PDA

View Full Version : Potential newcomer.....what to do about sweaty palms?!

noel
24th-July-2008, 07:04 PM
Hi all,
I'm not local to you scots at all but searching the web I've come across the forum and you all seem a friendly bunch so hopefully you'll be able to help me out!

I'm 25, male and really want to get into dancing, ceroc looks great fun and i've got a few places local to me, i'd love to give it a try.
Only thing stopping me a little to be honest it my hands get very hot and sweaty (not nice i know!!) I've had a search and saw the links to driclor which i'll have a read about but I was wondering if there's anything else I could do? Must be lots of people with this issue so whats the answer!! In my mind I've got an image of some michael jackson style white glove action (two not just the one tho! lol), seriously tho, is gloves an option?!?!?!

Look forward to hearing from you all!

thanks

Noel

eeyore
24th-July-2008, 08:23 PM
Hi Noel,
I think you'll find a lot of us don't live in Scotland, it's a wide reaching forum!

I have a friend with the same problem, he uses something on his hands (driclor does ring a bell) which does help - I think you need to put it on the day before? But he seems happy with it, it's worth a go...

Not sure about gloves, think you'd find a lot of partners slipping out of your hands!

And do please give dancing a go, it's great fun (& can be very addictive),

Sorry, you would have got a bunch of flowers but my new broadband protection software seems to be blocking it?!

HelenB
24th-July-2008, 08:55 PM
Hi Noel

Welcome to the forum :flower: :flower: including the flowers from eeyore that she couldn't post! - as she quite rightly points out, not all of us are from Scotland so make yourself at home :D

I wouldn't suggest gloves as an option. I'd rather dance with someone with sweaty palms then someone with gloves.

The driclor does seem to be an easily accessible option (not that i've had personal experience with it) but I know that my aunt, who also had excessive hand sweating, had a small operation to "tie" the sweat glands (and my dad had something similar done for his underarms) Might be worth checking with a medical professional if it's something that really bothers you on a general day to day basis.

And finally, dancing is generally energetic so sweating is to be expected so don't let that worry you :hug:

Good luck!! Dancing is fantastic so I hope you give it a go

dave the scaffolder
24th-July-2008, 09:34 PM
Aye aye me old lover aftershave on the hands often hepls.

DTS XXX XXX

Little Monkey
24th-July-2008, 10:22 PM
Hi noel, welcome to the forum!

I don't know how severe your problem is, or if perhaps you're just worrying too much? I'd say try driclor if you do have very sweaty hands, but remember that dancing is energetic and it's just natural to sweat!

Some people sweat a lot, others don't seem to get very hot at all when they're dancing. Most of the sweaty ones are very good at bringing towel, dry t-shirts, deodorants etc, which is very much appreciated by their dance partners! But I must admit I don't get too put off by sweating, as long as the person doesn't smell (and does bring change of clothes etc).

I used to bring Mitchum deodorant wipes with me every time I went dancing, especially if I was going to freestyles or weekenders where I knew I'd dance a lot - and sweat a lot. I used them on my forehead, neck and under arms, and they were really good. And as a result I also had completely dry palms! Unfortunately no shops seem to sell these deodorant wipes any more - if anyone comes across them, please buy me 10 packs!!! :wink:

Anyway - don't worry too much about it. At least don't let it stop you from discovering how much fun dancing is! Have fun!

LM :flower:

batnurse
25th-July-2008, 08:53 AM
I used to bring Mitchum deodorant wipes with me every time I went dancing, especially if I was going to freestyles or weekenders where I knew I'd dance a lot - and sweat a lot. I used them on my forehead, neck and under arms, and they were really good. And as a result I also had completely dry palms! Unfortunately no shops seem to sell these deodorant wipes any more - if anyone comes across them, please buy me 10 packs!!!

