PDA

View Full Version : Camber, November 2003

TheTramp
30th-October-2003, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by Lory:
So, who's going to Camber then?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Minnie M:
we need a new thread for that - who's gonna start it Okie. Okie. If no-one else will then :D

I'll be there! Who else??

Steve

Dave Hancock
30th-October-2003, 12:57 AM
Had to cancel, got a wedding to be best man at instead:tears: :tears:

Will
30th-October-2003, 02:25 AM
Me.

Pammy
30th-October-2003, 11:06 AM
Me & Hills.

Rachel
30th-October-2003, 02:41 PM
Hm, not many takers so far, so I thought I'd add my voice.

Me and Marc will be there, too.
R.

Hayleybell
30th-October-2003, 03:52 PM
Me too :)

Lory
30th-October-2003, 04:31 PM
The ones widely known as THE MAD THREE! will be there, thats meeeeee, Joanne and Angelique! so WATCHOUT! WOOO HOOOO ----------------------------------------------------- :waycool: :waycool: :waycool: :rofl:

Chicklet
30th-October-2003, 04:38 PM
I am going for the first time with my best buddy and 2 crates of red bull.:D

TheTramp
30th-October-2003, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Chicklet
I am going for the first time with my best buddy and 2 crates of red bull.:D *cough*

Just one best buddy???

What about Norma then?!? :na:

Steve

Chicklet
30th-October-2003, 05:11 PM
maybe you're one of the red bulls????:sorry :what: :wink:

Reklaw
30th-October-2003, 05:18 PM
Myself, Janina (my better half from Nottingham), Phil (my teacher at Middlesbrough) and Alex (Phil's wife & demonstrator) will treking down to Camber again this year.

TheTramp
30th-October-2003, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Reklaw
Myself, Janina (my better half from Nottingham), Phil (my teacher at Middlesbrough) and Alex (Phil's wife & demonstrator) will treking down to Camber again this year. Sounds good. Are you going to come say hello?? :D

Steve

Lounge Lizard
30th-October-2003, 05:28 PM
I will be the first in and last out.

Steve have requested Chris give you the last set in blues room sunday, hope he does - that way we will finish on good slow stuff suitable for spent dancers - do you remember last May:what:
Why do they play 160bpm tracks after 50 hours of dancing and classes
C U there
p

TheTramp
30th-October-2003, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Lounge Lizard
I will be the first in and last out.

Steve have requested Chris give you the last set in blues room sunday, hope he does - that way we will finish on good slow stuff suitable for spent dancers - do you remember last May:what:
Why do they play 160bpm tracks after 50 hours of dancing and classes
C U there
p I spoke to Chris, and requested that slot too. I think there's a fair chance of it happening... :D

Steve

Reklaw
30th-October-2003, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
Sounds good. Are you going to come say hello?? :D

Y I Man :cheers:

TheTramp
30th-October-2003, 05:42 PM
Y I Man :cheers: Sounds great. You can't miss me. I'm the bald, fat, ugly one, who's never off the dance floor :D

Steve

Reklaw
30th-October-2003, 05:54 PM
Sounds great. You can't miss me. I'm the bald, fat, ugly one, who's never off the dance floor :D
Steve
It's OK Steve, we know you! :devil:
I've seen you around the country many times over the past few years, (we were all the Musslebrough too) but we're the shy retiring types ('cept Phil maybe, he wouldn't make a Ceroc teacher if he was :wink: and I bet you've already danced with Alex) so you probably won't have noticed us.

TheTramp
30th-October-2003, 06:06 PM
It's OK Steve, we know you! :devil:
I've seen you around the country many times over the past few years, (we were all the Musslebrough too) but we're the shy retiring types ('cept Phil maybe, he wouldn't make a Ceroc teacher if he was :wink: and I bet you've already danced with Alex) so you probably won't have noticed us. Ack. I'm sorry. I always feel so guilty when this happens :(

Okie. The upside of this is that you'll be able to make sure that you come say hello :D

Steve

Reklaw
30th-October-2003, 06:16 PM
Ack. I'm sorry. I always feel so guilty when this happens :(

Okie. The upside of this is that you'll be able to make sure that you come say hello :D

Steve
Ack! Ack! a couple of months in Scotland and you're talking like a native... or just pretending? ;)

We'll be sure to intoduce ourselves.... but only if you'll point out the other Forum Famous Names.... so we can identify the guilty parties ;)

TheTramp
30th-October-2003, 07:24 PM
Ack! Ack! a couple of months in Scotland and you're talking like a native... or just pretending? ;)

We'll be sure to intoduce ourselves.... but only if you'll point out the other Forum Famous Names.... so we can identify the guilty parties ;) Nope. I've started talking like one of them. I use the word 'wee' far too often already! :D

Any other forumites that I know (okie, so I do know most of them), I'll be sure to point out. Maybe someone should organise a meeting place for us all at some point on the weekend. Forum breakfast in the restaurant on Saturday morning??

Steve

Emma
30th-October-2003, 07:31 PM
Me me me! :grin: (Was just thinking it was about time to start getting excited and making shopping lists)

and Claire!

-and some others who strangely manage to avoid forum life. How they do that?! :wink:

Jon L
31st-October-2003, 12:44 AM
I'll be there on Saturday morning, I have to work Friday evening which is a pain but I'll make a start first thing.

Can I get in to the site at 1 am from the street? I know who's party I am in.

Can someone reply to this or please PM me.

Claire
31st-October-2003, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by Emma
Me me me! :grin: (Was just thinking it was about time to start getting excited and making shopping lists)

and Claire!

-and some others who strangely manage to avoid forum life. How they do that?! :wink:

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
<<<is very excited!
Now where DID I put that ticket??

Lory
31st-October-2003, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Jon L

Can someone reply to this or please PM me. I'm sure u can, if you've got your ticket with u, many people I know, went over to the beach at around 4am in May, they didn't mention they had any trouble getting back in

Lory
31st-October-2003, 09:11 AM
Has anyone got any good tips of things they've found useful to take to Camber?

I wouldn't be without my foot spa and Hot Chocolate!:drool:

Lounge Lizard
31st-October-2003, 11:21 AM
I'll be there on Saturday morning, I have to work Friday evening which is a pain but I'll make a start first thing.

Can someone reply to this or please PM me.
Hi Jon yes security guards are 24 hour, if the first gate is clised the second is always manned
p

Pammy
31st-October-2003, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Lory
I wouldn't be without my foot spa and Hot Chocolate!:drool:

Ahh yes, hot chocolate every night before bed (sad but true), plus mince pies; I love them, have two every day of the year...

Emma
31st-October-2003, 11:46 AM
Cereal and bananas at 2am is my hot tip :)

Sheepman
31st-October-2003, 05:56 PM
I'll be there with a brace of Wendy's (neither of them mine) and a sheep.

Has anyone got any good tips of things they've found useful to take to Camber?
Just fill the car with everything you can, especially:-
Booze
Dance shoes
Booze
Food
Booze
Caviar
Booze
Pickled garlic
Booze.

BTW I shan't be drinking.

Greg

Lory
31st-October-2003, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Sheepman
Pickled garlic

Greg
I doubt you'll be dancing either! Unless your partner has breathing apparatus! :rofl:

ChrisA
31st-October-2003, 07:16 PM
I'll be there with a brace of Wendy's (neither of them mine) and a sheep.

A brace of Wendy's what?

Wrong thread, Greg, I reckon. :wink: :wink:

Chris, apostrophe monitor to the great and good.

Jon
31st-October-2003, 07:59 PM
ME I'm going.

Anyone here wanting to meet some forum members shall we say left side of the stage near the bar in the downstairs hall after midnight on any day. :waycool:

Tazmanian Devil
1st-November-2003, 11:38 PM
ME I will definately be there oh I cant wait, Have been dancing 6 nights a week this last couple of weeks i'm so excited only 13 days to go!!:grin: :kiss: :hug: :cheers: :D O and not forgeting my dear friend the wacko he will be there too :cheers: :hug: :drool:

TheTramp
1st-November-2003, 11:47 PM
Well. Make sure you come say hello :D

Look forward to meeting you both (in the non-smoking area :na: )

Steve

Emma
2nd-November-2003, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Tazmanian Devil
and not forgeting my dear friend the wacko he will be there too Ooh blimey, no-one told me *he* was going, is nowhere safe?? :wink: :grin: :hug:

Jon
2nd-November-2003, 05:44 PM
Ooh blimey, no-one told me *he* was going, is nowhere safe?? :wink: :grin: :hug:

Cambers going to have even more of a fun atmosphere now then :grin: :cheers:

Lounge Lizard
3rd-November-2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Jon
ME I'm going.

Anyone here wanting to meet some forum members shall we say left side of the stage near the bar in the downstairs hall after midnight on any day. :waycool:
Why not all meet up 12.30 (Cabaret can run past midnight) Sat night Sun Morning, downstairs on/around the stage as tables by bar are often taken by othersp

Sheepman
3rd-November-2003, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by ChrisA
A brace of Wendy's what?
Chris, apostrophe monitor to the great and good.
Oooo, did I really put that apostrophe in? :confused: Was it Freudian?

Originally posted by LL
Why not all meet up 12.30 (Cabaret can run past midnight) Sat night
Sensible plan Peter, but will you be DJing down there at the time, and if not, will the DJ be any good? :devil:

Greg

Forte
3rd-November-2003, 03:01 PM
All of you (my lovely new forum friends) will be at Camber on my birthday ...and I won't:tears:
I am sure you will have a wonderful time! I am new to all this and didn't find out about it until it was too late but hopefully I will meet you all another time !:cheers:

Lounge Lizard
4th-November-2003, 01:03 AM
Oooo, did I really put that apostrophe in? :confused: Was it Freudian?

Sensible plan Peter, but will you be DJing down there at the time, and if not, will the DJ be any good? :devil:

Greg we dont know DJ or teaching scedule yet
so no idea if i have a dj slot upstairs or down.
in Jan I only got main hall in May I only got swing room.

I will not get into the camber dj discussion yet.

with me and Steve in the room he had better be good,
It is often Paul rose or paul amos about that time.

Andy McGregor
4th-November-2003, 10:59 AM
As of last night I will be at Camber too:D

I'm sharing with Rob Conrich who dances in the Brighton area. So it sounds as if loads of the regular English Forumites will be there plus quite a few Scots ones as well:hug:

There has been much talk about a rendezvous point for us people on the Forum. I could be flippant and say meet me on the dance floor because that's where we'll be all weekend - which I expect is mostly true:wink:

But we also need a off dance floor rendezvous point - I've just read this thread and found at least two:confused:

So I have a proposal - a Forum Blimp to mark where we'll meet, leave our bags etc.

If everyone thinks this is a good idea I'll pop along to the balloon shop and see what's available. Any suggestions for shape and colour?

Pammy
4th-November-2003, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Andy McGregor

Yeahhhhhh! :grin:

So exactly who ISN'T going? Do you think we could get a full house by forcing the few that aren't coming to come?

So I have a proposal - a Forum Blimp to mark where we'll meet, leave our bags etc. Any suggestions for shape and colour? [/B]

I think that's an excellent idea! Can we have daring red? In the shape of.... Oh Andy, surely we can rely on you to find something suitably distasteful! :wink:

Px

TheTramp
4th-November-2003, 11:06 AM

If everyone thinks this is a good idea I'll pop along to the balloon shop and see what's available. Any suggestions for shape and colour? Hmmm. Great :sick: :na:

It'd have to be orange. Obviously. As for the shape. Please someone make a suggestion and don't leave it up to Andy.

Oh, and of course, you'd have to have the website address on it, to start converting all the non-believers to the website.... :D

Steve

Boomer
4th-November-2003, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Pammy
Yeahhhhhh! :grin:

So exactly who ISN'T going? Do you think we could get a full house by forcing the few that aren't coming to come?

Px

Me :tears:

Pammy
4th-November-2003, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Boomer
Me :tears:

I wouldn't dare force you, you'd pull my pigtails!

or worse :blush: :tears:

Emma
4th-November-2003, 11:11 AM
Why doesn't someone bring down one of Franck's forum banners (Steve ;) )?

TheTramp
4th-November-2003, 11:13 AM
Why doesn't someone bring down one of Franck's forum banners (Steve ;) )? Because we wouldn't be allowed to hang it.

Unless of course, I submitted it as MY banner (all teachers and DJs are allowed to hang one).

Though, I'm not sure just how well hanging a ceroc banner would go down with Franco?!?

Steve

Emma
4th-November-2003, 11:18 AM
Yeah, well..that was why I didn't suggest it before...but then I thought on the other hand C2D let us hang a banner, Gus actually waved the banner about and suggested people join up at his party...and wouldn't something else with the web address on it just be advertising Ceroc anyhow...so what's the difference? :) ..maybe Franco wouldn't mind. I don't know Franco but have heard he's a nice guy... :nice:...could someone ask him?

TheTramp
4th-November-2003, 11:36 AM
Yeah, well..that was why I didn't suggest it before...but then I thought on the other hand C2D let us hang a banner, Gus actually waved the banner about and suggested people join up at his party...and wouldn't something else with the web address on it just be advertising Ceroc anyhow...so what's the difference? :) ..maybe Franco wouldn't mind. I don't know Franco but have heard he's a nice guy... :nice:...could someone ask him? Well. A blimp or something with the web address on, wouldn't be seen as official advertising. Whereas hanging a banner would.... And also, Franco wouldn't necessarily know :na:

Steve

Pammy
4th-November-2003, 11:39 AM
Well. A blimp or something with the web address on, wouldn't be seen as official advertising. Whereas hanging a banner would.... And also, Franco wouldn't necessarily know :na:

I think it was just a suggestion, and not a bad one at that....

