PDA

View Full Version : Virgin PCGuard

eeyore
24th-July-2008, 08:30 PM
I've just changed to Virgin cable, & it seems some setting is stopping me using smilies - OK not the end of the world but it does cramp my style, I like them!
I suspect the same setting is stopping me from staying logged in to the forum, & from saving routes on my train journey checker, which is more irritating.

Any ideas?? I'm not sure what these options use, to know what might be blocking them...

Dreadful Scathe
24th-July-2008, 09:07 PM
so dont use pcguard* - especially if you dont know how to use it - a free antivirus like AVG and the windows firewall or zonealarm is enough for most

you could read the instructions though

eeyore
24th-July-2008, 09:25 PM
I meant I don't know what processes the smilies etc run on, I've not had problems with anti virus software in the past, there's obviously something different in this one. Yes I've heard of AVG but not used it so for all I know it could do the same thing. I've also heard of RTFM, which I did...

Dreadful Scathe
24th-July-2008, 09:29 PM
anti-virus will not prevent smilies or stop web pages from remembering things

pcguard (http://www.virginmedia.com/customers/pcguard/) is NOT anti-virus software but it does include some

eeyore
25th-July-2008, 01:05 PM
Thanks, yes I do know that, just being lazy in my phrasing as they often get packaged together - it does include AV, firewall, privacy etc... And no I didn't think for a minute it was the anti virus causing the problems, it'll be one of the other functions but I'm not sure which without knowing what is actually being blocked...

Will probably try your suggestion of AVG & Windows firewall, a lot simpler than trying to puzzle it out!

Thanks again :-)