PDA

View Full Version : Yoyos

Steven666
25th-June-2008, 01:08 PM
Simply of the two more known basic variations, which do you prefer?

- the ceroc one where the lead turns 180d to face the follower to go it the how position

or

- the non-ceroc one where the lead remains facing the same direction bringing the follower in front of them.

And why is there two versions? I've seen it confuse beginners!

gebandemuishond
25th-June-2008, 01:38 PM
I thought Ceroc used to teach the non turning version, but have now seen the light and realised how much more sense it makes to have the leader turn 180 degrees. I might be wrong though, havn't really been round long enough to make these authoritative claims...

Dan

ducasi
25th-June-2008, 01:40 PM
The "ceroc" one is the "new" ceroc one, about 4-5 years old maybe? (Before my time too.)

The other one is what ceroc used to teach. I've never been taught the this style of yo-yo.

I voted "neither" as my own yo-yo is different from both of them.

ducasi
25th-June-2008, 01:50 PM
Further reading...

http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/beginners-corner/3726-yo-yo.html

http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/lets-talk-about-dance/4515-ceroc-changed-yoyo.html

Tessalicious
25th-June-2008, 02:13 PM
Yoyo's what? Yoyo's dog? Yoyo's dance partner? Or perhaps, Yoyo's yoyo?

Grrrrrr to apostrophe crimes :mad:

Filthy Monkey
25th-June-2008, 02:22 PM
Grrrrrr to apostrophe crimes :mad:

:yeah: :D

dep
25th-June-2008, 02:27 PM
why is there two versions?

Yoyo's what? Yoyo's dog? Yoyo's dance partner? Or perhaps, Yoyo's yoyo?

Grrrrrr to apostrophe crimes :mad:"is" is worse.

The current Ceroc Yoyo is the one and only that I have been taught.
Leroc tried to teach me a 90degree version, but they failed. There's only so much my brain can cope with.

Now where's the string to continue this thread?

David Bailey
25th-June-2008, 03:05 PM
:yeah: :D

:wink:

Steven666
25th-June-2008, 03:27 PM
I is an noob.

Tessalicious
25th-June-2008, 05:35 PM
"is" is worse.I could'nt forse myself to reed the actually post, that would of brung me out in a rash

(Sorry Steven, don't take it personally, I've just been trained to be a professional pedant so I'm practising :grin:)

ducasi
25th-June-2008, 06:46 PM
... I've just been trained to be a professional pedant so I'm practising
You mean there's money to be made in pedantry? Where do I sign?

Gadget
26th-June-2008, 01:17 PM
Simply of the two more known basic variations, which do you prefer?Define "prefer": Lead more often? like the feel of more? Can execute better?...

There are important differences in leading the moves, although the hand/arm movement may be similar. I believe it was changed because the 'current' way to lead it is less likely to injure beginners who don't move their feet and don't understand very much about lead/follow.

the ceroc one where the lead turns 180d to face the follower to go it the how position
This is the one most are familiar with:

R-R hold
Lead steps back left
Step in side to side, lead folding R arm across chest so that the hand is at the left shoulder. Should be approx hip to hip.
Lead transfers weight to left leg* while unfolding right arm out to the right, aiming for the follower's far hip. Follower pivots 180º on the outside foot to face the same direction as the lead. Follower's left hand normally rests on lead's closest shoulder.
The lead pivots clockwise on their right foot to face their partner while raising the right hand to shoulder height infront of their right shoulder changing to a flat, palm to palm hold, blocking the follower's movement to the lead's right.

From here the follower is either sent into a free-spin by pushing down to the left, or turned clockwise by raising the hand
Follower comes round to face, lower and step back.
- the non-ceroc one where the lead remains facing the same direction bringing the follower in front of them.
Substitute the italic section with this:

Lead steps diagonally back to the right while arcing the right hand forward infront of them at waist level, then raising to infront of their right shoulder changing to a flat, palm to palm hold, blocking the follower's movement to the lead's right.This contains much more prospect of shoulder renching because if the lead does not move, then it relies on the follower coming all the way back to where they started from and a bit more (started side-to-side - the follower should be infront of the lead at the end of this section) If they don't, then the lead's arm tends to be out to the side where you don't have the support of the main shoulder muscles to resist against the follower (who now only turns 180º rather than 270º as they should)

It's a nice 'swooshy' move with loads of potential for rondes from the follower. But if it's not led properly, the lead could end up with a sore shoulder.

And why is there two versions? I've seen it confuse beginners!Why two versions? Because the second version was taught as one of the core "beginner" moves for a long time. Then someone changed it to still teach the same movements, but replace the potential for injury with a potental for styling.

The only confusion I have seen is from people kind of doing half of both and ending up 90º from the teaching slot. But whether this is trying to do one of them (badly) or intentional I don't know.

Agente Secreto
26th-June-2008, 02:33 PM
I've never seen anyone teach the version of the Yo-Yo where the lead does not turn - but I'm sure it's out there somewhere. I'd think Gadget's view of the potential for damage to the shoulder from this move being led by a largely static beginner lead is spot on.