TheTramp
4th-November-2003, 11:50 AM
Sorry Pammy.... you've lost me.

Which wouldn't be a bad suggestion? Asking Franco to hang a banner? Or putting the web address on a blimp if we get one?

I wasn't trying to put down Emma's idea, if you're having a go at me that is. Just being realistic. :rolleyes:

In the notes that come out to the teachers and DJs, you get to know that you can each hang one banner, as a reflection of the fact that you're working there. If Franco let anyone who wanted hang a banner, then there just wouldn't be enough space, since most jive groups across the UK are represented at Camber one way or another (either by organisers, or by people who go to the classes).

If someone wants to ask Franco if a Ceroc Scotland banner could be hung, and he agrees, then I'd have no problem with bringing it down with me. I might even try to remember to bring it back with me at the end (well, I will have only had about 6 hours sleep the whole weekend if previous times are anything to go on :na: ).

Steve

Andy McGregor
4th-November-2003, 12:17 PM
So we're having an orange blimp that we can write www.cerocscotland.com/forum on both sides of. Sounds good to me. Just a thought, is Franck OK about it?

My other thought is that I can't see people looking at our blimp, writing down the name and logging on. But they might and it's no extra effort to write on a balloon. It would be nice to have a few more people here so we've got enough staff for Pammy to let me have a day off.

Which reminds me, we won't need to do this over Camber because we'll mostly all be there. How about a pad for a handwritten Camber Diary thread on the Forum Rondezvous table? We'd need smeone to type it up afterwards for people who weren't there. I'm not volunteering, I've got the Forum Blimp job:devil:

Boomer
4th-November-2003, 12:20 PM
...I've got the Forum Blimp job:devil:

No, best use a balloon.

Emma
4th-November-2003, 12:22 PM
How about a pad for a handwritten Camber Diary thread on the Forum Rendezvous table? Now *that's* forum addiction :grin: :cheers:

TheTramp
4th-November-2003, 12:27 PM
How about a pad for a handwritten Camber Diary thread on the Forum Rondezvous table? We'd need smeone to type it up afterwards for people who weren't there. I'm not volunteering, I've got the Forum Blimp job:devil: Hmmm......

This could be soooo embarrassing. So I'm all for it :devil:

And yes, I'll volunteer to type it up afterwards. Touch typing skills come in useful sometimes! :na:

Steve

PS. Graham said something quite embarrassing in the pub after Glasgow last night. But I can't remember it, even though I did threaten to post it on the forum :tears:

Pammy
4th-November-2003, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Andy McGregor It would be nice to have a few more people here so we've got enough staff for Pammy to let me have a day off.

Never :devil:

We'd need smeone to type it up afterwards for people who weren't there. I'm not volunteering, I've got the Forum Blimp job:devil: [/B]

Oh go on then, I'll do it :wink:

Forte
4th-November-2003, 01:18 PM
Hmmm......

PS. Graham said something quite embarrassing in the pub after Glasgow last night. But I can't remember it, even though I did threaten to post it on the forum :tears:

In Scotland we call this cliping...and you would be a clipe...

Sheepman
4th-November-2003, 01:34 PM
Well. A blimp or something with the web address on, wouldn't be seen as official advertising. Whereas hanging a banner would.... And also, Franco wouldn't necessarily know :na:

Trust me, Franco would soon know about it.
His policy (and I'm not going into any more history lessons here!) is that organisations which do reciprocal advertising are allowed to display their material. So if Ceroc (tm) were to advertise the Camber and Bognor weekenders etc., then maybe he would be happy to have Ceroc advertising.

If there is a concensus for it, then I'll ask Franco tonight about the website address on the blimp.

Greg

TheTramp
4th-November-2003, 01:37 PM
Ah. But Ceroc Scotland do advertise his weekend. On this forum. It's got the best form of advertising there is - people saying how much they're looking forward to going there.... :D

Steve

Sheepman
4th-November-2003, 01:44 PM
How about a pad for a handwritten Camber Diary thread on the Forum Rondezvous table? I used to lose even more sleep over the Camber weekends, Beach Boogie, Rock Bottom's, writing a journal. I've decided that there just isn't time for any of that, and if it was to be made public, about 90% of it would have to be chopped out anyway. (Or 99% for last November) But don't let me stop anyone who does have the time for jottings. I know I'll enjoy reading them.

Greg

Emma
4th-November-2003, 01:46 PM
Trust me, Franco would soon know about it.
His policy (and I'm not going into any more history lessons here!) is that organisations which do reciprocal advertising are allowed to display their material. So if Ceroc (tm) were to advertise the Camber and Bognor weekenders etc., then maybe he would be happy to have Ceroc advertising.
Well Camber and Bognor do get a lot of advertising from the Forum, so I would have thought it was reciprocal.

Um...and what exactly *is* a blimp??!!

Sheepman
4th-November-2003, 01:46 PM
Ah. But Ceroc Scotland do advertise his weekend. On this forum.
Very true - but will Franco see it that way?

Greg

Emma
4th-November-2003, 01:47 PM
Very true - but will Franco see it that way? Only one way to find out!!

Andy McGregor
4th-November-2003, 01:58 PM
I used to lose even more sleep over the Camber weekends, Beach Boogie, Rock Bottom's, writing a journal. I've decided that there just isn't time for any of that, and if it was to be made public, about 90% of it would have to be chopped out anyway. (Or 99% for last November) But don't let me stop anyone who does have the time for jottings. I know I'll enjoy reading them.

Greg

I'm afraid, Mr Sheepy, that you do not have written permission from the Pamster to take the weekend off. And the 4 week deadline for application has passed so you've still got to post that weekend.

Also, the diary pad will be on the table, you won't be able to resist reading it - which means you won't be able to help posting something in there - mostly denials:devil:

We've now got two people willing to type up the diary so I think EVERYTHING will find it's way onto here. There will be no 'Tour Rules' for you Sheepster - so you'd better behave and write in your own lies:devil:

p.s. I'll make up the Camber 2003 Forum Diary itself. I have ideas for the cover design already:wink: How many pages will we need, do you think?

Sheepman
4th-November-2003, 02:12 PM
Only one way to find out!! So do you want me to ask him tonight? Or shall I leave it to someone much more persuasive, like Pammy :wink:

Greg

Sheepman
4th-November-2003, 02:39 PM
you do not have written permission from the Pamster to take the weekend off.

p.s. I'll make up the Camber 2003 Forum Diary itself. I have ideas for the cover design already:wink: How many pages will we need, do you think?
The Pamster knows I'm permanently off at weekends.

I think something the size of War and Peace would be a start.

Greg

Lory
4th-November-2003, 02:40 PM

Also, the diary pad will be on the table, you won't be able to resist reading it - which means you won't be able to help posting something in there - mostly denials:devil:

Whats this diary all about then? Who will write the entries etc? :confused:

Andy McGregor
4th-November-2003, 02:45 PM
Um...and what exactly *is* a blimp??!!

A blimp is a small non-rigid airship or balloon.

I was hoping that someone else would make the connection between the self-professed shape of a Forum Legend its other meaning derived from Colonel Blimp, a pompous, obese, elderly character invented by cartoonist David Low before WW2:devil:

Somehow it all backfired and I was myself accused of being the blimp - my diet starts tomorrow, I've just got this big bag of gingerbread men and sherbert lemons to finish:tears:

Andy McGregor
4th-November-2003, 02:59 PM
Whats this diary all about then? Who will write the entries etc? :confused:

Keep up Lory, this was discussed earlier, but in summary;

1. We'll claim a Forum Members Table

2. This table will be marked with an orange helium balloon with the legend www.cerocscotland.com/forum.

3. The table will have a book on it with blank pages. Those pages will be there for every Forum Member present to 'post' the rest of this thread in handwriting. This will be the usual stuff we post in here, but hand written - plus hand drawn smilies.

4. On the Monday morning the Tramp and Pammy will divide the completed sheets down the middle and each type up their half of the weekend and post it here.

Over the next 10 days I'm sure we'll come up with some more silly activities as well to make our mark on proceedings.

Boomer
4th-November-2003, 03:04 PM
Don't forget photos...coz I can't make it...I have to work....:tears:

P.S Lory, ignore McGregster, he's going through Sherbert withdrawal symtoms. :devil:

TheTramp
4th-November-2003, 03:06 PM
Over the next 10 days I'm sure we'll come up with some more silly activities as well to make our mark on proceedings. Oh god. Please Sue, make him wear mens clothing!!!

Steve

Emma
4th-November-2003, 03:09 PM
So do you want me to ask him tonight? Or shall I leave it to someone much more persuasive, like Pammy :wink: Go for it! He can only say no :nice: - what's to lose?

Andy McGregor
4th-November-2003, 03:33 PM
Go for it! He can only say no :nice: - what's to lose?

I've just had a vision of Pammy wearing a Scottish Ceroc Forum t-shirt and Franco trying to get her to take it off:D

I just can't see it happening. But if it does I want to be there:devil:

Lounge Lizard
4th-November-2003, 05:29 PM
sorry to be a killjoy but the blimp is a silly idea - Franco has organisations and groups from all over the country and if they all had blimps (balloon's) on their table it would not work, so I would not suggest it Greg
The banner however, there are ceroc teachers/dj this year Gordon and Sally are in the line up.
I dont bother with my banner - never gets any dancers turning up at the venue - but flyers would work and could be put out on the table - have you still got your printing company Andy and is it ok with Franck.

If we meet up at 12.30am downstairs sat night /sun morning set
Paul Rose is DJ for half hour then it is Trampy (Roger is upstairs from 12.45)
then we dont need banners, blimps etc.
Peter

Andy McGregor
4th-November-2003, 05:58 PM
sorry to be a killjoy but the blimp is a silly idea - Franco has organisations and groups from all over the country and if they all had blimps (balloon's) on their table it would not work, so I would not suggest it Greg

Sheepster didn't suggest it, I did. And if we didn't do things because if everyone did them there'd be too many people doing it then we'd never do anything:confused:

If everyone was arriving at Camber with a balloon then I think you'd be right, but they aren't because it's a silly idea - and that's why I like it:wink: The main reason why I prefer this idea is nothing to do with promoting the Forum, it's to do with having a meeting point for people with a common interest. There are so many of us we'd never all meet up any other way.

If we meet up at 12.30am downstairs sat night /sun morning set Paul Rose is DJ for half hour then it is Trampy (Roger is upstairs from 12.45)
then we dont need banners, blimps etc.
Peter

It's good to have a plan to meet for this special set but I think we should meet on the Friday night too, and earlier on the Saturday and probably on the Sunday. I'm not suggesting we live in each others pockets but that we just keep our bags together (we've got to put them somewhere) and have the 'Camber, November 2003' thread diary near them for adding to this thread in the proposed manner and that tome needs to be easily spotted - I know, why don't we tie a balloon to it? :devil:

Are you suggesting that we should avoid Roger's set?:devil: Roger is a Forum member - but not the Forum Legend that is The Tramp:D

TheTramp
4th-November-2003, 06:01 PM
Are you suggesting that we should avoid Roger's set?:devil: Roger is a Forum member - but not the Forum Legend that is The Tramp:D Happily, Peter put a figure in incorrectly. Roger is upstairs from 22:45, and not 12:45, so you'd be able to dance to both his and my sets if you so desired Andy.....

Steve

Andy McGregor
4th-November-2003, 06:07 PM

.. able to dance ...

The nicest thing you've ever said about me:kiss:

TheTramp
4th-November-2003, 06:10 PM
Well, I did mean your rough approximation of what you'd like to think of as dancing Andy.

But it was too long to type at the time :D

Steve

Andy McGregor
4th-November-2003, 06:24 PM
Well, I did mean your rough approximation of what you'd like to think of as dancing Andy.

But it was too long to type at the time :D

Steve

Still much nicer than I'm used to:hug:

Will
4th-November-2003, 06:30 PM
It's good to have a plan to meet for this special set but I think we should meet on the Friday night too, and earlier on the Saturday and probably on the Sunday. I'm not suggesting we live in each others pockets but that we just keep our bags together (we've got to put them somewhere) and have the 'Camber, November 2003' thread diary near them for adding to this thread in the proposed manner and that tome needs to be easily spotted - I know, why don't we tie a balloon to it? :devil:

This sounds like a great idea!

So what is the definative agreement on where and when?

Andy McGregor
4th-November-2003, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Will
This sounds like a great idea!

So what is the definative agreement on where and when?

Here is my proposal which I've pasted from a previous page on this thread.

1. We'll claim a Forum Members Table

2. This table will be marked with an orange helium balloon with the legend www.cerocscotland.com/forum.

3. The table will have a book on it with blank pages. Those pages will be there for every Forum Member present to 'post' the rest of this thread in handwriting. This will be the usual stuff we post in here, but hand written - plus hand drawn smilies.

4. On the Monday morning the Tramp and Pammy will divide the completed sheets and each type up their half of the weekend and post it here.

There has also been a suggestion on the 'sters thread that we use t-shirt transfers to make Forum members shirts. The only problem is the debate over the colour of shirt:confused:

We could solve this by having a big logo and letting people choose their own colour shirt.

