street lighting. You will find Bisley Pavilion at the end of that road just passed the N.R.A. site office

SpinDr.

Sheepman
5th-November-2004, 06:34 PM
Well I can't comment about the teacher, but I would have thought it more likely that it was the venue rather than the dance style/teacher. Bisley is just too far off the beaten track to attract in new dancers. It didn't survive as a Jive venue there when there are a multitude of Jiver's in the local area to attract to the venue, so I guess it was just too much to expect new dancers to find their way there for WCS.
I would think that probably sums it up, but I'll report back once I get the full details.

Greg

Sheepman
9th-November-2004, 12:29 PM
I can now confirm that Rob was correct about the reasons for Bisley closing down, it's just a sopt where there are so few locals to draw from. (I think the most local regular dancers were from 5 miles away, some coming 10 times that distance or more.)
Although the crowd there isn't big enough for commercial viability, they have so much passion for this dance, and Paul's excellent teaching, that I feel sure some sort of replacement is likely in the future.
So there are just 2 Friday's left at Bisley, it would be nice if they went well, and I'm sure the last one (19th November) will go with a bang, as it is Christine's party night, which will be a longer session, and include more MJ and blues music.
Of course the Sunday workshops/tea dances will be continuing for now, they are on 21st November, and 12th December.

Greg

Zebra Woman
9th-November-2004, 12:42 PM
This is sad news indeed :( . I have a passion for the dance too but Bisley is a very long drive for me. Although I have friends who would drive down from Rugby Northampton , now that's PASSION :clap:

I hope something will come in its place that is a bit more accessible. It's so frustrating that something so lovely is done by so few people.

ZW :flower:

Daniel Sandars
9th-November-2004, 03:32 PM
This is sad news indeed :( . I have a passion for the dance too but Bisley is a very long drive for me. Although I have friends who would drive down from Rugby Northampton , now that's PASSION :clap:

I hope something will come in its place that is a bit more accessible. It's so frustrating that something so lovely is done by so few people.

Let's face it for the overwhelming majority of Jivers dancing is secondary to drinking, socialising and having fun. Selling these Jive variants to the more discerning intermediate-advanced dancers is a very hard sell.

However they do brighten the lives of a few dancers, if momentarily. We get a lot of great feedback about our Ampthill Blues events for that reason.

I reckon they are worth the effort and sooner or later something will come of them.

Minnie M
9th-November-2004, 06:25 PM
Selling these Jive variants

hmm...... don't think you can call West Coast Swing a jive variant :really:

Real shame Friday Bisley is closing, however, we will still have the Tea Dances/workshops and of course there is Hipsters on a Tuesday where David and Lily are teaching. AND it's influence is showing as the trend seems to be dancing MJ in a slot now :clap:

Peter
9th-November-2004, 06:36 PM
Real shame Friday Bisley is closing, however, we will still have the Tea Dances/workshops and of course there is Hipsters on a Tuesday where David and Lily are teaching.

Unfortunately, there isn't nearly enough WCS style music played at Hipsters on Tues night for all the practising I need ...

Zebra Woman
9th-November-2004, 06:51 PM
Unfortunately, there isn't nearly enough WCS style music played at Hipsters on Tues night for all the practising I need ...
:yeah: I'm lucky if I get one or two dances upstairs (I have to be lucky enough to be with or find a WCS person when the song starts of course, which reduced the odds further)
I'd like at least 10, maybe we should be staying downstairs for longer?

Sheepman
10th-November-2004, 12:45 PM
I'd like at least 10, maybe we should be staying downstairs for longer? My problem downstairs is that there is no proper sound system.
Maybe Franco needs lobbying to have a DJ downstairs... :devil:
I know one who will soon be available :whistle:

Greg

Sparkles
11th-November-2004, 12:56 AM
My problem downstairs is that there is no proper sound system.
Maybe Franco needs lobbying to have a DJ downstairs... :devil:
I know one who will soon be available :whistle:

Greg

It would be nice to have a proper DJ and maybe a bit of 'atmosphere' in the downstairs room at Ealing, I find it all a bit clinical because the sound system isn't up to much and the lighting's all wrong. I'd definitely be more inclined to stay downstairs and practice for a bit after the lessons if these things were improoved upon.
Also, back in the upstairs room, it might be nice if a couple of West Coast-style tracks were played one after another. That way, if I'm already dancing with a non-west coatser for the first I might have the oppertunity to grab someone to practice with for the second.
I really enjoy WCS (even though it does make my brain work particularly hard) but I fear I'll never get better without more freestyle practice; and now that Bisley is set to close :tears: I'm wondering if I'll have the chance if Ealing's set-up doesn't adapt to accomodate those learning from David and Lily :worthy:.
S. x

Geordieed
11th-November-2004, 10:42 AM
I agree with alot of what is being said. I think David and Lily are doing a fabulous job and I would love to see more assistance given (upstairs or down or both for that matter) to freestyle for WCS. Obviously teaching and freestyling can't exist for long without each other. One of the problems is that WCS benefits from music that plays at a lower bpm than MJ or other forms of Swing. WCS also puts more emphasis on musical interpretation and David's choice of some pretty cool music it must be said, reflects that.

It would be interesting to see the mass audience reaction if some of this slightly slower music was played to everyone. It is easier to develop your skills with music that provides more thinking space. I would be happy to do MJ or WCS to this sort of music.

Peter
22nd-November-2004, 12:21 PM
Paul Warden now has a new venue, replacing Bisley - which is Surbiton on Fridays from 7 Jan 05. There will be Modern Jive upstairs and WCS downstairs, until 11pm. Click here for Ceroc Surbiton (www.ceroc.org.uk)

Also, Franco is now advertising the UK's first ever WCS weekend at Bognor 7-9 Jan 05 (see below)

Jive, West Coast Swing and Blues Weekend at Bognor - JiveTime & Jive Holiday Club

More teachers, more talent and more choice at our forthcoming Bognor Jive Weekend this January on the weekend of the 7th. Top teachers includes Amir, Nigel & Nina and many more.

Hours of Freestyle with the best DJs in the country until the early morning. Appearing for the first time at a Jive Weekend will be live band Jive Street. However, if you do not like live bands, we'll have another venue where modern cd music will be played continuously.

Also at Bognor on the same weekend this January, the UK's 1st West Coast Swing Weekend including teachers such as Paul Warden, Catriona Wiles, David and Lily Barker. One venue will be dedicated exclusively for Jiving whilst the other will be exclusively for West Coast Swing & Blues. Both venues will feature freestyle dancing until the early morning. You can book either weekender and you will be free to attend either event at any time.

All apartments at Bognor (except for single person occupancy) have been upgraded to our Top range. All apartments (single occupancy included) will be provided with free electricity, heating and hot water. Please note that we now have fewer than 250 places left for Bognor (out of 1100).

We are the organisers of the original Jive Weekends, BEWARE of imitations. In 2005 our dance weekends will take place at Bognor on the 7th of January, and at Camber on 6 - 9 May and 11 - 14 November. Events taking place at any other times are not organised by us.

For more info please e-mail us on jive@jivetime.co.uk, telephone 01494 - 72 73 44 or visit our web site www.jivetime.co.uk