PDA

View Full Version : Nice helpful people last night

Jon L
29th-October-2003, 06:41 PM
I have just started doing some basic salsa recently.

Anyway I was at a venue in Surrey where salsa and jive are taught on the same night by the same teacher (Mr Lizard and David B have been there). I was struggling in the salsa classes and during the freestyle two of the women who were reasonable salsa dancers, came helped and encouraged me and were patient, and I started picking things up

They wern'r official taxis (I think), but they were great (Hi if you are reading this).

I must say it's fun being a beginner again!

:) :) :)

ChrisA
29th-October-2003, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Jon L

Anyway I was at a venue in Surrey where salsa and jive are taught on the same night by the same teacher (Mr Lizard and David B have been there). I was struggling in the salsa classes and during the freestyle two of the women who were reasonable salsa dancers, came helped and encouraged me and were patient, and I started picking things up

They wern'r official taxis (I think), but they were great (Hi if you are reading this).

Where was that Jon?

Chris

bigdjiver
29th-October-2003, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by Jon L

My experience of Salsa is very limited. As an inept beginner I found that very few ladies would dance with me.

I wonder if the helpful attitude was a crossover from modern jive, or more general?

Jon L
30th-October-2003, 12:41 AM
Chris I have PM'd you the venue and where you can find it.

Yes I am a total beginner at Salsa, I have done five classes I think, but this was just a tiny bit of freestyle to pratice.

The ladies were saying to me just do the basic footwork all the time, then try the arm movements.

Viktor has said that the big mistake jivers make in salsa, is stepping forwards for a lady turn , in salsa it is backwards.

What of course you don't have to learn again is the lead and follow concept, as you'll know it through modern jive.

I wonder if Mr. Lizard is reading this and can give some advice on the differences?

Jon

Gadget
30th-October-2003, 02:53 PM
Took me an age to get the footwork, but the main difference I found was that it was so hard to actually 'lead' a lady in "freestyle" mode. That and I kept trying to turn a lady on the 'wrong foot'. And the music got boring.

Over all I found that the footwork really helped my sense of position and where my body should be.

Ask the Tramp - he's started recently as well.