Emma
5th-November-2003, 01:24 AM
We could solve this by having a big logo and letting people choose their own colour shirt. *cough* I know someone who sells t-shirts with a logo on..very reasonable they are *innocent look*...and stylish...and....um...*looks at feet* :blush:

Boomer
5th-November-2003, 01:28 AM
*cough* I know someone who sells t-shirts with a logo on..very reasonable they are *innocent look*...and stylish...and....um...*looks at feet* :blush:

But who is this mystery person!?! And could we afford them :devil:

Andy McGregor
5th-November-2003, 01:42 AM
*cough* I know someone who sells t-shirts with a logo on..very reasonable they are *innocent look*...and stylish...and....um...*looks at feet* :blush:

This person you know, would 'he' be able to get them done by the end of next week? Would the women wear them, would ChrisA wear one, could we afford them, how would they wash, so many questions...

Jon L
5th-November-2003, 08:24 PM
sounds like a good idea - I am not getting in until either very late on Friday or early on Saturday as I have an evening shift to work until 23:30.:what:

Pammy
6th-November-2003, 10:19 AM
Would the women wear them

I would, IF, like Diva says, it's a nice little fitted one and not a mens big, baggy, horrible thing (not that all men are big, baggy and horrible you understand :wink:)

Emma
6th-November-2003, 10:29 AM
This person you know, would 'he' be able to get them done by the end of next week? Would the women wear them, would ChrisA wear one, could we afford them, how would they wash, so many questions... This person has them available in sll sizes, skinnyfit ladies and men's sizes (M&L)- and they already have a rather convenient logo of people dancing on them....(http://www.btinternet.com/~ec.prints/cesttoi2thm.jpg )They might consider a discount for a bulk order....:)

They wash just dandy and are professionally screenprinted. 'He' could probably bring them to Camber with 'him'....as 'he' might just happen to be passing :grin:

Emma
6th-November-2003, 06:52 PM
I'd be happy if I never heard another Enrique track ever again...especially 'Hero'
Better not go upstairs at Camber then, I predict 6 playings of it over the w/end Ooh...sweepstake, anyone?? I'll have a quid on 5 times (how skint am I?!) Only pleeeease don't make me count!!! :cheers:

Lory
9th-November-2003, 08:12 PM
ONLY 5 DAYS TO GO!!!! :DONLY 5 DAYS TO GO!!!! :DONLY 5 DAYS TO GO!!!! :D ONLY 5 DAYS TO GO!!!! :D ONLY 5 DAYS TO GO!!!! :D :rofl:ONLY 5 DAYS TO GO!!!! :D not that I'm looking forward to it or anything! :waycool:

Tazmanian Devil
9th-November-2003, 09:32 PM
But who is this mystery person!?! And could we afford them :devil:

They are very affordable and also value for money!! I already have 2 in different colours. :wink: :yum:

Jon
10th-November-2003, 12:50 AM
They are very affordable and also value for money!! I already have 2 in different colours. :wink: :yum:

You have 2? :really:
And they come in different colours! :what:
One isn't enough to keep you happy then :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:kiss: :hug:

Lounge Lizard
10th-November-2003, 03:20 PM
Hi I have just put a reply to DJ rant (in DJ booth) relating to Camber, can anyone going take a look as I am looking for feed back over the weekend
:cheers: :cheers: peter

Neil
10th-November-2003, 04:54 PM
I'll be there! Who else?? Me :D (yay!)

See y'all there (I'll be propping up the bar).

:cheers:

Neil

Lory
10th-November-2003, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Neil
Me :D (yay!)

See y'all there (I'll be propping up the bar).

:cheers:

Neil
Hey, shall I ask you nicely at Camber then? :yum:

Neil
10th-November-2003, 05:33 PM
Hey, shall I ask you nicely at Camber then? :yum: You mean you're not going to wait for an announcement from the DJ??? :eek: :wink:

:hug:

Neil

Pammy
10th-November-2003, 05:35 PM
You mean you're not going to wait for an announcement from the DJ??? :eek: :wink:Neil

Can I have one too?

a dance that is :wink:

Px

Lory
10th-November-2003, 05:39 PM
You mean you're not going to wait for an announcement from the DJ??? :eek: :wink:

:hug:

Neil
Do I have to?

:blush:
I hope u look like your Avitar, otherwise I won't have a clue who to ask! :rofl:

Neil
10th-November-2003, 05:50 PM
Can I have one too?
a dance that is Pamster, you can have whatever you want :wink: A couple of dances at the very least...

:kiss:

Neil

Neil
10th-November-2003, 05:54 PM
I hope u look like your Avatar, otherwise I won't have a clue who to ask! If you ask all the strange-looking men there to dance, eventually you'll get around to me (for best results, start in the general vicinity of the bar ;) )

Neil

Lory
10th-November-2003, 06:03 PM
If you ask all the strange-looking men there to dance, eventually you'll get around to me (for best results, start in the general vicinity of the bar ;) )

Neil
Thanks mate! :sad:

Pammy
10th-November-2003, 06:07 PM
Pamster, you can have whatever you want :wink: A couple of dances at the very least...

Why, Thank You :hug:

Lory
10th-November-2003, 06:21 PM
Why, Thank You :hug:
Hey Pammie, U know what I'm thinking!!!!! S/S!!!! :what: :wink: PM!

Andy McGregor
10th-November-2003, 06:51 PM
Hey Pammie, U know what I'm thinking!!!!! S/S!!!! :what: :wink: PM!

Neil, be very afraid. The above is the equivalent of the girls at school inviting their friends into the ladies to talk about you:wink:

Neil
10th-November-2003, 06:59 PM
Neil, be very afraid Andy, I am indeed very, very afraid :eek: S/S???

Still, as Oscar once said, there is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about etc. etc.

Neil

Andy McGregor
10th-November-2003, 07:04 PM
Andy, I am indeed very, very afraid :eek: S/S???
Neil

Sharp steel?

Snip, Snip?

Scary scissors?

Sex Scandal - no chance...

Emma
10th-November-2003, 07:10 PM
Um...did anything happen about blimps/balloons/meeting places etc etc? Because I don't know what half you guys look like - and I might wanna observe all that scary 'ster gang from a safe distance before approaching...:wink: :what: :grin:

Lory
10th-November-2003, 09:06 PM
Sharp steel?

Snip, Snip?

Scary scissors?

Sex Scandal - no chance... I can tell you S/S is NONE of the above!:D
although I am a hairdresser! :rofl:

Andy McGregor
11th-November-2003, 12:58 AM
Um...did anything happen about blimps/balloons/meeting places etc etc? Because I don't know what half you guys look like - and I might wanna observe all that scary 'ster gang from a safe distance before approaching...:wink: :what: :grin:

Hi Emster!

I've found a nice helium balloon in the shape of an orange tropical fish. Sort of Pamster's avatar without the face - and it's mostly orange - like the forum. I'm going to bring it and put it on our table attached to the book for us to continue this thread. We'll occasionally visit the book to keep the thread going in handwriting but - this season the 'sters will be mostly dancing - but on some occasions we will be wearing white t-shirts with 'sters on the back. We have agreed on a logo for the backs of the t-shirts - it's on the 'sters thread. If people pm me with their email addresses I'll email them a jpeg of the file with hopeless, difficult to follow instructions. I will also bring loads of t-shirt transfers for people to iron on to their shirts at random during the weekend - but take them off first:devil:

If people ask me nicely (via pm) and offer me £4 per shirt (to be paid at Camber) and tell me their size I'll make them a white 'sters t-shirt with their name on the front and take it with me to Camber. Guys will be crew neck, ladies will be tight v-neck. Guys I need your chest size in inches, girls I need your dress size. These shirts come from B-wise and are OK - what do you expect for £4?!

Lory
11th-November-2003, 12:02 PM
3 DAYS TO GO 3 DAYS TO GO 3 DAYS TO GO 3 DAYS TO GO 3 DAYS TO GO

TheTramp
11th-November-2003, 12:10 PM
Are you excited then Lory?? Bless.....

Steve

Lory
11th-November-2003, 12:19 PM
Are you excited then Lory?? Bless.....

Steve Does it show? :blush: :D

TheTramp
11th-November-2003, 12:23 PM
Does it show? :blush: :D Only a little. I wouldn't worry about it too much :rolleyes: :D

Steve

Lounge Lizard
12th-November-2003, 07:54 AM
OK
I am off to Camber today [laying dance floor]
C U guys going there friday and rest of forum Monday
peter

Tazmanian Devil
13th-November-2003, 04:45 PM
Hello anyone else out there excited :grin: This time tommorow we will be unpacking our cases and getting ready for the first night of utter joy:yum: I'm all packed and ready to go also been on a hypo for the last few days:wink: I feel the need to Dance Dance Dance. :waycool: :kiss: :hug:

Boomer
13th-November-2003, 04:47 PM
Hello anyone else out there excited :grin: This time tommorow we will be unpacking our cases and getting ready for the first night of utter joy:yum: I'm all packed and ready to go also been on a hypo for the last few days:wink: I feel the need to Dance Dance Dance. :waycool: :kiss: :hug:

This time tomorrow I'll be getting ready for work :tears: Thanks Taz :tears:

Lory
13th-November-2003, 04:57 PM

Ooooh I'm glad someone else is as excited as me, I feel like a big kid! :rofl:
I've just been to Waitrose and stocked up on all the goodies, suitcase is down but not packed but i'm going to start that in a mo!

Picking the girls up at about 1pm tomorrow, so hopefully should be down by 3ish! :grin:

see you all there! :hug:

Pammy
13th-November-2003, 04:59 PM
see you all there! :hug:

Yep, see you there.

Me; not packed yet; not even decided what I'm taking (other than a toaster)...

Anyone got any plans for what they're doing for dinner tomorrow night?

Px

Pammy
13th-November-2003, 05:05 PM
Sudden Panic:

what's the floor like? Fast or slow....

Huge shoe dilemma hits me on the head!

Px

Tazmanian Devil
13th-November-2003, 05:12 PM
Sudden Panic:

what's the floor like? Fast or slow....

Huge shoe dilemma hits me on the head!

Px

Ooooh From what i remember earlier this year the floor was magic!! :grin:

Tazmanian Devil
13th-November-2003, 05:13 PM
Ooooh I'm glad someone else is as excited as me, I feel like a big kid! :rofl:

Me too!!!
Been listening to my Ceroc cds all day and having a dance with my dog (who enjoys chewing my hand mid dance :rolleyes: ) to tracks like I would walk 500 miles, Straight to no 1, Jet set armani. :yum: :hug: :kiss:

Lory
13th-November-2003, 05:14 PM

Me; not packed yet; not even decided what I'm taking (other than a toaster)...

Anyone got any plans for what they're doing for dinner tomorrow night?

Px A Toaster! :what: please don't give me anymore ideas, i'm seriously worried that I won't be able to get the girls in the car with the amount of stuff we're taking, e.g. Foot spa! fairy lights. 3 x duvets, a good frying pan, sharpe knife and large Mugs as the cups we had last time were 1 gulpful! and a large massage thingy!

:rofl:
As for Dinner, I havent a clue yet, probably just have something simple in the chalet. :nice:

Pammy
13th-November-2003, 05:15 PM
Foot spa! fairy lights. 3 x duvets

Should be obvious which chalet you're in! :rofl:

TheTramp
13th-November-2003, 05:16 PM
Well. That's it. I'm finished.

You won't be hearing from me again on the forum until after the weekend (unless I find an internet cafe somewhere?!?). (Did I hear a big sigh of relief then??)

So, to all those that are going, see you there. :cheers:

And to all those that aren't going, I hope you have a great weekend doing whatever you're doing instead :D

Steve

Tazmanian Devil
13th-November-2003, 05:17 PM
This time tomorrow I'll be getting ready for work :tears: Thanks Taz :tears:

Aaagh Sorry im just soooo EXCITED!! :kiss: :hug:

Andy McGregor
13th-November-2003, 05:23 PM
Pamster having a shoe crisis???

Go glittery is the answer.

I had a recommendation from Daisy last night. She says bring a bath mat as the floors cold when you step out of the shower.

I've not even started packing yet. I'll start tomorrow morning. If I follow everyones list I'll be needing 3 suitcases. And all those things are real essentials, especially the fairy lights:devil:

Here is my list

20 shirts
5 pairs of trousers
10 pairs of boxers
10 pairs of socks
toiletries.
4 pairs of dance shoes
1 x Kylie Minogue

Oh, and a balloon and a blank book and loads of spare 'sters transfers.

Lory
13th-November-2003, 05:33 PM
I had a recommendation from Daisy last night. She says bring a bath mat as the floors cold when you step out of the shower.

I've not even started packing yet. I'll start tomorrow morning. If I follow everyones list I'll be needing 3 suitcases. And all those things are real essentials, especially the fairy lights:devil:

That reminded me too, 2 x old towels for bathroom floors! and to add to my list of essencials.....scented candles, they are a must! I hate that musky smell in the chalets!
:nice:

Pammy
13th-November-2003, 05:43 PM
Pamster having a shoe crisis??? Go glittery is the answer.

They are ALL glittery; it's just that some are faster than others :wink:

Px

Emma
13th-November-2003, 07:05 PM
They are ALL glittery; it's just that some are faster than others It gets faster as the weekend progresses - take them ALL (you know it makes sense!!) :waycool:

Andy McGregor
13th-November-2003, 07:10 PM
It gets faster as the weekend progresses - take them ALL (you know it makes sense!!) :waycool:

You still might not have enought pairs. But the good news is that Camber meets all human needs, dancing and shoe shopping - well I did say I was in touch with my feminine side:devil:

And the great news about this shoe shopping is that quite a lot of the shoes are glittery:D What more could a girl want?