The Web Chemist - Deoderant products for sale online, Personal Care products for sale online (http://www.webchemist.co.uk/ViewProducts.aspx?ID=64) :flower:

Andy McGregor
25th-July-2008, 09:08 AM
Hi Noel,

You asked about gloves. We have a lady who comes to our classes who wears gloves. She's always worn them. Nobody have EVER mentioned them to her and I've no idea why she wears them. It doesn't seem to stop her dancing or make any difference to the way she dances or how many requests she gets to dance.

One day I might pluck up the courage to ask her about her gloves. I'm hoping that she might put us all out of our misery and actually tell someone what the gloves are for.

However, my advice is to live with it and go dancing - what's the worst that can happen? Try whatever anti-perpirant you can find. But don't let something trivial like sweaty palms stop you enjoying yourself :waycool:

Edit: Thinking about it, I think the lady with the gloves was there last night without gloves. I'm not sure though, I don't think I'd recognise her without the gloves :confused:

Easily Led
25th-July-2008, 09:40 AM
I danced with someone the other night wearing latex rubber gloves - I didn't dare ask why. It didn't feel quite as odd as I feared!

ducasi
25th-July-2008, 11:13 AM
When I have seen dancers wearing gloves, it's normally to protect/hide eczema-affected skin. A light pair of cotton gloves works quite well in this situation.

I'm not so sure this would work well with sweaty hands though, as the sweat would probably soak through.

I'd suggest trying the antiperspirants already mentioned and talking to your GP about the problem – there's a simple operation which will stop your palms from getting sweaty.

ShinyWeeStar
25th-July-2008, 08:12 PM
Not sure about gloves, think you'd find a lot of partners slipping out of your hands!

When I have seen dancers wearing gloves, it's normally to protect/hide eczema-affected skin. A light pair of cotton gloves works quite well in this situation.
I've worn gloves once before due to eczema, to try to stop my plasters coming off, but only once because it didn't really work. I also found my hands slipped from my partners' more than usual, but my main problem was the gloves working themselves off as I danced. One partner in particular got more than he bargained for as I took the opportunity of a "hands over his head" type move to readjust them - I realised afterwards he didn't know why I'd thrown my arms around his neck quite so enthusiastically, oops. :innocent: :devil: :whistle:

And do please give dancing a go, it's great fun (& can be very addictive),

:yeah: :waycool:

Little Monkey
25th-July-2008, 09:09 PM
The Web Chemist - Deoderant products for sale online, Personal Care products for sale online (http://www.webchemist.co.uk/ViewProducts.aspx?ID=64) :flower:

I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

I've actually done searches for mitchum deodorant wipes online before, with no results. I'm now going to order about 10 packets of them!

Lory
25th-July-2008, 11:34 PM
I danced with someone the other night wearing latex rubber gloves - I didn't dare ask why. It didn't feel quite as odd as I feared!

I know I'm off topic but you just reminded me...

I danced with a guy with a false hand once.

It was during a lesson, I got him in the line up. I was completely oblivious and draped my hand over (as you do) and then a nano second after, I reacted very embarrassingly by snatching it away again and going eugh! :eek:

then I spent the whole time apologizing, trying to explain it was 'just' the shock. :cringe::blush:

He was very nice and explained he gets that reaction a lot! :blush::tears:

StokeBloke
26th-July-2008, 07:29 PM
Aye aye me old lover aftershave on the hands often hepls.

DTS XXX XXX
Shaving your hairy palms again Dave :rofl:

For those of you who have signed up for the forum, you won't get to see the advertising banners on the ends of the threads. So you would have missed this one (http://www.hyperhidrosis-usa.com/hyperhidrosis.html?gclid=CPykkumW3pQCFQ8gQgodlSYUS Q).

fletch
27th-July-2008, 03:40 AM
I can cope with sweaty palms but not 'Winny the poo gloves' covered in sweat and what ever else after going to the loo :sick:

one of the only men I refuse to dance with :mad:

fletch
27th-July-2008, 03:42 AM

really :confused:

so do I take it your getting into latex and does lost leader know about it. :wink::waycool:

Easily Led
27th-July-2008, 04:54 PM
really :confused:

so do I take it your getting into latex and does lost leader know about it. :wink::waycool:

I'm not saying anything :whistle:! However I am concerned that the size of the green bar relates to your sex appeal / popularity on the dance floor!

fletch
27th-July-2008, 05:03 PM
I'm not saying anything :whistle:! However I am concerned that the size of the green bar relates to your sex appeal / popularity on the dance floor!

