PDA

View Full Version : backup ipod to computer

Amir
5th-August-2008, 12:41 PM
Yello!

Does anyone know how to backup files from ipod to computer and retain all the database info?

If I do it manually then all the .wav files end up missing their tags on itunes.
(mp3 files are fine.)

Using floola or sharepod ends up with the same result.

Since many hours have been spent rating and filing all these songs I don't want to start again so any advice appreciated!

Thanks!

Amir

Lory
5th-August-2008, 12:53 PM
I've used this with very successful results. :clap:

It even copy's your playlists and ratings

iPod backup iPod copy songs playlists copy iPod to PC transfer iPod (http://www.copytrans.net/copytrans.php)

ducasi
5th-August-2008, 01:12 PM
If I do it manually then all the .wav files end up missing their tags on itunes.
(mp3 files are fine.)
That's because, unlike .mp3 files, .wav files don't have a way of embedding metadata.

Lory's suggestion, if it's smart enough to do things like playlists, might be smart enough to recover .wav file metadata from the iPod's library.

Amir
5th-August-2008, 01:16 PM
That's because, unlike .mp3 files, .wav files don't have a way of embedding metadata.

Lory's suggestion, if it's smart enough to do things like playlists, might be smart enough to recover .wav file metadata from the iPod's library.

Sharepod also claims to copy playlists and stuff, but couldn't figure out how to get it to copy the .wav file metadate from the Ipod Library.

isn't there a way to manually copy the ipod library to itunes?

ducasi
5th-August-2008, 01:33 PM
Sharepod also claims to copy playlists and stuff, but couldn't figure out how to get it to copy the .wav file metadate from the Ipod Library.

isn't there a way to manually copy the ipod library to itunes?
None I know of – the iPod library is going to be in a different format than the iTunes library. It'll need a smart program to convert from one to the other.

CopyTrans sounds like it might be able to do this. Hard to tell from their web site. Maybe an email to the developers might be able to answer this question. copytrans@copytrans.net

Good luck.

Amir
5th-August-2008, 01:38 PM
None I know of – the iPod library is going to be in a different format than the iTunes library. It'll need a smart program to convert from one to the other.

CopyTrans sounds like it might be able to do this. Hard to tell from their web site. Maybe an email to the developers might be able to answer this question. copytrans@copytrans.net

Good luck.

Well I downloaded trial version of CopyTrans (the only limitation is meant to be that you can only copy 100 files) and it didn't work. It copied the rating and track name, but none of the other info. I've emailed them too, but doesn't look hopeful.

Thanks anyway!

Amir
5th-August-2008, 06:31 PM
Well I downloaded trial version of CopyTrans (the only limitation is meant to be that you can only copy 100 files) and it didn't work. It copied the rating and track name, but none of the other info. I've emailed them too, but doesn't look hopeful.

Thanks anyway!

Copytrans replied saying that they don't yet support WAV, but I found another 'TuneAid' that seems to work well, it only misses the 'sorting' tags for WAV files, but manages all the other details, which makes it much less work then the others. I'll let you all know if I find any more problems with Tuneaid but so far thats my recommendation.

Agente Secreto
5th-August-2008, 11:46 PM
Copytrans replied saying that they don't yet support WAV, but I found another 'TuneAid' that seems to work well, it only misses the 'sorting' tags for WAV files, but manages all the other details, which makes it much less work then the others. I'll let you all know if I find any more problems with Tuneaid but so far thats my recommendation.

I've got iPod Copy Expert installed iPod Copy Expert - Copy from iPod to computer, import to iTunes (http://www.ipod-computer.com/). Don't know if it does .wavs because my iPod only have .mp* files.

ducasi
6th-August-2008, 01:00 AM
I've got iPod Copy Expert installed iPod Copy Expert - Copy from iPod to computer, import to iTunes (http://www.ipod-computer.com/). Don't know if it does .wavs because my iPod only have .mp* files.
Just from the heading of the web page – "copy to computer, import into iTunes" – it sounds like this wouldn't work. The metadata *needs* to be copied from the iPod database directly into the iTunes one. Unlike MP3s, in a WAV file, there is no place for this metadata to "live" outside of these protective environments.