Neil
13th-November-2003, 08:53 PM
Hello anyone else out there excited Must admit I'm getting a tad excited now :cool: Bought some ProPlus today (thanks Lory), so I'm ready to part-ay :waycool:

Neil

p.s. packing will commence approximately 20 minutes prior to my departure :)

Jon L
14th-November-2003, 02:05 AM
To all fellow forum chums and members

Those of you going drive safely down. I will look forward to seeing some more of you on Saturday. Unfortunately I can't get there til the morning

Jon L :nice:

Neil
14th-November-2003, 10:59 AM
Those of you going drive safely down And no speeding! :devil:

TheTramp
17th-November-2003, 10:05 PM
Wow.

Just back.

Had a great weekend.

Should be going to bed now. But instead, I'm going dancing in Dundee :D

Addicted??? Moi???

Steve

Jon L
17th-November-2003, 10:38 PM
:grin: Hi Folks

Thanks to all of you for dances etc.

Here's to Bognor in January

Jon L

Andy McGregor
18th-November-2003, 12:16 AM
On the Sunday night the last set in the Blues Room was so unpopular/uninspiring all but 1 couple went upstairs. I was there and it was the worst music to jive to I've ever heard played at any venue anywere, EVER - I've no idea how he expected us to dance to it :angry:

So all but 2 people went upstairs and it was The Tramp playing a fantastic set which we all loved. But that wasn't what made him the hero of the hour, that would have been too easy.

The upstairs set had to finish at 4am. Downstairs was on the timetable to finish at 4.30am. The last dances are very special to us addicts so over 100 dancers rushed downstairs to...

... nothing.

The DJ had disappeared, there was no music, there were no lights flashing - just nothing.

A mission was mounted to find a DJ, The Tramp was found upstairs packing his stuff away and given the urgent call to arms. Moments later, moments that seemed a lifetime to a tired dancer, the HERO OF THE HOUR, the MAN OF THE MOMENT, The Tramp, rushed in with his bags of music and took up position in the DJ box to massive cheering and applause. So the last 20 minutes of Camber dancing commenced. The weary, the wounded, the tired, the should-have-known-better made their way onto the floor to dance the last dances - all HAIL The Tramp:waycool:

p.s. I will not name the disappearing DJ. Let's hope the disappearance is permanent. He seriously misjudged his audience, can't play music that keeps jivers dancing and he can't even stay to play to the end of the slot he'd committed to DJ to the end of! There must be a place for DJs like him. It just isn't anywhere I'm dancing and it isn't at a Jive Weekend like Camber or Bognor. He got the music very, very wrong and he didn't even hang around to fulfil his commitment. My advice to him is to stay disappeared:angry:

Lounge Lizard
18th-November-2003, 08:44 AM
The DJ list is no secret - there were over 1000 of them distributed
The Sunday DJ slot was as follows

23.30-01.15 Jive Night. Swing & Blues music. John Miller
01.15-02.45 Jive Night. Swing & Blues music. Paul Amos
02.45-04.30 Jive Night. Swing & Blues music. Paul Rose

OK so paul got it wrong, tell the organiser, tell the DJ

There were a number of changes to the format at Camber were they popular?

While Paul was downstairs upstairs there was me, Nelson (He took the end of my slot as he is a good DJ and had missed on an upstairs slot) and Steve
Steve payed a good set I am sure and cotinued the Blues Room (which all of us would have done in that position)

If the room has no dancers on the Sunday it is reasonably to expect it to close - I am not discusssing the merits of any DJ's here.
over the camber weekend there was
27 classs with 35 hours teaching and 15 different teachers
45 hours of freestyle dancing with 15 different DJ's
There was more dance space than ever before
It was one of the busiest weekend events ever and the first post camber reply is to moan about the last 20 mins :what: :what: :what:

Lounge Lizard
18th-November-2003, 09:09 AM
Dan, Emma great to meet you and a big thank you for the lunchtime set - my fav bit of DJ'ing over the weekend

I had a great time - first in and last out
I got to Camber at 8.00 Wednesday morning - fresh and rearing to go
Finished at 4.00 Monday pm completly wrecked.
But it was worth it
I want to thank the floor crew who (I think) did a great job
Ben, Mikey, Steve, Mike A and Mike L

If anyone wants to provide feedback on the weekend (good or bad) to Franco he is not on the forum so please Email him direct at jivetime.co.uk

Tonight at Dorking should be great and looking forward to Andy bringing the M4dance crowd (for more info ask Andy)

Sorry to the many people who I did not dance with - so many ladies, so little time :drool:

Who is going to Rockbottoms next week?

Andy McGregor
18th-November-2003, 10:37 AM
I have written quite a few things into the Camber thread that that was attached to the Orange Fish which will be typed in today by Pammy. However, I thought I would reply to LL before that goes in.

It was one of the busiest weekend events ever and the first post camber reply is to moan about the last 20 mins :what: :what: :what:

1. The 'first post Camber reply' was by JonL.

2. My 'first post Camber reply' was to say The Tramp is My Hero.

I am not discusssing the merits of any DJ's here.

3. This sounds to me like discussing the merits of DJ's - and it's here :confused:
OK so paul got it wrong, tell the organiser, tell the DJ

There were a number of changes to the format at Camber were they popular?

While Paul was downstairs upstairs there was me, Nelson (He took the end of my slot as he is a good DJ and had missed on an upstairs slot) and Steve
Steve payed a good set I am sure and cotinued the Blues Room (which all of us would have done in that position)

If the room has no dancers on the Sunday it is reasonable to expect it to close

4. It in NOT reasonable to finish the event early. The last event at Camber was the freestyle in the blues room and that was timetabled finish at 4.30am. To finish early would be like a bus company saying "no-one had got on the 4.30 bus by 4.00 so we took it out of service". There is no way that the DJ could have predicted what the dancers would do at 4am - but he might have guessed that they would come downstairs when the upstairs venue closed to get in a final 30 mins of dancing - possibly more if previous Cambers are taken into account.

5. Apart from that little blip Camber was fantastic. The extended floor worked great. I could easily do quadrouple spins on it on the Friday night - but I couldn't even roll over in bed on the Monday morning:tears: I'm chuffed that I learnt new moves that are going straight into my freestyle - where do they keep coming from? I met loads of new people and got to know others better. The Camber/Bognor format works well, it's tried and tested and we all know what to expect - and that's why we keep coming back, time after time:waycool:

Pammy
18th-November-2003, 11:18 AM
Andy McGregor; posted on Friday at 20:30pm Scottish Time...
My journey here took ages. I had to pick up Rob from Worthing, pick up ‘Sters shirts, buy a balloon, meet Minnie Mouse & give a ticket from Lory, pick up The Tramp from Gatwick, drive to Camber via a diversion. I left home at 12:30 and got here at 18:30! I’m just off to pick up Hayley from the Rail Station. How was your journey?

Pamster officially signing in...
Arrived wearing slippers after a disasterous journey, during which we realised half way to Camber that I’d forgotten the tickets, and so had to go back :blush: For the record I’m not out of breath :grin: I can also confirm that McGregster is up to his usual sparklingly high standards in shirt wear.

Lory...
Hi all, I’ve arrived and having a wonderful time! Only 1 dance so far, but it was with Trampy so worth 10!

Pamster...
I have got knickers on and I wouldn’t knock Andy out with a wiggle; at least not til the lights go out!

Neil...
Just had two great dances with Pammy and Lory :grin: and met Andy McGregor Eeeeeeek!

Pamster...
Does that call for Eekster? Oh and my Boo Boo says hello everyone :-) (grinny ape thingy)

Emma...
Where’s Chicklet? Wot no Chicklet?! :tears:

DavidY...
Journey took four and a half hours :sad: Within fifteen seconds of getting out of my car I hear a voice saying “Hello David” – The Tramp :-)

Pamster 00:09...
Had a fab dance with Rachels Marc. Andy confessed all about being Julia Roberts number one fan; although Helen and I couldn’t see the attraction. Oh and Hugh says Hello :-)

Lory 00:45...
Feet starting to ache, new shoes! :sad: But had some amazing dances!

Pamster 01:00...
McGresters shirt is taking it’s toll on my eyes. Had a grince with Nigel. Now off to bed to prepare for tomorrow. Lory is singing her heart out. Fish Photo Moment!

Lory...
Double spin! and landed it! With McGrester :-) Willster has arrived MMMMMMMmmmmm!

Sheepman...
Five dances with Kate, can it get better? :-)

Andy McG...
6 dances with Kate, including all that Jazz :-)

Jon L 01:11...
Just got here and been through a series of dips and drops with Mr Lounge Lizard. Should be a good weekend – Andy McG. On form I see.

Pamster Saturday morning...
Andy M. says I look like I’ve had a good night, which translates as *You look terrible*, although in my defence I feel I should point out that he hasn’t seen me before in daylight; I always look like this (tears)

Sheepster – Sat lunchtime during Peter’s new freestyle...
Yes we’ve started, 4 hours sleep, great night, blue skies, but too much to do to get to the beach. Here is the anatomy forecast for Camber,
Vision – Slight haze, improvement expected after lie in Monday night.
Toes – Nails 8, fair, pressure still rising, expected 7, new low.
Complexion – Dry, becoming dryer, overnight eruptions anticipated, severe cracking.
Head – Repeated waves of high pressure, mixed with euphoria and nausea (Pamster: and it shoes, he’s green!)

Pammy
18th-November-2003, 11:18 AM
Pamster – 18:00...
Helen and I nearly slept through Double Trouble with Barry Shnikov, hence I did the class with two pillow creases down cheek!

Trampy...
God I’m knackered.

Pamster...
Where is everyone?

Sheepster 00:15...
Well, I’m here! Arrived at 11:45 in time to watch the cabaret. This is after Grahams right of passage. He’s gone from virgin to veteran in one easy lesson. 3 hours over dinner talking about dance, music, sex, and a few side issues. Graham now knows Camber isn’t ALL about dancing, it’s so much more. (Well, he was a quick learner, spending all day in bed with Wendy) (which one?) So vital questions, if you (a woman) were on a desert island stranded, and had to have sex with Bernard Manning or Cindy Crawford, which would you choose. For men, the choice is Jo Brand or Brad Pitt (careful, Jo would probably eat you after!) Must start some dancing now, have to find Nina or Pammy, I know which one will be most impressed with my glittery socks. (Pamster: too right!!)

Andy McGregor Saturday 00:00...
Tonight I am an Officer & a Gentleman. Which means I’m a photographic negative of Chris A – I’m a babe magnet; hasn’t worked yet, but I have every confidence :innocent: Pamster had moved the balloon; didn’t find it for 2 hours because she’d put it in Hotshot corner, next to the stage – what was she thinking???!! (confused)

Pamster...
The above said by the man who made me dance at the front in a cheap attempt to get on film wearing his latest heart stopping costume; oh and if it’s on the video, it was HIS LEAD (what) (blush) Anyway, I was merely bringing our personality and charms to clear up Hotshot Corner; has it worked??!! ;-)

Pamster 03:40...
Just did an excellent Safronia B with the Captain. Had a nice one with Lounge Lizard and did Trampy’s sig. tune :-)

Andy McGregor 04:00...
Witnessed Pammy leaving while chatting up smokers. It’s only 4am and the Pamster is wimping out!!!

Pamster 05:00...
Have a snake bite on my bum (tears) Someone has sabotaged Nemo :-(

Pamster 09:00...
I want to murder Helen. She is the noisiest flatmate in the world; not a good thing on 3 hours sleep! Some people will do anything to get to Strictly Sinful on time ;-) Me; back to bed!

Pamster 14:30...
Up and off to beach.

????...
Andy McGregor is great in bed!

Trampy...
God I’m even more knackered now!

Sheepman 22:30...
Signing in – oops, a good track, better have a dance with *SHE* followed by *SHE* That’s better, blood’s circulating, even if we weren’t sinful cont.

Andy McG...
Just spend ages making ‘Sters shirts – will be revealed later.

Sheepman continued...
Poor old Graham, veteran to invalid. All day in bed and on his own. Down with a Camber bug. It certainly wasn’t the caviar that did it, but now you mention it, a slight queasy feeling has come over me. Oh of course, that was the dance with Pammy! Three and a half hours over lunch today, we managed to get the wee shy Wenchster to turn beetroot on several occasions. It was all to do with pillars. A walk on the beach as the sun went down, amazing colours. Now back to the serious stuff.

Pammy
18th-November-2003, 11:19 AM
Pamster 00:00 (ish)...
Carpet riddled with fleas hence the mystery of the snake bite solved….. Plus: cabbagy shoe smell overwhelming, hence we’re going down(stairs) ;-)

Jonster 00:00 (ish)...
Just got *The Shirt* yes, there’s an *R* in there! Well, the end of a good weekend; lots of workshops and freestyle. It’s gone quick!!!

A L L S H I R T S O N !!!

Pamster...
Just had a wonderful Biggest Swining Dick with Andy McGregor :what: :really: ;-) Greg spilled coke into Andy’s shoes. Group photo taken :-)

Jon L...
So Andy will now find out what lime and soda does to the dance floor! That’s it, I’m tired! One more dance then me for bed; said zebedee…..

Andy McGregor...
Pammy’s a lightweight and is going to bed; alone! :devil: I’m staying up til the very VERY end, even if I have to dance the last track with Sheepster (confused)

Planckton...
Lindyed in on the tide; missed the ‘Sters explanation due to a coke flood. But now I know who Pammy is!

Pamster Monday 13:30...
Woke up with a man in our room. No, the two bloodhounds had not tracked down a victim, it was the chalet cleaner. Out of 1,500 people, we were the only ones left!