Nar it carn't do or I would be a 6 :wink::na:

stop been boring, we could swop experences....you go first.....fletch hasn't got any thats why.

So Nole you'v been a bit shifty on your PM's so hun tell us a bit more about your self? i'v been caught out before. :cheers:

Minnie M
27th-July-2008, 05:14 PM

Welcome noel - I wouldn't let it worry you, we all get very sweaty dancing and even if the hands don't get sweaty, the follower's hands often do after dance moves like the 'comb' etc :what:

The above sounds a good idea, might get some myself :flower:

BTW which area are you from ?

noel
27th-July-2008, 05:24 PM
Lol at all your replies!! What have I started!!

Fair play some good experiences tho, and hey, prosthetic hand could have been worse, ....least it didn't come off!

Fletch: you had me confused, lol i'd forgotten what I'd originally posted and thought the driclor was in the post!

I'm about as far away from scotland as it's possibly to be in the UK down here in sunny (just for this weekend!!) Devon. A little way outside Exeter which seems to have a pretty good Ceroc scene.
I'm 25, work as a Project manager for an airline down here, moved down here a few years ago after finishing uni, live in my house with a mate from school who fancied an escape to the west country after he finished uni.

Have found it pretty hard to meet people and get a good group of friends, works not a particularly social company and very few like minded people there!!

I'm pretty easy going, very into kite surfing, snowboarding, chilling out, films etc.

Have had it drilled into me since an early age that a 'gentleman' (which I try to be!) should be able to dance, and finally I'm at the point where I want to do something about it. Eventually I'd like to do a bit of ballroom just to have the skill but I watch films like take the lead, step up, etc etc and think it'd be so cool to be able to dance hence my imminent arrival at Seroc's door!!

It looks good fun and a good intro for me, and aside from the fitness/dancing side be good to meet some new people too!!

So...thats me! Hope you're all still awake and sorry for being shifty on the pm's lol! :)

Happy sunday all :)

Noel

Lory
27th-July-2008, 05:51 PM
So...thats me!

Welcome to the forum Noel! :flower:

Double Trouble
27th-July-2008, 08:26 PM
Have found it pretty hard to meet people and get a good group of friends, works not a particularly social company and very few like minded people there!!

C'mon then Noel...get the old profile pic on the go then, so we all know who to look out for and say hi to.

Oh...and for all the single girly forumites who are desperate to see a picture of you, but are too chicken to ask. (they're single for a reason. Wouldn't know a potential flirt up if it came up and smacked them in the face):wink:

noel
27th-July-2008, 10:16 PM
Lol that made me smile!! there you go all picture added!!!

xx

fletch
28th-July-2008, 01:37 AM
(they're single for a reason. Wouldn't know a potential flirt up if it came up and smacked them in the face):wink:

did I tell you i'm single :wink:

I know you will find it hard to belive :rolleyes::D

noel
28th-July-2008, 06:59 AM
me....flirt?! .....Never ;)

whitetiger1518
31st-July-2008, 10:42 AM
mmm, Welcome to the Forum... I feel a holiday in Devon coming on ;)
Welcome to the dance addiction :)

Cheers Whitetiger

detomo
27th-August-2008, 05:44 PM
Hey Noel, have you tried dancing in Exeter yet?

If you haven't there's a fairly strong ceroc night on Tuesdays (~80 regularly), or modern jive on Monday (quite busy) or Thursday (very busy). All are very welcoming, have beginners classes and are at the Corn Exchange in Exeter.

Good luck with it all!