Where I go (independent venue so I'm not the authority on the approved Ceroc approach) we teach a slight difference to the description Gadget gives:

This is the one most are familiar with:

R-R hold
Lead steps back left
Step in side to side, lead folding R arm across chest so that the hand is at the left shoulder. Should be approx hip to hip.
Lead transfers weight to left leg* while unfolding right arm out to the right, aiming for the follower's far hip. Follower pivots 180º on the outside foot to face the same direction as the lead. Follower's left hand normally rests on lead's closest shoulder.
The lead pivots clockwise on their right foot to face their partner while raising the right hand to shoulder height infront of their right shoulder changing to a flat, palm to palm hold, blocking the follower's movement to the lead's right.
From here the follower is either sent into a free-spin by pushing down to the left, or turned clockwise by raising the hand
Follower comes round to face, lower and step back.
Instead of the bullets above in bold substitute the following

Lead takes small step forward on right foot while unfolding right arm out to the right, aiming for the follower's far hip. Follower pivots 180º on the outside foot to face the same direction as the lead. Follower's left hand normally rests on lead's closest shoulder.
The lead pivots clockwise on their right foot to face their partner while raising the right hand to shoulder height in front of their right shoulder with the forearm vertical. Follows pivot 45º anti CW. Lead blocks the follow's movement using contact between forearms.
Use this contact to send the follow back the other way (CW) lifting hand over head as they turn The reason for the slight step forward on the right foot is to create a bt of space between lead and follow that help you in getting the right arm into position. We don't go into the flat palm on a normal Yo-Yo, that is reserved for a variation which is the Yo-Yo Pushpin.

Filthy Monkey
26th-June-2008, 02:36 PM
I'll join you in giving a :na: I got a neg rep too for my :yeah: post. :D

For the record, I do prefer the second version of the Yoyo. In saying that, I don't really see it as two versions. More of an evolution, as the original version is the one I was first taught in Ceroc when I started dancing...

David Bailey
26th-June-2008, 02:39 PM
http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/faq.php?faq=csf_howdoi#faq_csf_howdopower
- last paragraph

Filthy Monkey
26th-June-2008, 02:57 PM
Well, it's a good job we're not complaining then, isn't it...? :D

David Bailey
26th-June-2008, 03:39 PM
Well, it's a good job we're not complaining then, isn't it...? :D
*David looks longingly at the rep button, but decides he's in a mature mood today. Damnit*

Filthy Monkey
26th-June-2008, 03:42 PM
Go on... You know I deserve some positive rep for that!!! :wink:

Steven666
26th-June-2008, 06:53 PM
Go on... You know I deserve some positive rep for that!!! :wink:

Seems I can't spread the love anymore.

*smacks head against wall*

Steven666
26th-June-2008, 06:59 PM
Big :hug: to all of those who sent me positive rep for this comment, and a big :na: to the one person who neg repped me...

Thank you. I have now seen the light.

Gadget
30th-June-2008, 12:32 PM
Lead takes small step forward on right foot while unfolding right arm out to the right, aiming for the follower's far hip. Follower pivots 180º on the outside foot to face the same direction as the lead. Follower's left hand normally rests on lead's closest shoulder.
The lead pivots clockwise on their right foot to face their partner while raising the right hand to shoulder height in front of their right shoulder :confused: If you take a step forward on the right foot, then you must start pivoting at this point - otherwise your weight is now fully on your right foot and you have nothing to push-off from to actually pivot on this foot* - the next "logical" weight transfer is to the left foot and it's stuck behind/to the side. I think this is a very aquard way to move yourself.

(* You move your feet between steps. ie while stepping from one foot to another. Try putting all your weight on one foot. And then pivoting on it. Now try stepping onto that foot and into a pivot at the same time.)

with the forearm vertical. Follows pivot 45º anti CW. Lead blocks the follow's movement using contact between forearms.
Use this contact to send the follow back the other way (CW) lifting hand over head as they turn :yeah: neglected to say that there should be contact with the fore-arms. The block should still come from the hand, but the fore-arm is a nice 'buffer' that ensures you are properly aligned with your partner.
I think that you will find it hard (/uncomfortable) to be in anything but a flat handed hold when coming in fore-arm to fore-arm. It's the lead out of it that makes it either a push-spin (down) or a turn (up). Anything undecided in the middle of these (ie horizontal) will either garrot your partner or hit them in the face. I find it better to avoid this option.

Birlmeister
2nd-July-2008, 01:40 PM
There is no awkward handhold if a loose ceroc hold is kept for a basic push-spin. I find it easier to lead this way as it helps diferentiate between the basic yo-yo and yo-yo push-spin. If a flat hand is maintained for both, it may be confusing for a beginner as they are told "if offered a flat hand it means you are going for a spin" If leading a basic yo-yo with a flat hand and your partner expects, from the lead given, a push-spin, then you may end up giving them a forearm across the face. Not good for your dancing rep.