I got a cold shower; *SHE* had used up the last credit on the meter :tears: Then the car wouldn’t start. I still have soap in my hair!!!

Keys handed in at reception at 13:45 the only thing I could think of to say to the guy behind the desk was *Morning!*. Gates now closed as we’re the only mugs left here. Oh the fun of it!!!

JUST A BIG THANK YOU AT THE END TO EVERYONE WHO MADE THE WEEKEND SO SPECIAL, IN PARTICULAR, THANKS TO ANDY FOR NEMO AND THE WONDERFUL SHIRTS THAT HE PUT SO MUCH EFFORT INTO XXX

Incidentally, couldn't use all smilies as only so many permitted per post, hence :-) these etc.

Lounge Lizard
18th-November-2003, 11:41 AM
Andy in response to Sunday night ending....

Paul is a great guy ALWAYS willing to stand in and DJ at a minutes notice, if you asked him to continue until all night he would.

At one event there was two dancers in the room at 3.00 am on the Sunday, Paul's was advised to close but he continued with just that couple for over an hour.
He always kicks off the event on the Friday night blues room and often it is empty - he still keeps playing

If you don't like his music tell him or tell Franco, but please think what it is like to be DJ'ing to an empty room at 3.30am Sunday after a really tiring weekend, you already stated you did not like his music and went upstairs leaving an empty room, it is therefore fair to expect him to close early.

Your bus analogy - tonight instead of driving home from dancing catch the bus - it does not matter if the last bus has gone - just ask them to continue running busses until the last potential passenger has gone home - Coz this is what the DJ's do, we will keep playing until 6am (or later) if the dancers want and frequently do so I think if Paul stopped early because the room was empty then I don't blame him.

Lounge Lizard
18th-November-2003, 11:53 AM
The last dancers left at 3.40pm Monday - dont know who they were (but think I should know them) - they were dancing to the Pontin's act during rehersal time.
I was in the main hall upstairs, you should have come up to say goodbye pammy
p

Pammy
18th-November-2003, 12:20 PM
you should have come up to say goodbye pammy

I'm no good with goodbyes... but I'm great with hellos :grin:

Still need to go through a couple of moves with you. Helen ended up on the floor trying to get it right so I'm reluctant to continue without your expert advice :hug:

Lounge Lizard
18th-November-2003, 12:23 PM
Still need to go through a couple of moves with you. Helen ended up on the floor trying to get it right :hug:
Are talking dance :wink:

Pammy
18th-November-2003, 12:42 PM
Are talking dance :wink:

No :wink:

Andy McGregor
18th-November-2003, 02:20 PM
Your bus analogy - tonight instead of driving home from dancing catch the bus - it does not matter if the last bus has gone - just ask them to continue running busses until the last potential passenger has gone home - Coz this is what the DJ's do, we will keep playing until 6am (or later) if the dancers want and frequently do so I think if Paul stopped early because the room was empty then I don't blame him.

This was NOT 'my' bus analogy. What you've done Mr LL is take my answer and make it mean something else other than its stated meaning - ever considered politics? In MY analogy there was a published timetable and a bus was meant to be leaving at a given time and the bus wasn't there. I never said that the bus company should run busses if people wanted them - that's a taxi company. For Camber there was a timetable which said there'd be music and there wasn't any:tears:

Paul is a great guy ALWAYS willing to stand in and DJ at a minutes notice, if you asked him to continue until all night he would

I don't know Paul Rose well . From my experience he plays a particular type of music, a sort of 20s to 40s swing/jazz that sounds quite old fashioned. If you like that music and like to dance to it then he's a great DJ too. But we were in the Blues room at the Jive Spree weekend - and he wasn't playing Blues or Jive music he was playing music for Lindy/swing dancers - who, very obviously, weren't there - so the room emptied. I don't have anything against Paul. He does what he does, and probably does it well - but it was the wrong thing for that time and that particular weekend. Maybe, knowing the type of music Paul plays, he wasn't the right choice for that time on the Sundaynight/Monday morning.

As advised by LL I will speak with Franco about it myself but I've posted my views on this thread because I'd like to be able to tell him what other people think too - if it's just me I'll not say a word but if a few people agree with me it would be nice to hear from them. Hear are a few questions that might stimulate the debate;

Should Franco have a full set of back-to-back Lindy music played in the Blues room?
Should he rename the room?
Should the type of music a DJ is going to play be indicated on the programme?
Should the DJ keep playing the same style of music even if it is, very obviously clearing the room?
Should the DJ abandon the room when he knows that more people will be coming because it's the only room that will be open after 4am?
Should the last DJ in the last room left open at Camber play music that is only of minority interest and the majority of dancers at the weekend can't actually dance to at all?
Should I keep thinking up more questions?:devil:

p.s. The Tramp is still he "Hero of the Hour" - well, 20 minutes:waycool:

Sheepman
18th-November-2003, 03:12 PM
Should I keep thinking up more questions
As long as you don't want answers.

Yes Andy, you are dead right on this, for Paul Rose to give up and go home before the end of the published programme was appalling. Paul is capable of playing appropriate music for a blues set, I know, because he surprised me by doing it back in May. OK Paul had practically nobody to play to, but that was self fulfilling, because he had forced us all out with totally unsuitable music. (Admittedly he wasn't helped by the previous DJ, who was playing very simliar stuff, and there was space upstairs for people to dance to Trampy's great set.) None of this is an excuse for walking off the job.

I've complained so often to Franco about unsuitable stuff that Paul plays, so in May, I made a point of saying how good his last set was. If we want things changed, we have to tell Franco about it.

And did anyone else get annoyed at the DJ who frequently cut the ends of well known tracks downstairs, I shall have to mention that one to Franco again (as I did in May).

Overall (spending most of my time in the blues room - only upstairs when there was space) the music was brilliant, certainly on a par with Rock Bottoms, and probably better than this year's Beach Boogie.

Greg

Dan Hudson
18th-November-2003, 05:22 PM
Dan, Emma great to meet you and a big thank you for the lunchtime set - my fav bit of DJ'ing over the weekend

Peter, the pleasure was all ours!!

Had a fab time, gutted I didn't have longer and wasn't able to stay for the dancing.. :sad:

Would be more than happy to help out again...

Have booked for May, hope I can do some more then..

L8rs

:waycool: :cheers: :cheers:

Sheepman
18th-November-2003, 05:56 PM
Sheepman...
Five dances with Kate, can it get better? :-)
I feel I should Clarify that I wasn't talking about the famous Kate (as in Will & Kate or Kate & Amir), as I've never danced with her. The Kate in question could be as famous if she wanted, she is just such a good dancer that it is SO rare that I get a look in. :tears:

Shame about all those nightmare journeys, Pammy had you really got halfway there before turning back for the tickets!! My journey was pretty slow. (Starting at 1:30, arriving at 5). But this did include going to the wrong terminal to collect Wendy and Graham, a tour of the Weald, and stocking up on the food and booze. I was quite relaxed on arrival, I hope this applies to my passengers!

So did anyone else do less than one whole lesson, I'm not proud of that, it's just the way things went during the days.

I enjoyed Peter's "new" tracks at lunchtime (well it was just out of bed time for me), I didn't immediately like all the tracks, but it's a good time to try them out.

"She" and "She" - I suppose you didn't have time to read the bit that tells you to vacate your apartment by 10 a.m.!

Greg

Pammy
18th-November-2003, 06:00 PM
Pammy had you really got halfway there before turning back for the tickets!!

Yes, junction 10 we turned round on the M25 and went back to 19!

So did anyone else do less than one whole lesson, I'm not proud of that, it's just the way things went during the days.

I did 2 lessons all weekend, but now I know your score I don't feel half as bad! :wink:

"She" and "She" - I suppose you didn't have time to read the bit that tells you to vacate your apartment by 10 a.m.![/B]

Of course not! 13.30 it was; and nobody complained!!! While you were all weary and tired, we were sleeping like babies :grin:

Px

Sheepman
18th-November-2003, 06:16 PM
you were all weary and tired, Weary and tired? I had a full 3 hours sleep and was as fresh as an ape!
Has anyone seen Lory, hope she is OK, I saw her still dancing at 4 am Sunday night, and up till then she'd only had 1 and 1/2 hours sleep all w/e!
Maybe she's still asleep in her chalet?

Greg

Andy McGregor
18th-November-2003, 06:57 PM
Has anyone seen Lory, hope she is OK, I saw her still dancing at 4 am Sunday night, and up till then she'd only had 1 and 1/2 hours sleep all w/e!

I bumped into Lory as she was leaving the venue. Probably about 4.05am. She looked great but said that she was a little tired...

I've still not recovered. Went to bed at about midnight last night, got up to do the school run early today, worked all day, just off to a Council meeting now then dancing in Dorking if the meeting finishes at a reasonable time. Hipsters tomorrow night, 160miles late night, etc, etc - life goes on.

Maybe I'll have recovered in time for Bognor:what:

Emma
18th-November-2003, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Dan Hudson
Peter, the pleasure was all ours!!

Would be more than happy to help out again...

Have booked for May, hope I can do some more then..

:waycool: :cheers: :cheers: I'll second that!! :grin:

Jon L
18th-November-2003, 08:15 PM

Tonight at Dorking should be great and looking forward to Andy bringing the M4dance crowd (for more info ask Andy)

Won't be there tonight, as I am still recovering from the weekend (and I am only 34!!!). I have to be in the right frame of mind to dance and if I am honest Iam not and I need a break for a few days after a big event!-

Tazmanian Devil
19th-November-2003, 02:07 AM
What a great weekend!!!:waycool: Done quite a few classes Favorates being Drops and seducers Which I done the mens moves well done lounge lizard!!:wink:
Fun and slinky and strickly sinfull which I done the ladys moves well done mikey!:waycool:
I must say a big WELL DONE to Dan and Emma with trying out the new tunes What a fantastic set I was rather warm at the end of that set :cheers: :kiss: :hug:

Rachel
19th-November-2003, 12:06 PM
On the Sunday night the last set in the Blues Room was so unpopular/uninspiring all but 1 couple went upstairs. I was there and it was the worst music to jive to I've ever heard played at any venue anywere, EVER - I've no idea how he expected us to dance to it :angry:

So all but 2 people went upstairs and it was The Tramp playing a fantastic set which we all loved. But that wasn't what made him the hero of the hour, that would have been too easy.

The upstairs set had to finish at 4am. Downstairs was on the timetable to finish at 4.30am. The last dances are very special to us addicts so over 100 dancers rushed downstairs to...

... nothing.

The DJ had disappeared, there was no music, there were no lights flashing - just nothing.

A mission was mounted to find a DJ, The Tramp was found upstairs packing his stuff away and given the urgent call to arms. Moments later, moments that seemed a lifetime to a tired dancer, the HERO OF THE HOUR, the MAN OF THE MOMENT, The Tramp, rushed in with his bags of music and took up position in the DJ box to massive cheering and applause. So the last 20 minutes of Camber dancing commenced. The weary, the wounded, the tired, the should-have-known-better made their way onto the floor to dance the last dances - all HAIL The Tramp:waycool:

p.s. I will not name the disappearing DJ. Let's hope the disappearance is permanent. He seriously misjudged his audience, can't play music that keeps jivers dancing and he can't even stay to play to the end of the slot he'd committed to DJ to the end of! There must be a place for DJs like him. It just isn't anywhere I'm dancing and it isn't at a Jive Weekend like Camber or Bognor. He got the music very, very wrong and he didn't even hang around to fulfil his commitment. My advice to him is to stay disappeared:angry: That post has really annoyed me. Paul Rose is, in the minds of a great many people, a fantastic DJ who does play music that people love to dance to.

The downstairs room is often empty at certain times over the Camber weekends - I know, I've been there on many different occasions when it's like that, no matter who the DJ is.

And, yes, Marc and I were that one couple who were there dancing alone for an hour or so. We don't know how to dance Lindy/Swing properly, but had a brilliant time dancing to the music Paul was playing. And I give him full credit for continuing for so long, while there was only us. Why the hell should he have kept on playing any longer?

His music wasn't at all unsuitable for dancing by any means - it was great. So what if other people wanted to be upstairs? That often happens during Camber. And they obviously didn't mind the music that much, if they wanted to come and dance to it when upstairs finished.

It actually irritated me that people were so angry that the music had finished. If they'd wanted it to continue, they should have been there to support it earlier. As I said, if they had thought the music was undanceable before, they wouldn't have come down expecting to dance to it later, would they?

Yes, the Tramp was great for setting up again and continuing to play for us. But Paul would have been more than happy to do that, too, if he'd known that all those people were going to suddenly appear.

Andy, I do wish you would stop moaning sometimes! And, for Christ's sake, stop assuming that your opinion is shared by everyone else. Can't you just focus on the good things?

Finally, I would like to add that there were also wonderful DJ sets by LL and Steve over the weekend. Thanks to both of you, too!

Anyway, I'm well behind with work today, so I've got to get off the forum for the time being. Not even time to write anything about how brilliant Camber was now! But I'll be back on the internet soon ...
Rachel

Lounge Lizard
19th-November-2003, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Rachel
That post has really annoyed me. Paul Rose is, in the minds of a great many people, a fantastic DJ who does play music that people love to dance to.

The downstairs room is often empty at certain times over the Camber weekends - I know, I've been there on many different occasions when it's like that, no matter who the DJ is.

And, yes, Marc and I were that one couple who were there dancing alone for an hour or so. We don't know how to dance Lindy/Swing properly, but had a brilliant time dancing to the music Paul was playing. And I give him full credit for continuing for so long, while there was only us. Why the hell should he have kept on playing any longer?

