PDA

View Full Version : Enabling Javascript

jivecat
24th-July-2008, 03:05 PM
I'm having trouble logging on to Multimap because it says
"You must be using a modern, standards-compliant browser with JavaScript enabled. " As far as I was concerned I was, and it was working fine until a couple of weeks ago when I downloaded some new anti-virus software. (Avast) Now it won't let me download things like new versions of Firefox or Internet Explorer and I can't log into Ebay (Oh woe, disaster) because
"your browser settings prevent you from automatically redirecting to a new URL."

I've fiddled about as best I can with security settings but they are all at normal or medium. Any ideas what I can try next? If all else fails I could restore it back to 2 weeks ago and se if that works.

Dreadful Scathe
24th-July-2008, 03:09 PM
type in msconfig into the run box from the START menu - untick any avast calls in the startup section and reboot and try again - then you'll know its avast :)

jivecat
24th-July-2008, 03:21 PM
Done that but there didn't seem to be anything listed for avast.

Dreadful Scathe
24th-July-2008, 03:32 PM
well you have nothing to lose from uninstalling avast, trying it and reinstalling again - i would do this quickly actually in case it isnt avast thats the problem ;)

TA Guy
24th-July-2008, 04:30 PM
You don't actually say what flavour of browser you are attempting to use, but 'Do not allow redirects' and 'Disabling Javascript' are pretty much universal options in any browser. It sounds like Avast has prolly moved your browser security settings to 'high' or something.

For example, Meta refreshes (redirects) can be enabled or disabled from the security settings in I.E. etc.

A quick way round it would be to either to find the relevant options and re-enable, or move to a lower security model (which you seem to have tried, not low enough?). Both have security implications, but in the two you mention, javascript and redirects, most users have them enabled.

jivecat
24th-July-2008, 10:49 PM
You don't actually say what flavour of browser you are attempting to use, but 'Do not allow redirects' and 'Disabling Javascript' are pretty much universal options in any browser. It sounds like Avast has prolly moved your browser security settings to 'high' or something.

For example, Meta refreshes (redirects) can be enabled or disabled from the security settings in I.E. etc.

A quick way round it would be to either to find the relevant options and re-enable, or move to a lower security model (which you seem to have tried, not low enough?). Both have security implications, but in the two you mention, javascript and redirects, most users have them enabled.

I am using Internet Explorer as a browser. I've just had a look in the tool section and nowhere does it seem to say explicitly "enable javascript". Is it likely to be phrased in a different way?

DavidY
24th-July-2008, 11:27 PM
I am using Internet Explorer as a browser. I've just had a look in the tool section and nowhere does it seem to say explicitly "enable javascript". Is it likely to be phrased in a different way?I found something in my version (IE6), by looking in Tools | Internet Options, and click on the "Security" tab.

This will tell you your Security Level setting for "Internet" - what's yours set to at the moment?

From this screen, if I push the "Custom Level" button; near the end of the list is "Scripting of Java Applets". I wonder if this is the one to change?

jivecat
24th-July-2008, 11:50 PM
I found something in my version (IE6), by looking in Tools | Internet Options, and click on the "Security" tab.

This will tell you your Security Level setting for "Internet" - what's yours set to at the moment?

From this screen, if I push the "Custom Level" button; near the end of the list is "Scripting of Java Applets". I wonder if this is the one to change?

Yes, I found the Java applets, but haven't meddled with their scripting so far. They sound cute, don't they, like miniature, bite-sized, baby apples clamouring around the mummy apple.

I'm pleased to report that I have now been able to log on to Ebay as this time the log-in page wanted the info manually instead of using a cookie (I think this is the reason, but it could be the fairy inside the screen waving her wand for all I know.)) so am now free once more to continue wasting hours looking at worthless trash that I'm not intending to buy. Also I have made Multimap work by clicking on the "use basic site" button, and ignoring the bit about the super-duper interactive site. Aren't computers wonderful?

I still haven't solved the problem of being unable to download stuff from sites though. I found the Meta-refresh button and changed that but no idea if it's made any difference.

Thanks for your help, everyone.