PDA

View Full Version : Glittery shoe dilemma

Smiley Sue
29th-June-2008, 11:34 PM
I wore a pair of glittery dance sandals for the first time yesterday:nice:, & whilst I was aware that they feel rough & gritty on the outside surface, I didn't appreciate the negative ramifications to my clothes!!:sad: As a Westie, I always wear trousers for dancing:whistle:, so I will encounter this again & again if I wish to continue to wear sparkly shoes. I could feel occasionally that the shoes were catching on the inside of my trousers, but to my horror discovered that the rough surface had actually caught in the stitching & unravelled my trouser hem!!:tears: I really love my new shoes, & I see plenty of other Westies wearing the same style, so there must be a solution. I am hoping that I can simply spray something onto my shoes to smooth the surface out, rather than having to protect each pair of dance trousers from said shoes:confused: Any advice will be gratefully received.

SueX:)

Andy McGregor
30th-June-2008, 12:09 AM
Wundaweb will sort out your hem without stitching.

Who said looking fab would be painless?

Lynn
30th-June-2008, 01:42 AM
Not loads of help at this point but for future ref - you can get smooth glitter fabrics in Heavenlies that won't catch - sparkly but smooth. (I have a pair that is a combination of both but the rough glitter is on the heels and doesn't seem to catch on things, the smooth is on the shoe itself.)

Andy McGregor
30th-June-2008, 09:04 AM
Oh, and my other advice is to buy a nice, new, glittery dress ...

Lynn, one of my shopping buddies, says buy more shoes. I say buy a new dress. I think I can feel a shopping trip coming on. A trip to Heavenly dance shoes would be a good start to the day. Then what?

dep
30th-June-2008, 09:15 AM
Oh, and my other advice is to buy a nice, new, glittery dress ...Why?
I think my old one is good enough.

Andy McGregor
30th-June-2008, 09:29 AM
Why?
I think my old one is good enough.:rofl:

I can't even understand this. Possibly the most gibberish ever written on a dance forum :confused:

fletch
30th-June-2008, 09:48 AM
I wear sparkley shoes, to dance and to walk into a venue, some of them are very rine stoned, and I have to paint the shoe with clear nail varnish or clear varnish. it will help with the spangles stoping on the shoe, it will help make it a bit smoother, but it dose depend on how sparkly the shoe is, Maddie has some I would think they are more tlike the ones you have and thay are like sand paper, there's not a lot you can do with them.

Twirly
30th-June-2008, 10:06 AM
I was asking once how to stop the glitter coming off shoes, and someone on here advised spraying with hairspray - wonder if that would work?

Would three-quarter length trousers suit you?

And if you want to invest in other shoes, then Lynn's advice is good. I have the most sparkly pair of Topline (http://www.shoesforballroom.com/item.asp?id=541#)line dancing shoes which might be good for you as well. A bit like wearing glitterballs on my feet :D And they're comfortable too.

Cruella
30th-June-2008, 01:09 PM
I bought some beautiful glittery shoes from Heavenly a while back. They are high, so I wear them with a dress usually, but the glitter is really rough and I end up with scratches all over my ankles, forget wearing nylons with them as the laddered look isn't that attractive! They are my dress to impress dance shoes and don't get an airing very often. :sad:
Apart from wearing cropped trousers I don't think there is a solution. Sorry Sue.

jivecat
30th-June-2008, 05:48 PM
Do you think it might also depend on what the trousers were made of, e.g., cotton drill or jeans might be tougher than viscose or polyester?

Agente Secreto
30th-June-2008, 06:17 PM
I wore a pair of glittery dance sandals for the first time yesterday, & whilst I was aware that they feel rough & gritty on the outside surface, I didn't appreciate the negative ramifications to my clothes!! As a Westie, I always wear trousers for dancing, so I will encounter this again & again if I wish to continue to wear sparkly shoes. I could feel occasionally that the shoes were catching on the inside of my trousers, but to my horror discovered that the rough surface had actually caught in the stitching & unravelled my trouser hem!! I really love my new shoes, & I see plenty of other Westies wearing the same style, so there must be a solution. I am hoping that I can simply spray something onto my shoes to smooth the surface out, rather than having to protect each pair of dance trousers from said shoes Any advice will be gratefully received.

Sue, not owning a pair of glittery shoes I'm stretching a bit to understand your dilemma. Thankfully I've also never experienced Fletch's laddered tights, I tend to find my socks are made of much sterner stuff and like to think that they make my legs look just as nice:rolleyes:

Spraying something on the shoes (like a clear varnish or like substance) might deal with the roughness but you might find that your feet can't breathe and your shoes are able to walk off the dance floor on their own by the end of the night. :eek: Mind you, could be good for clearing space around your slot.....................

Have you thought about putting some tape on the inside of the trousers, over the stitching at the bottom to protect it. I was thinking masking tape rather than Duct Tape (although the latter does come in a range of attractive colours now of course):waycool:

~*~Saligal~*~
1st-July-2008, 05:29 AM
Spraying the shoes with hairspray may make the glittery fabric a little dull - as it can do with diamonte earrings if you don't protect them when you spray your hair.

Rhythm King
1st-July-2008, 08:50 AM
I know you've sorted the problem, but I still think the best solution would be a nice floral print dress in a lovely pastel shade... :devil:

Smiley Sue
1st-July-2008, 09:17 AM
Thank you for all the advice peeps:hug:

I might try some haispray/varnish
I will consider taping trouser hems
I will choose trouser/shoe combinations more carefully dependent on material type
I will wear some cropped trousers (as long as you all promise not to laugh at my scary white legs:eek:)
I have looked at the Topline site, & the girls shoes are the only ones that are suitable for WCS. None look that sparkly, but I am considering some anyway

And last night at Trent park I found the ultimate solution - buy more shoes!!! They had a red shiny pair, which look just as nice as my red sparkly pair but definitely won't catch, so I simply had to buy them:whistle:

However, I have introduced sandals & colour & even some clothing items which could be considered 'girlie' into my dance wardrobe, but I will not be buying a glittery, pastel or flowery dress....that is simply a step too far:rofl:

dep
1st-July-2008, 10:09 AM
...........I will wear some cropped trousers (as long as you all promise not to laugh at my scary white legs:eek:)...........show me an ankle and I'll show you mine. And I might even swoon.

Lynn
1st-July-2008, 10:14 AM
And last night at Trent park I found the ultimate solution - buy more shoes!!! They had a red shiny pair, which look just as nice as my red sparkly pair but definitely won't catch, so I simply had to buy them:whistle:
'Buy more shoes' can be the solution to so much....:D

And yes, you had to buy them. Definitely.