His music wasn't at all unsuitable for dancing by any means - it was great. So what if other people wanted to be upstairs? That often happens during Camber. And they obviously didn't mind the music that much, if they wanted to come and dance to it when upstairs finished.

It actually irritated me that people were so angry that the music had finished. If they'd wanted it to continue, they should have been there to support it earlier. As I said, if they had thought the music was undanceable before, they wouldn't have come down expecting to dance to it later, would they?

Yes, the Tramp was great for setting up again and continuing to play for us. But Paul would have been more than happy to do that, too, if he'd known that all those people were going to suddenly appear.

Andy, I do wish you would stop moaning sometimes! And, for Christ's sake, stop assuming that your opinion is shared by everyone else. Can't you just focus on the good things?

Finally, I would like to add that there were also wonderful DJ sets by LL and Steve over the weekend. Thanks to both of you, too!

Anyway, I'm well behind with work today, so I've got to get off the forum for the time being. Not even time to write anything about how brilliant Camber was now! But I'll be back on the internet soon ...
Rachel
Thankyou - for the compliment and more importantly for supporting Paul

Lory
19th-November-2003, 01:17 PM
Maybe she's still asleep in her chalet?

Greg
Helloooooo, I'm ALIVE! just!

My God what a weekend:D I shared my Chalet with 2 lunatics, who in turn, turned me into one! :rofl:

I danced my ikkle socks off, done loads of lesson, including the infamous S/S (strictly Sinful) Luckily my partner was rather yummy and we just had a ball, really hamming it up :innocent: The roars of laughter, were deafening at some points!

The first move tapper, taught in the advanced jive was my favorite move, sadly I bet I never find anyone who will ever do it with me in freestyle but one can live in hope!

Sleep.....
For some strange reason, I just couldn't come/calm down, I only had 1 1/2 hours the whole time I was there, even though kind friends gave me herbal stuff to put under my nose and lavender to sprinkle on my pillow, I even tried hot choc and vodka. :tears: nothing worked! I just kept going over and over dance routines and other weird stuff in my head....madness!
In the end I was so tired that every time I started to laugh about anything, it turned into uncontrollable sobs!:tears:
BUT you'll all be pleased to know, when I got home I managed to get 14 hours straight sleep, now that has to be a record!:cheers:
Roll on next time! just don't let me forget to bring sleeping tablets!

Andy McGregor
19th-November-2003, 02:09 PM
Andy, I do wish you would stop moaning sometimes! And, for Christ's sake, stop assuming that your opinion is shared by everyone else.

This is a debate. It's what the Forum is for. In a debate people argue for or against a particular point of view. I have asked people if they agree or disagree with me to stimulate the debate - I know form experience that there are many sides to a debate. I never assume that my opinion is shared by anyone and I'm always prepared to change my opinion if given new information or offered a different angle to look at the situation.

Consider this Rachel, if I hadn't started this debate regarding the last half an hour of Camber you and LL wouldn't have had the opportunity to defend/praise Paul Rose and present a different side of the story. Many of those people who came downstairs at 4am to an empty room would know only one thing about Paul Rose - that he wasn't there! Now that you've posted on an open Forum they know much more about him and have a more balanced view.

In many places, particularly countries that don't have it, this process is called 'Freedom of Speech'.

Can't you just focus on the good things?

We could just focus on the good things. But that will never change anything. We need to identify where things could be improved and then debate the kind of improvement we'd like. We always have to keep moving forward as to attempt to stand still will be huge amounts of pointless debate about where we actually are. And an attempt to stay there would be doomed to failure.

And to return to the debate in a positive frame of mind. Has anyone got any suggestions about how the situation on Sunday night/Monday morning could have been improved?

Dan Hudson
19th-November-2003, 02:18 PM
Well said Rachel!! :cheers:

Dreadful Scathe
19th-November-2003, 02:36 PM
I wasn't at Camber, so feel i can comment on what appears to have happened based on the various rants :) so far and give an unbiased opinion :). Hey, thats what im here for...and its lunchtime :)

The downstairs room is often empty at certain times over the Camber weekends - I know, I've been there on many different occasions when it's like that, no matter who the DJ is...

You cant expect people to stay if they dislike the music, or the lack of partners, or need to go to the bar, or change their shoes... The reason for people not being there doesnt matter, as you say its commonly a nearly empty room - the problem seems to be that people turned up and there was no music at all. Doesnt seem fair to paying customers to me - being completely unbiased about the whole thing as i am! As sheepman says......

Yes Andy, you are dead right on this, for Paul Rose to give up and go home before the end of the published programme was appalling.

and 2 quotes together here....

The downstairs room is often empty at certain times over the Camber weekends .......
Why the hell should he have kept on playing any longer?

not sure those 2 quotes together make sense, if its valid for him to leave when the room is empty or nearly empty there are 'certain times' over the weekend he could do so. The only issue seems to be that it was toward the end rather than in the middle of the day, but, should there be any such distinction - dancers turning up are going to be understandably miffed if theres no DJ, no matter what the time of day!

There may have been a rumour that the music was better somewhere else so they went, if that music ended they would look for a place to dance regardless of music as anything is better to dance to than silence...but silence is what they got.

It is NOT reasonable to finish the event early. The last event at Camber was the freestyle in the blues room and that was timetabled finish at 4.30am. To finish early would be like a bus company saying "no-one had got on the 4.30 bus by 4.00 so we took it out of service".

Being unbiased as I am - it seems that Andy has a point, is it normal for Camber to finish early? If not, why did it happen this time? Seems odd to me.

If only everything could be broken down into simple logic like this :). (wonder how many people think im taking sides ?
:what: )

Emma
19th-November-2003, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
is it normal for Camber to finish early? Actually generally everything seemed to finish earlier this year, which I assumed had more to do with the staff than the DJs.

Sorry to be so brief. I'm sure someone else will pick up the baton and be far more long-winded :devil:

TheTramp
19th-November-2003, 03:04 PM
It certainly was Emma.

I went and found a manager, and asked if I could continue upstairs for longer on the last set, and was told that I couldn't.

As I walked in downstairs, I was flatly told by the security guard that I would have to finish at 4:30. No chance of any negotiating. I'd have been more than happy to continue for much longer.

When I first started going to Camber, it wasn't uncommon to finish dancing at 6am (or even later). I guess that the Pontins staff were more accomodating in those days?

Steve

Dreadful Scathe
19th-November-2003, 03:07 PM

be far more long-winded :devil:

no worries Emma, it was short but I still....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...wha? eh? Wednesday? eh?

Rachel
19th-November-2003, 04:13 PM
Again, this reply will be a bit rushed cos of work, but a couple of things:

This is a debate. It's what the Forum is for. In a debate people argue for or against a particular point of view. I have asked people if they agree or disagree with me to stimulate the debate No, you didn't ask people if they agreed or disagreed with you.

Of course, public debate is great. But you, Andy, do not seem to offer an opinion or issue for debate, as much as definitive statements. You never even seem to soften your arguments with 'in my opinion', 'this is how I see things', etc - you tend to write in a 'this is good'/'this is bad' vein. And don't we all know when you don't like something or someone! You already got me feeling sorry for Jeff Jasper, even though I've never met the guy.

Anyway, do you really think some of these comments from your post are reasonable points of debate?:

the last set in the Blues Room was so unpopular/uninspiring
… the worst music to jive to I've ever heard played at any venue anywere, EVER - I've no idea how he expected us to dance to it
… the disappearing DJ. Let's hope the disappearance is permanent.
… There must be a place for DJs like him.
… My advice to him is to stay disappeared Freedom of speech is one thing, but, personally, I think that slagging off an individual in this way, on a public chat forum, is different, and not fair in the slightest. Ok, you didn't name the DJ, but that information was available to anyone at Camber. This could potentially have hugely damaging implications for his DJ'ing career. Maybe that's what you want, but I don't think this is the nicest way of going about things.

Fine, if you don't like what he did, perhaps you could write to Franco. I'll be writing to Franco, as well, to let him know all the things that I particularly liked about Camber.

Consider this Rachel, if I hadn't started this debate regarding the last half an hour of Camber you and LL wouldn't have had the opportunity to defend/praise Paul Rose and present a different side of the story. I certainly would have written (and will) in praise of Paul, alongside other DJ's at Camber, whether or not you'd posted your above comments.

We could just focus on the good things. But that will never change anything. We need to identify where things could be improved and then debate the kind of improvement we'd like. We always have to keep moving forward as to attempt to stand still will be huge amounts of pointless debate about where we actually are. And an attempt to stay there would be doomed to failure.

… Has anyone got any suggestions about how the situation on Sunday night/Monday morning could have been improved? Bitchy comments are rarely the way forward to any change for the better. As I said, by all means write to Franco if you want to complain - everyone's entitled to their opinion, after all. Did you perhaps you have a word with Paul on the night - made some requests for music you liked?

Finally, about finishing his set early, particularly with reference to DS's post - personally, I think there is a difference between finishing your set early during the day, and finishing the last set of the night. I could be wrong, but my understanding was that the dj would play as long as there were people dancing in that particular room.

If this isn't the case, and dj's are contracted to play out their full slot, even if no-one's there, then, yes, Franco will need to have a word with him about that. As a 'paying customer', however, I certainly have no complaints with him finishing the set when he did, after he had entertained us, as the only dancers, for an hour. I thought that was well beyond the call of duty.

Rachel

Dance Demon
19th-November-2003, 04:32 PM
Good on ya Rachel. DJs have a hard job keeping everyone happy, and when you have more than one room operating at a time, then it gets even harder. People will tend to drift to the room that has more people in it regardless of the choice of music, because there are more people to dance with. Playing to an audience of two people can be very demoralising, but to Paul Rose' credit, he carried on. Good on him too:waycool: The fact that he has been invited to DJ at such a big weekend, should speak for his talents, and hopefully he will get another opportunity to prove himself.
Well done for speaking up Rachel:cheers:

Andy McGregor
19th-November-2003, 05:29 PM
No, you didn't ask people if they agreed or disagreed with you. [/B]

As advised by LL I will speak with Franco about it myself but I've posted my views on this thread because I'd like to be able to tell him what other people think too - if it's just me I'll not say a word but if a few people agree with me it would be nice to hear from them.

:confused:

Lounge Lizard
19th-November-2003, 05:44 PM
And to return to the debate in a positive frame of mind. Has anyone got any suggestions about how the situation on Sunday night/Monday morning could have been improved?
yes we wont print the closing time on the next timetable - or perhaps steal a RB idea and put silly Oclock

Lounge Lizard
19th-November-2003, 05:58 PM
Actually generally everything seemed to finish earlier this year, which I assumed had more to do with the staff than the DJs.

Sorry to be so brief. I'm sure someone else will pick up the baton and be far more long-winded :devil:

The latest it can finish is 5am downstairs Pontins will only allow background music after that time - although we have extended beyond this if duty manager does not mind

Upstairs music has to be turned down after 2.00am due to local residents complaining, unless a sound engineer sits outside all night with db meter thingy

downstairs used to close at 2am but it was always ok to extend beyond this if the dancers wanted - and therefore if no one was in the room (as can happen at Butlins) then the DJ would close early.

The classes were busier than ever before 8 rows from stage to steps - 1000+ dancers in one class.
when the classes are busy the dancing ends earlier it seems
However in May sunshine BBQ's etc. classes are empty and late dancing more popular.

ChrisA
19th-November-2003, 06:16 PM
And on the subject of publishing the Camber DJ finish times on the programme. Rockbottoms say they'll finish at 'SillyO'Clock'.The advertised finish on the RB Sunday night was "2ish" and quite a lot of us were gutted when JB finally packed up at about 4.

"Leave 'em wanting more" I suppose... :tears: :tears:

Me, if I can still stand, I'll probably still want to dance...

Chris

Sheepman
19th-November-2003, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Dance Demon
Good on ya Rachel. DJs have a hard job keeping everyone happy, and when you have more than one room operating at a time, then it gets even harder. People will tend to drift to the room that has more people in it regardless of the choice of music, because there are more people to dance with. Playing to an audience of two people can be very demoralising, but to Paul Rose' credit, he carried on.
But the point is DD, he didn't carry on!
It seems to be a case of DJs and Rachel against Andy on this one, but I do feel that Andy is in the right here, even if he may be a bit OTT with some of his comments. I don't think the DJ should have been named here, though it wasn't Andy that did that.

I write as one of the "non-drifters" ie for about 12 hours of the evening dances on Friday and Saturday I danced in the blues room the whole time, except for 5 tracks. There were times when the music didn't suit me, but I was always confident that a few tracks later I'd be happy, so I stayed. So did many others. Throughout the weekend it was the busiest I've seen the blues room, (I have been to every Camber w/e so far) with never a thought this time of going upstairs to find a partner.

I don't think anyone has said that the music played in the early hours of Sunday morning was impossible to dance to (even if Andy has come close), but it was certainly unpopular. As far as I'm concerned, this doesn't really affect the issue of packing up early. If the DJ had gone upstairs and checked to see there were still hundreds of people up there, it should have been pretty obvious that many of them would be back down once that venue closed. In the days before Camber, the w/e dances finished at 2 am, and that was fine, we knew in advance when they would finish. (And we had some hilarious parties afterwards). If Camber went for the RBs method of opening till "Silly O'Clock" which is mainly dependant on the number of people left dancing, then I suspect it would be open till dawn every time.

downstairs used to close at 2am but it was always ok to extend beyond this if the dancers wanted - and therefore if no one was in the room (as can happen at Butlins) then the DJ would close early.

