PDA

View Full Version : foot ache

natallen
22nd-July-2008, 10:34 AM
In recent weeks I've been getting a lot of pain in one foot after dancing.

Does anybody know of a good person to see in the greater London area (podiatrist/foot doctor) to get diagnosed and treated?:grin:

Filthy Monkey
22nd-July-2008, 10:59 AM
Hi Natallen and welcome to the forum :)

My friend is a podiatrist in Blackheath. I'll give her a call and see if I can get the name of someone. Where are you based?

Twirly
22nd-July-2008, 11:22 AM
Go and see your GP. I have assorted problems with my feet and got referred to a podiatrist on the NHS. It's taken a while, but am hoping that it'll get sorted.

Lory
22nd-July-2008, 03:10 PM
I've been recommended to see this guy! Apparently he's good!

Find a local Chiropodist or Podiatrist detail template (http://www.feetforlife.org/cgi-site/chiropodist.cgi?action=detail&id=236145)

Filthy Monkey
22nd-July-2008, 03:32 PM
What kind of pain are you getting?

natallen
22nd-July-2008, 04:30 PM
I'll be moving to Ealing in 2 weeks. The pain is in the arch.

Thanks for speedy reply!

ducasi
22nd-July-2008, 04:48 PM
Sounds like it could be the start of Plantar Fasciitis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantar_fasciitis) – a not-uncommon condition around these parts.

Basically it's caused by poor arch support. You should make sure your dance shoes are giving you good arch support. If they are not, you should either chuck them and get ones that are, or get insoles which give the support your arches need.

When you see a podiatrist, they'll give you a pair of insoles, call them "orthotics" and charge you a lot of money.

Hope your feet feel better soon! :flower:

cat
22nd-July-2008, 05:06 PM
I had some problems with foot pains, and at the time i was wearing high heels a lot. I started wearing flat shoes most of the time, and kept the heels for dancing. Seemed to sort my foot problems out as i rarely get the pains now, but no idea whether it might help you

eeyore
22nd-July-2008, 08:42 PM
Sounds like it could be the start of Plantar Fasciitis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantar_fasciitis) – a not-uncommon condition around these parts.

Basically it's caused by poor arch support. You should make sure your dance shoes are giving you good arch support. If they are not, you should either chuck them and get ones that are, or get insoles which give the support your arches need.

When you see a podiatrist, they'll give you a pair of insoles, call them "orthotics" and charge you a lot of money.

Hope your feet feel better soon! :flower:
I had this for quite a while, my usual physio sorted it out & gave me stretching exercises to help it - took a while to go completely but it only needed 1 session. I tend to wear supporting insoles these days (which you can get from eg Boots), & I find that a small heel as opposed to 2.5" or totally flat was the least likely to leave me hobbling the next morning...

Donna
23rd-July-2008, 09:54 AM
I had a really sore foot for two weeks a couple of weeks ago.. it started looking yellow and swollen to the point I couldn't move it let alone walk on it. Turned out I somehow got an infection and had to go on anti-biotics which made my stomach bad for a week too. (felt like I spent most of my life stuck to the toilet seat! :rofl:) It's cleared up now, but me reckons it was because I had an inflamed tendon and it became infected.

natallen
24th-July-2008, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the variety of info. Actually I've just come back from a podiatrists I spotted on a bus yesterday. £10 consultation fee, diagnosis in 10 minutes and a solution - inserts in my shoes.

Apparently my middle 3 toes are progressively further off the ground. I'm only using my big and little toes, causing the foot to roll and strain the ligaments.

My overall posture should improve too.

Hopefully this will work, but I'm grateful for all the alternatives which I may investigate.

Filthy Monkey
24th-July-2008, 02:07 PM
Good luck with the inserts. Let us know how you get on... :)