The classes were busier than ever before 8 rows from stage to steps - 1000+ dancers in one class.
when the classes are busy the dancing ends earlier it seems
However in May sunshine BBQ's etc. classes are empty and late dancing more popular.
Maybe people did start the evening dances earlier, I don't know, because I didn't, but as I've already said, the blues room was the busiest I've ever seen it, right through to the end on both Friday and Saturday nights.

I must add that apart from this "glitch" the music in the blues room was the best I've ever known, it seems to me that might be a clue as to why it was so well attended?

Greg

Lounge Lizard
19th-November-2003, 07:39 PM
It would be good to end the Sunday finish here and talk about the better points of Camber.

If you guys had gone dowstairs and paul had been playing the same mix of music would you have stayed - probably not
As it is you got Steve who is far better suited to late night DJ slot in a blues room so surley all's well that ends well.
Franco (and Paul) will probably be at Hipsters tonight - talk to them.

OK a point raised by a friend - sitting out for the cabaret and dj/teacher introduction on Saturday was to long, joints had siezed and rest of the nights dancing was ruined - is this a good thing to do on peak dancing time
(Paul was DJ'ing downstairs if anyone wanted to skip cabaret etc.)
We all stop and watch even if we would prefer the freestyle dancing.
Any comments on cabaret etc.

Andy McGregor
19th-November-2003, 07:41 PM
wont they clash awfully

I already have both, but they do clash, the Crash helmet (only size M - surprisingly!) does match my silver shirt in a nice metallic silver/grey colour. The cricket box (size S - not surprisingly:tears: ) goes with nothing I own as it's in a sort of surgical pink colour:sick:

TheTramp
19th-November-2003, 07:46 PM
OK a point raised by a friend - sitting out for the ... dj/teacher introduction on Saturday was to longCan't blame me for that one!! :D

Steve

Reklaw
19th-November-2003, 07:50 PM
I was wondering if the well attended classes, earlier evening starts and the reduced numbers much later on could be something to do with the impression I got that the average age was a bit older this time especially amongst the men (this was my third November Camber in 4 years). I was particularly struck by this on the Friday evening dance.. I felt postively young!

Lory
19th-November-2003, 10:44 PM
I for one have nothing to moan about!

Cabaret
I loved the cabaret, I had a much needed break and entertainment to enjoy whilst doing so. I took my shoes off, sat back and watched how it should be done. Will and Kate took my breath away, Well done to you both! the girls dancing to I'm in Chains were very sexy, the double trouble team were spot on and the Tango troop amazing!

Music
I accept that not everyone likes the same music, we can't ALL have what we want ALL the time but I didn't hear anything particularly awful.

Floor
I actually found the temporary floor round the edge better than the real thing, silly but true! that might have been to do with the fact I had new shoes on? who knows? Well done 'boys'! you worked very very hard!:cheers:

Lessons
I can only speak for the ones i attended, and I enjoyed most of them very much, some I learn't a lot in, some I just had a bloody good time in :yum: :wink: and it was a refreshing change that there were men over in most of them

People
I'm very lucky, I always seem meet a bunch of the warmest, friendliest people, I met a couple of male partners who really took the time to encourage me on certain aspects of my dancing, I hope they realise how much I appreciated this and remain my friends for a long time!
:hug: :hug:

Roll on the next Camber! :grin:

Sheepman
20th-November-2003, 01:00 PM
If you guys had gone dowstairs and paul had been playing the same mix of music would you have stayed - probably not Hey Peter, I refute this slur on my character. Have you ever known me to leave before the DJ packs up? And if the women have all escaped, well there's always the men to dance with!

OK a point raised by a friend - sitting out for the cabaret and dj/teacher introduction on Saturday was to long, joints had siezed and rest of the nights dancing was ruined - is this a good thing to do on peak dancing time
We all stop and watch even if we would prefer the freestyle dancing. Someone said something very similar to me, though I didn't find this a problem, as after a very prolonged dinner, I arrived just in time for the cabaret. I didn't stay for the Tango one, which I've seen several times before, but went downstairs, and was surprised to discover a few couples were dancing down there.

You couldn't have the cabaret at the start of the evening, as so many people would miss it, it could be on earlier than midnight, but surely any suitable time is going to be a peak time?

Peter and Trampy showed how the intros should be done, but I suppose the less well known teachers/DJs do need to say something about themselves.

Greg

Jon L
20th-November-2003, 06:08 PM

We all stop and watch even if we would prefer the freestyle dancing.
Any comments on cabaret etc.

I think that there was no need to introduce every single DJ and teacher on the weekend. This could have been avoided by handing instructions to everyone when they got their keys and class schedue upon arrival with a mugshot list and also where their venues are websites etc.

Cabaret peformances were good overall - not too many of them.

jiveclone
20th-November-2003, 10:10 PM
There were two classes during the weekend which were not advertised as being fixed partner, but which were not rotated.

With "Hip Hop (partner)" there were excess girls, but for some reason instead of rotating the teacher told the excess girls to dance with each other.

With "Hip&Jive4Fun", there were equal numbers, the teacher asked people to put up their hand if they were not happy staying with the partner they had, presumably no one did, and the class was not rotated.

Would you put your hand up in such a situation, even if you would prefer to rotate?

How would you feel if the partner you were with put their hand up?

If the partner you were with was someone you did not know, you might not know whether you would be happy to stay with them anyway (assuming that the criteria on which you might base such a decision was their ability as a dancer and not whether they were cute).

I was lucky enough to get a good partner for both classes.
However others may not have been so lucky (e.g. my partners for those classes).

Isn't rotation normally regarded as a good thing anyway?

Paul F
21st-November-2003, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by jiveclone

With "Hip&Jive4Fun", there were equal numbers, the teacher asked people to put up their hand if they were not happy staying with the partner they had, presumably no one did, and the class was not rotated.

I cant believe a teacher asked that to the class :what: :what:

That is a bit out of order.

Jon L
21st-November-2003, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by Paul F
I cant believe a teacher asked that to the class :what: :what:

That is a bit out of order.

No, Mr. Lizard has been unfairly misquoted and we have chinese whispers here

What he said to the class was "does anyone want to rotate?" The reason he did this was because the partners had to be of similar height as their were jive moves involving all four couples.

Rotating may have caused height difficulties, and also we were not in lines, so that is why they were not keen to in this instance.

DavidB
21st-November-2003, 12:49 AM
Rotation at Camber and Bognor can be a nightmare. At Bognor in January I thought we had 5 rows of couples. However it turned out to be 4 rows of couples, and one row of about 40 ladies waiting their turn.

We are supposed to organise it so that people rotate within their own row, but this can get difficult to explain, especially with so many new teachers and dancers at these events. Most dancers aren't used to rotating like this - they automatically form one big group at the side. The spare dancers are usually at the far side of the hall, away from the teachers, and it is impossible to hear what they are saying back to you. And there are very few teachers used to dealing with classes this large on a regular basis.

I think there needs to be some 'marshals' at these events whose job it is to arrange the rows and the rotation. Give them an official t-shirt so that people realise they are doing a job, and not just being bossy. They could keep things consistent so that after the first few workshops, everyone knows what to do. Hopefully then the teachers could concentrate on teaching, and not spending half the workshop trying to organise people.

David

Chris
21st-November-2003, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by DavidB
Rotation at Camber and Bognor can be a nightmare . . .

I think there needs to be some 'marshals' at these events whose job it is to arrange the rows and the rotation.

Agreed - some of the teachers are better at managing it quickly than others. Marshals would take some of the guesswork out.

The thing that always puzzles me about the rotations (all the versions I've seen at the big Jive Festivals as well as elsewhere in the UK) is the way people are lined up so neither can see the teacher properly without craning their necks. The system I saw in Auckland seemed more attuned to teaching dance: both partners faced the stage for the demo/instruction, but when they attempt the move only the man starts facing the stage (ie he can watch the teacher without twisting round) and the follower has no option but concentrate on following her partner. Of course, it means rows parallel to the stage (instead of at right angles), so I'd be wary of bringing it in at big classes or it might mean a half hour's confusion instead of only 15 minutes :devil: :wink:

(It worked quite well on one occasion at Bognor, but it wasn't in the big hall.)

foxylady
21st-November-2003, 01:19 AM
I was wondering if the well attended classes, earlier evening starts and the reduced numbers much later on could be something to do with the impression I got that the average age was a bit older this time especially amongst the men (this was my third November Camber in 4 years). I was particularly struck by this on the Friday evening dance.. I felt postively young!

Haven't been following this thread so apols for backtracking, but have to say I felt extremely young most of the weekend - not something I usually feel at all !!!

DavidB
21st-November-2003, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by Chris
Auckland ... both partners faced the stage for the demo/instruction, but when they attempt the move only the man starts facing the stageInteresting. What way are the teachers facing when you do this? - are they aligned the same way as the class (so the man's back would be facing the class), or are they side on to the class (the normal UK way)

Chris
21st-November-2003, 01:41 AM
Interesting. What way are the teachers facing when you do this? - are they aligned the same way as the class (so the man's back would be facing the class), or are they side on to the class (the normal UK way)

Maybe ask one of the Kiwis - though I think the lines parallel to the stage is fairly consistent. The teachers seemed to do it the 'normal' way or move about to show it from different angles - I guess the method encourages taking it on board cerebrally instead of just trying to 'mirror' the teacher. I noticed the difference when I came back cos the girls tended to be less leadable here since they have to twist out of frame to see the teacher rather than following. And before someone says - no, I'm not adocating adopting it over here - changing the way people do things is probably not worth the effort and might even be counterproductive - just that the other way seems more logical long term IMHO.:what: :nice:

Will
21st-November-2003, 02:52 AM
No, Mr. Lizard has been unfairly misquoted and we have chinese whispers here

What he said to the class was "does anyone want to rotate?"
I wasn't there so I don't want to comment on this particular incedent, but it strikes me that generally, if you are in a class and the teacher asks people if they want to rotate, it's kind of a stupid question to ask... Well how are you gonna feel if your partner raises their hand?

Andy McGregor
21st-November-2003, 10:46 AM

I think there needs to be some 'marshals' at these events whose job it is to arrange the rows and the rotation. Give them an official t-shirt so that people realise they are doing a job, and not just being bossy. They could keep things consistent so that after the first few workshops, everyone knows what to do. Hopefully then the teachers could concentrate on teaching, and not spending half the workshop trying to organise people.

David

I've seen Marshalls at the Party Weekenders in Wales (can't spell Pwhelli with confidence) and Warmwell. I must admit I thought they were a bit of overkill at the time but there was definitely no problem with moving on.

I think that part of the problems with moving on at this years Camber was the people dancing as fixed couples at the back of the room. You weren't sure if they were part of the row or not, were they one of those couples who chat when couples are moving on, were they slow, do I count them, etc:confused:

The other problem was that it was guys moving on much of the time and we can't walk AND count:wink:

Lounge Lizard
21st-November-2003, 12:31 PM
Hi guys rotating in the class
On Sunday it was a rotating and fixed couples in the class I had even numbers in the rotating group so asked if we should move ladies or guys - the general consensus was that everyone was happy to stay together (this was suggested by the dancers in the rotating group not me - so I asked the question
I had announced 3 time's in advance of the class that two guys needed to work together - preferably the same size so by the time we started the groups had become evenly matched.
I (along with Dan) did not see any group struggling with the class or their partners, it was announced as a fun class for a Sunday afternoon and everyone seemed to enjoy it - in fact staying with the same dancers possibly made it more fun.
The whole lesson started with an excuse to try out the end move - if you saw it you would understand why fixed couples suited all.
But the format of two couples dancing together was a success and we hope to repeat it at Bognor
Traditionally this slot has been a fixed couple class (advanced drops and seducers), but because I changed the format we made rotation an option.
In my experience if a class is listed as fixed couples then unless you find a partner before the start many don't bother to go to the class, and dancers can miss out.

Dan's partnered Hip Hop class was similar he was going to rotate but everyone seemed ok with keeping the same partner.

Rotating large classes - I had over 1000 in the Saturday class, we explained the format for rotation and it started well, but one row decided not to move and disrupted the lesson for 10 mins.

Marshals would work well, if there were enough volunteers

On Saturday we used a two row method - away from the stage on row 1 towards the stage on row 2 and queue at the (stage) end - we then repeat this for row 3 & 4, the waiting ladies (or guys) are split into two groups (by me) and asked to move x number up rows 1 & 3, and back down rows 2 & 4 - the other 4 rows were fixed couples.

At one point I asked the rows to move back as they were crowded at the front - this was not possible as they were already at the far back edge of the dance floor.
So considering we had over 1000 dancers on approximately 950m2 dance floor, I think the Saturday class went well.
Obviously I apologise to anyone if not rotating on the Sunday affected the class or their fun.
Should I have insisted on everyone rotating if they IMHO seemed ok sticking in their groups.
(I don't think anyone dropped out and there was a lot of laughter- so that is a good sign)
peter

Sheepman
21st-November-2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by foxylady
I felt extremely young most of the weekend That's how you felt to me too! :wink:
Shame it was just the once, (didn't see you "downstairs").

Greg

Lounge Lizard
22nd-November-2003, 02:22 PM
This point was raised by Steve on Grrrr.. thread - 'walkers' on the dance floor.
At the top end of camber dance floor (by steps) I thought about a 4' wide strip with non slip paint as a walkway cos this is a nightmare walking thru
but would it solve the problem? or would it become an area to stand, reduce dance space and still have problem of 'walkers' on the dance floor?
What do you think?

Would a separate chill out seating area (non smoking) away from the main dance area (games room) be welcome or a waste of time?

any other suggestions on Camber/Bognor

Andy McGregor
22nd-November-2003, 02:46 PM
This point was raised by Steve on Grrrr.. thread - 'walkers' on the dance floor.
At the top end of camber dance floor (by steps) I thought about a 4' wide strip with non slip paint as a walkway cos this is a nightmare walking thru
but would it solve the problem? or would it become an area to stand, reduce dance space and still have problem of 'walkers' on the dance floor?
What do you think?

Good idea. If you painted a cross hatched path with yellow non-slip, dancers couldn't dance on it and at least the driver would get the idea that it was a 'no stopping' area - unless they were turning right:devil: You could even get yellow tape made up that repeated 'no dancing walkway - no stopping' or something equally informative.

Would a separate chill out seating area (non smoking) away from the main dance area (games room) be welcome or a waste of time?

Wast of time for me. I'm there to dance.:waycool:

any other suggestions on Camber/Bognor

Maybe you could turn the Blues Room into a 'Dancers Juke Box' charge a pound for each selection from a pre-approved list (a bit like the numbered list for karaoke). The money raised from each night could go to a nominated charity - which would be nice. And no-one would complain about the DJs selection as it wouldn't be his/hers. I know on one particular night I'd have paid £5 to get the tracks changed:devil:

Chris
22nd-November-2003, 03:11 PM
Maybe you could turn the Blues Room into a 'Dancers Juke Box' charge a pound for each selection from a pre-approved list

I'm so pleased you're kidding. I would not bother going if they didn't have a proper Blues Room - with a proper DJ not a juke box. That would only leave Beach Boogie for good blues facilities. Maybe adjust the DJ slots though. Can't remember the name of that top DJ that one or two said they didn't like - he does play a specific type of 'blues' which has a definite following, but it seems to have a smaller following than Trampy, Chin etc

Lounge Lizard
22nd-November-2003, 03:20 PM
I'm so pleased you're kidding. I would not bother going if they didn't have a proper Blues Room - with a proper DJ not a juke box. That would only leave Beach Boogie for good blues facilities. Maybe adjust the DJ slots though. Can't remember the name of that top DJ that one or two said they didn't like - he does play a specific type of 'blues' which has a definite following, but it seems to have a smaller following than Trampy, Chin etc
There will be a dedicated blues room at the Blackpool champs on the Saturday night.
p

Andy McGregor
22nd-November-2003, 06:54 PM
I'm so pleased you're kidding. I would not bother going if they didn't have a proper Blues Room - with a proper DJ not a juke box.

No, I'm not kidding. The trick would be in the writing of the list. If each DJ produced their list and the dancers only had blues type tracks to choose from you'd still have a blues room but it might give the consumer what they want. Maybe Franco could do it as an experiment on the Friday or Sunday night. People would have been saved from the problem scenario that developed on the Sunday night if they'd seen the menu of tracks they had to choose from...

Can't remember the name of that top DJ that one or two said they didn't like - he does play a specific type of 'blues' which has a definite following, but it seems to have a smaller following than Trampy, Chin etc

Don't name him. It wasn't really fair to judge him based on that one night. His true fan base just were not there because it was a modern jive weekend. I believe that if a top DJ who was very popular for playing 50s R&R or House or Garage or NuSkool or anything else that was difficult to MJ to had come along we'd have left them playing to an empty room too. On this occasion, out of probably 500 people who stayed up late on Sunday night the split went something like this.

Other DJ = 2
Trampster = 498

On that basis the Trampster was 249 times more popular that the alternative - the Tramp can now claim he's more popular that the most popular catfood:devil: . A statistic that is difficult to ignore. But, to a different audience the figures would probably have been reversed.:wink:

Chris
22nd-November-2003, 07:34 PM
No, I'm not kidding. The trick would be in the writing of the list. If each DJ produced their list and the dancers only had blues type tracks to choose from you'd still have a blues room but it might give the consumer what they want.
:what:
A bit extreme though don't you think? Apart from the technicalities of it, which might be overcomable, it's back to the thread about whether a DJ can be replaced. As far as I remember there was a strong feeling in favour of retaining a live DJ. Maybe some blues dancers would be happy with the jukebox of fave blues tunes but it wouldn't do it for me personally.

Lounge Lizard
22nd-November-2003, 09:45 PM
No, I'm not kidding. The trick would be in the writing of the list. If each DJ produced their list and the dancers only had blues type tracks to choose from you'd still have a blues room but it might give the consumer what they want.

So We are ok to find the tracks but not capable of selecting them for the dancer - all this on the basis of one guy getting it wrong once late on a Sunday, yet I have known you to actively support DJ's/Teachers who have made getting it wrong into a fine art form.
I think if DJ's were asked to do this we would vote with our feet, but perhaps I am in a minority with this opinion.

How many dancers know the names of the blues room tracks - I could probably produce a list of over 100 blues tracks - that are great and you would not recognise any of them, let alone select the best dance ones.Or we could select the 50 popular ones and keep repeating them.

Why don't you devote the next 12 months researching, collecting and selecting great blues tracks, ask Franco for a DJ slot and show us all where we are going wrong.
Or better still publish your list and we will tell you what tracks to play

Politicians.....wish they would stick to bloody dancing

Chris
23rd-November-2003, 08:49 AM
When I first started going to Camber, it wasn't uncommon to finish dancing at 6am (or even later). I guess that the Pontins staff were more accomodating in those days?

Lizard - if you're involved in the organisation at all as you probably are - might not this be something worth clarifying?

The late night (ie to 6am) dances are my favourites - very relaxed, well attended by the 'stayers' but dancefloors with room to move, great dancing to watch or the coolest time of night to become one with the mood and the music. I usually have a wee nap earlier so I don't miss it.
:waycool:
(I'd better not be too enthusiastic or he'll tell me why it's a cr*p idea :na: )
:blush:

Andy McGregor
23rd-November-2003, 11:36 PM
I have known you to actively support DJ's/Teachers who have made getting it wrong into a fine art form.

Mr LL, I have supported you in the past and will continue to do so in the future...

:devil: :devil: :devil:

p.s. I know I've supported other people too. Sometimes they get it wrong (IMHO) and when they do I don't withdraw my support - I am hearty in my praise and also in my negative feedback. If I were to use a restaurant analogy, I complain in restaurants that I intend to use again because I'd like to see them improve due to the feeback they receive - I never say a word to restaurants I'm never going to use again, what would be the point?

Andy McGregor
24th-November-2003, 01:08 AM
I've been thinking. The Jive Jukebox idea I had is rubbish, I'm surprised more people didn't say so. It's an alternative to DJs who play music that hardly anyone wants to dance to and would ensure that at least some dancers got what they liked. But that's all. I've had another idea, why don't we just have DJs that play music people that go to Camber want to dance to:wink:

Mikey
24th-November-2003, 01:33 AM
I've been thinking. The Jive Jukebox idea I had is rubbish, I'm surprised more people didn't say so. It's an alternative to DJs who play music that hardly anyone wants to dance to and would ensure that at least some dancers got what they liked. But that's all. I've had another idea, why don't we just have DJs that play music people that go to Camber want to dance to:wink:

why don't you organise it yourself Andy since obviuosly Franco and those that help are incapable in your opinion eh !!!

stewart38
24th-November-2003, 11:00 AM
I wasn't at the event but seems most of the thread is people (one person in particular) moaning about different things

Did anyone have a good time and/or recommend it ?

ps what was the average age ?

It seems to me in one or two events I have been to recently the average age is creeping up and up

:confused:

Andy McGregor
24th-November-2003, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by stewart38
I wasn't at the event but seems most of the thread is people (one person in particular) moaning about different things

That must be me. I had a fantastic time at Camber. Apart from 10 minutes where there was no music. I complained about that and many people agreed with me both on this thread and via PM. Additionally, Rachel and I have had a very friendly exchange of PMs and have made our peace:hug:

Many other people have complained about other aspects of Camber but they didn't get the strident reaction that my complaint got. So everyone forgot those other complaints. I've learnt 2 important lessons here.

Lesson 1 - If I moan about something on this Forum and people disagree with me I run the risk that I will receive personal attacks, some of which have nothing to do with the thing I moaned about:tears:

Lesson 2 - If you agree with a complaint or whinge but want everyone to remember it you should disagree with the complainer in as LOUD a manner as possible. That way it seems to get everyone going:wink:

So, as I said, I had a fantastic Camber. I never noticed the age of anyone, danced with just about everyone I could get to, got asked to dance all the time, never got turned down for a dance once, loved 99% of the music did 3 lessons where I learnt new stuff, oh, and had a few hours sleep:waycool:

And because I loved Camber so much I've made suggestions about how I believe it could be improved, and, rather than just express my (no-so-humble) opinion to the organiser, I've asked people in here if they hold the same view as I do. Now I know that some people agree with me and that some don't. What has happened subsequently is that some people have made a "soap opera story" out of my comments.

Soap Opera Story - To take something someone has done or said and create a story based on it that is complete fabrication and never actually happened except in the imagination. For example making the meaning of a person who has said 'no' to a request for a dance become 'you're short, ageing, balding and dressed as a woman, I wouldn't be seen dead dancing with you' - it never happened, but in your head you make it real (although in this case it probably was:tears: )

p.s. Did I say I loved Camber? Who's going to Bognor?

Chris
24th-November-2003, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by stewart38
Did anyone have a good time and/or recommend it ?
ps what was the average age ?

Nah - it's just that Cambers has been the big cherry on the icing for so long now everyone seems to take it a bit for granted and has a wee niggle. Since Cambers started there have been other events (some of them claiming quality over quantity) but it's hard to beat the sheer scale of Cambers (with Bognor a close second). We are talking 1500 jivers in one space, two dance floors non-stop till the early hours of the morning or at least till 5am, a choice of two workshops every hour and a half from about 9am, on-site massage facilities, a waterworld (at Bognor), a unique atmosphere, choice of lots of top and new teachers and DJs, ridiculously cheap all-in price that covers self-catering accommodation adjacent to the dancing, all the workshops and freestyles, cabarets, parking - honestly, there is nothing that comes close.

These winging oddballs are like kiddies in a tuck shop feeling ill from eating too many sweets and complaining that the pink liquorice on the cucarachas wasn't as chewy as the ones before they made themselves feel sick.

But the real magic of Cambers/Bognor is the people experience - not only so many dancers but experiencing total dance-sensory-overload with other people you know: looking at each other totally lost for words and just riding on the crest of an enormous jive tidal wave that leaves you breathless and hyperventilated at the same time - not thinking 'what shall I go to' but 'what can I bear to miss so I can get a couple of hours sleep'.

Then after a year or two of that you think you'll just be cool and smell the roses, watch the first timers with eyes popping out their heads and saunter along to the Saturday night ball in your best outfit as if it was a spur of the moment decision.

The people I've been privileged to share with each time have just been soooooooo special - getting together at Cambers can feel like meeting up with someone you know at a Koh Pan Yang beach party, thousands of miles from home, and experiencing something that is momentous.

The fact that it's so big and still manages to sell out months in advance is testimony, and just to try and genuinely share that here are a few pics of some of my wonderful chalet mates from different Cambers.

xxx
Chris

ps - average age - out of that many people it's whatever you want it to be - I've seen dance floors with mostly youngsters, or typical cross section, or whatever - not many kiddies whining about the lack of a jukebox admittedly (but some people don't even know when they're winding you up
:wink: )

Chris
24th-November-2003, 12:22 PM
another one - staggering about the dance floor . . .

Chris
24th-November-2003, 12:25 PM
arranged in theoretically wakeful state outside the chalet . . .

Lounge Lizard
24th-November-2003, 12:49 PM
That must be me. I had a fantastic time at Camber. Apart from 10 minutes where there was no music. I complained about that
So, as I said, I had a fantastic Camber. I loved 99% of the music
Maybe you could turn the Blues Room into a 'Dancers Juke Box' charge a pound for each selection from a pre-approved list ....And no-one would complain about the DJs selection
I've been thinking. The Jive Jukebox idea I had is rubbish, I'm surprised more people didn't say so. It's an alternative to DJs who play music that hardly anyone wants to dance to and would ensure that at least some dancers got what they liked. But that's all. I've had another idea, why don't we just have DJs that play music people that go to Camber want to dance to
What do you think?
And because I loved Camber so much I've made suggestions about how I believe it could be improved,
Good idea. If you painted a cross hatched path with yellow non-slip, dancers couldn't dance on it and at least the driver would get the idea that it was a 'no stopping' area - unless they were turning right You could even get yellow tape made up that repeated 'no dancing walkway - no stopping' or something equally informative.
No comment

Andy McGregor
24th-November-2003, 02:14 PM
No comment

Thanks LL, you proved my point perfectly. You've shown I have made constructive suggestions about aspects of Camber that I and others have brought up. No conclusions, but a varied and lively debate. In my opinion that's just what the Forum is for:wink:

Mikey
24th-November-2003, 02:19 PM
Thanks LL, you proved my point perfectly. You've shown I have made constructive suggestions about aspects of Camber that I and others have brought up. No conclusions, but a varied and lively debate. In my opinion that's just what the Forum is for:wink:

Sadly you missed what was really the message there Andy.. :wink:

Sheepman
24th-November-2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Mikey
Sadly you missed what was really the message there Andy.. :wink: It seems I did as well then :confused:

Greg

Mikey
24th-November-2003, 03:19 PM
It seems I did as well then :confused:

Greg

ask LL privately, i'm sure he will explain..